• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox Wii U - info dissection and speculation

Pizza

And that's a big reason why I'd hope the game would focus more on "stylish over the top vehicular action" than anything else. And if P* was helping to make that happen, so much the better.

I mean, when you think about how StarFox had a number of Gundam/Macross/etc. homages throughout its history, it always seemed like this series was always just a few steps away from realizing its destiny as a full-blown Japanese mecha anime-based game.

I'd love that so much! Starfox going in a crazy anime direction is exactly the sort of thematic shift the series needs with this semi-reboot

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
but
sin and punishment doesn't have ground controls, it is literally on-rails even on ground
I'd love that so much! Starfox going in a crazy anime direction is exactly the sort of thematic shift the series needs with this semi-reboot

The anime stuff already exists in Assault

I guess my big question is WHY? I played the original Starfox game. Loved it. Eventually when Rogue Squadron and WarHawk came out, I was impressed by where StarFox could eventually go. Even when StarFox adventures came out, I appreciated the potential for an open-world adventure game with spaceships and those characters.

What I don't get is this whole Starfox MUST be on-rails thing? I mean, they designed the old StarFox and figured the rails thing was the best way to push the technology and create a good game around that. Essentially, when it's on rails, we're just getting an amusement park ride...

Isn't Starfox more about the drama/interacting between the furry pilots, the epic boss battles, and the array of interesting environments?
No, to the bolded part.

I like on rails because it allows for awesome sequences like breaking through the enemy line with Great Fox providing backup fire with its enormous guns. Or flying through the innards of a space station in order to blow up its core. You lose that in all range mode.

TreIII

but
sin and punishment doesn't have ground controls, it is literally on-rails even on ground

The anime stuff already exists in Assault

I dunno if I'd consider Assault anime. It always came off more as a "disaster movie...in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE".

Kurt

Would an open world starfox work where you can fly from planet to planet?

Anyway, as i've said before. They could easy add 4player online story mode. In the end starfox was always a game with 4 main characters.

Nerrel

I'm holding out hope that the remote scheme from this game's early Wii development carries over, similarly to how Pikmin 3's Wii remote controls did. Splatoon is not inspiring confidence in gyro aiming for me.

You can't top IR controls for a rail shooter with independent character movement and aiming:
maxresdefault.jpg

It would be very boring to fly around huge, empty spaces without the usual heavily scripted enemy waves to fight through, and I doubt that including randomized enemies wherever you go as a solution would be very compelling.

Starfox is a rail shooter- little to no control over where you're going with incredibly dense and tight level design and meticulously scripted battles. It's kind of the antithesis of open world.

No, to the bolded part.

I like on rails because it allows for awesome sequences like breaking through the enemy line with Great Fox providing backup fire with its enormous guns. Or flying through the innards of a space station in order to blow up its core. You lose that in all range mode.

You just want to damn us to an eternity of The Empire Strikes Back.

Boss Doggie

I don't want them to look like roadkill.

But then again that'd be hilariously relevant - Star Fox corpse moving as they are a dead franchise? lol

I dunno if I'd consider Assault anime. It always came off more as a "disaster movie...in SPAAAAAAAAAAAAACE".

It has some traces of anime stuff, like the whole briefing scenes remind me of SRW, and the whole Wolf / Fox stuff you see from mecha rivals.

@MUWANdo

Banned
going with the blurry off screen images we had from last year, I think we'll see a "New" Star Fox approach, in terms of art-style.
Don't know why, but I think about Other M, when trying to visualize this "NEW" Star Fox game (in terms of art-direction)

They blurred out the images because the prototype graphics were incredibly basic and they didn't want the public to see them and get the wrong idea about how the final game would look.

What I don't get is this whole Starfox MUST be on-rails thing? I mean, they designed the old StarFox and figured the rails thing was the best way to push the technology and create a good game around that. Essentially, when it's on rails, we're just getting an amusement park ride...

Isn't Starfox more about the drama/interacting between the furry pilots, the epic boss battles, and the array of interesting environments?

That's Miyamoto's attitude, essentially--Starfox is just an outlet for him to play play around with the cool cinematic stuff that he can't or doesn't want to apply to his other games, and the form itself isn't really all that important.

Terrell

Yeah, I don't get the aversion to anything to exploring other gameplay variations, either.

"On rails, Arwing only, Final Destination"

That's how ridiculous this has become. Just have faith in Miyamoto to do what he thinks is right for the series, OK guys? And if that means on-foot missions or whatever else, just... just calm down and try to enjoy it, OK?

Yep, it's not canon. Even back with the interview the dev of Command (no not Cutbert, someone else, Immamura I think?) said that Command is not canon and if they were ever going to count it, it'd be at the middle of the game.

And people have kept saying that Nintendo didn't care about Star Fox... seriously, they dodged a bullet, I would have killed my enthusiasm dead for the franchise instantly in Command had been made canon.

This thread has been going back and forth with it but im just gonna chime in again.. if you think this game is gonna be a straight up on rails thing youre gonna be wrong. This is supposed to be the next new big thing for Wii U and for Holiday 15* at that. This aint the snes, n64 days anymore. Cant get away with making a game like that unless its eshop. Just wit until e3 you guys wil see.

cacildo

Yeah, I don't get the aversion to anything to exploring other gameplay variations, either.

"On rails, Arwing only, Final Destination"

That's how ridiculous this has become. Just have faith in Miyamoto to do what he thinks is right for the series, OK guys? And if that means on-foot missions or whatever else, just... just calm down and try to enjoy it, OK?

I really wish it was open world(s), with any kind of vehichle available

"On rails" sucks, people. I know we like star fox 64. I know we like Sin and Punishment. But enough! Im tired of looking at beautiful stages in Mario Kart or Smash bros and not being able to explore em.

Think about it. The only nintendo wiiu game in which you can explore the world freely is Wind Waker.... and soon Xenoblade X

I really wish it was open world(s), with any kind of vehichle available

"On rails" sucks, people. I know we like star fox 64. I know we like Sin and Punishment. But enough! Im tired of looking at beautiful stages in Mario Kart or Smash bros and not being able to explore em.

Think about it. The only nintendo wiiu game in which you can explore the world freely is Wind Waker.... and soon Xenoblade X
Even in Splatoon you look at the backgrounds and frown because you cant go there.

cireza

I don't think that it will be an ambitious game at all. Nintendo has already showed that they are struggling. They don't have the required resources to develop and release many big HD titles.

This is why Yoshi and Kirby are small games. This is why many games were announced at very early stages. This is why Mario Maker, Xenoblade or Splatoon are being focused on so much while we know that they are not system sellers.

I doubt that Nintendo will announce anything ambitious for Wii U. They seem to be pretty much done with this console. They released all the games that were important to make money : Mario 2D + 3D + Kart + Party + Smash Bros + Nintendo Land. They are already focusing on the next console and those same games again. That's how they make profit. Not with games like Starfox, Xenoblade, W101 or Bayonetta.

I don't think that it will be an ambitious game at all. Nintendo has already showed that they are struggling. They don't have the required resources to develop and release many big HD titles.

This is why Yoshi and Kirby are small games. This is why many games were announced at very early stages. This is why Mario Maker, Xenoblade or Splatoon are being focused on so much while we know that they are not system sellers.

I doubt that Nintendo will announce anything ambitious for Wii U. They seem to be pretty much done with this console. They released all the games that were important to make money : Mario 2D + 3D + Kart + Party + Smash Bros + Nintendo Land. They are already focusing on the next console and those same games again. That's how they make profit. Not with games like Starfox, Xenoblade, W101 or Bayonetta.
Splatoon, Xenoblade, and Mario Maker are focus because they are just now out and or not even released yet. Yoshi is a 2D yoshi platforming game that it has always been. Nintendo has already announced some pretty ambitious stuff for the Wii U. Devils Third and FE Illusory are already looking ambitious and I would wait for E3 to see even more from those games and more unannounced ones.

What you said does not really make sense considering what have been announced and e3 being just 2-3 weeks away.

Assault had a really great vision for the series, it just wasn't executed as well as it should have been. I would love to see a Star Fox game that allows players to jump in and out of vehicles in online multiplayer.

I don't think this game will offer that at all, but I'd love to see it.

cireza

What you said does not really make sense considering what have been announced and e3 being just 2-3 weeks away.
When I look back at what was announced last year at E3, they can hardly do worst than that. We will see, but I would not get my hopes up if I were you.

And Nintendo themselves told that they were aiming a smaller budget titles that could be released faster.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
When I look back at what was announced last year at E3, they can hardly do worst than that. We will see, but I would not get my hopes up if I were you.

And Nintendo themselves told that they were aiming a smaller budget titles that could be released faster.

They never said that for Star Fox.

Neff

I honestly don't think they could get away with a low-budget disc-based Star Fox, at least not on Wii U.

As for the on-rails thing, Star Fox to me is one of the best arcade games never made. It epitomises that rollercoaster ride spectacle one associates with 3D arcade titles, and the games which obviously inspired it like Space Harrier and Starblade. For that reason I think it needs to stay short, sweet, and on rails.

But I'm open to new ideas and modes so long as it delivers on that front.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Assault had a really great vision for the series, it just wasn't executed as well as it should have been. I would love to see a Star Fox game that allows players to jump in and out of vehicles in online multiplayer.

I don't think this game will offer that at all, but I'd love to see it.

From what I understand, the developers at Namco had intended for it to be a multiplayer-focused game about jumping in and out of different vehicles but they were forced to retool it into a more singleplayer-focused game after Nintendo lost interest in pushing LAN support and the arcade release.

A Stop-motion look could work. It'd compliment the clay look of Kirby and Yoshi's yarn motif.

It'd have to be something along the lines of Robot Chicken, though. The "animated roadkill" look would never fly.

Anyway, as i've said before. They could easy add 4player online story mode. In the end starfox was always a game with 4 main characters.
It could work great but you'll get the usual push back because "that's not Star Fox." Truth be told, you can do the open world AND still include tight corridor-based segments.

Yep, it's not canon. Even back with the interview the dev of Command (no not Cutbert, someone else, Immamura I think?) said that Command is not canon and if they were ever going to count it, it'd be at the middle of the game.

Yeah, no. In on old IGN interview Cuthbert and Imamura said that the story would start from the middle (whatever that means? Are they just going to rehash the latter half of Command?): http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/09/07/star-fox-command-interview?page=2

I couldn't find any reference anywhere to Command not being canon. While I was searching, though, I came across this shit from a few months back and realized a terrible truth: I'm probably the only person on NeoGAF that likes Command's story unironically. So many complaints about it being like some bad fanfic, but... it's sort of meant to be cheesy, melodramatic, space opera bullshit. You guys know that, right? It was the natural evolution of what came before in Star Fox 64 and Assault.

I mean, besides taking cues from Star Wars, the original was inspired by Thunderbirds, of all things...

Warning: Gritty, realistic space drama up ahead!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vTP1j_rX3g

Thunderbirds!

And, cheesy or not, Star Fox Wii U's story could easily pick up after one of these endings:

starfoxcom2-42.png

starfoxcom6-35.png
starfoxcom6-36.png

Terrell

So many complaints about it being like some bad fanfic, but... it's sort of meant to be cheesy, melodramatic, space opera bullshit. You guys know that, right? It was the natural evolution of what came before in Star Fox 64 and Assault.

No. I can take cheesy space opera bullshit, but the outright melodrama overload in Command just wasn't present in any other Star Fox game.

There are reasons that Command is considered a bad fanfic:

- the team split up, for no explicable reason, just to tell a reunion story
- Fox and Krystal have a 90210-level romance, both apparently abandon their brains for more drama despite it being uncharacteristic
- overpopulation of poorly-written "insert characters" with tertiary importance at best to pad the Star Fox universe and to seemingly represent every animal race in the Lylat system for no apparent reason
- everyone seems to get a love interest in their downtime because... reasons? I guess?
- everyone apparently has kids in several endings to reinforce these romance pairings and ensure everyone knows they're totally having sex guys!

There's cheesy, and then there's sloppy broken garbage. People are complaining that it's the latter and not the former.

I mean, besides taking cues from Star Wars, the original was inspired by Thunderbirds, of all things...

Thunderbirds!

Still better written.

And, cheesy or not, Star Fox Wii U's story could easily pick up after one of these endings:

starfoxcom2-42.png

starfoxcom6-35.png
starfoxcom6-36.png

At this point, it's just easier to disavow that it was ever created in the first place.

Lynd7

Story should be a semi reboot, only game to count is Starfox 64. Characters will no longer age at all, that was a dumb idea.

I'd like a 1950's sci-fi look, complete with faint string's on the crafts etc. Maybe even have a black and white level and things too.

@MUWANdo

Banned
They never said the opposite either.

We have seen an incredibly early prototype one year ago. How could this transform into a big game for this year ?

Miyamoto said he deliberately announced it way earlier than anticipated in order to "encourage" the developers to get it done by E3 of this year.

The bulk of Splatoon's content was made between last E3 and now, apparently.

AntMurda

Miyamoto said he deliberately announced it way earlier than anticipated in order to "encourage" the developers to get it done by E3 of this year.

The bulk of Splatoon's content was made between last E3 and now, apparently.

Nintendo is in a position to announce first party games early because that's all they have driving the system. There are no third party games, period.

Boss Doggie

Yeah, no. In on old IGN interview Cuthbert and Imamura said that the story would start from the middle (whatever that means? Are they just going to rehash the latter half of Command?): http://www.ign.com/articles/2006/09/...terview?page=2

I couldn't find any reference anywhere to Command not being canon. While I was searching, though, I came across this shit from a few months back and realized a terrible truth: I'm probably the only person on NeoGAF that likes Command's story unironically. So many complaints about it being like some bad fanfic, but... it's sort of meant to be cheesy, melodramatic, space opera bullshit. You guys know that, right? It was the natural evolution of what came before in Star Fox 64 and Assault.

Thunderbirds!

starfoxcom2-42.png

starfoxcom6-35.png
starfoxcom6-36.png

That's what I meant by non-canon. They were so wishy-washy from Command that IF they are ever going to count it, they'd start at the middle.

Honestly I'm just turned off by how the characters are handled and how they are designed. And that's not even going to the repetitive gameplay.

Story should be a semi reboot, only game to count is Starfox 64. Characters will no longer age at all, that was a dumb idea.

I'd like a 1950's sci-fi look, complete with faint string's on the crafts etc. Maybe even have a black and white level and things too.

Bullshit, part of what SF makes great is that the characters mature. None of that reboot shit since it reeks of the insecure, unreliable idea that Krystal caused the "badness" of the series.

Shiggy

Nah, Krystal is a must. We finally have to find out what happened to her parents and why Randorn killed them.

omg, we got to the Star Fox Command fanfic part of the speculation cycle

lets go back to talking about open world is terrible idea for Star Fox games

Neff

omg, we got to the Star Fox Command fanfic part of the speculation cycle

lets go back to talking about open world is terrible idea for Star Fox games

This is going to be the first creepy no-longer-innocent furbait franchise Star Fox I buy, isn't it.

Lynd7

That's what I meant by non-canon. They were so wishy-washy from Command that IF they are ever going to count it, they'd start at the middle.

Honestly I'm just turned off by how the characters are handled and how they are designed. And that's not even going to the repetitive gameplay.

Bullshit, part of what SF makes great is that the characters mature. None of that reboot shit since it reeks of the insecure, unreliable idea that Krystal caused the "badness" of the series.

Starfox is not good sci-fi, its a simple space serial style series, not too far away from Star Wars etc. I didn't like how the games started ageing them up a lot each time. I'd prefer them to remain the same look and age and just keep having more adventures.

Just set most of their stories within a closer time gap even.

Terrell

Starfox is not good sci-fi, its a simple space serial style series, not too far away from Star Wars etc. I didn't like how the games started ageing them up a lot each time. I'd prefer them to remain the same look and age and just keep having more adventures.

I'm pretty sure that retiring Peppy from the crew should be the last of it. I was so pissed at Command for getting rid of General Pepper due to illness. I hope he's back and maybe gets a new rank. Admiral Pepper would be awesome.

Lynd7

I'm pretty sure that retiring Peppy from the crew should be the last of it. I was so pissed at Command for getting rid of General Pepper due to illness. I hope he's back and maybe gets a new rank. Admiral Pepper would be awesome.

Yeah this is my main problem, keep the core team together. We don't need complex stories or characters in these games.

Neff

I just found out that Peppy Hare isn't a part of the Star Fox combat team and I'm not happy about this

As far as the characters go, I think retiring Peppy out and putting Krystal in makes a lot of sense - Peppy can fill the old veteran/coach stereotype & role from the Great Fox anyway, and Krystal offers a female heroine to the series, which I think is pretty important.

The rest of it -- I couldn't much stand how serious and in-depth both Assault and Command ended up going. Keep it brief, keep it light, like Star Wars or any other light-hearted space opera.

Boss Doggie

I'd argue about Star Wars not really being a "true" sci-fi like Star Trek. That and the stuff associated with Star Wars to Star Trek are more of common story telling aspects than being Star Wars (i.e. old mentor guy, big evil, etc.)

Also wut, Star Fox is not serial, like at all. It has more ties to various sci fi cliches, particularly Japanese stuff.

Also wouldn't it be ironic if you call them serial yet not them grow? Since serial implies there's progression in time.

As far as the characters go, I think retiring Peppy out and putting Krystal in makes a lot of sense - Peppy can fill the old veteran/coach stereotype & role from the Great Fox anyway, and Krystal offers a female heroine to the series, which I think is pretty important.

The rest of it -- I couldn't much stand how serious and in-depth both Assault and Command ended up going. Keep it brief, keep it light, like Star Wars or any other light-hearted space opera.

Star Wars and "light space opera" don't really mesh well lol

Also people keep bringing Assault. Why? It's easily as light as the other games. It's just your typical Borg story without the drama Borg stories have. I mean, I'd understand it if in the game Fox suddenly became infected, gets cured, and suddenly has a lust for killing Aparoids. But it's just a simple "we must stop this invasion!"

Terrell

Also people keep bringing Assault. Why? It's easily as light as the other games. It's just your typical Borg story without the drama Borg stories have. I mean, I'd understand it if in the game Fox suddenly became infected, gets cured, and suddenly has a lust for killing Aparoids. But it's just a simple "we must stop this invasion!"

There were a few moments where it ventured WAY too far into anime cliches. Like the Corneria invasion scene with General Pepper which dragged on FAR too long, and the whole thing with Wolf's hatred of Fox melting away to full-on tsundere attitude for him at the Aparoid homeworld.

But overall, it wasn't overtly different from any Star Fox before it story-wise.

Boss Doggie

There were a few moments where it ventured WAY too far into anime cliches. Like the Corneria invasion scene with General Pepper which dragged on FAR too long, and the whole thing with Wolf's hatred of Fox melting away to full-on tsundere attitude for him at the Aparoid homeworld.

But overall, it wasn't overtly different from any Star Fox before it story-wise.

Mecha cliches :p

And even 64 has that.

Besides, tsun-tsun Wolf is cute.

Kurt

I hope it's the same style as starfox 64.
Most levels onrail, some of them free range mode.

Online multiplay (3ds version was fun)
Online co-op (doubt that)

Music should be handled well.

Top Bottom