• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

Pluto

Excuse me..... What?
Pulaski may not have been super likable at first but she was interesting from her first episode, she could be abrasive and rude but at the same time she was really committed to her patients (and that was often the reason for her rudeness in the first place like when she not reported to Picard when she came aboard instead opting to immediately take care of Deanna), she was willing to risk her own life when she treated the quarantined kids (Unnatural selection), she had a good rapport with Worf (Up the long ladder) and I liked her quirks like disliking the transporter of being a closeted Picard fangirl.

Her biggest crime was that she wasn't nice to Data but why would she? AI is a thing in the Star Trek universe and no one has ever been nice to them before. Just because Data comes on legs doesn't mean she has to immediately adjust her attitude and treat him differently than the ships computer. She had to learn that he's a person, that's an arc, by the end of the season she was actively cheering for him and encouraged him (Peak Performance).

Pulaski had more personality and character development in one season that Crusher had in six. I don't dislike Crusher but compared to Pulaski she was bland.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
IIRC the writing staff was angry at one of the producers for firing Gates McFadden so they tried to sabotage Pulaski's characterization.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I think the notion that Star Trek needs 3 to 4 seasons to get good is a problem.

Star Trek should probably figure out a way to be good in its first season. The idea the shows deserve a 2 to 3 season handicap to figure the shit out doesnt' fly anymore. Hell, it didn't really fly back then. It had more to do with its being a syndicated show in a different era of television with audiences who had much less choice in sci-fi television.

Ensemble shows are tricky in that a lot of the quality hinges on the rapport of the actors and their characters fitting into the roles(which helps inspire the writers to deliver stronger drama and storytelling). This takes time obviously and is a learning process for all.

It's nigh impossible to conceptualize how a Season 3 will unfold during the stressful and questionable process of putting an initial pitch to a pilot. Freshman years of shows are often awkward for the very reason that these things evolve heavily during the process.

Most would love to hit the "make Year 1 good!" button for sure, but sadly reality doesn't often work that way. The foundation can be ugly and messy, but it eventually builds with enough support and reactionary shifts(often due to feedback).

t-storm

Pulaski was legit awful. She WAS bitter and angry, and her lines were so cringeworthy, from not even being able to pronounce Data correctly because of her hate on for him to apparently having been a romantic love interest of Riker's pop in the past? Wtf? That came out of nowhere and she only decided to bring it up at the end of the season. Even Will said, "why did you never bring this up before?"

Pulaski: "because I'm an awful and terribly written character, sorry Will."

She added no value.

With Crusher, there was at least romantic tension between her and the captain from season one, the story of her husband, her good relationship with Troi etc... much more interesting and established character.

Jackpot

Banned
BTS shot of turbolift-MSD. 7 decks in the saucer, 3 in the secondary hull.

DJxsH2wV4AANZ_s.jpg:large

DiscoJer

Pulaski was legit awful. She WAS bitter and angry, and her lines were so cringeworthy, from not even being able to pronounce Data correctly because of her hate on for him to apparently having been a romantic love interest of Riker's pop in the past? Wtf? That came out of nowhere and she only decided to bring it up at the end of the season. Even Will said, "why did you never bring this up before?"

Pulaski: "because I'm an awful and terribly written character, sorry Will."

She added no value.

With Crusher, there was at least romantic tension between her and the captain from season one, the story of her husband, her good relationship with Troi etc... much more interesting and established character.

That's actually why I didn't like Crusher. There was almost nothing to her character except being Picard's love interest (and early on, Wesley's mother) and being Troi's friend who did aerobics with her...

Pulaski was basically Bones McCoy TNG. That wasn't great, but at least her character stood on her own, not being reliant on other characters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If this is essentially a prequel to the movies, how did they go from grimdark emo lighting to the super bright lighting of the Enterprise?

Effect

Well the bridge doesn't stay that color. From one of the latest promos here how it also looks. Just grabbed a quick screenshot of it. So I think it's safe to assume both the Discovery and the other ship will have different lighting depending on the situation.

Kevin

While the story takes place in the Prime universe ten years before Kirk, I've always viewed each Star Trek a bit as a reimagining while continuing the stories and mythologies we love.

Each Star Trek has looked a lot different then the one to come before it and Star Trek has been off the air so long that I think it has the most to gain in new visuals.

I wouldn't want a new Trek that just looked like TOS or TNG by design but that is just me.

As for the bridge design and lighting choices, they wanted to do something different. I mean you can go to a car lot and find cars of all shapes, colors and designs. I view the bridge and Discovery in the same light.

Kevin

I just talked to my brother about the new Star Trek but immediately lost interest when he found out that CBS is forcing Americans into a subscription service when everyone else can watch it on regular Netflix. He said it should have been the same here.

Anyways yeah I don't know what CBS is thinking with this decision but I do think the USA ratings will be really really low. Probably less then half a million. Let's hope the rest of the world's Netflix ratings can keep this show going...

Not

Banned
I WANT THIS TO BE GOOD DAMMIT

I LOVE STAR TREK

If this is essentially a prequel to the movies, how did they go from grimdark emo lighting to the super bright lighting of the Enterprise?

Aesthetic continuity between series finally got the axe. You can thank the success of Abrams Trek.

Ottaro

It's so dark in there...

Captain Michael: What happened to the lights?

Officer Lindsay: Isn’t this better? Doesn’t this just want to make you curl up and forget about the galaxy?

Michael: Lindsay, we need the lights so that people... Where are these redshirts going?

Lindsay: I’m taking them out to lunch.

Michael: Did you reserve a restaurant? Are they taking their own shuttlecrafts?

Lindsay: Oh, they’ll figure something out.

Michael: No, they won’t. You don’t have a plan? I told you these people are sheep, and they’ll wander off and you’ll lose the sheep. You’ve lost the sheep.

Lindsay: Oh, they’ll be fine.

Kvik

Well, since all the instruments on the bridge is on touchscreens, it kinda makes sense to have dim lighting, to reduce glare. Although I don't know why anti-glare technology hasn't advanced in the 23rd century :p

I think this looks a lot better than I was expecting, I really like Bryan Fuller and want desperately for Jason Isaacs to be in something successful but I can't justify yet another streaming service subscription and I'm morally opposed to pirating it. :(

Blue blue blue
The uniforms are blue the walls are blue the chairs are blue the screens are blue

Did you guys know that blue is the color of the future? Scifi is blue.
Bluuuuuuuuueeeeee is my fetish
opEHg2g.jpg

It's not and that's boring. Physically it's mostly an updated idea of the TOS bridge and that's fine. The only time I perked up though is when it got close up on the captains chair and the beige stood out against the blue background. Would like more obvious beige around the room to stand out more in contrast with the blue.
And get some color on those monitors.

Effect

Sure, and Frakes was also instrumental in the narrative crime that was Enterprise's series finale, so...

Instrumental!? In just agreeing to show up? I didn't know he wrote or directed the episode. Or came up with the idea to do it. That's all Braga (who's owned up to how bad of idea it was and how insulting to the Enterprise cast it was) and Berman. Like everyone else Frakes doesn't like that episode either.

Impressions from the premiere tonight.

@ira
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY is lit beyond fucking belief. Next level. 🔥🔥🔥

@JacksonLanzing
STAR TREK: DISCOVERY is DS9 reborn, with emotion, intelligence and new science fiction concepts to spare. I am thrilled.

@CubanMissileDH
People I trust just came out of the Star Trek: Discovery premiere, and they are raving. My hype is now OFF THE FUCKING CHARTS.

@MikeMcMahanTM
Just got out of the Star Trek Discovery Premiere and I have something to say, but if you’re not into Star Trek then stop reading now.

@MikeMcMahanTM
Okay those jerks are gone- Discovery is great. I was completely surprised. We saw the first two and I can’t wait for ep 3.

@jakeboyslim
Jazzed about the positive reactions to @startrekcbs I'm seeing from my friends who attended the premiere tonight. Can't wait for Sunday! 🖖

@michelledeidre
#StarTrekDiscovery's first ep is so good, everyone. @SonequaMG kills it. Acknowledging the old while embracing the new. Can't wait for more.

@RBryant2012
Holy shit got to see #StarTrekDiscovery and I liked it so much!!!!'

@velocciraptor
OK just got out of #StarTrekDiscovery and can't say much but... It's good. Really good.

@grantimahara
Guys, the first episode of #StarTrekDiscovery is Awesome. Cinematic. Epic. Well done, @StarTrek. Well done.

@TrekMovie
Quick Spolier free review of #StarTrekDiscovery 2part premiere : Truly cinematic and steeped in Trek lore. Lots of action and backstory...

@melcaylo
Saw the first two episodes of #StarTrekDiscovery tonight and loved it. I will be subscribing to @CBSAllAccessTV for sure.

@DanCasey
#StarTrekDiscovery went quite boldly in its first 2 episodes w/ an incredibly charming cast & shocking twists. A promising start. #StarTrek

@Salami_Inferno
The first two episodes were awesome! Everyone is in for an amazing ride next week! #StarTrekDiscovery @trekonlinegame @StarTrek

@dannysullivan
First two episodes of @startrekcbs were fantastic. @StarTrek is back, living long & prospering. Watch later this month! #StarTrekDiscovery

@jhoffman
STAR TREK DISCOVERY does the impossible. It's modern and enormous but still fundamentally STAR TREK. Q'apla!

@TrekGeekDan
Just awestruck on what I saw tonite. Anyone worried about @startrekcbs can rest easy. Thank U to all the cast & crew for what you have done

And the Entertainment Tonight editor...

@shananaomi
i am not allowed to spoil you for @startrekcbs so just let me say: it is phenomenal.

Trying to find more, these were from Reddit.

More from twitter dot com

@TrekCore
Quick non-spoilery thoughts on the #StarTrekDiscovery premiere.

@TrekCore
.@actordougjones Saru is great. Lot more too him than just 'sensing death' seen in promos.

@TrekCore
Burnham is truly the center of this series - and @SonequaMG has what it takes.

@TrekCore
VFX work is really stunning. Everything in the trailers definitely in-progress versions of the effects.

@TrekCore
Any worries about stilted dialogue in teasers can be forgotten; definitely affected by editing for ads.

@TrekCore
If you liked the theme song, just wait until you see it paired with the opening credits sequence.

Kevin

I am glad my optimism and faith in the show appears to have been warranted. The internet has been highly hard on this show from the trailers and it seems like it was all for nothing.

If these reviews are anything to go by then we are ALL in for one hell of a wild ride and yes I plan on actually paying for CBS All Access to support the show. I mean it's only $6 a month with ads. I can handle that and just cancel once the show ends.

@EnterpriseExtra
My No.1 take on #StarTrekDiscovery after seeing the first two episodes tonight is: I can't believe we get 13 more episodes of this!!!

@EnterpriseExtra
It's Burnham's show! @SonequaMG is the center of some twisty & riveting character dynamics that are the strength of the first two episodes.

@EnterpriseExtra
I don't think much of the pre-show divisiveness is going to be quelled anytime soon. (Their loss.) But once fully consumed? Will be beloved.

@davidzappone
Thank you @startrekcbs for a great night. #StarTrekDiscovery is amazing, and a great addition to the mythology that is @StarTrek

@jaybushman
#DISCO!!!! @startrekcbs you're gonna wanna get your subscriptions to CBS All Access post-haste!

Deadline editor:

@joeutichi
Tonight I get to go to the premiere of a new Star Trek show. My twelve year-old self hates me.

@joeutichi
Also I've seen the seating chart and it seems like every living Star Trek cast member is coming.

@joeutichi
Star Trek: Discovery is the most reinvigorating thing to happen to Trek since TNG. The DNA is there, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Trying to go through the hashtag...

Top Bottom