• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

LaneDS

Added everyone on the PSN list for NA. Whoever keeps reordering it is going to make it not so useful for those adding people, since it'll be a pain to go back through it wondering if you've added people. Oh well!

soultron

Banned
Played the demo today and really enjoyed it. Does it have split screen? That's the deal breaker for me.

No split-screen, sorry. The developers had this to say about the decision to cut it.
Todd Batty said:
First, understand that this is a feature that I really wanted. I am an old-school gamer and racing split-screen was one of my absolute favorite things about SSX. But the reality is that it is a HUGE technical investment. To do split-screen, you basically have to render the entire mountain TWICE. So you either have to drop the framerate or down-res the graphics to do it, neither of which are ideal. Even then it is a lot of work. And we made the call early on that we were building this SSX for the connected generation. We would have had to sacrifice much or all of our online multiplayer design to do this. And at the end of the day, split-screen is really only necessary for race it - one-third of our game. And most full-time racing games dont even do it any more, not that that is any excuse. So, we made a priority call to cut it. I held on for a really long time (probably too long), but in the end it was the right decision for the game, even of that seems hard to hear right now.

Mikeside

I really wish they were releasing this on PC - how is it on PS3?
SSX is really the only thing that makes me not want to sell my 360 at this point

Nitemare1

After playing both demos I've never been so torn about which version to get. I'm a little more comfortable with the 360 controller in my hand, but fuuuuu mt. fuji. Everything else seems perfectly level speed and graphics wise.

Tokubetsu

After playing both demos I've never been so torn about which version to get. I'm a little more comfortable with the 360 controller in my hand, but fuuuuu mt. fuji. Everything else seems perfectly level speed and graphics wise.

I want Mt. Fuji but the competitive nature of everyone on my FL and my comfort with it's controller swayed me. Basically, Net_Wrecker made me change my pre-order to 360.

BlackJace

Played the demo today, and I must say...
I feel justified with my pre-order decision. The game is a ton of fun to play, and lord oh lord is it the best feeling in the world when you go into Super Tricky state. Best feeling man.

Its a bit hard to pick up, but after numerous attempts, I finally got the game to mesh.
Cant wait till 2/28.

I want Mt. Fuji but the competitive nature of everyone on my FL and my comfort with it's controller swayed me. Basically, Net_Wrecker made me change my pre-order to 360.

Is this to be my legacy? The pre-order changer?

I'll live it. I'll embrace it. I'll perfect it.

Jtrizzy

Just played the demo, and I like it. I'll probably pick this up on PS3 either way, but is there any chance/talk of a PC version.

Played the demo. I just have a blast messing around, doing cool tricks, and listening to nice, chill music. But since I'm not interested in getting high scores or fast race times I feel as though I'm playing it wrong, in a way. :/

-PXG-

I must say, as a huge fan of the first game, I had a lot of fun with the demo. I'm really thinking about getting this day one. Probably getting it on PS3.

EDIT

Mac and Psymon have always been my boys. Gonna rock them.

Minamu

Had some issues with the game not recognizing my right stick (ps3) properly during the tutorial but it seemed to do just fine during gameplay and I got a sweet 14+ million score :D

Polyphony

Played the demo. I just have a blast messing around, doing cool tricks, and listening to nice, chill music. But since I'm not interested in getting high scores or fast race times I feel as though I'm playing it wrong, in a way. :/

Nothing wrong with that! I intend to play it in the same was as well. I don't know what happened to me, but long gone are the days of multi-million combos on SSX and Tony Hawk sessions in my youth.

Teknoman

I need to add more GAF names, apparently. I've got 3 other people that have done a lap. Still 7+ seconds behind you :/ Course, I just realise that R2 was boost!

lol I think my fault might be hanging in the air with tricks too long? That and I need to master grinding on rough edges.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
lol I think my fault might be hanging in the air with tricks too long? That and I need to master grinding on rough edges.

That Long rail+Train (that starts on the "left side"), I feel like it really speeds up the time...but I've used it 5 or 6 times. Maybe it's not REALLY helping.

Teknoman

I see Danny taking tunnels most of the time, so i'm trying to hang close to him on curves. Does doing ground tricks slow you down?

Suairyu

Banned
Broke gold for the first time, beating AI Alex. Rocketed up past 9 people on my friends list; 8 left to beat.

But by the sounds of things, the state of PS3 competition isn't even approaching the times of the 360 competition right now.

What lines are you guys running for Bulldog in the demo? I normally go right at the start, stay right for a bit, then keep toward the center. After the dam, I keep to the right until the huge drop after which I transfer over the to left which is where I generally stay until the end. My high score is about 24.1m. Really struggling to improve it. Should I have more than about 2.5-3m at the top of the dam?

Also, what seems to be the best application for signature tricks? Save them for long drops or throw them out more often?

I was playing it all day after work till like midnight yesterday. Love it.

What is your trick score? I want to be jealous.

Can't seam to get over 9M, Silver on bulldog... Seam to mess up around the dam, keeping the tricky going right before it is a bit tough..

Georgious

Banned
This...this was one of the best demos I've played in recent memory. One of my most anticipated games of the year - cannot WAIT.
The online features look brilliantly implemented too - the drop-in drop-out feature is fantastic.

Sephirus

Just played the demo for over 6 hrs.....

I'm in the same boat, and I love it.

This is probably the most time I've spent playing a demo. So far I've gotten my JT2 time around 1:52 minutes and sitting at 18 mil on Bulldog. Considering how much time I've put into just these two tracks, I don't even want to begin to think about the 150+ in the full game.

boingball

nice OT.

Looking forward to SSX, the original and Tricky were two great games I sank countless hours into. Don't like the character design too much though. Well as long as it plays great.

tm24

Just played the demo. I have no idea what I'm doing but holy crap it's incredible. Still can't quite wrap my head around preloading the jump and switching to tricks. But i'll get there eventually. I didnt get Tony hawk at first but eventually that became second nature and this will to.

Add me to PSN-Gaf: mightytm24

red731

Can't seam to get over 9M, Silver on bulldog... Seam to mess up around the dam, keeping the tricky going right before it is a bit tough..

I cant get over 8M... and I am even doing the manuals and stuff.

When I focus too much I seem to fall more...so maybe thats that haha

But I cant wait to get home and play DEMO until midnight again...

ed: Also who thought that it would be good idea to sort psn names in the list? Now it is mish mash of people I added with people I havent in between.

lush

Demo is crazy fun, put a good two or three hours into it the last two nights which is alot for me. Love tricking but I'm not sure I'm all that fond of Bulldog. Working on my time has been fun as well, could certainly use some new times to shoot for. I'll be picking this one up day one for sure.

GT: Stereolab

Demo is crazy fun, put a good two or three hours into it the last two nights which is alot for me. Love tricking but I'm not sure I'm all that fond of Bulldog. Working on my time has been fun as well, could certainly use some new times to shoot for. I'll be picking this one up day one for sure.

Bulldog's terrain goes to fucking shit at the end. It's all gravy up to there, but that damn icy river almost always catches me and causes me to make a stupid mistake. Got my 24 mil run staying up high to the left.

lush

Bulldog's terrain goes to fucking shit at the end. It's all gravy up to there, but that damn icy river almost always catches me and causes me to make a stupid mistake. Got my 24 mil run staying up high to the left.

Yeah, I just figured out that there was another drop today so I'm still working on figuring out Bulldog. I'll always end up on the right side so I'll have to give that shot. Just staying out of the ravine is a bitch for me. Don't even get me started on the dam.

Still pretty new to it overall, not even sure how to manual at this point. I guess that'll be something to try out tomorrow.

Yeah, I just figured out that there was another drop today so I'm still working on figuring out Bulldog. I'll always end up on the right side so I'll have to give that shot. Just staying out of the ravine is a bitch for me. Don't even get me started on the dam.

Following the dam, stay to the right side after the first huge drop. You should soon see a kicker that will transfer you to the left side.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Finally played the demo on PS3

Dear god, I must have played the same level for over two hours just to beat that one guy on my friendslist. Every time his ghost rider passed me I wanted to scream bloody murder, but when I finally beat him, I felt amazing, and fist-pumped the air in triumph.

They might be on to something here, this ridernet system is crazy effective at making you want to one-up the people on your friendslist. If i didn't have shit to do today, i'd be playing right now, to beat his outrageous trick-it score, that bastard.

Also, that Run DMC Tricky-remix when you fill up your meter completely, with the enormous bass-quakes when you land, is simply fantastic.

Day one!

Suairyu

Banned
Alright! Broke the top 3 on my PS3 list. Haven't quite yet beaten J2 in under 2 minutes so that's my next goal.

Other than Dragnet, who's currently at the upper-end of the PS3 competition? I need more rivals!

Xun

Because I haven't got Gold yet, does the 360 version use the same control layout for classic? I played the 360 version at the Eurogamer Expo, but things have changed since then.

Top Bottom