• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm totally getting a Hirogen vibe from the new Klingons. Instead of warriors they've moved them towards hunters - the armour they wear looks like bones and carapaces of creatures they've killed, blood on the face of that purple klingon, then that interview describing them as apex predators. Whether that's a good thing or not, who knows? I quite liked the hirogen.

I get the idea they are going for, and if they just said it was set in the Kelvin timeline I wouldn't really care what they do with the universe because it was already so far apart in many ways.

This is still supposed to be set in the Prime timeline right? and I would have expected a new coat of paint etc. for most things, but where they are taking even just the Klingons they are setting them far apart from Klingons of any of the shows. The change from Tos to TMP was a change, but there was still many similarities, for one the silly hair cuts and beards stayed around. Now they've redesigned them and telling us there are other biological reasons for the ridges, which is fine as it's never really been touched on, though I don't really think many people cared why, same for other species differences. But why they are all hairless now, and now also come in purple?

I said it before in the topic, but the new Klingons look far more like other members of Krall if he was a different species from Beyond than Klingons. I just wish they just would have made this a Kelvin timline show, it would fit in so much better aesthetically and would likely bother far fewer fans.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Re-watching Enterprise before heading into Discovery, it's actually extremely underrated IMO...seems much better than when I first watched it post release.

Kevin

Re-watching Enterprise before heading into Discovery, it's actually extremely underrated IMO...seems much better than when I first watched it post release.

It was an awesome show. Sure there was a bad episode here and there but I absolutely loved Enterprise.

Taelus

The problem is that it was cancelled just when it started to hit its stride. I think it would be remembered a lot more fondly if it got a full 7 seasons. TNG and DS9 both took about 3-4 seasons to really get good.

The problem is that it was cancelled just when it started to hit its stride. I think it would be remembered a lot more fondly if it got a full 7 seasons. TNG and DS9 both took about 3-4 seasons to really get good.

I think the notion that Star Trek needs 3 to 4 seasons to get good is a problem.

Star Trek should probably figure out a way to be good in its first season. The idea the shows deserve a 2 to 3 season handicap to figure the shit out doesnt' fly anymore. Hell, it didn't really fly back then. It had more to do with its being a syndicated show in a different era of television with audiences who had much less choice in sci-fi television.

antonz

If Enterprise had managed to reach 7 season its likely it could have been as fondly remembered as the other series. Even TNG started poorly for nearly 2 seasons and hell there's a bunch of stinkers in season 7. I do agree with Bobby though that Star Trek's writers need to be better preparing from out of the gate. Of course Enterprise got better because a total shake up of the staff

I mean Enterprise was leading into the Earth-Romulan War etc. Would have been a lot of great never been explored part of star trek lore. Enterprise also handed the ship out amongst the stars with little support better than Voyager ever managed.

Nydius

If this is supposed to be in the prime timeline, I already can't get past the fact that they're using the Enterprise ship insignia on their uniforms. I know that sounds like a petty nitpick but in the TOS every ship had their own insignia. Starfleet didn't adopt what we symbolize as the "Trek" insignia until AFTER Kirk and the Enterprise had become the most recognizable and accomplished flagship for Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets.

So now this show is using an insignia for a ship that doesn't even exist yet and it's supposed to exist in the prime timeline? Yeah, no...

That's just one of many nitpicks. Looks like complete shit. A shell of Trek. CBS trying to capitalize on that JJ Abrams version of Trek and push their own asinine pay-for service.

Bluth54

I think the notion that Star Trek needs 3 to 4 seasons to get good is a problem.

Star Trek should probably figure out a way to be good in its first season. The idea the shows deserve a 2 to 3 season handicap to figure the shit out doesnt' fly anymore. Hell, it didn't really fly back then. It had more to do with its being a syndicated show in a different era of television with audiences who had much less choice in sci-fi television.

Yeah TNG era Trek not getting good until season 3 is a pretty major problem. Hopefully Discovery is good from episode one but the rumors certainly haven't been kind about the show.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
If this is supposed to be in the prime timeline, I already can't get past the fact that they're using the Enterprise ship insignia on their uniforms. I know that sounds like a petty nitpick but in the TOS every ship had their own insignia. Starfleet didn't adopt what we symbolize as the "Trek" insignia until AFTER Kirk and the Enterprise had become the most recognizable and accomplished flagship for Starfleet and the United Federation of Planets.

So now this show is using an insignia for a ship that doesn't even exist yet and it's supposed to exist in the prime timeline? Yeah, no...

That's just one of many nitpicks. Looks like complete shit. A shell of Trek. CBS trying to capitalize on that JJ Abrams version of Trek and push their own asinine pay-for service.

I 100% disagree with it looking like a shell of Trek, it's looking like a brilliant blend of old (exploration, the unknown) with the new (action, conflict focus) with a very good cast (Martin-Green, Isaacs, Rainn, Pancholy, Sharma, Yeoh etc)...love the inclusion of Mudd and the fact it's when the Federation is just finding it's feet.

Netflix $$ and CBS pushing it will definitely give it the budget it needs to survive too: hopefully the US streaming numbers aren't the definitive figure though, I think the CBS All Access might struggle for a while (although the other shows popping up on it sound great!).

Effect

So some VFX passes of the Discovery from the original announcement trailer have been leaked

https://vimeo.com/user67905275

If this had been shown off first I wouldn't be surprised if we still had this design. This looks a lot better. That first video effects wise is so rushed. I think they said that took less then a month.

I like the current design though and I'm really curious if we get a scene where those connecting sections are blown and the outer ring detaches from the rest of the ship.

Jackpot

Banned
looks like a grade schoolers first modeling job. Ugly angles everywhere. (commenting just on the geometry, nothing else) . It looks so flat, simple and artificial. No intricate detail or depth.

It's all so its silhouette can look like the Starfleet insignia... which is dumb.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...w-captain-not-care-trekkies-article-1.3404011
NYD said:
Isaacs, 54, said the new show will throw away the legacy of William Shatner and Patrick Stewart – and expects it to upset die hard Trekkies.

”I don't mean to sound irreverent when I say I don't care about the die-hard Trek fans," he told us at an event in Los Angeles. ”I only ‘don't care' about them in the sense that I know they're all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other."

Isaacs says that the new ”Star Trek" will be a reflection of our own world, which is something he has a hard time discussing with his own children right now.

I like Jason Isaacs but goddamn those are some really weird and off putting things to say. "I can't explain America in 2017 to my kids so I decided to show them via my sci fi television show", said no parent ever.

jb1234

Isaacs sounds a little full of himself. Just because there's new Trek doesn't mean that people are going to embrace it and if they don't, he's out of a job.

Previous

check out my new Swatch
“I don't mean to sound irreverent when I say I don't care about the die-hard Trek fans,” he told us at an event in Los Angeles. “I only ‘don't care’ about them in the sense that I know they’re all going to watch anyway. I look forward to having the fun of them being outraged, so they can sit up all night and talk about it with each other.”
Damn that is harsh, imagine if Daisy Ridley or Adam Driver said that about Star Wars fans.

Effect

Saw that article earlier. It's super short and I don't doubt there are is more to the overall comments and conversation, how it was being said vs how it reads, etc. That said I don't see what he said as wrong. The show is going to upset some of the most die hard Trek fans. They've made it clear they're doing new and different things. New and different things I think might be required for this franchise to stay relevant. Just catering to existing and decreasing fans is not sustainable. There is a section of fans that hate what is happening. Yet at the same time they'll still be there at least checking out the first new Star Trek series in over 15 years I think.

I think the comment might hit a nerve with a few because it's true. Regardless of what they might say or claim in a post, etc. Enterprise I think had issues for a number of reasons but remember it lasted for 4 years. One of its problem was not attracting new viewers and that got worse I feel when they decided to only focus on the die hards in the end by going heavy on TOS nostalgia.. All shows lose viewers as they go on. You gotta keep getting new ones though. It also didn't help that show had real quality issues at its core. The assumption that Trek fans would watch at first wasn't the problem. Upsetting some fans that get upset at a lot of things and have been upset about this show from the beginning isn't going to doom Discovery at all. Not even close. They're really not the group that ultimately needs to be cared about and focused on. To some degree yes but not if the franchise itself is to grow. You focus on getting people not like them to show up,watch, and be entertained because there are more of those people then the die hards. I don't see what he's saying as an insult at all. This also isn't his first rodeo with a hardcore fandom.

What could hurt or help Discovery is the quality of the show like every other show.

Damn that is harsh, imagine if Daisy Ridley or Adam Driver said that about Star Wars fans.

It would be true of Star Wars fans as well. Many will show up because its Star Wars.

aliengmr

He ain't wrong

We'll see, but its hardly the time to shoot your mouth off when:

A. your show hasn't premiered

B: is expensive as fuck.

C: part of a franchise trying to make a comeback

and D: is streaming only, behind a fucking paywall.

I mean, I'm a pretty big trekkie but I'm finding it really tough to be interested enough to watch the show, let alone pony up the extra cash just to watch it.

Then again, this whole thing has been about "not giving a fuck" why Star Trek was successful in the first place, so who knows, maybe he is right, but it sure isn't helping.

We'll see, but its hardly the time to shoot your mouth off when:

A. your show hasn't premiered

B: is expensive as fuck.

C: part of a franchise trying to make a comeback

and D: is streaming only, behind a fucking paywall.

I mean, I'm a pretty big trekkie but I'm finding it really tough to be interested enough to watch the show, let alone pony up the extra cash just to watch it.

Then again, this whole thing has been about "not giving a fuck" why Star Trek was successful in the first place, so who knows, maybe he is right, but it sure isn't helping.

It's not really hurting, either.

And they definitely give a fuck about why the Kelvinverse films were successful, which is why they're following that pattern.

There has to be a better way of responding to criticism from diehards that doesn't dismiss them all as sheep that will watch anything anyway.

Why?

Even if he gilded that lily diehards will reduce the politeness to its core components and get shitty about it anyway.

Might as well get right up front.

You'd think Trekkies would be used to "Get a life" by now.

It's been over 30 years.

Fuchsdh

This gets quoted as common knowledge all the time, but it's dead wrong. The delta shield was always intended to be the insignia of ships in Starfleet. The fact that the Constellation got its own patch was a production error, not an intentional choice.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
This gets quoted as common knowledge all the time, but it's dead wrong. The delta shield was always intended to be the insignia of ships in Starfleet. The fact that the Constellation got its own patch was a production error, not an intentional choice.

Can you give me a source for this? I'm untrusting because the Constellation wasn't the only Constitution class starship with it's own emblem. The Defiant and the Exeter also have their own insignias.

emblem-defiant.jpg

Besides, the Constellation's insignia is pretty complex. I'd wonder why they'd let it get so far before someone noticed it being a production error...

Fuchsdh

Can you give me a source for this? I'm untrusting because the Constellation wasn't the only Constitution class starship with it's own emblem. The Defiant and the Exeter also have their own insignias.

Besides, the Constellation's insignia is pretty complex. I'd wonder why they'd let it get so far before someone noticed it being a production error...

From The Making of Star Trek:

TO: Bill Theiss
SUBJECT: STARSHIP EMBLEMS
DATE: December 18, 1967

Whilst sitting in Dailies today, it was noticed that a Starship Captain (from another Starship) was wearing an emblem unfamiliar to yours truly. I have checked the occurences out with Mr. Roddenberry, who has reassured me that all Starship personnel wear the Starship emblem that we have established for our Enterprise Crew Members to wear.

Doubtless this situation has arisen due to the fact that a different Starship emblem was used last season on ”CHARLIE X". However, the personnel of that other ship in that show were the equivalent of merchant marine or freighter personnel -- and therefore not entitled to bear this proud insignia on their individual and collective breasts.

Please do not do anything to correct this understandable mistake in the present episode. However, should we have Starfleet personnel in any other episodes, please make certain that they were the proper emblem.

Under penalty of death!

Signed this 18th day of December, in the year of our Lord, 1967, by

ROBERT H. JUSTMAN
Chief Inquisitor

Basically Theiss (the costume designer) occasionally disregarded Justman and the other producers. The whole "The Enterprise insignia became the one for all of Starfleet" is just fan back-filling, even though there's just as many examples of non-Enterprise personnel with the delta shield as there are ship-specific patches in the original series (The Menagerie, Tholian Web, etc).

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
From The Making of Star Trek:

Basically Theiss (the costume designer) occasionally disregarded Justman and the other producers. The whole "The Enterprise insignia became the one for all of Starfleet" is just fan back-filling, even though there's just as many examples of non-Enterprise personnel with the delta shield as there are ship-specific patches in the original series (The Menagerie, Tholian Web, etc).
Ahh, gotcha. I see now. I would t dare stand against Bob Justman. Theiss should have been fired.

I still do like the idea that Starfleet was in full insignia mode before saying “to hell with it” and adopting the insignia of its greatest starship. ^_^

Actually, now that I think about it, does the Defiant symbol used in ENT actually canonize this? I know it wasn’t used heavily in TOS, but ENT is canon, right?

Fuchsdh

Ahh, gotcha. I see now. I would t dare stand against Bob Justman. Theiss should have been fired.

I still do like the idea that Starfleet was in full insignia mode before saying “to hell with it” and adopting the insignia of its greatest starship. ^_^

Actually, now that I think about it, does the Defiant symbol used in ENT actually canonize this? I know it wasn’t used heavily in TOS, but ENT is canon, right?

"In a Mirror Darkly," weirdly enough, actually muddles the issue, I presume because the producers didn't know of the different patches being a mistake. While it's hard to see in "The Tholian Web", the dead crew the E finds are wearing the arrowhead patch—but in ENT, they're suddenly wearing a unique parallelogram badge.

Enterprise was great. But every time I'm reminded of the unfortunate song choice during the opening titles I die a little inside.

Yes, because that notion is patently false. TNG season 1 in particular was some good shit. Come at me! :p

There has to be a better way of responding to criticism from diehards that doesn't dismiss them all as sheep that will watch anything anyway.
Seriously, and as a "die-hard" fan these comments are disconcerting... but unfortunately he's kind of right. I'm going to watch every episode of this show like the insatiable dog I am.

I wonder how successful a full on reboot would be (of the Prime universe), seems like a lot of the older Star Trek fans would hate any changes made to the canon

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I know it's nigh on blasphemy, but ENT's first season song was great now that I rewatch it... fitted the show perfectly IMO...

*waits for phasers set to stun*

Can't wait to hear the DSC theme song in full, hope it's quite Mass Effecty to be honest...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder how successful a full on reboot would be (of the Prime universe), seems like a lot of the older Star Trek fans would hate any changes made to the canon
I mean they did the stupid time travel thing to avoid doing a reboot. If they actually want to do new Star Trek without boring ass Klingons and Romulans yet again, just set it in the 26th century and say they're visiting the Andromeda galaxy with superduper-Transwarp drives.
(I guess that's one thing Andromeda did right be trying to reboot Mass Effect without trying to rewrite the mess of the original Trilogy's ending)

I know it's nigh on blasphemy, but ENT's first season song was great now that I rewatch it... fitted the show perfectly IMO...

*waits for phasers set to stun*

Can't wait to hear the DSC theme song in full, hope it's quite Mass Effecty to be honest...
It's been a loooooong road...

I mean they did the stupid time travel thing to avoid doing a reboot. If they actually want to do new Star Trek without boring ass Klingons and Romulans yet again, just set it in the 26th century and say they're visiting the Andromeda galaxy with superduper-Transwarp drives.
(I guess that's one thing Andromeda did right be trying to reboot Mass Effect without trying to rewrite the mess of the original Trilogy's ending)

It's been a loooooong road...

That would really be the best way to do it, just skip so far ahead that the canon from all the series doesn't even matter anymore

and I hate that damn song

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
That would really be the best way to do it, just skip so far ahead that the canon from all the series doesn't even matter anymore

and I hate that damn song

that'd be great actually. this way they could invent all the crazy tech they want, make it shiny as much as they want or gritty.

eh. I'll watch the first episode and decide then. but for now, the design does not speak to me at all.

Top Bottom