• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

Footage of the USS Discovery bridge was released.

gUv2SXd.gif

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/908770175314419712

https://streamable.com/s0qlq

I hope they don't do that thing that Voyager and Enterprise did where in emergency situations the lights on the bridge dimmed.

"Go to red alert! Turn off a lot of the lights so its difficult to see!"

That never made sense.

Pluto

I hope they don't do that thing that Voyager and Enterprise did where in emergency situations the lights on the bridge dimmed.

"Go to red alert! Turn off a lot of the lights so its difficult to see!"

That never made sense.
How does it not make sense? It makes the illuminated control panels more visible and I thought real life navy ships switch to red lights instead of a brightly lit room in emergency situations too.

TDLink

Wait, wasn't everyone saying the show would be shit because h left the project? Now he gets credit?

I love Fuller but lmao.

Fuller was still heavily involved with the pilot. The direction of the show changed after he left in that it is now intended to be -this- crew ongoing for the entirety of the show rather than doing each season as a separate anthology in a different time with a different crew and different cast.

How does it not make sense? It makes the illuminated control panels more visible and I thought real life navy ships switch to red lights instead of a brightly lit room in emergency situations too.

It doesn't make sense to me because in an emergency situation you'd have people moving around (more so if something dangerous happens), and reducing visibility could cause accidents. If it really works, fine, but in a room with steps and frequent shaking it seems like it might accidentally cause injuries.

Pluto

You are absolutely not correct. The premiere episodes are literally written by him.
But him getting a writer's credit doesn't mean things weren't changed and parts rewritten after he left. If the series changed direction they'd obviously change Fuller's episodes to fit that new direction.

But I don't really care who wrote what, all I want is the show to be good and somfarmit seems to be very good.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
It doesn't make sense to me because in an emergency situation you'd have people moving around (more so if something dangerous happens), and reducing visibility could cause accidents. If it really works, fine, but in a room with steps and frequent shaking it seems like it might accidentally cause injuries.

Your forgetting that in this timeline Starfleet engineers still haven't invented seat belts (unless they retcon that too /s). Dim lighting is going to be the least of the safety concerns for the bridge crew.

TdiNWTP.gif

The Independent put a piece out today that they should have asked for clarification on a single point because hey, who is Avery Brooks anyway?

“So having me as the first black lead of a Star Trek, just blasts that into a million pieces. I am eternally grateful that the diverse casting of our show means that we are now a part of the conversation and hopefully a part of making the world a better place, as cliché as this sounds. Because I really believe it and think its vital for us all right now,” she says the spectre of Trump lurking unspoken.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-the-walking-dead-michelle-yeoh-a7954196.html

Awesome that a black female is the lead of a Star Trek but please let’s not forget so easily that Avery Brooks was a black commander, then Captain for seven years on Star Trek and we were lucky to have him. It’s concerning how readily people ditch DS9 and Avery’s contribution to equal representation.

Far Beyond the Stars - one of the best episodes from classic Trek canon ever - would never have worked as well with any other character. Also they call her the first
black female captain
- I’m guessing this is a first episode spoiler so go in red alert.

Fuller was still heavily involved with the pilot. The direction of the show changed after he left in that it is now intended to be -this- crew ongoing for the entirety of the show rather than doing each season as a separate anthology in a different time with a different crew and different cast.
Thank god. I love Fuller, but wasn't really sold on the idea of an anthology series. I enjoy getting to know and becoming attached to the characters on a show over time.

Your forgetting that in this timeline Starfleet engineers still haven't invented seat belts (unless they retcon that too /s). Dim lighting is going to be the least of the safety concerns for the bridge crew.

TdiNWTP.gif

I love how that third guy eventually falls down like he was hanging off the wall or something.

Effect

Really glad the impressions from last night are positive. By accounts from those that did post impressions it does seem like the CBS was indeed worried about spoilers based on the talk about twist. Sadly this isn't going to stop some of the negativity. There are those that will continue no matter what. The show could be a hit and maybe win awards and it would still continue with some people.

Super looking forward to Sunday. Was trying to decide how I would watch. Either via all access or on CBS proper but I think I'll do both just to add to the ratings. Have the TV on in the background and watching both episodes on my computer. I should check though to see if the PS3 has the app though. Don't have a PS4 or XBO yet and the Switch/Wii U is no help in this regard.

I'm assuming whatever twist this is will be fairly obvious to people who have following production from the start? Or could it be something else?

@JacksonLanzing
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY is DS9 reborn, with emotion, intelligence and new science fiction concepts to spare. I am thrilled.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

This would be my first Star Trek series. Only seen a handful of TNG episodes and the most recent three movies.

Would I be making a mistake by watching this without any real context?

Morts

This would be my first Star Trek series. Only seen a handful of TNG episodes and the most recent three movies.

You've probably got enough of the basics. Just know it's a few years before Kirk gets the Enterprise.

Actually... how long did Pike/April have the Enterprise before Kirk? Could the original Enterprise show up in this?

no. You should be able to start at episode one of any Star Trek show and be okay. If you couldn't, that means the show runners seriously botched their job.

You don't need to know shit about Star Trek in order to enjoy Star Trek.

DBT85

Naa. They'll explain everything as if everyone has never seen Trek before anyway, and if they don't there's plenty of us here to fill in the blanks!

You've probably got enough of the basics. Just know it's a few years before Kirk gets the Enterprise.

Actually... how long did Pike/April have the Enterprise before Kirk? Could the original Enterprise show up in this?

100% it will. They are going to use so many call-backs by the end of this series, assuming it makes it past the first or second season. We'll see young Scotty, possibly young Kirk (or Kirk's dad), etc.

no. You should be able to start at episode one of any Star Trek show and be okay. If you couldn't, that means the show runners seriously botched their job.

You don't need to know shit about Star Trek in order to enjoy Star Trek.

I would suggest that you shouldn't even have to start at episode one of any Trek but I guess that changed with the later seasons of DS9 and Discovery seems like a show that requires you to start at the beginning.

I look forward to the season 5 episode that features a dumbass Star Fleet uniform designer who decides to go from the current uniforms to the TOS design.

That should be a classic.

watership

Sure. I know a bunch of people who watched a Trek series as their first.

You can always go back. But if the concept is similar, you'll find the first you watch with an emotional "best". Even tho everyone knows DS9 is still the best. :)

antispin

COMPARISONS TO DS9!?!?!!!! WTF. I SHALL NOT BE HYPED!

FWIW, saw the extended (?) trailer on Netflix. Did not think much of it. But of course I'll see it! Duh.

Yes, you should probably cram in all previous six series and 13 movies in the next few days just to be on the safe side.

:p

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I wonder what happens if this is critically acclaimed but pirated out the ass due to people not wanting to bother with CBS' nonsense. Would be a shame if that leads to cancellation instead of moving it to an actual network.

EiL6l78.png

https://twitter.com/NanaVisitor/status/910498480459702277

Actor who played Kira Nerys in DS9 for those unaware.

I'm really hoping ST:D (lets just call it DIS from now on...) does well because I feel this is the only chance we will get Trek as a series back on and bring in a new generation of fans so we can continue this franchise in the way its intended. Trek "ended" at the end of the 90s with the finale of Voyager and we haven't had any since, Enterprise was a total failure and never finished, this has to do well for the sake of the franchise in this medium.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
EiL6l78.png

https://twitter.com/NanaVisitor/status/910498480459702277

Actor who played Kira Nerys in DS9 for those unaware.

I'm really hoping ST:D (lets just call it DIS from now on...) does well because I feel this is the only chance we will get Trek as a series back on and bring in a new generation of fans so we can continue this franchise in the way its intended. Trek ended at the end of the 90s with the finale of Voyager, Enterprise was a total failure and never finished, this has to do well for the sake of the franchise in this medium.

Yeah I hear ya. I don't even like Star Trek much (I've never watched anything beyond bits and pieces of TNG and Voyager) but I think it's good for the genre in general for there to be a successful Trek show on TV. It would be a waste for a universe full of decades of development and lore to just sort of fizzle out.

Anoregon

Well I mean, duh. The percentage of people who actually pay for the dumb CBS thing to watch this instead of immediately pirating it is going to be laughable. I would hope this would lead CBS to realize it would be in their best interest to then move the show to their actual network instead of canceling it, but that is just peasant logic thinking. I aint no TV big shot.

Mudcrab

@JacksonLanzing
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY is DS9 reborn, with emotion, intelligence and new science fiction concepts to spare. I am thrilled.

It sounds like this dude is intentionally trying to hurt me by setting my expectations that damn high.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Huh, this is getting really great early impressions. I did not find the trailers particularly engaging personally, and from them I expected a middling reception for this, but it now seems like the trailers might just have been terrible and not indicative of the actual show?

My hype levels have gone from mildly curious to cautiously optimistic.

I'm going to end up loving the Pilot, and end up subscribing aren't I?

I am glad a lot of the early impressions are coming out with strong positive response.

They found a way to get them on Enterprise.

I don't know though. The Borg doesn't look like a fit for what they are doing here.

If this show does well, I doubt this would be the last Trek show we'll see. It's amazing The Borg haven't been utilised more lately since they are probably just as popular as Klingons to the mainstream.

aceface

Adam Pranica, one of the guys who does The Greatest Generation podcast (which is hilarious btw, well worth checking out.) was at the premier and said this:

Here are some embargo-friendly Star Trek Discovery thoughts after attending the premiere last night:
The show felt right at home in a movie theater; it is frame-fillingly cinematic, big, loud & fun! The first 2 eps contain the ingredients that the good Star Trek movies (and shows) have had. I know it's not saying much, but it's almost certainly the best first episode of any Trek series.
Rather than feeling obligatory and cynical, the show feels necessary and fresh.
I'm excited to see more, and to talk about it with Ben!

They are going do some special shows reviewing the new series every week.

Top Bottom