• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

Is it premiering on non-US Netflix at the same time as on CBS and it's All Access thing? Or do we have to wait a week like with Designated Survivor?

EDIT: Nevermind, just read that it will be available 24 hours after All Access. Booo.
Designated Survivor is next day here in the UK, just like Better Call Saul and now Discovery.

Joeytj

Banned
A few hours later. Someone on the Star Trek reddit said that support told him 12am PST on the 25th is when the episode would go live on Netflix.

https://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/719xaa/netflix_support_informed_me_that_discovery_should/

Hmmm. I'm on PST, but waiting until 12am for an hour-long episode is tricky, even for a night owl like me.

It's also something I'll want to watch with my boyfriend, who stops the binge watching at midnight (except on weekends).

berzeli

Banned
I don't think anyone has volunteered to do an OT...

Like I can do one, but there is a non zero chance I get annoyed and end up doing it like I did the Orville one I did. I mean, it will be a struggle to find a more disturbing picture to end on compared to that one but I'll try dammit, there has to be some illustrated slashfiction right?
But if no one else steps up I can. (I can also make nicer OTs, occasionally)

Also the New York Times has a pretty nice article up:

On ‘Star Trek: Discovery,’ a Franchise Boldly Goes Into the Serial TV Era
As he and his colleagues have worked on “Discovery,” Mr. Kurtzman said they have asked themselves: “How do you honor the optimism and hope of ‘Star Trek,’ while also reflecting a brutal time? That is a reason to make a television show.”

Mr. Kurtzman, a writer and producer of the 2009 “Star Trek” film reboot and its 2013 sequel “Star Trek Into Darkness,” was first approached by CBS a few years ago about creating a new “Star Trek” TV series.

Mr. Kurtzman, whose other TV credits include “Fringe,” “Sleepy Hollow” and “Hawaii Five-0,” was initially hesitant. To him and to millions of fans, “Star Trek” is a sacred institution, whose patient storytelling and progressive outlook have endured for more than 50 years while spawning numerous imitators.

“The only reason to do a new ‘Trek’ television show is if you have something really new to say,” Mr. Kurtzman said.
It also details some of the struggles bringing this to the screen

Kevin

If everyone is cool with it, I'd like to take a stab at making the official thread for this and also helping to keep everyone up to date on big Star Trek Discovey news as it unfolds.

Can have it up within the next six hours.

berzeli

Banned
If everyone is cool with it, I'd like to take a stab at making the official thread for this and also helping to keep everyone up to date on big Star Trek Discovey news as it unfolds.

Can have it up within the next six hours.
I uh kind of sort of got started, because it didn't look like anyone was going to step up and I have insomnia so it's not like I was doing anything else.
But it would not go up within the next six hours since I badly need to go to sleep right now.

I'll send you a PM with what I thought of doing.

I was going to offer to do the OT, but looks like someone's already going for it. :)

Looks aside, what possible sense would it make to have a saucer in two pieces like that? Connected by 4 tiny spokes, no less.

I mean, I know the Doylist reason for it: They've added the middle cutout to have more windows. It makes the Discovery look livelier and bigger.
It may even be the in-universe reason, but clearly it's not practical since every Federation ship design that ever comes after this one doesn't have cutouts in the saucer, so...

Kevin

Do we know what the episode lengths are going to be? I thought the premiere was suppose to be movie length (even heard the budget was like 25 million or something for the premiere) but the CBS listing has it in like an hour and 5 minute block and that's presumably with the normal amount of tv ads so now I'm confused...

The description from the Australian Netflix of the show seems like it lets on to a potentially big spoiler?

https://i.imgur.com/RqhGWzl.jpg

Do we know what the episode lengths are going to be? I thought the premiere was suppose to be movie length (even heard the budget was like 25 million or something for the premiere) but the CBS listing has it in like an hour and 5 minute block and that's presumably with the normal amount of tv ads so now I'm confused...

The second episode of the two parter is not airing on CBS proper, so they would only list the premiere.

42 for the pilot and presumably 42 for 102 would be something like 84 minutes. My guess is they need the keep the episodes reasonably close to normal air time because it's still airing over the air in Canada.

Kevin

UPDATE: Tried CBS All-Access on my PS4 and it looks like proper 1080p. Not sure what the issue was with the web browser streaming but the actual app works pretty well.

Wanted to let you guys know. I was wrong about the video quality. There is a one werk free trial if anyone wants to try it for episode 2 of the show this Sunday.

The description from the Australian Netflix of the show seems like it lets on to a potentially big spoiler?

https://i.imgur.com/RqhGWzl.jpg

The second episode of the two parter is not airing on CBS proper, so they would only list the premiere.

42 for the pilot and presumably 42 for 102 would be something like 84 minutes. My guess is they need the keep the episodes reasonably close to normal air time because it's still airing over the air in Canada.
Nah. That’s not a spoiler it’s bwsically what they’ve been saying in interviews since SDCC

DBT85

It might be 65 mins of show with ads filling the rest. Most hour slot shows are only 42 minutes. So 65ish fits a 90 minute slot.

sammex

I signed up for the free CBS All-Access week and man the video quality is barely even watchable. Like it looks a lot worse then DVD. As much as I want to watch this show... yeah I can't in good conscious support this. It's not even 480p. Does anyone know if there is any options to increase the video quality? I couldn't find any. Like I'm not sure how they expect people to watch Star Trek in this quality. Even the faces are very pixelated. In case anyone asks, I have a 60mb connection and can stream 4K videos from Netflix and YouTube.

Also for Chrome users... yeah no go. As soon as I tried to sign up and I clicked the button I was immediately bounced to the Google page. What hot garbage! Potato video quality~

If anyone else has any feedback to offer, please do!

EDIT: Here is a picture of the quality. The image is 4K size as that is what my monitor is but you can see how bad the quality is though:

https://imgur.com/a/jdwAF

If they are going to try to charge people for this show then they could have at LEAST supported 1080p. I also emailed them to see if there was any way to increase the video quality and told them that I won't be supporting All-Access if the answer is no. 1080p should have been the minimal. I'm not even sure this is DVD quality.

Wow that's really bad. I wonder how they'll cope with spikes in traffic too as a new episode releases.

Effect

Hope support gets back to you Kevin. Been messing around with the app on my computer myself and its been okay. I have noticed that unlike Netflix stuff doesn't take a moment to buffer. It will play instantly and then after 5 or 10 seconds the quality will change and becomes HD. So I guess it is buffering but doing it as the shows plays and instead of before. Same happens if something plays in the browser (was checking out Zoo which looks pretty interesting. I might start watching this.). That's annoying to be honest and I wish it wouldn't do that. The only reason I'm not more annoyed by it is because most shows don't start the very first second. There is usually something else showing up in those first few seconds, an opening or logo, a recap, etc and if that's in SD then so be it.

I have not been able to tell if the quality is 720p or 1080p though. I have issues with that in general. I've tried to look at the trailers for Discovery on the app and in youtube. The stuff on youtube all appears to be 720p and looks the same as the app versions. Maybe that's where CBSAA maxes out in order to make sure there are no connection issues for people if they get a large spike? The stuff on CBS looks clear enough that I know it's HD and not SD. That's good enough for me because I tend to force Netflix to not be HD a lot of the time because of bandwidth and I rather have shows or movies play continuously instead having an issue and buffering in the middle of the playback.

I do buy blurays so when I want the best quality I go with those in the end. So even if I stream Discovery there is a good chance I'll still be picking that up if I ended up liking it overall.

mcrommert

Banned
Also the New York Times has a pretty nice article up:

On ‘Star Trek: Discovery,' a Franchise Boldly Goes Into the Serial TV Era

As he and his colleagues have worked on ”Discovery," Mr. Kurtzman said they have asked themselves: ”How do you honor the optimism and hope of ‘Star Trek,' while also reflecting a brutal time? That is a reason to make a television show."

Mr. Kurtzman, a writer and producer of the 2009 ”Star Trek" film reboot and its 2013 sequel ”Star Trek Into Darkness," was first approached by CBS a few years ago about creating a new ”Star Trek" TV series.

Mr. Kurtzman, whose other TV credits include ”Fringe," ”Sleepy Hollow" and ”Hawaii Five-0," was initially hesitant. To him and to millions of fans, ”Star Trek" is a sacred institution, whose patient storytelling and progressive outlook have endured for more than 50 years while spawning numerous imitators.

”The only reason to do a new ‘Trek' television show is if you have something really new to say," Mr. Kurtzman said.

It also details some of the struggles bringing this to the screen

This is such nonsense. "Reflecting a Brutal Time"

The original show aired during the height of the Cold War with wars and skirmishes kicking off in dozens of country...the chance of nuclear annihilation of much of the world was very real (unlike today)

I get that everyone thinks their time is special but this is nonsense...if the original show could keep a hopeful theme we are even more able to keep that theme. And if someone says Trump is president i will have to laugh in their face

Also seeing Star Trek and its universe as only a place to touch if you have something new to say is silly. Which is very interesting as they are saying nothing new and instead falling back to Kirk's time for garbage nostalgia reasons.

berzeli

Banned
Ok so I'm doing the OT, and I accidentally made it a bigger project than I originally intended to so it might be a few hours out still.

Now, my original idea for a title was "Hello to Jason Isaacs" but with hello being in klingon. There are two problems with it though:
1) It's a niche reference. (granted, even google got into it back in 2012)
2) Apparently Klingon doesn't have a word for hello.

So I welcome any and all suggestions, and if I don't like them I will just go with "To boldly go on a streaming platform".

Boem

"To boldly go where no man has gone before" works well with the female lead as well. Or change it to "no woman". Or something.

I'm not good at titles.

Other OT title ideas:
There's coffee in that Klingon ship (in reference to Janeway's famous quote)
Hello Vulcan (in reference to the first episode title and the basic thing most people write when picking up programming, Hello World)
I'm an XO, not a Captain (in reference to the classic Bones quote)

"To boldly go where no man has gone before" works well with the female lead as well. Or change it to "no woman". Or something.

I'm not good at titles.
Where no black woman has gone before since the franchise has already had a female lead. If you consider being captain a lady.

sammex

Star Trek Discovery OT Your tongue is too human

Star Trek Discovery OT I sense the coming of death

Star Trek Discovery OT All life is born from chaos

Star Trek Discovery OT Starfleet doesn't fire first

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
This is too easy.

Star Trek: Discovery [OT] || To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

Reeplacing the first stream with go or watch works too.

Kayhan

Diecast model of the Discovery in the works.

21762059_1790859540941938_8235081960240016858_n.jpg

Now I want pizza. But no pineapple.

Top Bottom