• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX: Deadly Descents - 2011 - Trailer - [Update: Website & Description]

Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
LTTWTFP but there just aren't enough WTFs to go around.

Totally reprehensible. Who wanted this?

CrankyJay

Banned
I'm just trying to imagine what it would be like to be the originator of SSX and maybe get fired or leave EA, and then click on this thread to see the franchise you created completely and utterly jizzed upon. And if the creator didn't get fired or leave EA...fucking shame on him. :lol

edit: And shame on Tom Clancy for slapping his name on any hair-brained idea that is presented to him.

legend166

Neuromancer said:
From their Facebook page:

As far as I'm concerned they're handling the rage pretty well. Man sometimes I'm glad I'm not a game developer. You people are so hard to please! =P

Translation:

"The game is going to be exactly like the trailer suggests. Deal with it."

This is Nuts and Bolts all over again. We'll have people swearing up and down the game isn't changing all that much and it's still just like the old ones. Then it comes out, and it's nothing like the old games.

Karish

I really want to play me some SSX 3 right now! Is it backwards compatible for 360? Anyone know where I can get a cheap copy?

CrankyJay said:
edit: And shame on Tom Clancy for slapping his name on any hair-brained idea that is presented to him.
Still gettin' em. :lol

Blakero said:
I really want to play me some SSX 3 right now! Is it backwards compatible for 360? Anyone know where I can get a cheap copy?
Yes to the first part; eBay maybe?

OuterWorldVoice said:
To be fair, when SSX first came out, ProtoGaf was complaining about how they had just taken "regular" Snowboarding and made it EXXXXTREEEEM!!!!
You know what? Sure. When you take it at face value, SSX has always been completely Poochie; it's always been this faux-cool with carefully chosen broad stereotypes for characters with blazing dance/techno soundtrack and/or EA Trax in an attempt to be hip. But the games (well, SSX through 3, at least; On Tour and Blur, not so much) took it to such a ridiculous extreme (no pun intended) that you couldn't help but laugh. They're games that are incredibly stupid and calculated by design (something I'd argue is a testament to the corporate culture of EA at the time), but also written and designed by people smart enough to be in on the joke.

By comparison, everything in this trailer tonally is Bad Company 2 to classic SSX's Bad Company. And that's not exactly a comparison you'd like to be made, IMO.

Frillen

charlequin said:
Military fetishism, pseudo-realistic violent/"dangerous" style, dark color palettes, serious tone, etc.

Well... those people were wrong. :lol Of course, the fact that they came home with their launch-era PS2s and played Summoner or Gungriffon Blaze instead of the one good launch title was probably punishment enough.

I have Summoner A Goddess Reborn on the Gamecube and that's awesome.

Stackboy

What a circle jerk of negativity. Wait till you can play it, then get all butt hurt about your precious video game.

I love the SSX series, but I'm willing to wait till I can play it before I start crying fanboy tears.

Even if it's an ounce of what SSX use to be, I will be happy. Considering the lacklustre titles since.

CrankyJay

Banned
Stackboy said:
What a circle jerk of negativity. Wait till you can play it, then get all butt hurt about your precious video game.

I love the SSX series, but I'm willing to wait till I can play it before I start crying fanboy tears.

Even if it's an ounce of what SSX use to be, I will be happy. Considering the lacklustre titles since.

I know, right? How dare people have an opinion based off of what little was provided! HOW DARE THEY!

Fixed1979 said:
That doesn't say shit, all I read was "In SSX you could do races and tricks. In this SSX you can do races and tricks so why is everyone complaining?"

This may turn out to be a fine snowboard game, I have lots of faith in the Vancouver EA studio but in no way shape or form is this SSX. It's a cash in on the SSX name. The visuals, the characters and the controls have all been replaced...but you can still race, and you can still do tricks...fuck you EA.

That's the exact way I feel about Burnout. Funny.

I just want a new Snowboarding game. I don't care if they call it 1080 SSX Amped 2 Adventure of Downhill Domination at this point ... all the snowboarding games have sucked this generation.

CrankyJay

Banned
I just want to know, how is pulling off a Misty Unethical Experimental to Late Melancholy going to help me defeat the enemy?

AS long as the gameplay is good like SSX3, I don't care if the characters are Werewolf Nazis fucking newborn pigs while grinding trees and flying down avalanches.

I will love you, sweet SSX.

Stackboy said:

Bah. I'm butthurt now. I'll be like Tom Dubois after he dropped the soap once the game actually comes out...

Chittagong

Gold Member
Gaf hyperbole in action.

I loved the first SSX and Tricky, played tons of them. Still I don't mind the darker tone.

I belive the colour lights look was created mainly to demonstrate the major new hardware effect back in the day, dynamic lighting. Remember how also every early Xbox game had a similar look of highly saturated colour lights. Same thing.

Now that dynamic lighting is decade old news, it's natural that they go for grittier - particles, dust, depth of field, that's the look of this generation. Cynical? Sure, but no more cynical than the original.

It still looks pretty extreme to me, with a crazy looking character and some mad jumps. I'm absolutely sure the gameplay won't be million miles away even if it looks like Gears of War.

Mrbob

EA Canada BS said:
We wanted take... it to a place outside the safe, familiar settings that gamers have become accustomed to in the genre, and tap into the raw intensity and excitement that lies at the core of the sport.

Can someone please translate what this sentence is supposed to mean?

Well...I wasn't expecting the real next gen SSX to be a complete reboot, that's for sure.

I, like most people in here it seems, don't really like the direction they're taking the franchise but I'm still willing to give it a chance. As long as the control is still awesome, the mountains have lots of huge jumps and many different paths to get to the bottom I'll probably be happy.

Sometimes change can be good...right? Oh, and the thread title was perfect :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Chittagong said:
Gaf hyperbole in action.

I loved the first SSX and Tricky, played tons of them. Still I don't mind the darker tone.

I belive the colour lights look was created mainly to demonstrate the major new hardware effect back in the day, dynamic lighting. Remember how also every early Xbox game had a similar look of highly saturated colour lights. Same thing.

Now that dynamic lighting is decade old news, it's natural that they go for grittier - particles, dust, depth of field, that's the look of this generation. Cynical? Sure, but no more cynical than the original.

It still looks pretty extreme to me, with a crazy looking character and some mad jumps. I'm absolutely sure the gameplay won't be million miles away even if it looks like Gears of War.

Just because it's the in thing this generation and all the other games are doing it doesn't mean people are out of line for disliking it.

Mrbob

Just like the real sport! :lol

Just make sure these boarders are bald, arm them with a machine gun, make sure everything looks grey, and call it a day.

Chittagong said:
Gaf hyperbole in action.

Borderlands says hi. Not every game has to look gritty and shitty.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Is there any chance of DJ Atomika? I'm really doubting it. Loved him in SSX 3.

Hope they can make the soundtrack as kick ass as Tricky and 3. Blur even had some nice tracks from Junkie XL made specifically for the game.

Mrbob said:
Borderlands says hi. Not every game has to look gritty and shitty.
Borderlands has its fair share of 'grit.'

Fantastical said:

Hope they can make the soundtrack as kick ass as Tricky and 3. Blur even had some nice tracks from Junkie XL made specifically for the game.
I wouldn't be surprised, he was in Burnout Paradise after all. But yeah I agree, the soundtrack is going to be very important.

Mrbob

Yes, but the game is colorful. Its not dark and drab, hence the shit part of my comment where everything looks grim and run down.

Fantastical said:

He won't be in game, but one of the soldiers, I mean "boarders", will chug Atomica extreme sports drink at some point during one of the mission, I mean "event" cutscenes.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
We Are Ninja said:
He won't be in game, but one of the soldiers, I mean "boarders", will chug Atomica extreme sports drink at some point during one of the mission, I mean "event" cutscenes.
Oh noes.

Hah. I just looked up and started listening to the SSX 3 soundtrack. Good stuff. :D

DrQuack03

Neo Member
I think one of the major reasons I enjoy Tricky more than 3 is the music....whoever put together that tracklist really knew his music.

The OST is essentially a snapshot of the finest breaks music circa 2000, still excellent today.

Run-DMC - It's Tricky (K-Rec Remix)
BT - Smartbomb
Hybrid - Finished Symphony
Aphrodite - King Of The Beats
Mix Master Mike - Board Burner
Huda Hudia - System Overload
Plump DJs - The Push
Space Raiders - Song For Dot
Mix Master Mike & Rahzel - Slayboarder
John Morgan - Gin and Sin
Rasmus - Peaktime
The Forth - Reality Detached

I was hoping for a return to more of an electronic soundtrack, but it looks like that might be gone along with the colors :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Bgamer90 said:
Anyone remember the "untracked" levels in the earlier SSX games?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER3srQBzwNE&feature=player_embedded

...And/or the final peak events in SSX 3?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMiq5Wi2dxs&feature=player_embedded

While I completely understand ones saying SSX Deadly Descents seems to be a lot more serious, I don't understand ones saying that "SSX is dead" due to the 30 second trailer especially since past SSX games had helicopters, avalanches, and minimalistic/realistic snow courses. SSX Tricky was really cartoony and over the top but SSX 3 wasn't and toned things down. Seems though that many think that SSX Tricky = How the whole SSX franchise was previously.

Ones should just chill it out a bit until we see some gameplay footage and have more info. They already said that the game will still have the ssx gameplay we know & love (and you can somewhat see that with the way the character moves in the trailer) along with similar events so yeah... no need to get all bent out of shape yet.

SSX3 was still over the top and colorful. And the thing I dislike about it is the deemphasis on the characters and their interactions on the slopes. I loved that shit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
the cool thing is when this bombs they'll go see no one wanted ssx we should have known better. so at least there's that.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Chittagong said:
Gaf hyperbole in action.

No it isnt natural, unless trying to appeal to the dudebro market is natural now (it is). More powerful graphics doesnt mean you need to make a grittier game. That same powerful tech can be put behind a colorful, stylish one. And no, that character looks like a guy in a bunch of generic snowboard gear. He has no personality.

Also Borderlands is cartoony. Its somewhat gritty due to being a wasteland shooter, a genre that, unlike SSX snowboarding, doesnt usually see a ton of color. How ever it is still ridiculously colorful despite being in that genre.

Bgamer90

Banned
HK-47 said:
SSX3 was still over the top and colorful.

It was but it wasn't to the point that Tricky was. It toned things down a good bit. The game had a "chilled out" vibe to it.

Like I said before, SSX 3 was advertised for the dark intense/extreme mountain peak events even though the game had many events outside of that. So like I said, we should just wait to get some more concrete info/videos about Deadly Descents before making final judgements.

Also, EA Canada (the same ones that made the previous SSX games) is making Deadly Descents, so yeah, the game wasn't handed over to anyone new.

CrankyJay

Banned
:lol :lol :lol

I've been whooshed for the past 5 hours. I seriously thought this game was a mashup with Tom Clancy. Fuck! :lol

edit: I was seriously trying to figure out how doing combo moves and jumps was going to defeat bad guys. :lol :lol :lol

CrankyJay said:
edit: I was seriously trying to figure out how doing combo moves and jumps was going to defeat bad guys. :lol :lol :lol
If you ask around here I'm sure you'll get some answers, some people seem to think you're going to be using sniper rifles and shit as you go down the slope.

Bgamer90

Banned
Cerberus said:
Tried it with the song used in SSX 3's intro and I think it fits nicely.

SSX: Deadly Descents / Andy Hunter-Go

Nice.

To be honest, that song made the trailer a lot more reminiscent of the SSX roots.

Maybe I sound crazy but I think that if EA replaced the movie score sounding music in the SSX Deadly Descent trailer with some good techno/lounge music (a la SSX 3 soundtrack), there would be less people complaining about the trailer.

Amazing the difference that a song can make for a video game trailer...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bgamer90 said:
Nice.

To be honest, that song made the trailer a lot more reminiscent of the SSX roots.

Maybe I sound crazy but I think that if EA replaced the movie score sounding music in the SSX Deadly Descent trailer with some good techno/lounge music (a la SSX 3 soundtrack), there would be less people complaining about the trailer.

Amazing the difference that a song can make for a video game trailer...
and also changed . . . you know . . . everything they said about the game other than "don't worry dudes it will still have that ssx awesomeness [please buy this on the ssx name alone if you are an ssx fan]." amazing

Bildi

Looks lame and devoid of everything SSX (there is snowboarding admittedly).

I hope they prove all us naysayers wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom