• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (PS4) |OT| Wait, whaaaaat? You're kidding, right...

Mudo

So, dicking about reading through the Dictionary and damn is there a lot of reference text in this, like, I kn there was but to be reminded of such. There is so much on forces and places we never, ever visit in this series, like
Greeton or the Aldian Empire
, and it reminded me of one of the reasons why I loved this game. IT presents these other forces and entities that aren't simply older game references, they are just other political entities that exist, because of course they do and even through they are powerful and negatively influential to our cast, they're just... there. No foreshadowing to an inevitable introduction like you would get in a lot of other RPGs, wherein if a place or force is mentioned, it will certainly make an appearance in the plot. Here, they're just there.

Also, by exhausting all dictionary prompts by the time I reached Kirsla,
I - or Fayt if we're assuming he's reading this - is now fully aware of ALL political background of Elicoor, to the extent even Nel knows less, and is fully aware of who Maria, lol

Considering how the game gives you Fayt and Cliff, who are each amongst the easiest to control a battle with given their cancel bonus moves, I always dumped a lot into the party's HP/MP to begin with, as they'd do little more than draw attention whilst you chop away at any enemy with decent HP. I wouldn't worry too much about Attack and Defence until you can start really rotating the cast. That's by no means the de facto strategy btw, just what always helped me on the harder difficulties.

Thanks for the tip!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Question: I read up a lot on the NPC AI and how to distribute between HP/MP/Attack/Defense. I did not find a consensus. Is it safe or a good idea to initially level Attack and Defense (alternating) until I get to level 4 and then start focusing on MP/HP? Or do I go further than that with them or something totally different????

Attack Defense refers to how AI uses AAA/cancelling. The character you control the most is benefited more with HP/MP first.

Speaking of which, to this day I never understood the weird "Speaking of Squalls" line in the dictionary entry. Is it hinting Squall Leonheart?

itschris

anybody notice a weird frameskipping/stuttering when running around towns or maps?

Yeah, I've noticed a bit of stuttering, but it doesn't happen everywhere; it's confined to certain sections of certain areas (regular PS4 here, does boost mode work with PS2 games?).

EDIT: To be clear, I have the NA version.

BigEmil

anybody notice a weird frameskipping/stuttering when running around towns or maps?
You bought it from EU store PAL version?
It could be running at 50hz, some PAL version have been patched to 60hz later I think that could be because those maybe had an option in the games settings for a 60hz mode

SkylineRKR

PAL version feels like 50fps or something. It has constant frameskip and is never smooth. It looks and plays fine and I don't mind it that much for old games like this but I'd get the NTSC version unless that runs just as shit.

Boss Doggie

what were the PAL issues? I got the game in NTSC so I don't know what problems they had on the other version

SkylineRKR

what were the PAL issues? I got the game in NTSC so I don't know what problems they had on the other version

PAL itself. No 60hz option on PS2 version. borders and 17% slower gameplay.

The PS4 version is full screen and tries to be as fast as NTSC but it seems it goes with frames skipping. If I were Sony i'd just upload NTSC roms but okay.

rulerk1

I'm at pesotto forest but my battle trophies won't activate. I'm playing Galaxy mode how do I activate them?
Edit: nvrmind I got it working :)rather obtuse tbh

Unlocked crafting finally and the first thing I do? Invent a piece of armor that dramatically increases my DEF way past anything I can currently buy.

Blessed. Can't wait to break this game wide open with crafting AGAIN!

cwistofu

Unlocked crafting finally and the first thing I do? Invent a piece of armor that dramatically increases my DEF way past anything I can currently buy.

I remember spending SO much time grinding orichalcum or whatever that is

Fisty

Just a reminder/heads-up to everyone playing, when you get to the save point in Duggus Forest you should have already met a character named Roger. If you didn't meet him, go back and find him in the forest before you proceed to the next story boss. You will miss him and an optional boss fight if you don't do it now.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
SO3 in an image

4ueeSw1.png

. . . Triggered.

Atlantis

Make sure you create the Damask Gauntlets for Cliff!

Fisty

Guys is it possible to clear an area of enemies or do they just resplendent after a certain one period

If you leave the screen/area you are in, the enemies will respawn. Kind of annoying for clearing areas, but it's great when you are farming.

FinalAres

I've got such special memories of buying this game, but I barely played it.

The marketing really hit me, and I was so excited. But I think imet a bad guy with blonde black hair and stopped.

Can't wait to finally finish it.

Been a busy weekend so I didn't manage to get past Arias. I have to hand it to Tri-Ace on this, the amount of flavour text available to Fayt as he wanders around town never ceases to astound me, moreso after playing Persona 5 that has a similar quirk to it. Every little sign in a shop has something to world-build on, particularly the merchant in Kirlsa who is all about that muscle.

Boss Doggie

Been a busy weekend so I didn't manage to get past Arias. I have to hand it to Tri-Ace on this, the amount of flavour text available to Fayt as he wanders around town never ceases to astound me, moreso after playing Persona 5 that has a similar quirk to it. Every little sign in a shop has something to world-build on, particularly the merchant in Kirlsa who is all about that muscle.

go read the dictionary, as well as various items in the game like books (even has a mini-story of sorts that retells SO2 with their original names)

go read the dictionary, as well as various items in the game like books (even has a mini-story of sorts that retells SO2 with their original names)

Already binged the dictionary, every houses' book shelf is a little window to the resident's life. I particularly liked the ousted nobles in Airyglyph who were kicked out of court by the king, as their reading material is trash about manipulating underlings and such. Also, Reena and her elder sister (the weapon dealer in Kirsla) just...having their own little fairy tale written out was charming too.

Boss Doggie

Already binged the dictionary, every houses' book shelf is a little window to the resident's life. I particularly liked the ousted nobles in Airyglyph who were kicked out of court by the king, as their reading material is trash about manipulating underlings and such. Also, Reena and her elder sister (the weapon dealer in Kirsla) just...having their own little fairy tale written out was charming too.

Yeah, it's that stuff I miss in later SO games, I think SO2 didn't have as much in-game lore too.

And then there's that certain black commander's books.

Fisty

There is SOOOO much missable stuff in this game.... im using a Gamefaqs walkthrough, a Battle Trophy faq, AND the official strategy guide, but I still have a sneaking suspicion I've missed something important. Just got the Ring of Disintegration, so it's backtracking for today it looks like

Fisty

Anyone know the best place to grind EXP before the Crosell fight? Ancient book 4 is proving to be a pain in the ass ln the lower Mosel Ruins

Dice//

Banned
Anyone know the best place to grind EXP before the Crosell fight? Ancient book 4 is proving to be a pain in the ass ln the lower Mosel Ruins

The game basically requires you to be doing some item/equip synthing by this point or Crossel is real tough.

Got some synth kits?

...I spent the entire day rediscovering the contempt I sometimes had for this game... but I did it...

I am armed to the teeth with Orichalcum... fuck my life.

Why is the intro (when you start the game) unskippable?

Are you using the right half of the touchpad? That is the 'start' button for the emulation, not 'option' that occupies the spot 'start' typically has on all PS controllers. The left half of the touchpad is 'select' too.

Fisty

the ruins itself has good exp

The game basically requires you to be doing some item/equip synthing by this point or Crossel is real tough.

Got some synth kits?

Thanks for the replies, yeah looks like synth was the way to go. Gave Fayt and Cliff ATK +2000 and finally spent my stat points on HP. Going for that ancient book in Mosel is definitely a tough journey at that point, and that Spirit Trio gave me some issues. Did manage to grab the book and both the battle trophies for each of the bosses. After that I just ended up crafting 5 Rings of Erudition refined and synthesized, so double base XP and spent like an hour grinding on that huge lobster in the Mosel basement. Made it from 40 to 52 in no time at all, and I might continue for awhile.

Anyone else get this weird thing when making the Potion of Youth (Fake) where the cost is 4 but each completed line actually costs 6000-11000 fol? I lost like 100k before I figured out what was going on, was kinda pissed. Seems like an emulation glitch, I don't remember that on PS2

XJF

I'm about to head into
Kaddan
, are the Airyglyph weapons still the best available, Holy Sword, etc...?

Boss Doggie

I'm about to head into
Kaddan
, are the Airyglyph weapons still the best available, Holy Sword, etc...?

that's the part after the dragon mines yes? they're useful, but you could also craft orichalcum to synth

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So is this emulation good, seems really popular on here.
Enjoyed it on the PS2

So, cooled off on this game for a bit, is anyone else having trouble with the Dragon flute commands? They were a pain back in the day but I swear my Dualshock 4 cannot input more than two of the commands.

Edit: My bad, didn't know you had to hold L2 to trigger 'hard' presses for Dualshock 4. That's way better than the crap in the original version.

Boss Doggie

Which breaks the entire game. Crafting a few Orichalcum onto even the Metal Rod will trivialize the rest of the game.

In a way the bought equipment are serviceable up until you reach Sphere. Then iirc they're gonna be outclassed unless you did the store owner duo sidequest.

Which breaks the entire game. Crafting a few Orichalcum onto even the Metal Rod will trivialize the rest of the game.

Well, most of the game. By the time you're into the final act, the bosses will still be chewing up the damage you're giving them if you're playing on Galaxy or higher. Also, Orichalcum is by and large the entry point into what the player can accomplish through synthesis. Once Gemity becomes accessible, there are plenty more options for crafting god-like weapons (fitting, given what you're fighting against at that point). Also, any and all of the post-game stuff will laugh at you by that point.

Synthesis can trivialise a lot of the boss fights, but it is an essential skill once you go for the hidden stuff.

Fisty

Platinum achieved! 4D was a hell of a playthrough, you really have to cheese basically everything solo for the first 2/3 of the game, and some of those end game mobs are ballbusters. If there's more than one enemy and you get hit, you might as well restart because you will be stunlocked to death.

Still managed to solo the final boss on 4D with a lvl 1 Sophia though. Thank you stun bombs.

Top Bottom