• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This video is an interesting look at Discovery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA

Talks about Fuller's exit, and how the CBS/Paramount split might be heavily influencing the differences between Discovery and established Trek. Also talks a bit in the end about the rumored other Nich Meyers Star Trek series, but that's just conjecture. Still an interesting video.

Cheebo

Banned
This video is an interesting look at Discovery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA

Talks about Fuller's exit, and how the CBS/Paramount split might be heavily influencing the differences between Discovery and established Trek. Also talks a bit in the end about the rumored other Nich Meyers Star Trek series, but that's just conjecture. Still an interesting video.

This speculation pretty much matches up with what we can see:

-Fuller's Discovery was a Cage era "Prime Universe" prequel.
- Once Fuller exited and Kurtzman become the lead voice of the show it became a "Kelvin Universe" show even though they will not say so publicly.

Every piece of media that comes out makes it clearer and clearer this is Kelvin Universe, even if they won't ever say so.

berzeli

Banned
This video is just conjecture.

Fixed that for you.

That entire channel is just "drama" pulled out of their asses.
While the series so far has avoided the critical spotlight off the mainstream media, ever more information has slipped through the cracks and will be revealed here.
I mean come on. This is just garbled nonsense.

Every piece of media that comes out makes it clearer and clearer this is Kelvin Universe, even if they won't ever say so.
Why of course, it's all just a big conspiracy or something.

Pluto

The worst part of that video is where he suggests a Star Trek show would go to The CW. That would be so bad.
It could work on a CW budget, think Supernatural in space. Two or three people in a runabout having adventures, space shots would be limited to the runabout flying (i.e. a handful of shots that get rused), most of the action could take place on planets where they avoid major population centers. Star Trek has often done that, how many episodes featured them visiting a planet and ending up in a forest, a cave or a few rooms?

It's obviously not happening but it could if the show was specifically created to be relatively low budget.
But what's even more unbelievable than a Star Trek series on the CW is a Star Trek series helmed by Nick Meyer, that guy has pretty much zero experience as a showrunner or even working on tv, he did a few mini series and those usually resemble longer movies broken into several parts more than actual tv shows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
CW Trek has to be Starfleet Academy. Everything can be Vancouver with some props to make it look future-ey and take place on a Holodeck.

Also young sexy cast doing young sexy things and getting into sexy escapades with each other and their teachers and aliens they meet.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
That video is even worse than the last one. Midnight's Edge gets their hot takes from such laudable pundits as Doug Fitz for frak's sake. I have no doubt this production has been a difficult one and it remains to be seen what quality Discovery musters but 17 minutes of "I wrote this Discovery production summary using a bold new app called Cliched Angry Good-Old-Days Star Trek fan" followed by 4 minutes of "rumor has it rumor has it rumor has it Nicholas Meyer" does not a brave journalistic moment make.

I'm sorry if that comes across as yelling. I'm just over here yelling at cloud. For all I know bits and pieces of their previous videos are spot-on. But this one ticked me off worse than the prior efforts, which in and of themselves were no winners. It's just terribly-worded conjecture.

Off-topic, but What We Left Behind -- DS9's upcoming documentary -- has an update.

Earlier this year the campaign for the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine documentary What We Left Behind surpassed all expectations, bringing in almost $650,000. DS9 showrunner and What We Left Behind producer Ira Steven Behr has actually been working on the doc for a few years and is set to give fans a glimpse at this week's Star Trek Las Vegas convention. TrekMovie checked in with Ira to see how things are coming along on the documentary and to find out what he has planned for Vegas.

Getting closer
Can you say where you are in the process for What We Leave Behind?

We have started a very rough assembly and when I say assembly I mean the various interviews, some of which have got pretty long. So it would be nice to do three hours of me and Armin Shimerman [Quark] or me and [co-creator] Rick Berman, but I don't think that's the movie. They are looking through the various interviews to identify the salient moments that work the best, and that is a pretty big job right there. We are also having some stalwart people tracking down various components for upresing to HD.

How long do you think it will be in the end?

We keep talking about 90 minutes. We are going to take 150 hours of interviews plus everything else and boil it down to a crisp 90 minutes, so that will be interesting to see. Plus there are going to be extras galore, like the ”Writer's Room: Breaking Episode 1" of the mythical season 8. I really want to present all six hours of that to the fans. People want to see what it is like to be in a writers room. It is Robert [Hewitt Wolfe], Ron [Moore], Rene [Echevarria], and Hans [Beimler] and myself. and we really dipped in there starting square zero to come up with a full story and breaking down an entire episode in one day.

Getting Avery?
Are the interviews complete?

Mostly. I am still doing some final interviews, the bulk of which will be at the Vegas con. After Vegas I would think – unless something surprisingly wonderful comes up – the interviews will be complete.

Did you get everyone you wanted?

Well, we didn't get Avery [Brooks].

I was going to ask

Yes, that is the question everyone is asking. I spoke to Avery and he is a big supporter of it. He has watched a bunch of the interviews, both actors and behind the scenes people. He is very supportive of the doc. But he has made it clear from the beginning that he has said everything he pretty much wanted to say and had to say about Deep Space Nine, and he didn't feel he has anything important to contribute. So we are disappointed, but Avery is my captain and I take his word very seriously. So that is the story. If he has a change of heart he knows we would make every effort to get him filmed. If not, we have plenty of archival footage of him.

Getting bigger (and High Definition)
This project has grown quite a bit since its inception.

Yeah. When we started this in 2013 it was this little hour-long doc that I wasn't even sure why I had said yes to. They just caught me at my first convention in 13 years, which I had gone to to see Avery [Brooks]. When they asked me to this I didn't give it a lot of thought. I was in the middle of the convention floor and I knew the guys because they interviewed me for some of their other Star Trek docs, and I just it would be a little something that would be on a DVD or something very small, and it has taken on a much bigger life.

I started out doing this for the actors and for the people who worked on that show to kind of celebrate the fact that ”Hey, being the bastard middle child is not only OK, but it is kind of cool." Because in today's world we are the only goddamn show that feels anything like a modern TV series of the whole franchise. That is why I am doing it. And it became a thing with this fan response. Avery called me up one day and said ”Have you been seeing the fans at these conventions? These young fans who weren't even alive when we filmed the show and they love it and don't care it isn't Kirk and Spock or Picard and Data. They don't care whether Gene [Roddenberry] would care about the show or not. It's a new age, it's a new day."

So I thought ”Yeah, it's true." So then I thought I was doing it for the fans. It seems I am trying to do it for all of them. I am certainly not doing it for someone who never watched the show. That isn't the person I am trying to talk to. I am trying to talk to the people who have joined the party and shown their support.

Regarding the up-converting of footage into HD from the original: how does that factor into the doc?

There are a lot of interviews at the core of the documentary, and there are all kinds of artifacts and behind the scenes things that people kept that add to the story, but the show itself has to be the centerpiece. No one person is the centerpiece of this doc. And one of the things the fans – and I include myself in this quite a bit – everyone has been looking for a better looking product.

I have not been happy about the [Deep Space Nine] DVDs. I have talked about it for twenty frickin' years. I was disappointed with the way the show looked on DVD and the idea of giving the fans something they haven't seen before and getting to look at the show and going ”Oh, wow, that is a pleasant surprise." It's something we have wanted to do since we first talked about this doc.

We have the Okudas [Mike and Denise] involved and they are looking to see what is available and most importantly of all, what are the costs. It is not cheap. So we will have to see. There are all sorts of things being thrown around, including the possibility of finding things that haven't been seen before, from deep within the vault; possibly takes that haven't been seen or parts of scenes that weren't used. The Okudas have a wide open mandate.

Plenty more at the link for those who are interested.

The TCA panel for Star Trek Discovery is going on right now. Following on Twitter.

So far a lot of positive reactions to the new theme song

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
In-depth info from TCA.

Star Trek: Discovery cast and crew appeared at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Tuesday and dropped some new information about the series — including Sonequa Martin-Green, Jason Isaacs, James Frain, Mary Chieffo, and Alex Kurtzman.

Plus, 11 new Star Trek: Discovery character posters were revealed during the panel — including one for a new character. Scroll down to check those out.

With the help of some fellow media members sharing updates from TCA on Twitter, we’ve compiled the major news coming out of the panel.

Sonequa Martin-Green, who plays the show’s lead First Officer Michael Burnham, talked about the excitement leading up to the series’ premiere in September. “The honor is mine. The pleasure is mine… our cups are running over with gratitude and excitement.” said the 32-year-old actress.

Martin-Green’s name will now be listed among such Star Trek leads as William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks, Kate Mulgrew, Scott Bakula and Chris Pine. She acknowledged this opportunity, saying “To be able to be a part of history–it’s a dream!”.

Her character’s name has been a topic of discussion on social media since it was first revealed. When asked about the name Michael, she said “I appreciated the statement it makes on its own. A woman to have a male name.”

During the panel, the Star Trek: Discovery theme song was played for the very first time. The song, which was recorded with a 60-piece orchestra, reportedly incorporate elements of Alexander Courage’s Original Series theme.

Discussing the show’s delay, executive producer Alex Kurtzman clarified why the original airdate was missed, saying that they wanted to make sure everything was done right and not rushed. “We just wanted to do it right, and that’s the truth,” said Kurtzman.

Mary Chieffo, who plays the Klingon Battle Deck Commander L’Rell on the series, was asked about being both a Star Trek fan and being cast in it. She admitted her excitement, saying “I’m geeking out a lot.”

“Playing a Vulcan, it’s been interesting looking at the human world through those eyes,” said James Frain who plays Sarek on the series. “Humans are barbaric and not to be trusted because they start wars and kill people. Vulcans don’t do that anymore.”

The Star Trek: Discovery aftershow, Talking Trek, will run approximately 30-40 minutes in length and will have “social elements” built in, according to CBS Interactive President and COO Marc DeBevoise.

The first episode of Talking Trek will premiere on CBS All Access after the first episode airs on CBS and the streaming service.

New character key art was revealed during the panel, which gives each of the main characters their own poster. One new addition to the show’s lineup includes an alien character named “Voq”. We’ll have more on this as information becomes available.

CW Trek has to be Starfleet Academy. Everything can be Vancouver with some props to make it look future-ey and take place on a Holodeck.

Also young sexy cast doing young sexy things and getting into sexy escapades with each other and their teachers and aliens they meet.

I would watch CW Trek all day, every day.

Effect

The Talking Trek show is being done by the same company that does the Talking Dead show for AMC.

http://trekmovie.com/2017/08/01/cbs...theme-music-and-announces-after-show-details/

CBS is also adding three new shows to their All Access network as well.

Taken from the same Trek Movie article.

CBS also added three new original shows. The first is a drama called Strange Angel, created by Mark Heyman (Black Swan) with Ridley Scott as one of the executive producers “explores the dramatic intersection between genius and madness, science and science fiction.”

The second show is a comedy called No Activity from Will Ferrell, Adam McKay and Funny Or Die which is “set against the world of a major drug cartel bust, the series follows two low-level cops who have spent far too much time in a car together; two criminals who are largely kept in the dark; two dispatch workers who haven’t really clicked; and two Mexican tunnelers who are in way too small a space considering they’ve only just met.”

And the third show is a mystery/thriller called $1 “set in a small rust belt town in post-recession America, where a one-dollar bill changing hands connects a group of characters involved in a shocking multiple murder.”

These shows along with The Good Fight and Star Trek: Discovery expands the original programming for CBS All Access to five series. CBS also announced their CBSN 24-hour news network will be available on CBS All Access starting this week.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
TrekMovie has a ton of coverage of Star Trek Las Vegas' Discovery panels for the day. There are further panels to come for the show, centered on stuff like tie-in media. But here's their coverage for today.

The highlight of the first day of the Star Trek Las Vegas convention was an afternoon dedicated to the new CBS All Access show Star Trek: Discovery. The first panel featured writer/producers Ted Sullivan and Kirsten Beyer and executive producer Akiva Goldsman showed up as a special guest too. They talked about a range of issues from canon to character and more including taking questions from fans.

Star Trek: Discovery is telling our war story
Possibly the most interesting exchange was about mid way through the panel when Akiva started talking about the themes and metaphors of the show and how they fit into the scale of it:

It has allowed us to be thematically deep. We are trying to be thoughtful and really trying to explore the kinds of issues that we think Star Trek has always explored. Not be cute about it. To be thoughtful and serious about the issues of race and inclusion and alliance and alienation. And also just blow up some spaceships in a great way. It is also epic in its scope and scale as a production object. It is not like a TV show when it comes to the representations of ships. It is like like the movies. It is a different aesthetic but it is that scope and scale.

Sullivan weighed in and got more specific:

It blows me away and it is super exciting. But Star Trek has never been about the ships and the sets and the costumes and props for me. It is about what is the metaphor that they are exploring in that episode or that movie. It didn’t throw me when I saw [Star Trek] The Motion Picture and it looked different than the TV show. It didn’t throw me that Wrath of Khan looked different than The Motion Picture. I just liked what they were doing creatively and I understood the story that they were telling and especially the themes.

What I am most proud of that we are dealing with this version of Star Trek and it a serialized show so we can really explore it, it is about what is going on in the world right now. We have been at war for over fifteen years and that changes you and it challenges you to be your best version of yourself and sometimes you are not always so how do you find your way back from back. To me that is a very important use of what Star Trek can be. So yes, I freak out when I am standing on a bridge with Michelle Yeoh (Capt. Georgiou). I freak out when I am in an editing room. We were just talking about an episode we jsut saw and it is amazing like Wrath of Khan good, it is really good. So that is awesome, but it is not why I love Star Trek.

Finding the boundaries of canon in the Prime timeline (not Kelvin)

Responding to a question about what it was like writing for the Discovery when you have a deep knowledge of Star Trek and Akiva noted there are sometimes downsides saying:

I think sometimes it gets in the way. I think of Bruce Tim said once about making the Justice League cartoon. He came up with a pitch where they break the Green Lantern ring. Everyone said “You can’t do that, it is indestructible.” He said “I think we can, it will be good for the story.”… Sometime you need to know when to break the ring, and sometimes you need to know when you don’t. Luckily we have a lot of people in the room who will tell you when to break the ring when not to.

Beyer added:

I think that is a really good way to describe it. As much as you want to honor everything that has come before. As much as you want everything we are doing to feel part of that universe, but at the same time you want to surprise people. You don’t want to inhibit the creative process that is happening in the room by constantly reminding everyone where the boundaries are. It is fun to let people step over the boundaries and reel them back in.

Goldsman did note that this doesn’t mean violating canon:

The operative assumption being that you cannot violate what we know to be canon so you better find out how to work within it. It turns out there are a bunch of ways in being inductive and creative. It is the difference between making it up and adapting. And by choosing a period of time that is within canon it turns storytelling into adaptations.

During the Q&A they were asked how the show ties together with the recent Star Trek feature films. Akiva Goldsman noting that there were similar production elements but not in terms of the canon:

Very midly, sort of in various way. Star Trek itself is complicated. Enterprise which gets a bad is its own thing as is DS9 as is The Original Series as is The Animated Series. We are bigger than any of the shows so in that way we are more like the movies. Our sets are giant and more very filmic. We are very visual effects heavy. You can’t point the camera without pointing at a green screen. It’s big! So in that way we are like the movies. I can only say this, we are not in the Kelvin timeline. We are in The Original Series timeline. So we resonant with those stories. We are the precursor. We are ten years before TOS so we are telling those sort of stories.

How serialized storytelling conflicts with the ‘Roddenberry Rule’
The panel also picked up on previous reporting that Discovery was not adopting the “Roddenberry Rule” of having no conflict within the main cast. Goldsman talked about how you can tell a story of a utopian vision with conflict:

What we are trying to do is suggest that the vision of the Federation, which is a utopian vision of the future and which is really vital, as vital today as it was in the 60s. We are not very neutral about that. Our bridge looks like our bridge not by accident. We are proud to be the heir of the first interracial kiss on television. We are proud to be an object that intends to talk about how peoples and cultures that live together and how we forge ties. That is what Star Trek is. Star Trek is to me about empathy. So fundamentally the idea that there is no conficle on the way to utiopia is absurd and it wouldn’t be good storytelling.

He then went into detail on how the Roddenberry Rule wouldn’t work with serialized storytelling:

The idea of the Roddenberry Rule which again I think has found its own life even more so after the original series – doesn’t work at all in serialized storytelling. Jim Kirk could watch Edith Keeler die and be literally ruined by it and be fine the next week, because he had to be. And that is not the truth of serialized storytelling today. Our characters carry their losses with them from episode to episode. They carry their love that they start to feel or animosity or the trust or mistrust. All those are the grammars of forging community both in a fractal way as we Sonequa Martin-Green’s character and in a global way as the Federation is tested and these ideals ideals in the context of war.

A huge show
Akiva drew a comparison with his previous work on the Fox show Fringe when talking about the scale of Discovery:

That was typical sized smart TV sci-fi. It doesn’t hold a candle to what we are doing. The complexity, the narrative ambition, and the scope of the object. And that trailer isn’t every effects shot, that really is the show. Most of that is from the first three episodes. It is so tremendous that it kind of holding hands and jumping together.

And Ted compared Discovery his work on Revenge:

I worked on Revenge for a bunch of seasons which is a heavily serialized show. It was incredibly difficult to write. It was so much backstory and each episode had to build on the other and try to make sense of a giant jigsaw puzzle. That is what we do with this and there is a huge amount of extra burden on it because it is Star Trek.

Akiva Goldsman at Discovery writers panel at Star Trek Las Vegas 2017
Yes, there will be technobabble
With all the talk of war and character development does Discovery skimp on the science? Beyer delved into this saying:

Star Trek always tries to be true to science as much as it can but some of what we do is beyond our grasp at this point. But it what it does have is a very specific internal logic. So as long we understand what the Heisenberg Compensator is and what it does we can accept it without breaking that stuff down. In a lot of ways as the role of science in what we are doing and no so much exploring new concepts that are going to be breaking all kinds of new ground in that way. But making sure that whatever we are building makes sense.

Ted noted that the staff includes many with science background including Ph.Ds and so there will be some tech in Star Trek: Discovery:

All of us have a love for science and a respect for science and it infuses our scripts and it infuses our stories.

Ted also confirmed that there still will be technobabble but he noted that most of the actors aren’t always loving rattling off the tech terms but Anhthony Rapp (who plays science officer Stamets) is “amazing at it.”

Character details for Stamets and Saru
The writers also gave some more details on the characters of science officer Lt. Paul Stamets.

He is a guy who presents with a certain exterior that tends to push people away so what is fun is finding the ways that find a softer, kinder side that is there. What I find amazing about Saru is what Doug [Jones] brought to it. I think we were all searching for who this guy is going to be. Doug has so brought to life this person with this incredible brilliance but also this warmth and compassion and sense of humor and dry wit that is making the evolution of that character fun to watch.

Sullivan added

[Saru] makes you laugh and he makes you cry in the same episode. I think that is a really, really important aspect of Star Trek. You need to have humor and you certainly need to have pathos. Doug is certainly a worthy torchbearer from Spock to Data.

Ted also described a Saru-focused episode written by Beyer:

It will feel like the most traditional Star Trek, the most beautiful. What Doug does is just simply jaw-dropping. You will find out so much about his culture and there are so many surprises about him.

Goldsman noted that it is hard to describe the characters because each has their own arc, saying:

The characters present in a particular present in a particular way – each and every one of them – at the start of the show. The title is not an accident. This is long-form storytelling based on character. That is not to say we don’t have plot because god we have plot. Fundamentally our runner is character-driven.

New ways to experience Klingons (and some Vulcans too)
Talking about the Klingon aspect Kirsten confirmed they are working with Klingon language experts for Discovery and she also talked about the experience of expanding the lore of the Klingons:

It is has been super fun to take a species that in some ways feel well-established but in a a lot of ways when you dig into they have been monolithic. Their duty and their honor. And to image what a certain period in their history might have produced has been incredible fun and has given us all kinds of new ways to talk about and experience Klingons.

Goldsman added a note on the Federation Klingon war:

One of the driving forces of this war was to not vilify either side. The show is often told from both points of view. It is certainly about the Federation, but there are significant section of the narrative that are purely from the Klingon point of view and in Klingon. That allows the audience to participate in the debate of who is right and who is wrong.

During the Q&A they were asked if the show would dive into more known Star Trek cultures and it appears not so much with Goldsman saying:

Klingons are the focus but there is definable a medium deep-dive into Vulcans and what it means to be Vulcan. And there are some old fan-favorites but not with any real penetrative death.

Kirsten Beyer at Discovery writers panel at Star Trek Las Vegas 2017
Star Trek passion in the writers room
Each of the three talked of their passion and history with the franchise. Akiva talked about how he went his first Star Trek convention as a 14 year-old in 1976 in New York.

[Star Trek] was the first thing I ever loved. It was the first piece of television that I had a relationship with. It is insane that I get to do this. The 14 year old in me wakes up stunned and grateful. I talked J.J. [Abrams] into putting me into both movies. I have cameos in both. I am so proud and thrilled and moved by doing that I actually almost got a divorce over this. It has become the single most important thing in my life.

Kirsten talked about her first memories of Star Trek watching it with her brother as a child as it was the only show they could both agree on, noting:

My first memory is sitting in front of this TV show that was so amazing – I love it.

She noted that later in the life it was Star Trek: Voyager that inspired her to become a writer. She has written many Voyager novels and she joked it only took 20 years for her to reach her dream of writing for a Star Trek TV show.

As for Ted Sullivan he said he had been watching Star Trek since he was 8 years old after he fell in love with it watching “City on the Edge of Forever.” He later focused on reading the books both fiction and non-fiction. And later he began his writing career when he and his brother took it upon themselves to write a sequel to Star Trek III after they became obsessed with that film. He gave a brief synopsis:

They were flying back in the Bird of Prey and they get captured by the Klingons. There is a war that is brewing and Kirk has to broker a peace which is very difficult for him because he just lost his son to the Klingons. So there are some ties to what we are doing now.

Sullivan also noted that it isn’t just the Trekkies who were sent to STLV, the writers room in general has a love for Trek:

We are really lucky in the room…We have people that are supportive that when someone is on the board they come in early and they stay late. There is a mutual love and respect for Star Trek because literally everyone in the room loves Star Trek and understand how important it. These people on the couch with me are partially writers because of Star Trek, I am partially a writer because of Star Trek. There are others.

However it isn’t all uniform according to Ted:

I think the room is hard. We argue some times. We have different opinions of what Star Trek is. It is different things to different people.

Jason Gorn cameo
Ted also noted that he brought his friend Jason Gorn (a tiny Gorn action figure that has sort of become a social media-fueled mascot for the writers) to the con. He noted there are many more behind-the-scenes photos from the set with Jason and promised he will be able to share those in the future.

I don't know why but the Jason Gorn photos are so entertaining

DGF6YSHUQAAOtg-.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Cover reveals and new information on the early tie-in media, courtesy of TrekCore:

Today at the Las Vegas Star Trek convention, we got our first look at the forthcoming Star Trek: Discovery tie-in novel and comic releases, coming in the next few weeks to coincide with the launch of the new series!

First up is Desperate Hours, David Mack’s novel set as a prequel to the series – Mack’s book is set in approximately 2255, which is described as a year prior to the events of the Discovery first episode, and a year after the classic Trek episode “The Cage.”

Desperate Hours hits stores on September 26, two days after the debut of Star Trek: Discovery on CBS and CBS All Access – and you can preorder it now from Amazon.

In addition, the second Discovery novel is due to arrive from author Dayton Ward in early 2018, and is expected to be set approximately 10 years prior to the events of the television series.

Also revealed is IDW’s first Discovery comic release, which is a four-issue miniseries focusing on T’Kuvma (Chris Obi) and the Klingons, coming from longtime Trek comic writer Mike Johnson and debuting in October.

As of yet, IDW has not decided on plans for a second Discovery comic series, but we’d be surprised if it’s not something announced later in 2017.

Apologies for that mess in my earlier post, btw. I'll try to clean it up tomorrow; I've gotta hit the sack shortly. That TrekMovie article just has a lot of typographical errors I'll try to sort through for clarity.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Some information on the upcoming tie-in novel by author David Mack, courtesy of TrekMovie. There's also some stuff on the approach to tie-ins and about how the first comic miniseries is on T'Kuvma.

http://trekmovie.com/2017/08/03/stlv17-covers-and-details-unveiled-for-first-star-trek-discovery-comic-and-novel/

We want to be able to take the story opportunities that we’re just frankly not going to have time to cover in the show, and go as deep into those into the various formats as we can. It’s not that you have to read these stories to understand everything, but the story will be incredibly enhanced if you do.

They have kept me in the loop throughout the season with all the scripts and the story development. There were a few false starts, but eventually it allowed us to collaboratively create this story, which by the way sprung from a direct request by Bryan Fuller, the co-creator of Star Trek: Discovery – he basically asked that we write a book on this basic premise.

Aboard the Starship Shenzhou, Lieutenant Michael Burnham, a human woman raised and educated among Vulcans, is promoted to acting first officer. But if she wants to keep the job, she must prove to Captain Philippa Georgiou that she deserves to have it.

She gets her chance when the Shenzhou must protect a Federation colony that is under attack by an ancient alien vessel that has surfaced from the deepest fathoms of the planet’s dark, uncharted sea. As the menace from this mysterious vessel grows stronger, Starfleet declares the colony expendable in the name of halting the threat. To save thousands of innocent lives, Burnham must infiltrate the alien ship. But to do so she needs to face the truth of her troubled past, and seek the aid of a man she has tried to avoid her entire life — until now.

SArcher

Banned
Something that I'm finding strange is the lack of trailer reactions from any of the big youtubers. Is the show still flying under the radar for most people?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I don't follow YouTubers at all, so I'm not too familiar with the trade, but I reckon it might be more of a case of Star Trek in general not really being perceived as a huge deal for the better part of the last 15 or so years. It needs to improve its mindshare.

Effect

Something that I'm finding strange is the lack of trailer reactions from any of the big youtubers. Is the show still flying under the radar for most people?

They can't monetize them. The first trailer got claimed by CBS for a lot of people. Some threw fits and took them down. Looks like those that wanted to make money off the reaction just didn't bother with the second trailer. There are still some out there though.

There is also the difference between TV vs movie as well. For example when it comes time for Star Wars Rebels trailers it's only some Star Wars fans that I see doing reactions. Those that do reactions for the film trailers don't pay it any attention. I expect the same also is happening with Discovery in addition to the CBS limiting how much they can make off it. I do see reactions from Trek and scifi fans but not many. Sadly some of them are the "not my Trek" "doesn't look like the original series" etc.

SArcher

Banned
The JJ-verse movies (and trailers) were covered extensively on youtube though. That's why it seems odd that the show is not getting much attention over there.

Edit:
@Effect Ahh, that makes sense.

Fuchsdh

The JJ-verse movies (and trailers) were covered extensively on youtube though. That's why it seems odd that the show is not getting much attention over there.

If you think about it, if you're 16–18 now the only big Star Trek movie was when you were 9 to 11, and you probably don't remember Trek being on the air first-run, let alone any of the previous films.

That video is even worse than the last one. Midnight's Edge gets their hot takes from such laudable pundits as Doug Fitz for frak's sake. I have no doubt this production has been a difficult one and it remains to be seen what quality Discovery musters but 17 minutes of "I wrote this Discovery production summary using a bold new app called Cliched Angry Good-Old-Days Star Trek fan" followed by 4 minutes of "rumor has it rumor has it rumor has it Nicholas Meyer" does not a brave journalistic moment make.

I just don't get how anyone will buy incredibly detailed info about what licensing agreements are involved between CBS and Paramount with absolutely no sourcing. The stuff like "the uniforms have to be different, so they added the delta weave" are laughable. If they had copyrighted the uniforms, making them two pieces and adding a pattern wouldn't cut it.

In addition to what has been said, I just think CBS has a huge messaging problem. This should be a prestige show (GoT, OITNB, etc etc) in a golden age of prestige TV shows, but CBS just can't settle on a strategy. Instead it's coming off as a rush job to sell an online service.

Kevin

I feel like the show itself is hitting all the right notes in terms of scope, designs, what we know of the characters and stories, etc.

Nobody can review something that has yet to air but so far it looks like they took a really outdated franchise and gave it a new fresh coat of paint while trying their best to keep most of the aspects that make Star Trek, Star Trek.

You can't please everyone and there will always been TOS or TNG fans that are not happy with various art design aspects for this modern day Star Trek series but I couldn't be happier with what I have seen so far.

As far as CBS goes, yeah the marketing seems a bit off for this show and a lot of hype just seems really missing from all around. Not entirely sure why that is but I do hope that once the show gets going that the reviews are strong, the word of mouth is good and the streaming numbers are solid (at least on the Netflix platform).

This may be the last chance Star Trek gets on tv. So unless you are absolutely against the show or paying the $6 a month to support it for whatever reason, I feel like Star Trek fans in general need to consider these things and just support the show unless they don't care about watching the franchise die completely. The ball is in their court.

Effect

In addition to what has been said, I just think CBS has a huge messaging problem. This should be a prestige show (GoT, OITNB, etc etc) in a golden age of prestige TV shows, but CBS just can't settle on a strategy. Instead it's coming off as a rush job to sell an online service.

Used to sell the online service but I don't think it's a rush job at all from what they're showing off. Its looking like they used the time from the delays well as far as the sets, effects, and props, costumes go.

It looks like they weren't doing messaging until now. It looks like they're getting word out now to many outlets, etc. They just likely weren't ready (not unprepared but schedule wise) to do it until now. I do hope this increases though leading up to the release date. I could imagine TV commercials should starting soon. I do kinda wish this would be airing on TV just to make sure it does well but at least the first episode is. I hope this works out and we get more then one season. Of course this is assuming its good.

You do have those that are against this no matter what. I hope they realize they're just hurting their chances by wishing this dead before even seeing a single episode just because it's not 100% what they want. Or because the Axanar production didn't happen. It confuses me to no end that more people seem to be made at CBS for protecting their IP and shutting that down then at the guy and production that took all their money and didn't produce a damn thing. Hardcore Trek fans are their own worse enemies a lot of the time.

There was an article posted on twitter about reactions to the TNG before it aired and a lot of the complaints from fans at the time mirror complaints from people now about it's tone, look, etc. Things never change.

I am curious as to what CBS All Access numbers are that made them take this direction. Is it a huge risk to build up the network or was it doing well enough that they felt they could spend more money to have a more premier show on it to help it grow more? And if it doesn't do well there but does well on Netflix if they just make a pure Netflix show?

I have also been wondering if the budget does get slashed how much quality, based on what we've seen so far, would be lost if they kept the show going at a lower cost? They have a lot props, costumes, and I assume sets and special effects already done. That's a lot of upfront investment that could still be used for a few more years.

SArcher

Banned
This may be the last chance Star Trek gets on tv. So unless you are absolutely against the show or paying the $6 a month to support it for whatever reason, I feel like Star Trek fans in general need to consider these things and just support the show unless they don't care about watching the franchise die completely. The ball is in their court.

Ehh, I think fans who don't like this new approach have the right not to support it. Even if the franchise keeps going it's not what they want out of it. That's like me telling hardcore Transformers fans that they have to support the Bayformers films. I imagine the Abrams movies and Discovery are what those movies are to hardcore Transformers fans.

Used to sell the online service but I don't think it's a rush job at all from what they're showing off. Its looking like they used the time from the delays well as far as the sets, effects, and props, costumes go.

Sure, in strict production quality I agree. But this is why I say the messaging is not aligned, because it could be a 50 million dollar per episode show if it wanted, but

1. split season
2. split broadcast
3. seemingly can't offer a hook beyond "it's star trek"?

I mean, as said, people timed out on the franchise. It's not just "why should I subscribe to CBS online" but also "why should I take the time to watch this when there are a dozen super high prestige shows already on?"

I really hope the show is great, but I just can't imagine the elevator pitch I would have to make to a friend to get them to watch. Even Good Fight (the other CBS online show) had an easier sell.

Kevin

Ehh, I think fans who don't like this new approach have the right not to support it. Even if the franchise keeps going it's not what they want out of it. That's like me telling hardcore Transformers fans that they have to support the Bayformers films. I imagine the Abrams movies and Discovery are what those movies are to hardcore Transformers fans.

I just think people should be at least willing to give it a fair chance. We got like 4-5 minutes of footage so far and so many people have immediately written it off just like that.

Same thing happened with Enterprise. Now I absolutely loved that show, most Star Trek fans did not. That being said I know Star Trek fans that had passionate hatred for Enterprise that never watched a single episode and went back and watched it and completely changed their tune on it.

Enterprise was cut short because so few Star Trek fans would even give it a chance and I'm betting a large percentage of those people would have liked it a lot more had they sat down and supported it. Still my favorite Trek series personally which will likely get me a lot of hate.

This is coming from someone who owns all of Trek on the best formats possible. I own everything! At any rate, if people watch a few episodes or at least the free CBS premiere episode and don't like it at all to support it then that's fine, it happens to all of us. I just hope some of these people who are not "feeling it" will at least give it a proper chance before bailing on it.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I think the marketing team is hopeful that the pitch that this is very character-driven with a supposedly dynamic cast and deep serialization is what will help lure people.

It's easy for us to dismiss this but I bet it'll work at least a little bit. I've spoken with a few people who are not big on Trek but are interested in checking the show out because they like what Sonequa has said, etc

Kevin

I think the marketing team is hopeful that the pitch that this is very character-driven with a supposedly dynamic cast and deep serialization is what will help lure people.

It's easy for us to dismiss this but I bet it'll work at least a little bit. I've spoken with a few people who are not big on Trek but are interested in checking the show out because they like what Sonequa has said, etc

My hope is that the large international streaming launch via Netflix will help to deliver killer ratings for this show internationally which may be all CBS really needs to call this project a success story even if the CBS streaming numbers are modest at best.

I think ST fans will give it a swing, no question. The most vocal are typically the most willing to watch, even if it's just to slam it.

I think non ST fans will be a much, much harder sell. Honestly, right now, the best CBS can hope for is well, that it spreads online and gets a lot of positive buzz in the process. Word of mouth can do a lot to break an online gate, as HBO has discovered...

OmegaFax

My hope is that the large international streaming launch via Netflix will help to deliver killer ratings for this show internationally which may be all CBS really needs to call this project a success story even if the CBS streaming numbers are modest at best.

Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers like traditional cable/premium channels do ... least that's my understanding.

Kevin

Netflix doesn't release viewership numbers like traditional cable/premium channels do ... least that's my understanding.

Well I'm sure CBS will at least know how it's performing and whether or not Netflix is happy with the partnership they have going for Star Trek.

Effect

Even if that's the case I would think CBS would end up knowing how well the show was doing. Netflix being willing to continue paying for the show would be a clear sign they're happy with what they're seeing.

I'm fine if some people end up hate watching the show. We've all done it at some point. I just hope the show is good and if people do hate watch it they at least do it officially.

As for marketing I don't think we should expect the same level as a film though. To be honest I'm not sure how much is to little or to much. The last show I tracked before it came out was Supergirl (which was also CBS) and I don't recall there being a big push the way we think an important show should get. I've seen more preproduction, etc in the last few weeks for Discovery then I ever did for Supergirl. For that I mainly saw interviews, them showing up at the trade shows and magazines like Discovery has, and the TV commercials. They might have been advertisements on buses to but I assume Discovery will get that as well as a lot of shows get those in cities. That stuff usually happens fairly close to air date I think.

I will say Discovery does trend on twitter when something big does drop though. So that's a positive.

Same thing happened with Enterprise. Now I absolutely loved that show, most Star Trek fans did not. That being said I know Star Trek fans that had passionate hatred for Enterprise that never watched a single episode and went back and watched it and completely changed their tune on it.

My experience, both online and in real life discussions is a little different. I checked out of Enterprise after the first season, because to me, it just felt like a retread of a retread. It was clear the Berman & Braga didn't have anything new to say or creatively offer on Trek that they hadn't done already. I felt that DS9 had pushed the envelope of what Trek could do, and instead of capitalizing and expanding on that, they remained within their creative comfort zone.

I remember people regularly criticizing it while it was airing, but that started dying out because people started falling away after that first season, and that drop-off accelerated during the second season onward. I don't remember anyone mourning its loss when the cancellation was announced and the consensus was that this era of Trek was played out. It needed to rest for a few years, then have a new team with a fresh vision take a crack at it.

I've rewatched the entire series on Netflix and I think that the only season worth watching is the fourth one. If they had started out the show with episodes like those, it would've run for 7 seasons easily.

As far as Discovery goes, as long as its "Trek" I'll give it a shot. It's clear that there's a fresh thematic & creative vision, and the writers seem sincere when they say that they're honoring the things that make Trek "Trek," while at the same time acknowledging the realities of the current TV landscape and the compromises inherent to a network show (something that TNG & DS9 didn't have to deal with).

But if it turns out just a generic sci-fi show that's Trek In Name Only, then I'll just treat it as an Elseworlds tale that I don't care for and ignore it.

sammex

I'm totally getting a Hirogen vibe from the new Klingons. Instead of warriors they've moved them towards hunters - the armour they wear looks like bones and carapaces of creatures they've killed, blood on the face of that purple klingon, then that interview describing them as apex predators. Whether that's a good thing or not, who knows? I quite liked the hirogen.

Top Bottom