• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is "the look" of the next generation?

Chittagong

Gold Member
This generation has a very distinct look. I'm not sure if technology or fashion driving is driving the whole generation to feel similar - is it because of shaders available, certain post-processing effects being cheap, or just because everyone feels that this is the right look now.

What will next generation look like? I have a hard time imagining. One thing is for certain - it's not dusty and desaturated.

Key graphics features this gen
- bloom
- HDR
- depth of field blur
- tons of stuff in the air
- overexposed
- desaturated
- yellow/brown

The look of the generation in screenshots

battlefield-bad-company-20070605041625008.jpg

msg4screen.jpg

gears-of-war-2-20080625074338814.jpg

img_58521_gta4_screen.jpg

killzone-2-20080506020318399.jpg

burnout-paradise-20071004052509784.jpg

resident-evil-5-20080602092947361.jpg

dirt-20070419111620042.jpg

tom-clancys-ghost-recon-advanced-warfighter-2-20061214015315485.jpg

call-of-duty-4-modern-warfare-20070613104409229.jpg

motorstorm-20070122104618668.jpg

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Think Matrix if you wanna know how future games look like.

To be fair some of those screenshots shouldn't be there.

Burnout can be quite colourful and MGS4 on other stages looks colourful as well.

Infact i think this was a trend that's starting to "slowly" go away. Finally.

zoukka

shaft said:
I am interested as well. What are the next-gen graphics? Will we have photo-realism?

If i look at Gran Turismo 5, and think 3/4 years further...

We will never have photorealism. Outside games that use photos.

Stench

Banned
Chittagong said:
What will next generation look like? I have a hard time imagining. One thing is for certain - it's not dusty and desaturated.
Uhh, why would that be?

If anything, this current generation has shown that game designers are gaining a better knack for aesthetics and art direction.

Despite what you guys may think, a rainbow-tinted colour palette is not appropriate for all games of all types.

Deepblue

Banned
Hopefully the look will be so diverse as to be undefinable.
Anyway, the OP is ignoring other prominent games with their own distinct look.
2nibdid.jpg

(You knew it was coming. Seriously though, just browse though this thread)
I'd say we're fine with games like Halo 3, Mass Effect, Viva Pinata, Ratchet and Clank, Crackdown, Warhawk, Folklore, Bioshock and many more.

Threi

notag
The OP is kinda depressing :(

Thankfully there are developers (on all 3 systems) that have the balls to make games with artstyles that diverge from the typical mold. Hopefully they don't disappear.

Davidion

legend166 said:
All those screenshots posted together like that are depressing as hell.

Threi said:
The OP is kinda depressing :(

Thankfully there are developers (on all 3 systems) that have the balls to make games with artstyles that diverge from the typical mold. Hopefully they don't disappear.

Yup

careful said:
Next gen will look like Crysis.

That too. :lol

nib95

Banned
There are colourful games like Uncharted, Halo 3, Viva Pinata, Bioshock etc as well.

By the way OP, you left out Assassins Creed, which suits that argument well too.

camineet

Banned
careful said:
Next gen will look like Crysis.

That would suck, unless it was Nintendo Wii HD.

Crysis is between current-gen 360/PS3 and next-gen, and really, closer to current-gen
(just somewhat more advanced and in need of higher performance).

Crysis is DX9 / DX10, not even true DX10.

Next-gen consoles will be DX11+ or equivalent in Shader generation.

i.e. PS3 doesn't use DX9 but it uses the same Shader Model 3.0 that DX9 uses.

Also, current-gen, and Crysis, use MULTICORE CPUs.
Next-gen (except Nintendo) will be about 'MANYCORE' CPUs (10 or more cores, perhaps dozens).

androvsky

Well, that's certainly what part of this generation looks like for people who play gritty shooters.

Halo 3, Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Grand Turismo 5 Prologue, half of MGS4, Valkria Chronicles, (Mass Effect? I haven't played it), Blue Dragon, (Lost Odyssey?), the new Naruto game, and probably many more, would all beg to differ. And this is all ignoring Wii games.

EDIT: Just to brighten up the thread a little... :D

valkyria-chronicles-pics-20080519110643378.jpg

ratchet-clank-future-tools-of-destruction-20070717030328953.jpg

halo-3-20070923023754691.jpg

uncharted-drakes-fortune-20070711052640769.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Stench said:
Uhh, why would that be?

I think it's simple marketing - this look has been bolted into this generation. It's almost as if publishers and developers had used the dusty/desaturated look to say "hey, we are next generation". So, when the next generation comes around, they need a new visual vehicle to drive home the point of "hey, this is the new hotness" - which is why the "brown bloom look" will need to go.

What might replace it? Maybe Hollywood blockbusters can give a hint. This look is very much based on Blackhawk Down. Several profilic early this-gen reveals almost simultaneously adopted the dusty/desaturated/bloom combo - Motorstorm, Killzone, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter, Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid 4, which encouraged further titles appear with the same look.

Stench

Banned
Again, gamers continue to show their utter lack of knowledge when it comes to effective art direction.

I'm no cinematographer or illustrator, but I at least understand how colour is used to guide and manipulate emotion and atmosphere.

It's like telling Spielberg he should have made Saving Private Ryan more colourful and vibrant.

Threi

notag
RockmanWhore said:
http://i30.tinypic.com/34hevtf.jpg[IMG]

Believe[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is what is bugging me. The extra power should not be used to make unnecessary things more realistic.

OMIGAWD HER FACE HAS SHARPER TEXTURES NOW!

Unless the game is Mr. Mosquito 2 or something putting effort into a fucking face is a waste of resources. Put it into geometry for the environments, which games will actually benefit from.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Deepblue said:
Hopefully the look will be so diverse as to be undefinable.
Anyway, the OP is ignoring other prominent games with their own distinctly non-dusty look.

(You knew it was coming)

I'd say we're fine with games like Halo 3, Mass Effect, Viva Pinata, Ratchet and Clank, Crackdown, Warhawk, Folklore, Bioshock and many more.

halo3.jpg

:p

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Seiken said:
next gen:

tekken6.jpg

It could be actually something like this. Super sharp, strong levels, hyper detailed. Would be definitely a contrast to the current blurry look, one that would say that "this is something new".

I'm also thinking of FFX art style:

wallpaper_final_fantasy_x_01_1024.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm actually worried that games next gen will just be TOO expensive to make if we make another big leap like this.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This is already shaping up to be one of those threads where everybody just posts screens of their favorite games

TDG

Banned
How about this?
wii%20sports%202.jpg

Maybe all future generations will look like this. At least, that's what some people in the NPD threads warned me.

Visually I don't think the home console industry will move forward much in the next ten years. Limitations being staff, and the tools and budgets.
Mobile will make much larger strides, PC will remain on course.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oldschoolgamer said:
A lot of that stems from the time and setting of the environments in which those shots were taken.

True - and that's the environment that was on top of mind of the developers around 2002-2003 when the look of this generation was established in pre-production: 9/11 fresh in mind, Blackhawk Down available on DVD, CNN and Fox News pushing out updates from Afghanistan and Iraq day and night, that was literally the only topic in news many days.

What's happening today in news? The war is pretty much forgotten. The main theme of news is environmental catastropy. Al Gore. Oil prices hiking. North cap melting. What are the associations and source material it might fire up? Planet Earth, rainforests, arctic, earthquakes, tsunami... Something along those lines.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
I started playing Eternal Sonata last night, and one of my recurring thoughts was, 'Man...this is so fucking colourful'. I don't think my 360 has had to display that many colours at once before.

Top Bottom