• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

VVIS

Neo Member
wtf? Aside from the loss of point multiplier snowflakes, the game basically has a similar style as ssx3, which I thought was fine.

Also, I changed the controls to classic and it felt like the old days. I was able to jump right in.

Didn't know there was a trick run, I thought the demo only had the one speed run? Will have to go check that out.

wtf? Aside from the loss of point multiplier snowflakes, the game basically has a similar style as ssx3, which I thought was fine.

Also, I changed the controls to classic and it felt like the old days. I was able to jump right in.

Didn't know there was a trick run, I thought the demo only had the one speed run? Will have to go check that out.

Classic controls suck in this. They don't allow for spins nearly as fast as Standard. Not sure if its a bug or by design, but its definitely broken.

JaseMath

Classic controls suck in this. They don't allow for spins nearly as fast as Standard. Not sure if its a bug or by design, but its definitely broken.

One of the devs on the Merqury City boards said it wasn't like in the final game; that they bug-tested it and fixed it but, for whatever reason, it may not have translated over to the demo.

EDIT: Here's the actual quote.

Just saw that, sent it to Connor to check out. Obviously not intentional. I remember we actually had a bug about this during finaling, found it, fixed it and test-verified it, I sure hope it didn't unknowingly break again somehow. Also quite possible it is only in the demo (we branched code during final).

Will let you know when I know.

soultron

Banned
I would love a setting to change the control sensitivity. In SSX3 I felt very in control, in this one, I'm all over the place and out of control.

Yeah, it took me a while to get used to it at first too.

Keep in mind that the characters in the demo are both level 4 and probably have boards custom for the demo.

In the full game you'll be starting off with level 1 characters and much slower/tighter boards. That way it'll be easy to adjust! :p

bf7.gif

Pretty much how I felt when I started on stick controls.....

Switched to classic and I'm getting into it a bit more. Need to work out some lines in the tracks and I don't really feel like there's much of a difference between the tricks but other than that, I like the flow of the game. Just fun to play.

soultron

Banned
When's the review embargo up?

I'm not sure. EA is sending me an advance copy (I went to EAC to playtest the game as part of their community day this past summer; found out this week that they wanted to send me a copy) so I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. I'm obviously a huge SSX fanboy, so my stuff's going to be lovey-dovey, but I'll keep GAF updated on as much as I can. I'll try to stay as objective as possible. Haha.

wish I had seen this!

Also, not being able to turn while winding up spins/flips is killing me. Something I'll have to get used to, but still...shit.

Anyways, people on XBL should add me at EkaFrikay3141. I have one friend on xbl ._.

Yeah, the pre-wind turn radius is super tight. I'm guessing that will change at higher levels or with different boards. Characters also have individual stats, so some might be better at pre-wind handling than others. I'm not sure.

I'm not sure. EA is sending me an advance copy (I went to EAC to playtest the game as part of their community day this past summer; found out this week that they wanted to send me a copy) so I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. I'm obviously a huge SSX fanboy, so my stuff's going to be lovey-dovey, but I'll keep GAF updated on as much as I can. I'll try to stay as objective as possible. Haha.
Haha indeed. Well it's cool that you got a free copy.

Tawpgun

So... this just happened.

nxwE7.jpg

I haven't tried jumping out yet, but if I stay in here and manage to jump out and land it will my score be absurdly high? Its not adding anything to the actual score and I haven't entered tricky or anything.

EDIT: Wouldn't let me jump out. Had to rewind. And here I thought I beat the system.

soultron

Banned
So... this just happened.

nxwE7.jpg

I haven't tried jumping out yet, but if I stay in here and manage to jump out and land it will my score be absurdly high? Its not adding anything to the actual score and I haven't entered tricky or anything.

EDIT: Wouldn't let me jump out. Had to rewind. And here I thought I beat the system.

I don't think it would matter unless you let it sit there forever. The game's "Flow" system is designed so that you have to be moving down the mountain or else your multiplier (see how it's at 1x?) will drop to 1x. (It drops to 0x if you're on ground, I believe, but since you're doing a trick in that screen, the 1x multiplier has kicked in.)

Just went to my Amazon orders page and saw that I preordered this game twice. That could've been -really- fucking dumb.

On the other hand, I guess I really want it.

(demo impressions)

Seems like there's so much mess in the way of getting to the slope.

Unskippable intros can go somewhere hot and uncomfortable.

Newsboy

Neo Member
Loving this demo. Last SSX I played and enjoyed was 3, and this looks to really improve on that. Also, seeing NZ slopes and having Naked and Famous on the soundtrack was just pure bliss.

My ONLY gripe so far is the shitty animations the characters play inside the plane. *sigh* Would snowboarders ever do this kinda shit? I mean, ever?!

Also, what the hell does OT stand for. I see it all the time, and I don't think it's ever explained.

JambiBum

Loving this demo. Last SSX I played and enjoyed was 3, and this looks to really improve on that. Also, seeing NZ slopes and having Naked and Famous on the soundtrack was just pure bliss.

My ONLY gripe so far is the shitty animations the characters play inside the plane. *sigh* Would snowboarders ever do this kinda shit? I mean, ever?!

Also, what the hell does OT stand for. I see it all the time, and I don't think it's ever explained.

Official thread.

Ey should scrap Travis and give us a charecter fans want

This is kind of a stupid criticism. They've already finished him. Why just throw out all that work? I can understand wanting more old characters, but Travis is not taking the place of one of them. He's an extra promotional thing...

Thanks for the breakdown Obi, that's really helpful!

I've been trying to use the right analog stick the past few times (on the regular controls setting), would you say the buttons are easier to use?

I think the buttons are easier to use, because when I try the stick it ends up throwing off my control of the left stick.

xxczx

I think I've decided on a main, it's going to be Kaori. My main in SSX3 was Viggo, kinda bummed they didn't keep him in the recent SSX games.
I see you played SSX 3, do you not remember the clips inside the lift? :p
Official thread!

Edit: I've also added a lot of people from the PSN list, it's kinda annoying to do it with the PS3 controller so I've stopped. If anyone wants to add me, my ID is Prowler485!

I think I've decided on a main, it's going to be Kaori. My main in SSX3 was Viggo, kinda bummed they didn't keep him in the recent SSX games.
I see you played SSX 3, do you not remember the clips inside the lift?

I mained Viggo in SSX 3 too, I love the bit where he would get his tongue stuck to the pole. What a goof. I'm bummed he's not in this new one, I'll probably use Ty instead since I like his stripy shirt, but I'll drop him if he's too serious and probably pick up Moby instead.

Oh I disliked those too :p It just seems unnecessary.

They weren't unnecessary. They were used to cover up loading screens. Better than a boring screen if you ask me.

soultron

Banned
The OT is finally finished! Sorry that took so long! (School and life get in the way sometimes. Haha.)

I will finalize the contest sometime soon!

Hale-XF11

Great job, soultron! Lookin' slick, dude for reals.

So, I'm downloading the demo on my PS3 now. I have to see if maybe going back to the good ol' tried and true PS controller will make things easier on me since I'm not doing so hot on the 360. *fingers crossed*

soultron

Banned
Great job, soultron! Lookin' slick, dude for reals.

So, I'm downloading the demo on my PS3 now. I have to see if maybe going back to the good ol' tried and true PS controller will make things easier on me since I'm not doing so hot on the 360. *fingers crossed*

I'm curious how it plays on PS3 and if it looks any better there. I might boot up my roommate's PS3 and try it out!

If you guys are anything like me, you'll probably do better on PS3. On my first run through JT2 on the PS3 demo I managed to beat my best run from the Xbox version yesterday. I finished in like 2:09. PS3 FTW.

SpokkX

Ps3 ver seems to control better actually, strange since I hate dshock...

Framerate could be a bit more stable also, never saw a drop but noticed some on 360

soultron

Banned
If you guys are anything like me, you'll probably do better on PS3. On my first run through JT2 on the PS3 demo I managed to beat my best run from the Xbox version yesterday. I finished in like 2:09. PS3 FTW.

My JT2 score is 2:01.39 as of early this morning. c:

I'm addicted as fuck to this song off the soundtrack currently. Been listening to it a lot in anticipation of the game!

Tokubetsu

Never really noticed a difference between 360 and PS3 version. PS3 version may have been a bit sharper but that might just be shit on my end (360 running via VGA, PS3 is HDMI and obvious different display settings).

soultron

Banned
Never really noticed a difference between 360 and PS3 version. PS3 version may have been a bit sharper but that might just be shit on my end (360 running via VGA, PS3 is HDMI and obvious different display settings).

Check your scores. Better not be running scared because I topped your race time on JT2, brah.

InertiaXr

Reading the demo thread seemed to indicate that there is no 'SSX 3' control mode. 3 controls absolutely perfectly, so does anybody know why this was screwed up?

soultron

Banned
Reading the demo thread seemed to indicate that there is no 'SSX 3' control mode. 3 controls absolutely perfectly, so does anybody know why this was screwed up?

There are Classic controls. Currently there is no option to prewind on the analogue stick with them though; this option was given in later SSX games so you didn't have to use the d-pad for pre-winds.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you've written.

InertiaXr

There are Classic controls. Currently there is no option to prewind on the analogue stick with them though; this option was given in later SSX games so you didn't have to use the d-pad for pre-winds.

Unless I'm misunderstanding what you've written.

It's admittedly been a while since I've played 3 (this new ssx will definitely make me go back though), but I believe in 3 I always preloaded on the analog stick and tapped out spins on the d pad. No idea why they would take out control options, but preloading with ps3 d pad doesn't seem so bad. Good luck 360 owners though lmao, that sounds like a complete disaster on that controller.

LaneDS

Finally got to play a bit this evening. Didn't immediately love it (framerate is disappointing, physics felt off compared to how I remembered gliding through snow in SSX3, and knowing the classic controls are gimped) but after a few race events on the Rockies I was enjoying it a lot more. Going to take a lot of practice to get good at it again, but I welcome that.

Time to plug a keyboard into my PS3 for the first time and add you PSN folks. Not going to spend too much time with the demo but will dive into it heavily next week upon release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edItmLRisDc&feature=player_embedded

Wow, that track. I closed the video halfway through I just couldn't spoil myself. Wowowowow. THIS is the kind of tracks I'm looking forward too.

Yeah this is pretty insanely cool. I wish you could use the wingsuit in the demo. I feel like they should have put it in at least on the tutorial run just to show everybody how awesome it is to use.

Also I've said it before but I'll say it again. Tricking off the chopper is so fucking awesome. Nevermind the fact that it will insta-fill your Tricky meter, it just feels so awesome. Also seems to be worth a crap-load of points.

Turned off the pilot voice, turned down the game sound effects, left rider voice on 10, turned off the Tricky song, turned off the remix feature. Result = 1:58 on the race event. I think I've found my audio settings.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Yeah this is pretty insanely cool. I wish you could use the wingsuit in the demo. I feel like they should have put it in at least on the tutorial run just to show everybody how awesome it is to use.

Also I've said it before but I'll say it again. Tricking off the chopper is so fucking awesome. Nevermind the fact that it will insta-fill your Tricky meter, it just feels so awesome. Also seems to be worth a crap-load of points.

That never gets old, It's always a Fuck Yeah moment for me.

Tokubetsu

Turned off the pilot voice, turned down the game sound effects, left rider voice on 10, turned off the Tricky song, turned off the remix feature. Result = 1:58 on the race event. I think I've found my audio settings.

I'm not even gonna try until the fullgame. The remix feature changes the music when you go off jumps right?

Haha the pilots voice is funny

Ha-ha-hahtness

It's fine before and after the race, but it's too much during the run IMO. I just kept turning it lower and lower to the point where it was getting drowned out anyway.

I'm not even gonna try until the fullgame. The remix feature changes the music when you go off jumps right?

More than that though it scratched the track when your grinding. That's okay, but I like to vibe to the music all the way down, especially when I get my own tracks in the full game.

Top Bottom