• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LyR

Banned
Bgamer90 said:

Also, EA Canada (the same ones that made the previous SSX games) is making Deadly Descents, so yeah, the game wasn't handed over to anyone new.

You do know that in pretty much every modern industry the staff changes all the time ?! After all this years it's more than possible that it won't have the same people who worked on SSX1, Tricky & 3. (hell I don't even think that each mentioned SSX game had the exact same staff)

or do you believe that RARE is still the same RARE it was 15 years ago even though major employees left the studio after Microsoft bought them... there're endless examples... for instance Free Radical Design (Time Splitter) is now Crytek UK, but it's still not the same Free Radical Design at all because only half the staff were taken over.

gondee

This is too funny. First 2 results on google from SSX Deadly Descents:

ssxddlol.gif

gondee said:
This is too funny. First 2 results on google from SSX Deadly Descents:

ssxddlol.gif
Hmm that's weird, those aren't my top 2 hits. Mine are just the usual crap any time you do a Google search on a video game:

SSX: Deadly Descent Confirmed at Spike VGAs [UPDATED]
Dec 11, 2010 ... In a quick reel announcing the announcements planned to be announced during the Spike TV VGAs, a logo for SSX: Deadly Descent was quickly ...
www.1up.com/news/ssx-deadly-descent-confirmed-spike - Cached

SSX: Deadly Descent Trailer Video from GameVideos
SSX: Deadly Descent Trailer Video, The SSX franchise makes its return in a ...
gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/32374 - Cached

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Neuromancer said:
Hmm that's weird, those aren't my top 2 hits. Mine are just the usual crap any time you do a Google search on a video game:
Not mine either... plus the game is SSX Deadly Descents

gondee

Yeah, I figured it might be different for different people, that's why I posted the picture. I should have said MY results on Google for the game. But I did find that to be pretty humorous.

GWX

Although the style is different this time around, this game could use some Andy Hunter goodness just like SSX3 (Deadly Descents's reveal trailer + Go sounded awesome). Put some Dawn Vision, Raining Sunshine or Open My Eyes in this bitch.

Bgamer90

Banned
LyR said:
You do know that in pretty much every modern industry the staff changes all the time ?! After all this years it's more than possible that it won't have the same people who worked on SSX1, Tricky & 3. (hell I don't even think that each mentioned SSX game had the exact same staff)
It has been said on the SSX facebook page that the people making SSX DD did have a part in the previous SSX games. I don't know how it breaks down (who did and who didn't and which SSX games) but there are people on the team that have worked on previous SSX games... it isn't a whole new team.

Bgamer90

Banned
Dark Octave said:
I wonder if it's possible the game will be canceled NBA Elite style due to fan outcry.
:lol

It's no where near that bad and the reason why NBA Elite got canned was due to the horrible demo (you know... something that people can actually PLAY) and the famous "Jesus" video.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Neuromancer said:
Google will customize your search based on the sites you visit most frequently.

gondee must check out chartzzzzz and thesilentchief (via n4g?) a lot. :p

Bgamer90 said:

It's no where near that bad and the reason why NBA Elite got canned was due to the horrible demo (you know... something that people can actually PLAY) and the famous "Jesus" video.
What is this "Jesus" video?

EDIT: NM. Found and LOL'd at...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Bgamer90 said:

True, but this is more than just a little fan outcry. Every major site with a topic on this is filled with very miffed people. In fact most of them are just about wtf happened. I think this was a market misread by EA.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Dark Octave said:
I wonder if it's possible the game will be canceled NBA Elite style due to fan outcry.
I've been thinking this since the reveal, I don't think I've EVER seen anything that had THIS loud and unanimous of a negative reaction.

DmC comes close.

I'm surprised by all the hate.

Sure, the trailer and description from EA may seem less than faithful to the original series, but c'mon, there hasn't even been a sliver of gameplay footage, or even details besides the possible use of Skate's analog controls.

Najaf

I think one of the key things being overlooked is replayability. I am sure that this title will be fun to play through once or twice. But having such dark tones does not make me want to plop down on the couch and just mess around for a bit. Sure, it might be extreme and maybe a bit more exciting the first time around, but that will wear thin quickly. Sunshine, big ass ramps, fun music, and fireworks going off is what sounds like a fun Sunday afternoon to me. Just let us play through the 'story' mode of SSX: DD, then 'cleanse' the mountains and install the party poppers and laser show lights.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
AHappyPanda said:

Sure, the trailer and description from EA may seem less than faithful to the original series, but c'mon, there hasn't even been a sliver of gameplay footage, or even details besides the possible use of Skate's analog controls.
And I haven't seen much "hate" relating to gameplay or controls.

Bgamer90

Banned
Najaf said:
I think one of the key things being overlooked is replayability. I am sure that this title will be fun to play through once or twice. But having such dark tones does not make me want to plop down on the couch and just mess around for a bit. Sure, it might be extreme and maybe a bit more exciting the first time around, but that will wear thin quickly. Sunshine, big ass ramps, fun music, and fireworks going off is what sounds like a fun Sunday afternoon to me. Just let us play through the 'story' mode of SSX: DD, then 'cleanse' the mountains and install the party poppers and laser show lights.

Moore has hinted at online play so I'm pretty sure that there will be a lot of re-playability in the game.

Bgamer90

Banned
Princess Skittles said:
I've been thinking this since the reveal, I don't think I've EVER seen anything that had THIS loud and unanimous of a negative reaction.

DmC comes close.

NBA Elite had much more of a negative reaction after the demo and after the Jesus video.

Najaf

Bgamer90 said:
Moore has hinted at online play so I'm pretty sure that there will be a lot of re-playability in the game.

You misunderstood what I was emphasizing. I'm sure there will be lots of 'replayablility' from the developers perspective. Multiplayer, open world mountains, varied environments etc. What I am talking about is the departure from the fun-times attitude of the originals. I don't see the tone of this game and think 'Hey, I'd love to relax with a few beers and cruise the mountains for a bit'. The dark tones remove my incentive to keep playing after I have beaten it a few times. I enjoy Amped 3, Skate and others long after they have released because they offer a relaxing and fun experience again and again. I'm sure the first time you outrun an avalanche, it will be amazing. But sometimes I just want to hit the terrain park.

Bgamer90

Banned
Najaf said:
You misunderstood what I was emphasizing. I'm sure there will be lots of 'replayablility' from the developers perspective. Multiplayer, open world mountains, varied environments etc. What I am talking about is the departure from the fun-times attitude of the originals. I don't see the tone of this game and think 'Hey, I'd love to relax with a few beers and cruise the mountains for a bit'. The dark tones remove my incentive to keep playing after I have beaten it a few times. I enjoy Amped 3, Skate and others long after they have released because they offer a relaxing and fun experience again and again. I'm sure the first time you outrun an avalanche, it will be amazing. But sometimes I just want to hit the terrain park.

I see. Well the trailer said "day 63"... what we saw could have been one of the last events in the game and as I said before, the last events in SSX3 were intense & dark as well.

But yeah, I really want to see some gameplay vids!

Mrbob

Najaf said:

I understand what you mean. SSX is my happy fun time game. Every game has multi player these days, so no big deal with SSX as this isn't a selling point for me. When I play SSX I want big jumps, massive tricks, neon lights shooting everywhere alongside fireworks, going down crazy side paths. Tom Clancy's Call of Duty SSX description alone sounds so unappealing. Every franchise has to get with the "Yo Bro!" times I guess.

mango drank

You know, if the trailer really is representative of the overall game, then given the overwhelming fan backlash to it, I'll bet EA will try to make some tweaks to the game if it isn't too far into development already. All of a sudden I find myself disappointed at the prospect that we won't ever get to play the pure version of whatever it was EA thought everyone wanted. I'm really curious to see that now.

Then again, it might be hard to shoehorn a few neon glows and phresh beatz into a game as dark and gritty as this seems to be, so I doubt they'd try too hard to appease the fans of the old-school.

I dunno.

Empty said:
goddam. that looks like a videogame i actually want to play.
The easy solution here seems to be to use a custom soundtrack when you get the game. Problem solved!

HK-47 said:
True, but this is more than just a little fan outcry. Every major site with a topic on this is filled with very miffed people. In fact most of them are just about wtf happened. I think this was a market misread by EA.
Maybe the dev team just wanted to do something different, you know to make their mark, rather than rehash something old. I can kind of see from their perspective how maybe making a very Tricky or SSX3 like game, with just different courses and a new character or two, might not seem like a lot of fun for them.

AHappyPanda said:

I'm surprised too. It's actually pretty shocking to me.

Najaf said:
You're assuming that this trailer is going to be representative of the entire game; something that I doubt very much.

Najaf

Neuromancer said:
You're assuming that this trailer is going to be representative of the entire game; something that I doubt very much.

Sure, I'm assuming the worst. But they did create the trailer as a representation for their direction. And, they did name the game Deadly Descents. I believe my fears are justified. I obviously will reserve final judgement for when we start seeing genuine preview/review coverage.

Neuromancer said:
Oh, please. How often does the tone of a trailer not reflect that of the game? It's certainly possible that the game has some of that SSX crazy still in there not on display, but this is exactly what we're getting: a game that will take itself far more seriously and really push the "survival" element.

Neuromancer said:
The easy solution here seems to be to use a custom soundtrack when you get the game. Problem solved!

True enough. If the music was the only problem.

Neuromancer said:
Maybe the dev team just wanted to do something different, you know to make their mark, rather than rehash something old. I can kind of see from their perspective how maybe making a very Tricky or SSX3 like game, with just different courses and a new character or two, might not seem like a lot of fun for them.

If they wanted to make their own mark then why use the SSX name? That's the exact opposite of making your own mark

Neuromancer said:
I'm surprised too. It's actually pretty shocking to me.

I'm not. Neither is anyone else here that hates this change in the game. Every damn month a new thread would pop up here with people begging for a new SSX game that took advantage of next gen console hardware. What we finally got was not an SSX game.

Neuromancer said:

It's the trailer for the game. It's representative of SSX: Deadly Descents and no other game.

The description of the game on its own website also points to a decidedly boring as fuck game. You have to rush down a mountain to avoid suffocating due to the thin air instead of taking your time and enjoying the run? Boring as fuck. On another mountain you have to stay in the sunlight or freeze to death? Boring as fuck.

And yes I have no doubt that is the entire direction of the gameplay. The title of the game says as much.

I AM JOHN! said:
Oh, please. How often does the tone of a trailer not reflect that of the game? It's certainly possible that the game has some of that SSX crazy still in there not on display, but this is exactly what we're getting: a game that will take itself far more seriously and really push the "survival" element.
The survival element definitely, since they talk about it in the description. But still, someone jumping out of a helicopter, doing a few tricks, landing on a mountain peak, using an ice axe to do a turn, and then deploy some kind of wing suit, is not exactly what I would call 'serious.'

But like Najaf said, we'll see once the first previews start coming in. I just have a good feeling about this game, is all.

I <3 Memes said:
What we finally got was not an SSX game.
I don't think any of us are qualified to say 'what we finally got,' at this point. I think a teaser video and a blurb of text is not the best way to assess the value of a game.

mango drank

I <3 Memes said:
The description of the game on its own website also points to a decidedly boring as fuck game. You have to rush down a mountain to avoid suffocating due to the thin air instead of taking your time and enjoying the run? Boring as fuck. On another mountain you have to stay in the sunlight or freeze to death? Boring as fuck.

I think I'm crossing back to the dudebro side, but ... these things all sound interesting. I'm wondering how they're implemented, and what it feels like to play these scenarios.

I wonder what the reaction to this whole thing would've been if EA hadn't called it SSX. That is, if they'd revealed this game as a new IP with a new name. Initially you'd have a lot of sarcastic people wondering why EA has time to work on some gritty take on snowboarding but doesn't have time to revive SSX, but that chatter would die down after a while, and you'd get reactions to the game itself, as opposed to what we're getting now, which is reactions to what's become of the SSX franchise. I can't imagine a new IP would've garnered this much attention at all, favorable or otherwise.

... Holy shit. I wonder if that was part of EA's marketing plan for this game all along: generate intense controversy by f-ing with the beloved SSX name. What if this was supposed to be a new IP, but they decided to go with SSX to 1) leverage the existing brand, and 2) generate controversy.

Neuromancer said:
The survival element definitely, since they talk about it in the description. But still, someone jumping out of a helicopter, doing a few tricks, landing on a mountain peak, using an ice axe to do a turn, and then deploy some kind of wing suit, is not exactly what I would call 'serious.'
What about the dark, moody lighting, dramatic swelling music and dead-serious delivery of all the lines in that trailer? What they're doing might be ridiculous when you really think about it, but the obvious tone of that trailer is that of a very self-serious action movie. Keep trying to argue that "we haven't seen enough to judge;" it doesn't make you any less wrong.

Perfect example: watching the debut trailer for Bad Company 2 for the first time when it debuted, it immediately sent up a red flag for me, as made it seem like that game was going to be going - much like SSX - in a far more serious direction. And guess what? That's exactly what they did! Just like with Bad Company 2, what we saw is what we're getting. You don't set the tone of the trailer as one thing and then turn around and say "Oh, but check it out, guys: Tokyo Megaplex and a level where you snowboard through a city buried in a blizzard while pulling off insane uber tricks!!" And I promise you, if that's what we start seeing after this trailer, it's not because this stuff was always there waiting to be revealed; it's because someone at EA saw the backlash and freaked the fuck out.

I AM JOHN! said:
What about the dark, moody lighting, dramatic swelling music and dead-serious delivery of all the lines in that trailer? What they're doing might be ridiculous when you really think about it, but the obvious tone of that trailer is that of a very self-serious action movie. Keep trying to argue that "we haven't seen enough to judge;" it doesn't make you any less wrong.

Perfect example: watching the debut trailer for Bad Company 2 for the first time when it debuted, it immediately sent up a red flag for me, as made it seem like that game was going to be going - much like SSX - in a far more serious direction. And guess what? That's exactly what they did! Just like with Bad Company 2, what we saw is what we're getting. You don't set the tone of the trailer as one thing and then turn around and say "Oh, but check it out, guys: Tokyo Megaplex and a level where you snowboard through a city buried in a blizzard while pulling off insane uber tricks!!"
All right you got me with your Bad Company 2 analogy. Goddamn it. Yeah they screwed the pooch on that one.

Cerberus

The description for the game scares me more than the teaser.

Redefining the SSX franchise, SSX: Deadly Descents will pit riders versus both mountain and man. Players will explore the story of a team who seek to be the first to descend the faces of the most treacherous mountain ranges on the planet. The team will travel the world to face the worst that Mother Nature can throw at them.

A story? In my SSX? What the fuck. That better not mean cutscenes and dialogue featuring celebrity talent.

Mrbob

EA just needs to offer SSX Tricky HD and SSX3 HD download versions so everyone can be happy. Then they can continue with their dudebro SSX.

Mrbob said:
EA just needs to offer SSX Tricky HD and SSX3 HD download versions so everyone can be happy. Then they can continue with their dudebro SSX.
I'd be all for this.

EA generally hasn't been real big on uprezzing and rereleasing their older games, wonder why.

Cerberus

Neuromancer said:
I'd be all for this.

EA generally hasn't been real big on uprezzing and rereleasing their older games, wonder why.

Did they do any other games besides Medal of Honor: Frontline? How did that turn out anyways?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Cerberus said:
The description for the game scares me more than the teaser.

A story? In my SSX? What the fuck. That better not mean cutscenes and dialogue featuring celebrity talent.
I welcome celebrity talent into this... just not for serious roles. SSX Tricky had celebrities (well... kinda) for many characters. David Arquette was Eddie. Macy Gray was Seeiah. Lucy Liu was Elise. Billy Zane was Brody. And there were more. It can be done right, but if they are saying any serious lines at all it's gonna be terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom