• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

soultron

Banned
I'm guessing not, I would think they're instanced by drop point. I'm not sure though.

Todd Batty sent me this a while ago,

On some mountains you can actually access and ride different tracks than the one you dropped into, especially with a good wingsuit. Antarctica is like this, Siberia and Alaska as well. And others. It’s too funny, sometimes you will go way off the beaten track and hide a geotag, only to discover it is in plain sight when riding on the neighboring drop.

whitehawk

Banned
Just beat a few of your scores soultron. Including one race that took me a while. Can't remember the name, but you had 1:40 and I got 1:37. It was a lot of fun though. I watched your ghost to help me gain speed in some areas. In other parts I took different routes however, which seemed to have been a good decision.

I'll never beat your Rolling Thunder score though.

Rlan

I love the normal tracks in the game, but the whole Oxygen / Super amount of trees / Ice Axe / Getting cold levels can fuck right off.

I reallllly hope the DLC is a long, smooth, chill-type mountain. I'm loving this game, but it can be extremely frustrating at times. My fav part of the old SSXs (particularly 3) was just carving it up on the mountain on a sunny day.

So I'm racing down Death Zone's 1 Mill global event to get platinum and I see iSneakyLeroy on the track, so I race him down and for 2 runs straight I beat him down the mountain, HAHA LOL

JaseMath

I wish you could choose day or night for events. Why must I always trick Serenity at night?! It's so gorgeous at sunset...

whitehawk

Banned
I reallllly hope the DLC is a long, smooth, chill-type mountain. I'm loving this game, but it can be extremely frustrating at times. My fav part of the old SSXs (particularly 3) was just carving it up on the mountain on a sunny day.
Agreed.

It would be hard though, because you barely have any speed without boost. I'd like to cruise down a mountain without many jumps, but also go fast.

While I have learned to enjoy all styles of tracks in this SSX, from the peaceful slopes of Serenity to the narrow ridges of The First Step, what I would really love to see added to this game (besides VOICE CHAT) is just some really long non-hazardous drops. Something without a strict goal, no timer or score or any of that, just a mountain you can expressively ride down for a good amount of time without feeling pressured to beat someone. A "Free Ride" with tracks designed for it.

I really love this new SSX but sometimes the competition gets to be a little too much and I'd like a place to relax in this game instead of having my favorite song come up only to have it prematurely end when I mess up (just one example). In races maybe the fastest line isn't where I want to ride, and in trick it maybe the best valued tricks aren't the ones I want to do. Occasionally I'll try to ride down the mountain and ignore every bit of competition but it can be challenging, and even if there was an option to turn it all off I imagine this game would benefit greatly with longer tracks designed with a free ride in mind.

SadAli

Neo Member
Normally I'm all for voice chat in games but I'm not actually that bothered by the lack of support in this. When I'm concentrating on a run I can barely grunt in agreement never mind actually hold a conversation. At best the person I'm chatting to would just get a steady stream of invectives broken up by the occasional accusation that the game was unfair, finished off with a triumphant acclaim of my greatness.

So I finally set a great time on one track, putting me top of my friends list. The game then told me that my next score to beat was my own. I'd always assumed from the loading screen claim that they would find someone new for me to beat that it would pull out a time from outside my friends list but guessing this isn't the case?

soultron

Banned
Man, not having XBL Gold right now stinks. The game is extremely lonely without you, dearest SHREDDING BROS.

I see we finally got moved to Community. Feels weird, breh.

red731

How does it look like with that two week event? Are we near 50k on both consoles?
Havent been folowing it that much since getting gold and platinum on race and trick it...

edit@2109: this thread will die since moving to comm forum :(

JaseMath

How does it look like with that two week event? Are we near 50k on both consoles?
Havent been folowing it that much since getting gold and platinum on race and trick it...

edit@2109: this thread will die since moving to comm forum :(

PS3 is only around 23K with less that a week left. No way it will hit 50K. :(

red731

PS3 is only around 23K with less that a week left. No way it will hit 50K. :(

Just checked it and Beyond the Fall: RACE IT! says there is 45 642 total riders.
Same drop but TRICK IT is at 27 449 right now.
Both 5 days + 9hrs left.

I believe..

Btw I am also on ps3, have you as friend, but why is our rider count so different?

JaseMath

Just checked it and Beyond the Fall: RACE IT! says there is 45 642 total riders.
Same drop but TRICK IT is at 27 449 right now.
Both 5 days + 9hrs left.

I believe..

Btw I am also on ps3, have you as friend, but why is our rider count so different?

I'll do the Race It event - looked at it last night and thought the Trick It and Race It events were about even at 23-27K a piece. Weird.

red731

Where are my half pipes and traditional multiplayer/splitscreen? I feel ripped off.

:lol@the research you've made before buying

mp is competitive, addictive and is good as it is - also, half pipes are everywhere, you must just use the terrain.

Xun

Man, not having XBL Gold right now stinks. The game is extremely lonely without you, dearest SHREDDING BROS.

I see we finally got moved to Community. Feels weird, breh.
Yeah I don't have Gold at the moment either.

Still a blast to play, although I've yet to beat you on anything yet...

soultron

Banned
Yeah I don't have Gold at the moment either.

Still a blast to play, although I've yet to beat you on anything yet...

You'll get there! Have you been maximizing your potential by using level 10 chars, mods, and gear? All of my runs are done with a level 10 Alex.

Getting Gold again tomorrow, SHREDDING BROS! ("Reunited and it feels so good," etc.)

MMaRsu

Banned
You'll get there! Have you been maximizing your potential by using level 10 chars, mods, and gear? All of my runs are done with a level 10 Alex.

Getting Gold again tomorrow, SHREDDING BROS! ("Reunited and it feels so good," etc.)

Alex is awesome isnt she... :)I only use her for races and Eddie for tricking :D

Herbert Moon

Neo Member
So why exactly do I need to spend credits to unlock tracks in explore mode? I thought completing the Deadly Descents mode would unlock everything, but apparently not.

It's not like the tracks are expensive or anything, it just seems strange.

AndyD

aka andydumi
So why exactly do I need to spend credits to unlock tracks in explore mode? I thought completing the Deadly Descents mode would unlock everything, but apparently not.

I found that odd too. They are not even expensive, its just a waste of an extra few clicks and a little money.

So the Xbox event has already hit 50K people, I think you need to actually play it from this point forward to get the badge itself.

Hows the PS3 event doing? I get the feeling level 11 was going to be unlocked regardless of whether the events got the population needed but its still nice to get the badge.

soultron

Banned

I'm pretty sure that these drops arepay-gated so that you don't jump into them without playing the game a bit first. By playing the game, you earn credits and experience (I mean actual experience as in hands-on play time with the game), and you use said credits to unlock the track and said experience to do well on the track.

Imagine One Step Ahead being the first track you played. It might be enough to ruin your perception of the game because you weren't given the chance to acclimate yourself to the controls and the importance of levelling and/or equipping optimal gear.

I was one of those people who always made it clear how much I hate the reverse camera in SSX, but my friend really wanted me to try and beat his trick score on Invincible.

Something about this drop really got me loving the different perspective, though more than likely it was because of the mode. Rode down this drop doing the trick event several times and had a blast. Still don't think it works well for the other modes but I haven't given them a big enough chance outside of World Tour.

red731

What the fuck is this level 11 gear shit people keep talking about?

If both xbox and ps3 users reach to 50k, then the developers will unlock level 11 and its gear.
Global Event on Alps - Vorrasay - Beyond the fall I guess (youll see if you check).

So thats the shit we keep talking about :)

ed: here Toku - facebook link

Big kickers in caves with low ceilings.

2wrqY.jpg

soultron

Banned
I was one of those people who always made it clear how much I hate the reverse camera in SSX, but my friend really wanted me to try and beat his trick score on Invincible.

Something about this drop really got me loving the different perspective, though more than likely it was because of the mode. Rode down this drop doing the trick event several times and had a blast. Still don't think it works well for the other modes but I haven't given them a big enough chance outside of World Tour.

I think it works great from either camera angle. The unstable snow (let's call them "mini-avalanches") on drops like Bear Claw and Death Zone are great fun. Players requesting that avalanches be played from the normal camera perspective get their wish on runs like that. c:

Funny story is that, on a Survive It GE on One Step Ahead (IIRC), I thought I heard the sound of avalanche snow triggering on my third run down and freaked out. I don't know why I thought I heard it, but it had me laughing pretty hard when I figured out it wasn't actually happening and that I had simply spooked myself.

red731

Does anyone have list of their favourite drops?

I will be creating mine next time I will play. Just wildly asking here before.

Top Bottom