• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. But really, give it some more time. It felt real crazy for me too until I put a few hours into it. If you still don't like it, well, can't please everyone.

Yeah I'll keep with it for another day or two. I want to like it. =\

"Burnout on snow" was a phrase they threw around constantly. Kinda weird you didn't expect this coming in if you already had it pre-ordered.

Yeah, I heard that too and prayed they were kidding. They weren't. It's just as awful as that description makes it sound too. Rather than feeling like I'm carving snow, it feels like I'm riding down mountains of pavement. Kinda wish they'd called the game something other than SSX, because the core gameplay barely resembles what many of us fell in love with unfortunately.

Elixist

Not feelin the demo and im a huge SSX fan :( . Dont like the plain artstyle, if your gonna put red rails and colored snow go the full monty dont half ass it. Dont like the feel, or the framerate. Guess this one isnt for me oh well.

Replicant

Not feelin the demo and im a huge SSX fan :( . Dont like the plain artstyle, if your gonna put red rails and colored snow go the full monty dont half ass it. Dont like the feel, or the framerate. Guess this one isnt for me oh well.

This is my biggest concern when I saw the gameplay on Youtube. The stage seems so lifeless and boring. The old SSX were full of colors and banners and various crazy platforms. This one is just snow, snow, and more snow with occasional red rails. I hope the final product is more varied than the demo but I don't like what I've seen so far.

Tawpgun

It's definitely much different. It's more forgiving in some aspects, but ruthless in others, mainly the trails and speed.

MercuryLS

Banned
Yeah I don't recall anyone ever saying this game is so fast you're going to feel like you're out of control almost the entire time. If they did and I missed it I guess I'm in the wrong.

Maybe you need more practice? I never feel like i'm out of control in this game, it's super fast but I always have a stung sense of control over what's going on at all times.

In the OP, click on the World Tour image (the one with the helicopter), and you'll see the live multiplayer in action.
Basically are we racing against each others' time trials? That's alright I guess, but I prefer physical appearance races like in the other games of the series, because you got to knock your opponents out when they came close to you, and that filled up your tricky meter.

A gripe I have with the gameplay is the camera angle, because it looks too zoomed out on the character. Hopefully there is an option to change it.

I'm missing those huge colorful snowflakes floating in the air everywhere. SSX used to be a giant snow boarding circus, but now it's kinda blahhhhhhhhh looking, but at the same time I don't really mind the graphics. At least compared to all the people complaining that it looks like low-res crap, which I definitely disagree with.

Tokubetsu

Basically are we racing against each others' time trials? That's alright I guess, but I prefer physical appearance races like in the other games of the series.

Another gripe I have with the gameplay is the camera angle, it looks too zoomed out on the character. Hopefully there is an option to change it.

Back button.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
All this reminds me SSX 3 demo complainments all over again. We know how did that one end and it didnt had the same style as tricky and it added some changes.

It will be something to get used to it IMO

Basically are we racing against each others' time trials? That's alright I guess, but I prefer physical appearance races like in the other games of the series.

Another gripe I have with the gameplay is the camera angle, it looks too zoomed out on the character. Hopefully there is an option to change it.

Press the select button to change it.

I played for about an hour tonight. Pretty good stuff, though I definitely had trouble keeping things under control and picking my lines. Hopefully that's something that becomes easier as I get used to the game.

I have a feeling we may be perfectly matched! We'll be earning each other credits right and left!
Yup, we're pretty evenly matched.

Bgamer90

Banned

You will be able to see other player's live as long as they are online in the same event that you are in.

Teknoman

I'm missing those huge colorful snowflakes floating in the air everywhere. SSX used to be a giant snow boarding circus, but now it's kinda blahhhhhhhhh looking, but at the same time I don't really mind the graphics. At least compared to all the people complaining that it looks like low-res crap, which I definitely disagree with.

Arent there giant snowflakes? I remember seeing something mentioning that or giant globe icons for bonuses. Maybe I need to play again...

I think this will be just like NFS HP: Average-lukewarm demo response because of the limited race/area, and then the retail really catches people's attention.

JambiBum

Arent there giant snowflakes? I remember seeing something mentioning that or giant globe icons for bonuses. Maybe I need to play again...

I think this will be just like NFS HP: Average-lukewarm demo response because of the limited race/area, and then the retail really catches people's attention.

Yes there are. Different colors too. Give you xp, credits, and some tricky meter I'm pretty certain.

Dragnet

There are totally snowflakes all over the place, they're just more translucent than they used to be so they're harder to see.

So on the PSN user list

A) I'm from Australia so I'd put myself under the EU Territory right?

B) Timezone? I'm +10 GMT for what it's worth...

Yeah, I'm bad at these. Geography is not my strong point.

There are snowflakes, but there aren't nearly the number of them (or the size) of the original SSX games. The focus of hitting them constantly to up your trick score is pretty much gone. They're now more of a reward for going on a certain path or jumping to a certain height.

I played the demo last night, I am the only one thinking that it went too fast? I thought the characters spun around too fast and did the tricks at superspeed. Maybe the charcaters in the demo were at a high level or something? At least there's a number 4 on them before you select them, maybe that's the level they're at?

Tokubetsu

I played the demo last night, I am the only one thinking that it went too fast? I thought the characters spun around too fast and did the tricks at superspeed. Maybe the charcaters in the demo were at a high level or something? At least there's a number 4 on them before you select them, maybe that's the level they're at?

No, the game is much faster than SSX3/Tricky in general. From tricks, to speed. We've been kinda touching on it throughout the thread. You can't really play it like you did the old games, at all.

soultron

Banned
There are snowflakes, but there aren't nearly the number of them (or the size) of the original SSX games. The focus of hitting them constantly to up your trick score is pretty much gone. They're now more of a reward for going on a certain path or jumping to a certain height.

There are 599 snowflakes in this game. You're right, however, in that they do not function as multipliers. They're still meant to be challenging to collect, but they reward you with a bundle of credits this time around.

EvB

Really enjoyed that demo, I just wish I could skip the tutorial. My thumbs were sore from trying to climb to the top of my friends list.

I know it had the different modes and different tones, but I'm really surprised just how like Tricky it is. It's really nice to play a great trick based extreme sports game, I've missed them since Tony Hawks went bad and Activision stopped trying to make other sports.

Bring back wake boarding unleashed I say.

2 Sore Thumbs up for SSX for me

soultron

Banned
Really enjoyed that demo, I just wish I could skip the tutorial. My thumbs were sore from trying to climb to the top of my friends list.

I know it had the different modes and different tones, but I'm really surprised just how like Tricky it is. It's really nice to play a great trick based extreme sports game, I've missed them since Tony Hawks went bad and Activision stopped trying to make other sports.

Bring back wake boarding unleashed I say.

2 Sore Thumbs up for SSX for me

You can skip the tutorial by pausing and choosing to exit.

The game is too forgiving

I must suck at it because I still bail. Poor Mac.

bridegur

I love the demo. It looks great and I actually like the new control scheme, which is a surprise. My only complaint is that it feels a bit too fast, but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Smh..I trick better on the race drop than I do the trick it event.

I really do like the demo. My biggest problems with it are probably the garbage tutorial and the fact that there's only two drops open.

No, the game is much faster than SSX3/Tricky in general. From tricks, to speed. We've been kinda touching on it throughout the thread. You can't really play it like you did the old games, at all.

I've been playing a bit of SSX3 on my PS2 lately to warm up for this game. It's such a huge difference in speed. I wonder if they're just afraid that impatient kids today will just think the game is boring if it goes slower or something.

As I posted in the demo thread, while the game is fun, I feel like this game is less about "mess around and have fun", and more "get the fastest times and highest scores." Since that isn't my kind of game, I think I'm not going to get this game Day 1 like I planned.

(Works out well for me, though. I have limited money and have other games I really want coming next month.)

I still greatly look forward to seeing the other locations and the rest of the game.

soultron

Banned
As I posted in the demo thread, while the game is fun, I feel like this game is less about "mess around and have fun", and more "get the fastest times and highest scores." Since that isn't my kind of game, I think I'm not going to get this game Day 1 like I planned.

(Works out well for me, though. I have limited money and have other games I really want coming next month.)

I still greatly look forward to seeing the other locations and the rest of the game.

I understand that. It was funny how some one on Merq said the same thing. Then they suggested just riding through the demo at your own pace, calling it "Express Yourself" mode. I laughed, tried it, and had a pretty good time just exploring the tracks.

Just beat the ghost for gold on the race.

Grrrrr.... Took me way long. I'm missing a secret route, aren't I? Any tips on how to get a better time.

Will try the no jumping thing.

Lumine

Oh man, I've been waiting for a next gen SSX for years... can't believe it's actually here now and I don't even have the time nor money to play it. :(

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have to say, there's something off about the demo. It seems like it'll be a solid game but it just doesn't quite FEEL like SSX anymore. The constant tutorials were really off-putting considering the game has already been simplified somewhat.

Your character simply moves left and right too quickly and very little skill is required to pull off some pretty crazy maneuvers.

xxczx

I was FIVE seconds ahead and I went the wrong way (through the tunnel with the train(?) tracks) which lost some time.

rdSJ7.jpg

But I still won (barely!)

iFootball

Your character simply moves left and right too quickly and very little skill is required to pull off some pretty crazy maneuvers.

I have noticed a lot of folks here complaining about either unresponsive controls or very quick or sharp turns & movements... what I have learned is that this is most noticeable after landing a jump, when you suddenly turn much more sharply than expected... and what I noticed is that this is probably due to the angle in which you're landing + the direction you're pressing on the left stick...

So, if when landing your character's board is angled 45% to the right, but you're also holding 'right' in the stick, your characters ends-up making a 90%+ sharp turn to the right... if I remember correctly, this was not as extreme in the original SSXs

What I've learned is to pay more attention to how my board is angled when landing, and to let go of the stick to keep the same direction/momentum of my landing (or just be more subtle)...

I'm not sure if I made myself clear, but that's the best way I have to describe this..

I would love a setting to change the control sensitivity. In SSX3 I felt very in control, in this one, I'm all over the place and out of control.

Hobbun

Oh how I wish they had done split-screen head to head with this. Hopefully they will get back to that with the next SSX.

I still plan on picking this up, though.

BrikHog

Neo Member
I would love a setting to change the control sensitivity. In SSX3 I felt very in control, in this one, I'm all over the place and out of control.

I don't even think the controls are the problem, I think the base speed is too fast. It seems like the engine and trick system was built for racing and getting boost to move faster.

In the bulldog run, I was overshooting alot of ramps or landing in bad positions because of how cramped alot of the ramps are setup and how fast I was going. It almost forces you to slow down in some areas.

You get used to it but the game ends up looking really chaotic and hectic.

"Burnout on snow" in terms of how they've presented the sense of speed I think is a perfect description. The game's fast, much faster than the old ones in every way. If you can't get past that, you probably won't ever be able to really get into it. If there was one thing they got right with the initial trailer, it's that they didn't try to trick anyone into thinking this was a "chill" game.

Well, I guess the question worth asking yourself is "did it need to be faster"?

The original games played so well, and just felt great to control. This new game just seems like someone took that beautiful painting that was the original SSX games, and sprinkled cocaine on it. That doesn't make it better.

One choice they made with this game that I love is the squirrel suit. I think that was a brilliant addition, but changing up the controls and increasing the speed dramatically do not seem like improvements to me. The game just feels more messy as a result.

I like it, I just don't see myself saying "I love it", and I doubt it will hold up like the old games did from a design and gameplay perspective.

StuBurns

Banned
I just played the demo, it's awesome. I was so disappointed when the game was first announced, but somehow now it's here it's really exciting. Can't wait.

Top Bottom