• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen - Fans have dropped $77m on this guys buggy, half-built game [WIRED]

for some reason this sentence is strange to me.

"just give them money and youll totally be caught up to speed and have all the answers"

It is actually a factually inaccurate statement.
You have to spend 0 USD to see what they are doing.. that is.. as long as you are fine with being updated via video and text instead of playable code.

Shantom

For better or worse AAA developers are held strictly accountable in one way or another

This crowdfunded AAA approach has yet to prove a better setup but I guess its far more inclusive to fans..

Which crowdfunded AAA games are you thinking of, exactly?

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness

"just give them money and youll totally be caught up to speed and have all the answers"

Meaning you can play what's currently available and see what changes as they release bug fixes. It's not like you have to pay to read the information.

This all reminds me of how ambitious Too Human was and how Denis Dyack was tarred and feathered for his shit. He certained had more funding that 77 million though. At least this looks promising and based on what I'm reading on the site, is somewhat reachable.

Not really

Development once again shifted to the Xbox 360 when Silicon Knights announced a partnership with Microsoft in May 2005, which included plans to develop Too Human into a trilogy.[13] Despite initial development on the console, the game did not meet its original planned release date for "a 2006 holiday", with development continuing for an additional two years.[13] The budget for the game has been estimated to be between US$ 60-100 million.[14][15]

A lot of that is gonna be marketing/publishing expenses too id assume

It is actually a factually inaccurate statement.
You have to spend 0 USD to see what they are doing.. that is.. as long as you are fine with being updated via video and text instead of playable code.

Oh well thats different, he said back the game for 30 bucks and we'll see

R_Deckard

This game seems a lesson in when feature creep becomes bigger than the project.

Over a year later than its original goal of release I cannot help but feel they have lost all sight of the aim and are rushing headlong into more and more content, starting 20 projects and finishing none, Hell 3 years in and they cannot even have a bug free Fire-Fight demo running.

The joke about The order is very good and sums up how this looks, after reading the article we can see where the money is going. On expensive Filmic commercial to inspire the world lore, worrying about camera angles and effects over just a single vertical slice that you can pick up and play.

But I hope they can pull this off and deliver at least some of the promise (it will never reach the lofty goals some have put on it, even here in this thread) but the attitude from the team and many here is summed up with the Dev quote below from the article.

Wulf Knight is more clear-eyed. “Some people think, ‘I put a hundred bucks into this game and you owe me this and this and this,’” he says. “No. Your $100 entitles you to just as much as my 22 grand does, which is zero. You gave them money to make this game. You're not buying anything; it's a donation.”

Just like the OR facebook sale made many feel betrayed, what if this gets snapped up by EA for example as a new Franchise for them with a longer delay and possible platform talks? Right now the aim IMOP should be to deliver a final section of the game with some social aspects for all the backers to be able to explore or fight online so that actual opinions of the game mechanic, production can be seen rather than more money on Pay 2 Win ships or internal higher cash goals with even more creep.

ElyrionX

I watched the videos on the site linked in the OP and my gosh, they are good. But wasting resources on shit like that instead of actual game development sounds like a giant red flag. I am calling it now. This game is going to bomb hard.

They aren't $10000 microtransactions. They are ridiculously high backing levels with your typical backing rewards for people that have ridiculous amounts of money and want to back the development of the game.

Saying something like this actually makes sense if high levels of "backing" result in some form of monetary return if the game actually turns out good, ie. it's an actual investment.

But in this case, all backers get are digital assets and nothing from the game's revenue and profits. Admittedly, those in-game digital assets could result in monetary returns eventually (selling off those in-game ships at absurd amounts to other people if the game turns out to be extremely popular and the ships are limited in supply).

But the thing is, Chris Roberts walks away with all the cash if the game sells well. The whole risk-reward system has been distorted. Videogames development is an extremely risky business proposition these days and Chris Roberts effectively offloaded all that risk to fans and reaps all the rewards. It's truly incredible.

He funded the prototype.

How much did that cost?

Which crowdfunded AAA games are you thinking of, exactly?

Well nothing quite like this

Pretty sure this project is the first of its kind at this scale

I mean I could bring up Peter Molynuexs ill fated game but I dont think that was anywhere near the same scale

So... what's going on with the development?

This article is the very first I've heard about the game.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/project-status

This includes years worth of weekly updates. but not only that there are youtube videos, conference presentations, articles that give time and dates. The thread we have here on haf is huge and filled with info.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=830383

There is so much information out on the game I haven't been able to go through it all myself.

The amount of people donating 3 or 4 figure amounts are crazy. Lol at paying for in game ships in a game that won't release for years and has little chance of living up to expectations.

The day this game is released as a bomba will see the Internet explode. If it ever releases.

Feels like the game is too big to succeed. I hope I'm wrong but I don't expect anything decent.

Sigh it is stuff like this that makes people not want to respond to such empty criticism. You do know that basically every module will be launched this year even if they are in early stage. Who, am I kidding, of course you don't know. The hanger and Arena Commander has been out for a while, they have updated AC to prepare for FPS and multi crew ships. Many of the ships you see on the page are actually flyable and the ones you will see first are the ones that will be fighting condition and in the S42 storyline.

It just means you can play AC and see the level of detail and polish that goes into the game and how the game has grown. Seeing a roadmap and understanding why helps to understand the deadlines.

If by "YOU DONT KNOW OKAY" means people breaking down exactly what the game offers right now and how open the developers have been.

At this point in time it is a rather invalid question actually. THe game has two deal with 3 different countries' tax systems and fraud monitoring. Likewise... reading the article and knowing anything about game development shows you how they are spending their money (4 studios... ehem).

How so? My Hangar works just the same as before except now I can enter my ship (which you originally even couldn't) and access other rooms and use the elevator.

Like I said above, at this point in time there is such a wealth of information about this game's development and goals that it is almost unacceptable for people to ask, "what are they doing?" Especially in a thread where the OP article explains what they are doing.

I am starting to guess that alot of critics are more interested in doing drive by commentary instead of taking the time to look. But I have included some links at top of the post so that should help out a little.

I watched the videos on the site linked in the OP and my gosh, they are good. But wasting resources on shit like that instead of actual game development sounds like a giant red flag. I am calling it now. This game is going to bomb hard.

If you are talking about the commercial they were apart of backing goals for certain million dollar goals. Considering they do not advertise for this game and the money goes back into development that isn't as absurd as you are presenting it. Even if they made commercials for every ship of the game and it cost them 100k, You honestly think that amount subtracted from 77 million will equal a failure? You think the guy behind Wing Commander, starlancer and freelancer (consultant) has no idea what he is doing?

KKRT00

How much did that cost?

How would I know? Enough to hire dozen of people to work on it and bought CryEngine licence.
He put money into this game at first stage of the crowdfunding and actually get real investors, but they dont need them anymore or his own money.

Shantom

Ummmm

This is not even close to an apt comparison.

Star Citizen is not out. It isn't correct to criticise a game for being half buiilt and buggy when it hasn't even been released. I was indeed taking it a bit too far with that comparison, but it's annoying that a great deal of the criticism of SC is the scale of its budget, especially since you'd expect a larger budget to lead to more development time.

They have scanning tech already on the planets, implementing on ships is not really a big deal.

That example wasn't the only time I've seen it happen. I felt it was a more common occurrence than I would expect, could just be I miss the episodes where things are a bit more cut and dry.

The joke about The order is very good and sums up how this looks, after reading the article we can see where the money is going. On expensive Filmic commercial to inspire the world lore, worrying about camera angles and effects over just a single vertical slice that you can pick up and play.

I am so sorry to single you out, but this is straight up bullshit. The commercials are made by 1 to 3 man teams and have been used as prototype platforms to test graphical effects and spur on asset development.

Some have been even made for "free" by people attempting to joing the team (the 300i commercial). That is not anywhere near where the money is "actually going."

Star Citizen is not out. It isn't correct to criticise a game for being half buiilt and buggy when it hasn't even been released. I was indeed taking it a bit too far with that comparison, but it's annoying that a great deal of the criticism of SC is the scale of its budget, especially since you'd expect a larger budget to lead to more development time.

No my criticism is that they arent locking down a "budget" in the first place

Sorry but I prefer to see a level of focus and nose to the grindstone

In fact their apparent "transparency" to fans seems like a huge imposed distraction and obligation.

I would rather they laid out a more concrete plan and set a deadline to reveal the work at a later date than just liveblogging the entire creation.

ElyrionX

I am so sorry to single you out, but this is straight up bullshit. The commercials are made by 1 to 3 man teams and have been used as prototype platforms to test graphical effects and spur on asset development.

Some have been even made for "free" by people attempting to joing the team (the hornet commercial). That is not anywhere near where the money is "actually going."

There are countless number of stories out there about how games end up in development hell and eventually bombed hard. Seriously, they all read like what was written in the article here as well as the comments in this thread. Just go look up Daikatana or for a more recent example, the Kingdoms of Amalur MMO.

Hey guys, I heard Take Two gave Rockstar an unlimited budget for GTAVI, but it isn't even half built yet! What are they doing with the money?

Rockstar has a proven track record of successful games. Rockstar is shackled by their publisher, the publisher doesn't give them all the money at the start, they give them as needed.

Star Citizen, not so much.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Saying something like this actually makes sense if high levels of "backing" result in some form of monetary return if the game actually turns out good, ie. it's an actual investment.

But in this case, all backers get are digital assets and nothing from the game's revenue and profits. Admittedly, those in-game digital assets could result in monetary returns eventually (selling off those in-game ships at absurd amounts to other people if the game turns out to be extremely popular and the ships are limited in supply).

Here's an angle I think most people are missing - my return on investment is getting a better game. The expectation is that the majority of the money's going into efficient development, and that seems to be the case (I'm actually a bit surprised they turned down the one-off $100k voice acting). So, for the guy who spends $20k, he's getting $20k worth of ships, but those ships are also in a game that's that much better because he's kicked in those funds.

People often use sports car analogies here. I'd say in this case, people are kicking in toward a better collective Ferrari (the finished game). The ships are a bonus.

Someone wants a premium experience, they can pay for a premium PC. In this case, they can also support someone working to build a premium game. That's how I see it.

In fact their apparent "transparency" to fans seems like a huge imposed distraction and obligation.

I would rather they laid out a more concrete plan and set a deadline to reveal the work at a later date than just liveblogging the entire creation.

1. You are saying they are unfocused and not working hard enough. Really?
2. You are saying that them informing the world and their fanbase is an "imposed distraction and obligation." Rather than... you know... something refeshingly honest.
3. They have a concrete plan and reveal dates. Hence why they constantly update it and have scheduled showings at technical shows, GDC, pax east, etc.
There are countless number of stories out there about how games end up in development hell and eventually bombed hard. Seriously, they all read like what was written in the article here as well as the comments in this thread. Just go look up Daikatana or for a more recent example, the Kingdoms of Amalur MMO.

I am not sure why you type that as a response to my calling out someone on their accusation of the game devs spending all their money on "cinematic commercials and camera cuts." Something which is blatantly false.

DieH@rd

Banned
For better or worse AAA developers are held strictly accountable in one way or another

This crowdfunded AAA approach has yet to prove a better setup but I guess its far more inclusive to fans..

ProjectCARS did it. Whoever gave more than $45 [which gets you access to game builds and full game] is INVESTOR. We will get share of the game profits [X amount of share over Y years] back via PayPall. There were people who gave over $10K for pCARS, and if game is successful they will get their money back maybe several times over [we can hope the game will sell well].

That has to be the most expensive dev budget of all time right?

No. Some games have had marketing budgets that big.

ElyrionX

So who here bought one of those fixer upper Javelin Destroyers at $2,500 a pop?

I mean, it's hard enough trying to understand people who spend amounts like that for in-game assets on existing games that are already established and running live. But to spend that kind of money on in-game assets for a game that barely exists? It's utterly insane.

But this and Pillars of Eternity clearly show that the big publishers seriously need to alter or expand their business strategies because there clearly is pent-up demand for all these old-school genres from people who have spending power.

KKRT00

Which of those games had thousands of testers giving feedback years before they launched?

R_Deckard

Some have been even made for "free" by people attempting to joing the team (the 300i commercial). That is not anywhere near where the money is "actually going."

No worries, but it is not at all. as in the article that you read it says
The ad is being produced by an effects shop that worked on Firefly and Battlestar Galactica, and it's edited and scored like a slick car commercial

Now these are not freelancers to me although not to say other work is being done for free. At least they stopped at the $100k voice over cost!

1. You are saying they are unfocused and not working hard enough. Really?
2. You are saying that them informing the world and their fanbase is an "imposed distraction and obligation." Rather than... you know... something refeshingly honest.
3. They have a concrete plan and reveal dates. Hence why they constantly update it and have scheduled showings at technical shows, GDC, pax east, etc.

I am not sure why you type that as a response to my calling out someone on their accusation of the game devs spending all their money on "cinematic commercials and camera cuts."

Thank you

I was waiting for SOMEONE to shed more light on the subject because I actually find this fascinating

More details the better man

Dr. Kaos

Banned
Big software/IT projects have lots of outsourcing and separate vendors anyways.

For gaming, Mass Effect 3 had a different studio for the MP, DA:I team outsourced render work to the China studio, Ubisoft has several subsidiaries including in Singapore working on different parts of a product.

ME3 multiplayer is unimportant crap as you know. ME is all about single player. Also, multiplayer is completely separate from single player. While Squadron 42 may be a standalone, the other 3 games need to be thoroughly integrated, which is overly ambitious and doomed to failure in my opinion.

Render work is completely ok and very different than what we're talking about.

Can you be more specific about which Ubisoft game you're talking and which parts of it were made by which subsidiaries?

In any case, Ubisoft should not be used as an example of how to do things right. I think their games are terrible, buggy messes nowadays, with the exception of Rayman, which I guarantee was made by a single studio.

mnannola

Holy shit game that won't be ready for 2 years is unfinished, thanks for the update Wired.

This game may or may not live up to the expectations they have set, but trying to make the point that it is worrisome that the game has raised so much money and is not finished yet is ridiculous. Anyone that follows the game and the updates they put out would not be worried about if the game is making progress or not.

Just look at this shit. No other company gives updates on that scale on unfinished products.

If they want to bash the game upon release because it doesn't do what they said it will, I am completely cool with that. But why bash a game that is unfinished because...it's unfinished?

KKRT00

Thank you

I was waiting for SOMEONE to shed more light on the subject because I actually find this fascinating

More details the better man

The details are there, go read and watch CIG documents.

---
ME3 multiplayer is unimportant crap as you know. ME is all about single player. Also, multiplayer is completely separate from single player. While Squadron 42 may be a standalone, the other 3 games need to be thoroughly integrated, which is overly ambitious and doomed to failure in my opinion.

Render work is completely ok and very different than what we're talking about.

Can you be more specific about which Ubisoft game you're talking and which parts of it were made by which subsidiaries?

In any case, Ubisoft should not be used as an example of how to do things right. I think their games are terrible, buggy messes nowadays, with the exception of Rayman, which I guarantee was made by a single studio.
MMOs are made by few studios simultaneously. Read about EVE Online for example.

No worries, but it is not at all. as in the article that you read it says

Editted by them, for one commercial. The cinematics team at the time did the in engine set up. That team was two dudes in the top office of CIG's santa monica studio. They detailed it in a video update.

Not my fault the article doesn't show everything.

Also... How does anything in that article instill you with the impression that they are spending all the money on a filmic, cinematic, non.interactive experience with camera cuts? That is your accusation.

Someone more informed than me can answer this one probably...

but what IS the endgame? when is it a game? Is there any picture of what that is? When is it 1.0 i can go tell joe casual who buys 2 games a year its totally worth jumping into a finished completed polished version of star citizen?

I know the game will probably be expanded on for a long time if its successful, but they have to have some sort of "this version is done, now we iterate" right?

Kabouter

I've had some good fun with the Arena Commander module, and am hopeful other parts of the game will similarly deliver. That said however, it is unquestionable that there are a great many fans who clearly have unrealistic expectations with regards to features and level of detail. As long as CIG doesn't get too caught up in the expectations and desires of those fans however, I'm sure the game will be fine.

but what IS the endgame? when is it a game? Is there any picture of what that is? When is it 1.0 i can go tell joe casual who buys 2 games a year its totally worth jumping into a finished completed polished version of star citizen?

I know the game will probably be expanded on for a long time if its successful, but they have to have some sort of "this version is done, now we iterate" right?

It will eventually be in shops yes. I certainly wouldn't expect that until like late 2016, probably later.

Rockstar has a proven track record of successful games. Rockstar is shackled by their publisher, the publisher doesn't give them all the money at the start, they give them as needed.

Star Citizen, not so much.
and the whole 'they own the company and the profits it generates' thing ;p

Shantom

I feel that their approach to releasing the game (in 'modules') helps them with this. The various modules that are due out this year for instance (like the FPS module and Squadron 42) show that they do have a concrete plan and are working towards deadlines, and the budgets for these sections will have been set a while ago.

The details are there, go read and watch CIG documents.

No

This is why we have a Topic

To discuss and diseminate information in an efficient manner. Stop derailing and expecting me to go down the rabbit hole with you

I just want to hear you explain it to me like we were having lunch together

Pitch it man

ThomasCro

Full release is scheduled for 2016, I'm guessing it gets pushed back closer to 2017.

Full game is supposed to be the ultimate sandbox game, the goal is to make a game where you can do whatever you want to do that is limited by the game engine, moderated by in game laws and NPC police, and if you want to go full pirate, you should stick to the lawless sectors where you can literally do anything you want.

The game has a FPS component with ship boarding possible, you can trade, race, fight in the army or the fleet, you know...the works.

Also, EXTREME realism is the primary focus of the game. Every single ship component has a physical space it occupies inside the ship, and if a weapon pierces those exact X:Y coordinates where that system is located, it gets damaged or destroyed.

Engines and thruster movement are 100% simulated with physics.

Also, the sense of scale is epic, look at this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho9n0xaC3Gk

No

This is why we have a Topic

To discuss and diseminate information in an efficient manner. Stop derailing and expecting me to go down the rabbit hole with you

I just want to hear you explain it to me like we were having lunch together

Pitch it man

Well what do you want to know exactly?

In terms of an elevator pitch I would say "3 AAA games for 40 USD"

Dr. Kaos

Banned
It's his money. Let him be as stupid as he wishes to.

Kickstarter as a concept is bonkers, but then again I'm not so delusional as to throw money at thoughts of ideas. I don't make enough to be that risky.

Kickstarter for games can be ok. You just have to be very, very cautious about it and approach it like a risky investment.

For instance, I backed Broken Age and I absolutely loved it and loved the enormous documentary that came with it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I backed Might Number 9 (at the minimum amount) and I have no doubt that the final game will be worth those 20 bucks. With that said, I haven't been happy with the lack of documentaries for that one. I believe we were promised 3 of them.

And that's about it. I didn't back anything else.

ElyrionX

Which of those games had thousands of testers giving feedback years before they launched?

What makes you think the people who made those games before did not know what was wrong with their games? They clearly knew what was wrong. They just did not have the management skills to structure the development process to achieve what they wanted to achieve.

Chris Roberts created this company from scratch and it's now a 320-employee behemoth with offices across four countries. That is absolutely insane. I don't work in the industry but I understand businesses and I can't imagine the amount of organizational structures and processes that need to be set up in such a short time frame to finish an ambitious game. At that kind of size, things like internal politics and middle management inefficiencies will be kicking in hard as well.

I am playing Pillars of Eternity now and it is a fantastic game that shows what Kickstarter can do for the industry. But it was created with a 13-man team and the size of the team probably expediated the development process a bit as a lot of organizational bullshit can be reduced.

Top Bottom