• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean Material Trader announced

There hasn't been a good Star Ocean game since SO2, so this doesn't hurt as much as it could...but it still stings.

Is it bad that sometimes I kind of wish I could fly over to Japan and break every single cell phone in the country so developers would be forced to start making meaningful things again?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
7pgjTi5.png

They've all gone to 3DS/Vita but yeah, I know what you mean. The PS2 era was indeed amazing for JRPGs.

There really aren't even that many good JRPGs on the handhelds either. The handhelds have sheer numbers, yes, but most handheld RPGs are gimped or nerfed nostalgia factories that don't even come close to eclipsing their console counterparts from last gen.

It's a goddamn shame.

Parfait

Replaying Star Ocean 4 in protest

I've been meaning to plat this baby anyway.

Man whoever the cutscene animator/director needs to get fired, i think that's my only big complaint with the game. Because damn.

Replaying Star Ocean 4 in protest

I've been meaning to plat this baby anyway.

Man whoever the cutscene animator/director needs to get fired, i think that's my only big complaint with the game. Because damn.

They should ditch the writer while they're at it. Keep that pseudo-eroge nonsense out of our RPGs.

Parfait

They should ditch the writer while they're at it. Keep that pseudo-eroge nonsense out of our RPGs.

It was fine, it's an anime game after all, roll with it. Those shower PA would have been 10x funnier if it was actually acted well, but hey.

But a lot of the cutscenes looked awkward because of how the characters moved, and how their faces looked. I just couldn't take them seriously at all. Oddly I think even SO3 was better in this regard, but I don't remember SO3 very well. I should replay that sometime soon.

oddigy

Oh damnit.

Is it awful that I want to play it in English? I love the series so much. I would of course prefer a new console entry. Maybe it's not out of the question that we'll still get one someday.

It's like people never played SO3!

The worst part about SO3 was that it also destroyed Valkyrie Profile at pretty much the same time, since SO3 pretty strongly insinuated (and actually downright stated at one point) that VP and Star Ocean take place in the same universe.

So the SO3 plot twist also neutralized Valkyrie Profile as well.

I didn't really enjoy SO2, although that's most likely because I played the PSP version of SO1 right before it and that meant I was basically playing the same game again but with a worse story and characters.

Talents

Banned
God dammit. Just the other day I was playing Star Ocean and wishing they'd make another game. When I saw this thread I was about to get so hyped, and then I saw the card game bit...

There hasn't been a good Star Ocean game since SO2, so this doesn't hurt as much as it could...but it still stings.

Is it bad that sometimes I kind of wish I could fly over to Japan and break every single cell phone in the country so developers would be forced to start making meaningful things again?

Geez, what do you qualify as a "Good game" because despite the voice acting and dialogue of Star Ocean 4, I thought the gameplay was fantastic. Great combat, good exploration aspects, epic long boss fights, solid creation system. I mean what did you want from the game? Do you need solid story and writing to enjoy a game? I didn't realize Story > Gameplay

I couldnt care less about how annoying the characters could at times get because when i actually PLAYED as them, it was enjoyable.

Zaventem

I don't get the so4 hate. The battle system was amazing and the game had a shit load of content. It's the VA an main characters that should be hated on.

Minyobi

Oh my God.
Star Ocean is one of those rare franchises that I would 100 percent accept a massive reboot by any other developer.

Any.

After Star Ocean 4, it can't get any worse.

In a sense this series is almost more disappointing not for losing what was, but for what could have been. 3 and 4 are good games, but have well known story issues that go beyond mediocrity to distract from the quality of the overall product. I would really like to see a 5, especially since I like the Sci Fi element (even if it isn't as pronounced as I would like it to be), but it could very well end up as silly as 3 or 4. 2 isn't really some masterwork. It's a fairly basic JRPG storyline with some less than common Sci Fi elements, wonderful music, and a fun, if a bit messy, battle system. There are just so few quality JRPGs these days that another 2 at this point would be a godsend.

Stimpack

Star Ocean 3* was garbage compared to the first two. Absolute garbage. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like JRPGs in general have taken a huge shift. I remember they used to be filled with drunks, cursing, and some pretty dark stuff. Nowadays it's all rainbows, sunshine, and very feminine male protagonists.

There might be enough people out there who eat it up, but I'm not on board. Bring back Chrono Trigger, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, Star Ocean 1-2, Secret of Mana, FFVII-VIII, Super Mario RPG, Sword of Vermilion, Vagrant Story, Lunar. The list goes on and on and on. It's not like it once was. I used to really be into JRPGs, and now I can hardly stand them at all.

*Whoops, I'm sorry, Star Ocean 3 actually wasn't terrible. It's Star Ocean 4 that I was thinking of. Now that game was a damned piece of garbage. I think the last JRPG I thought was decent had to be Infinite Undiscovery, though, and even it was nothing like they used to be.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Star Ocean 3* was garbage compared to the first two. Absolute garbage. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like JRPGs in general have taken a huge shift. I remember they used to be filled with drunks, cursing, and some pretty dark stuff. Nowadays it's all rainbows, sunshine, and very feminine male protagonists.

There might be enough people out there who eat it up, but I'm not on board. Bring back Chrono Trigger, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, Star Ocean 1-2, Secret of Mana, FFVII-VIII, Super Mario RPG, Sword of Vermilion, Vagrant Story, Lunar. The list goes on and on and on. It's not like it once was. I used to really be into JRPGs, and now I can hardly stand them at all.

*Whoops, I'm sorry, Star Ocean 3 actually wasn't terrible. It's Star Ocean 4 that I was thinking of. Now that game was a damned piece of garbage. I think the last JRPG I thought was decent had to be Infinite Undiscovery, though, and even it was nothing like they used to be.

I was about to hit you with a sack of bricks :p

Seriously, SO3 gave birth to team VP2. Which then made RoF.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, I was waiting for the death knell of one of my favorite game series of all time (seriously, there are so few games on SO2's level), and it looks like this is it. Guess we are never getting that tri-Ace tech to come to fruition :(

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The IP is ripe for a serious reboot. Serious scenario writer with an already great battle system. Maybe bring the item creation system back to the SO2 style with eclectic skills instead if just pure item creation.

Bladenic

This series was always shit. Besides gameplay (which is merely average) and music, the series is a giant ball of missed potential. Oh hey, a sci-fi JRPG series!!! Oh jk, here, hang out for dozens and dozens of hours on planets that look exactly like every other medieval RPG out there.

Like someone else in this thread said, hand this IP to LITERALLY ANY OTHER DEVELOPER because Tri-Ace is more shit now that they ever were before (and they were never great).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I got excited when I saw Star Ocean.......bastards.

Well, I was waiting for the death knell of one of my favorite game series of all time (seriously, there are so few games on SO2's level), and it looks like this is it. Guess we are never getting that tri-Ace tech to come to fruition :(

Not with the tech gurus of tri-Ace abandoning ship. So much for that chestnut of lack of tech savvy being the death of devs over there (atop a pile of other evidence).

This series was always shit. Besides gameplay (which is merely average) and music, the series is a giant ball of missed potential. Oh hey, a sci-fi JRPG series!!! Oh jk, here, hang out for dozens and dozens of hours on planets that look exactly like every other medieval RPG out there.

Like someone else in this thread said, hand this IP to LITERALLY ANY OTHER DEVELOPER because Tri-Ace is more shit now that they ever were before (and they were never great).

SO2 was one of the broadest, deepest, and most ambitious RPGs ever attempted on consoles natively (especially now with console WRPGs largely abandoning both the PC and their heritage strengths showing up on the scene).

That, and I'm not sure where you'd take it; I mean, would their engine go along with them? And who would do it justice (for the first time ever if that's your take)?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

lol the game was never touted to be pure sci fi. The whole game is about being stuck in some backwards planet.

With that said, only pre-SO3 Star Ocean have average battle system. SO3 is the best (I consider its battle system superior to SO4's blinking) because of its numerous and complex stuff despite the simple idea. Hell, at least SO3 made an effort to add scifi stuff.

isual

iirc the reason i stopped playing so3 was because I couldn't beat lenneth in the bonus dungeon . she was just far too OP . I had the best weapon leavatenn, but I screwed up on the synthesis so I gave up .

Top Bottom