• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

sammex

dsc-ewcover-15-777x437.jpg

Gives me more Prime timeline vibes than Kelvin.

Yeah those shots look good, they've kind of struck a balance and not gone too far with that generic overtly sterilized aesthetic trope some sci-fi does (such as the JJverse films did).

Davide

Sarcophagi usually imply something ancient. I think that's a big clue. These are from the end of last year so maybe they could've changed but I think the whole ancient Klingons will be true. Probably wake up from some sort of stasis.

The awakening ancient aliens with ancient advanced technology has been pretty played out now.

The awakening ancient aliens with ancient advanced technology has been pretty played out now.

Is it advanced technology? Given how long the Jlingons, Romulans and Vulcans were pace faring before humanity their technology should be far more advanced to anything Earth has. There is a strong suggestion in Trek that technology stagnated in the quadrant until Earth disrupted the various powers. I could see the Klingons not advancing very far since the creation of these supposedly ancient ships.

So, the Entertainment Weekly issue delves into Fuller's tenure on the show.

(link goes to TrekCore's breakdown, not the article proper)

The basics:

Fuller was essentially fired
Fuller wanted an Anthology series: Each year would be a different ship, story, & time period.
Fuller wanted the aesthetic to be way more in line with the Original Series (it seems like he wanted something more like The Cage as opposed to what we have)
Fuller didn't want the director they hired for the pilot
Fuller's storyline was modified, and large chunks of it were tossed entirely

JoeM86

The basics:

Fuller wanted an Anthology series: Each year would be a different ship, story, & time period.
Fuller wanted the aesthetic to be way more in line with the Original Series (it seems like he wanted something more like The Cage as opposed to what we have)

I liked the idea of an Anthology series :(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp

The basics:

sounds good, but that would've been kind of expensive no?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Damn. I would have loved an anthology approach. That would feel fresh and right for Trek, which needs some sort of spark.

Edit: Beaten.

SpaceWolf

Banned
The basics:

This...this sounds great to me?

sounds good, but that would've been kind of expensive no?

This show isn't looking cheap as it is. And the article says something like they were planning $6mil per ep as it was.

I mean, it really does seem like Fuller got bounced, Kurtzman took over, and we're getting that Kelvinverse prequel set in the prime timeline.

Which could still be good!

It absolutely could be. Just because it's so different from what Fuller was trying to do with it doesn't mean this version of Discovery is going to be automatically bad. It still looks great, at least. And it's cast VERY well.

But it does mean also mean that a lot of the questions we been asking in this thread about this project are questions that Fuller seemed to intend on answering, and now we're getting completely different ones that maybe don't line up too well.

Ashby

The basics:

Aw fuck I was starting to get hype for Discovery but seeing what won't be has me bummed out again that Fuller isn't on this anymore

Morts

Anthology would've been great, but it would've c ome with the expectation of building new sets for ship interiors every year, and more time between seasons.

I'd settle for a new season long arc every year.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Heh, knew it. That was the feeling I got from Fuller's initial teases. I hope we get post-TNG content eventually, but it'll require Discovery being successful if it's happening anytime soon.

And by "anytime soon", I mean within the next 10-15 years.

- J - D -

Bobby, modern Trek is all about those little patterns and textures on the outfits. Christopher Pike rocked the straight-up plain sweater look back in the day but that style doesn't fly nowadays. Black pants though, that'd work.

antonz

Anthology would've been great, but it would've c ome with the expectation of building new sets for ship interiors every year, and more time between seasons.

I'd settle for a new season long arc every year.

I doubt they would have needed to build a ton of sets every year. Starfleet has a pretty standard aesthetic across ships. hey could change some of the existing sets for the sake of keeping new looks.

In other news there was an interview with Jason Issacs where he reveals he and the cast was banned from using the word God on the show. As it" does not fit Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future." That's ignoring all the times God and "gods" appeared in the shows and movies or referenced via sincere mention or just a phrase.
http://screenrant.com/star-trek-discovery-god/

tomtom94

The basics:

I mean this is what I was expecting them to say ever since he quit. Even without American Gods it looked from the outside like they were at cross-purposes.

Fuller's version sounded awesome. I'm trying to keep my expectations in check, just hope the show isn't a complete trainwreck.

Unfortunately the guy who wrote Star Trek Into Darkness is the showrunner now (also Transformers... Brothers Grimsby... The Mummy reboot... ) so its hard to properly calibrate expectations. I thought ID was absolutely terrible, and I liked the other two Star Trek movies.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Alex Kurtzman isn't the showrunner. I'm honestly not sure how that narrative popped up over these past few weeks. I guess because he was so vocal at Comic-Con?

Aaron Harberts and Gretchen Berg are the showrunners. They previously worked with Fuller on Pushing Daisies. He has a lot of praise for them and vice versa. Kurtzman is an EP.

As for Kurtzman's screenwriting track record, STiD was written by Orci & Kurtzman & Lindelof, whereas ST09 was written by Orci & Kurtzman. (Beyond was written by Pegg & Jung, but that's neither here nor there, I guess.)

yeah. Plus considering the shift from what Fuller wanted to what it actually looks like - that all by itself suggests Kurtzman is exerting more than a little control over it.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

The basics:

I mean, I'll give it a chance. but it makes me sad to read this.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's hard to say what happened with Kurtzman re: the Abramsverse, because news broke that he split off from helming the third flick before anything else occurred. Including Orci being announced as its director. According to reports, he wanted to do his own thing, IIRC. Orci was going to spearhead the whole picture.

Then... well, that didn't happen.

The basics:

Oh man, Fuller's vision sounds like it would be fantastic. A new ship and story and time every season? That's fucking fantastic. He's so ambitious and assured.

I knew that he would have the good taste to make it look like the great vision of the original series. If you are making a new Trek Show how could you not make it look like the original series? Make it look like another boring Enterprise clone? It also looks like a season of Enterprise the third one.

The trailer looks like the things I don't want out of a Trek Show. A spy, action, conflict with Klingons. TOS was so cool, grand, adventurous with crazy god like characters, historical figures, and cool parables.

I can't believe Fuller was fired. But it does make sense, because I never thought American Gods was a better gig, and was shocked he would think so. I just think its crazy you'd let such a talented and proven creator go, for this tired mircowave dinner Star Trek.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Ehh...

I knew that he would have the good taste to make it look like the great vision of the original series. If you are making a new Trek Show how could you not make it look like the original series? Make it look like another boring Enterprise clone? It also looks like a season of Enterprise the third one.

Enterprise's third season is easily my favorite, so that's not an issue for me. But honestly, I disagree with this thoroughly. I would be 100% aboard with Fuller's look, but not because I want it or even especially like it. I just don't care much about these kinds of aesthetic particulars. But the TOS aesthetic is my least favorite of them all, if I'm even thinking critically enough to rank them.

As for the anthology gig, I was torn when the rumors swirled. I'm still torn. I salivate at the thought of moving into and beyond the 24th century, because as a 90s kid, that's my jam. But the possibility exists that I wouldn't be able to watch this cast grow over the years, or that I'd only get to watch one or two characters grow, or something like that. And I fear that change.

for this tired mircowave dinner Star Trek.

Trailers look great so far. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. I'm cautious about this show, but cautiously optimistic.

Effect

While interesting this likely would have been stupid expensive. Discovery already looks like it had a decent budget. Having to make brand new sets every season, redo special effects each season as well as things have changed between eras in Star Trek, recast over and over again, new outfits each seasons, props, etc. I can fully understand if CBS went "hell no" followed by a "fuck no".

American Horror Story gets away with it because they're using real world locations or sets that aren't outside of normal everyday things and are pretty simply. I get the idea that would be attempted but for scifi that's pretty out there.

Personally I think The Cage should largely be ignored instead of trying to hold true to it. It's an outlier in terms of props, sets, etc. It should not be dictating anything when it comes to working in that era.

This show apparently carries individual episode price-tags north of $6mil

I get that this show is stupid expensive, but that's not that stupid expensive for high-end streaming. (But again, this says it went OVER the original price tag)

Also yeah, anthologies are ALWAYS more expensive. You can't amortize your sets.

I do not think anthologized Trek is a good idea, for the record.

Top Bottom