• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

iSnTrunKvDy1v.jpg

I actually have two preorders on this game. Ordered it at Amazon since I had enough credit to get it for free, but I wanted Eddie so I have it at GameStop too. That will enable me to get it at like 8AM next Tuesday. Then when FedEx shows up at like 7PM I can just return that copy to GameStop. I will have my cake and eat it too.

Unless they have different SKU's :) :) Then you're fucked :)

Does this game have online racing against other people? I heard from someone that it doesn't, and knowing this fact makes me uninterested in the game now.

JackEtc

The button controls make most sense to me. Run yourself through the tutorial a few times and you'll start to get a feel for it. It does a good job of breaking it down, but here it is in text which may help you grasp it (pun intended) better.

Here are the four basic tricks:

X = left hand grabs left side of the board
B = right hand grabs right side of board
Y = both hands grab top of board
A = both hands grab bottom of board

And you can press two buttons in rapid succession (tap the first one, then quickly hold the second one) to do more complicated tricks. For these, the first button indicates what hand you use and the second indicates which part of the board that hand grabs.

Left hand tricks:

X->B = left hand grabs right side of board
X->Y = left hand grabs top of board
X->A = left hand grabs bottom of board

Right hand tricks:

B->X = right hand grabs left side of board
B->Y = right hand grabs top of board
B->A = right hand grabs bottom of board

Two hand tricks:

Y->X = both hands grab left side of board
Y->B = both hands grab right side of board
(I don't think there is a Y->A trick, but somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

For ALL of these tricks, press RT and you will tweak the trick out.

To do your unique SUPER UBER, press any of the three trick buttons (X, B, or Y) and BOTH RT and LT.
Thanks for the breakdown Obi, that's really helpful!

I've been trying to use the right analog stick the past few times (on the regular controls setting), would you say the buttons are easier to use?

Stackboy

I find the new controls a really welcome challenge. Finally get what they mean about the game having a new sense of speed.

Finding it hard to keep my combos, but I can learn.

Suppose to be coming out March 1st in Australia but I'm hoping for an earlier release.

Karish

SSX vets, you going new controls or classic?

Finding both difficult right now. Like the new ones but my brain sees SSX and thinks X (aka square) should be turbo. Yet the 360 bumpers and triggers don't work so great with classic controls IMO.

soultron

Banned
Does this game have online racing against other people? I heard from someone that it doesn't, and knowing this fact makes me uninterested in the game now.

In the OP, click on the World Tour image (the one with the helicopter), and you'll see the live multiplayer in action.

Is the option for the classic camera view coming with the game or is it getting patched in later?

Press back/select to toggle between a far chase cam and a more close up cam.

Tokubetsu

Finding both difficult right now. Like the new ones but my brain sees SSX and thinks X (aka square) should be turbo. Yet the 360 bumpers and triggers don't work so great with classic controls IMO.

I said earlier in the thread, but I like using the anlog stick for tricks, but I can't wrap my head around it for jumping. So I jump with A, trick and spin with the sticks.

soultron

Banned
I'll be adding a tonne of information to the OP in a day or two, I'm just really busy really busy with school right now!

New controls are way better for this game on the 360 IMO. It's just way too fast to be fumbling around with the Dpad, and the awkward trigger/bumper combos.

Tokubetsu

Now that I've spent too much time with the demo and had some time to think I have one one gripe with the game. I don't feel totally in control. I think it's a mix of a lot of things (map design, speed, and a bit of the controls), but I just feel at the mercy of everything. Definitely feel like there was a bit of luck involved in my runs down the mountain on the race it event today and I basically gave up trying to have a set line on the trick it event while still trying to hold combo with the nosing. I might just not have as good a grasp on things as I thought I did. Might need to learn re-learn classic controls to get accruacy back.

Bgamer90

Banned

New controls. They were very easy for me to get into, and they just feel really natural. I also had to get use to the trigger being boost (instead of the x button).

But yep, this game is going to be great.

soultron

Banned
Now that I've spent too much time with the demo and had some time to think I have one one gripe with the game. I don't feel totally in control. I think it's a mix of a lot of things (map design, speed, and a bit of the controls), but I just feel at the mercy of everything. Definitely feel like there was a bit of luck involved in my runs down the mountain on the race it event today and I basically gave up trying to have a set line on the trick it event while still trying to hold combo with the nosing. I might just not have as good a grasp on things as I thought I did. Might need to learn re-learn classic controls to get accruacy back.

I definitely feel there's a learning curve and also readjusting your expectations of this game. I don't mean that in the sense of lowering your expectations, but just opening your mind up to the fact that the new physics system means a different type of challenge. I actually enjoy the new physics system a tonne and I find it hard to go back to the old games because of it. (Said this many times before.)

The controls aren't terribly hard to learn if you really pay attention to what you're doing. The trick system is a bit complicated at first, but I'm glad the tutorial for tricks literally just lets you float in the air and mess up as many times as possible until you get the tricks. There are smaller nuances like demounting from rails (LT+direction) that I feel are not as well-explained, however. These small things can make huge differences. Also, I think some people are probably pre-winding way too early.

I feel like I'm just not there yet with the controls and my understanding of the trick system yet. (Player scores and times on Merq are a testament to this. Those dudes got hella finesse.) But I feel good about the game because I know I'll get there with an hour or two more of play to get comfortable.

Tokubetsu

I definitely feel there's a learning curve and also readjusting your expectations of this game. I don't mean that in the sense of lowering your expectations, but just opening your mind up to the fact that the new physics system means a different type of challenge. I actually enjoy the new physics system a tonne and I find it hard to go back to the old games because of it. (Said this many times before.)

The controls aren't terribly hard to learn if you really pay attention to what you're doing. The trick system is a bit complicated at first, but I'm glad the tutorial for tricks literally just lets you float in the air and mess up as many times as possible until you get the tricks. There are smaller nuances like demounting from rails (LT+direction) that I feel are not as well-explained, however. These small things can make huge differences. Also, I think some people are probably pre-winding way too early.

I feel like I'm just not there yet with the controls and my understanding of the trick system yet. (Player scores and times on Merq are a testament to this. Those dudes got hella finesse.) But I feel good about the game because I know I'll get there with an hour or two more of play to get comfortable.

Yea, I'm not cancelling my pre-order or anything but trying to shave off seconds on that race map was ROUGH and I think it's safe to assume that was one of the earlier levels lol

SLV

omg omg omg omg omg

Holy shit dude :D It is like 5:30 in the morning where you are now right ?
Although i had to wake up at the same time here, to go shoveling some more snow -_-

South West of England. Been up all night waiting for this bastard. Been playing Pokémon to pass the time.

Had I known ahead of time it would be like this, I would have just gone to bed.

Heh, i was rather pleasantly surprised when it hit really, checked just before going off, it was not there, once i came back after all the chores it was up, worked quite well in the end, lets hope it works like a charm now, 50 % done.

Suairyu

Banned
Holy shit dude :D It is like 5:30 in the morning where you are now right ?
South West of England. Been up all night waiting for this bastard. Been playing Pokémon to pass the time.

soultron

Banned
Yea, I'm not cancelling my pre-order or anything but trying to shave off seconds on that race map was ROUGH and I think it's safe to assume that was one of the earlier levels lol

Watch some of the Merq players and try to learn from their runs! Also, you are playing as Zoe right? (She has a +5 to speed!)

Dragnet

:eek: Whereabouts do you live man? I'm at Uni in Cheltenham, come from Bristol though.

Sojgat

Classic controls. However thats mainly because I have played so much ssx that anything else just didn't feel right. New controls work just fine though and are probably preferable for people who have never played ssx before. I can see how taking your thumb off the stick to wind with the dpad might seem pretty weird to new players. Bumpers and triggers work fine for me (ps3 bumpers would be better though).

Have been playing on-and-off all day shaving time and adding score. Wasn't sure at first but it's so much fun once you get the feel for it.

Still haven't managed gold in either event but almost. More demanding than I thought. I like it.

Considering cancelling my preorder. All I was thinking was playing was, I'd rather be playing Stoked or something. Something chiller where you can take your time and screw around instead of going down the mountain at 9000 miles an hour. Game is just way too chaotic and crazy and fast for me maybe, it's just not fun.

I'll give it another day or two I guess.

Considering cancelling my preorder. All I was thinking was playing was, I'd rather be playing Stoked or something. Something chiller where you can take your time and screw around instead of going down the mountain at 9000 miles an hour. Game is just way too chaotic and crazy and fast for me maybe, it's just not fun.

I'll give it another day or two I guess.

"Burnout on snow" was a phrase they threw around constantly. Kinda weird you didn't expect this coming in if you already had it pre-ordered.

"Burnout on snow" was a phrase they threw around constantly. Kinda weird you didn't expect this coming in if you already had it pre-ordered.

Well I loved the old SSX games. This does not feel like those. Also Burnout on snow I don't think adequately describes anything.

Well I loved the old SSX games. This does not feel like those. Also Burnout on snow I don't think adequately describes anything.

"Burnout on snow" in terms of how they've presented the sense of speed I think is a perfect description. The game's fast, much faster than the old ones in every way. If you can't get past that, you probably won't ever be able to really get into it. If there was one thing they got right with the initial trailer, it's that they didn't try to trick anyone into thinking this was a "chill" game.

"Burnout on snow" in terms of how they've presented the sense of speed I think is a perfect description. The game's fast, much faster than the old ones in every way. If you can't get past that, you probably won't ever be able to really get into it. If there was one thing they got right with the initial trailer, it's that they didn't try to trick anyone into thinking this was a "chill" game.

Yeah I don't recall anyone ever saying this game is so fast you're going to feel like you're out of control almost the entire time. If they did and I missed it I guess I'm in the wrong.

I said earlier in the thread, but I like using the anlog stick for tricks, but I can't wrap my head around it for jumping. So I jump with A, trick and spin with the sticks.

Yep, for tricks I find that the buttons suck, but the stick works great. But for jumping/preloading, the A button works better and more reliably than the combo of R+L sticks.

Yeah I don't recall anyone ever saying this game is so fast you're going to feel like you're out of control almost the entire time. If they did and I missed it I guess I'm in the wrong.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. But really, give it some more time. It felt real crazy for me too until I put a few hours into it. If you still don't like it, well, can't please everyone.

Top Bottom