• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

Pluto

It just doesn't fit the era it's meant to fit. There's too many design elements which weren't NX and which didn't fit into subsequent designs. If you're making a point of making a show between two fixed points in time you really should pay attention to the preceding and subsequent points.
How does it not fit the era? We know almost nothing about federation starship design of that era, we've seen the constitution class and that's it and by the time of The Cage the Enterprise was already supposed to be an older ship with a history.
Discovery could easily be 20 years older or younger than the constitution class to explain the differences and let's be honest, starfleet changes its design elements all the time. Look at the movie era, connie refit, exclesior and oberth all have completely different nacelles, saucer shapes, secondary hulls.
It's the same in the 24th century, the enterprise d, defiant, voyager and enterprise e were all build within a few years and look nothing alike (and excelsiors, oberths and mirandas are still flying making them contemporaries of 24th century ships too).

The NX was more rounded, and the original connie didn't have any real angular features. This has it's own aesthetic which seems to be a complete design cul de sac from what came before and after.
So what? There isn't always a clear evolution in design, B doesn't have to look like an intermediate step between A and C.
I mentioned the Oberth class above, how does that fit the designs that came before and after?

Let's look at some Volkswagens:

1960s:
img_0507axoba.jpg

1990s:
img_0509q0qvm.jpg

2010s:
img_0508ynqbi.jpg

Does the middle one look like it fits between the others? Not really, it still happened.

brian577

Banned
How does it not fit the era? We know almost nothing about federation starship design of that era, we've seen the constitution class and that's it and by the time of The Cage the Enterprise was already supposed to be an older ship with a history.
Discovery could easily be 20 years older or younger than the constitution class to explain the differences and let's be honest, starfleet changes its design elements all the time. Look at the movie era, connie refit, exclesior and oberth all have completely different nacelles, saucer shapes, secondary hulls.
It's the same in the 24th century, the enterprise d, defiant, voyager and enterprise e were all build within a few years and look nothing alike (and excelsiors, oberths and mirandas are still flying making them contemporaries of 24th century ships too).

So what? There isn't always a clear evolution in design, B doesn't have to look like an intermediate step between A and C.
I mentioned the Oberth class above, how does that fit the designs that came before and after?

1960s:
img_0507axoba.jpg

1990s:
img_0509q0qvm.jpg

2010s:
img_0508ynqbi.jpg

Does the middle one look like it fits between the others? Not really, it still happened.

The Intrepid looks perfectly at home among other 24th century designs. The Sovereign and Defiant classes are both post Wolf 359 designs built to combat enemies like the Borg

Pluto

That's not the same model though.
Doesn't matter, it's still cars made by the same company. It's not like people care what "model" the starfleet ships are, if it doesn't fit a preconceived look it's assumed to be wrong.

And I obviously picked the cars on purpose, the old and new beetle resemble each other, with the new one being an intentional callback to the old one. People who have only seen those two probably wouldn't expect a completely different looking car in between but that doesn't make it wrong. Many of the complaints people have could be applied to the Volkswagens too, the middle one lacks roundness, no cute bug lights, why so many doors, a complete design cut de sac from what came before and after etc.

kmag

1960s:
img_0507axoba.jpg

1990s:
img_0509q0qvm.jpg

2010s:
img_0508ynqbi.jpg

You're comparing a beetle with a estate car.

1960's

420px-Vw_411_v_sst.jpg

1980's

Volkswagen-Passat_Variant-1980-1024-01.jpg

Look at military vehicles, there's almost always a direct linage to previous designs, because military production is fundamentally an iterative process. Sure you have outliers like the Nighthawk although that unique design is fundamental determined by the stealth requirements and the limitations of the technology at the time, but even stuff the like Zumwalt is extending the more angular aesthetic of the Arleigh Burke which itself is a clear iteration on the Kidd.

The Discovery is a strangely boxy design compared to the NX and the Constitution class. The deflector looks like something which fits in with the Excelsior, the bussard design is odd, and the saucer design seems a step back from the NX, and seems functionally useless. The Shenzhou more naturally fits the aesthetic.
The Oberth is and always has been a fundamentally stupid design (how do people get from the saucer to the secondary hull? Through the nacelles?)

sammex

I'm not sure how this fits with the canon but maybe the Discovery is the last of its line? Like betamax vs vhs and this is the last betamax ship before they discontinued it.

Walshicus

The Oberth only makes sense if you accept the lower hull is just cargo. There are a number of fan designs which use that modularity quite well.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I love how all the cars used to help show comparable design trends are also ugly as sin.

Lets all just be honest with each other, this is the worst looking star ship to ever headline a star trek series.

Its just bad, we dont need to make excuses or reasons for why its bad, sometimes things are just bad in life.

The Voyager is still uglier than this is.

This has some fucking great looking unis though.

I might go so far as to say maybe the best any series has had.

s_mirage

sdcc17-dscgallery-sketches-19-768x512.jpg

sdcc17-dscgallery-sketches-01-768x512.jpg

Ship looks massive.

I still think this thing looks butt ugly. In addition, it looks like it could have one of problems that ILM criticised the Ent-D for: it only looks good from a few angles. From what we've been shown, it's going to look like ass from side on, and possibly from in front or behind too (AFAIK, they haven't shown these angles at all since the teaser, and all the shots except the top down shot have been angled from below)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Everything about the ship's design, hull material, and coloring makes me think it's a test vehicle for technology, like a prototype spaceframe from Utopia Planitia that was never meant to be taken into deep space.

It would fit with the general impression that the show is about some kind of intelligence mission.

kmag

What possible function does the saucer design have? On the face of it seems bizarrely silly. Even separation doesn't work due to how the 3 sections connect to the neck.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What possible function does the saucer design have? On the face of it seems bizarrely silly. Even separation doesn't work due to how the 3 sections connect to the neck.

That's why this thing looks like a raw prototype to me. The saucer makes me think of testing for a larger saucer section compared to the NX, where a bigger module is temporarily fixed around the circumference of the original saucer.

I'm not conflicted. I don't like it at all. The gap in the saucer section, the ridiculouslying nacelles, the lack of pylons. It barely looks like a Starfleet ship.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
It's an ugly ship but I still like it anyway. Character is a good word for it. I definitely don't look at the Discovery and think "generic."

AlStrong

It looks a pizza cutter which is giving my conflicted feelings about it.

"Captain, they have what appears to be some sort of shielding that resembles 20th Century Pizza."

"Ramming speed!"

It does kinda look like the outer disc could spin independently though.

Kevin

It sounded like they are going to have a LOT of new Discovery content at Comic Con. The panel has all the actors and what not and I am pretty sure they mentioned we would be getting a lot more details and new footage.

This is likely going to be the time to really start promoting the show since it airs in just over 2 months. Surprised they waited as long as they did really. So I'm expecting a lot of cool content. :)

Woorloog

Banned
The ship looks cool and interesting. Retro, but that is not a bad thing. Mixed geometric shapes looks nice. And apparently it is kinda gold? Very nice.

I do wonder if the series will be good though...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Interesting quote regarding the Klingon Torchbearer:

From the plaque next to it, we know a bit more about Klingon culture in Discovery's era. The Torchbearer suit is both armor and an EV suit—which the full face helmet makes a bit of sense for. Apparently this version of the suit is ”worn only by a warrior chosen through a sacred ritual" and Torchbearers can ”sound The Call for all houses to unite by activating a ceremonial obelisk." We know that uniting the houses is the goal of T'Kuvma, so I wonder if we will see him don this armor.

Also, a little bit further into the article, regarding T'Kuvma:

The outfit's plaque goes further into T'Kuvma's motives, saying he ”seeks to unite the 24 great Klingon houses to halt the encroachment of others." ”Others" has to be the Federation, right? I guess it could be Romulans. or some other foe for both Starfleet and the Klingons to worry about.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Nah, I'm pretty sure they are in fact gonna be some ancient gig. Could be wrong, but yeah. I edited my post for clarity; I realize now that my quoting kinda makes it seem otherwise.

Effect

Hmm. I have to actually agree and join in on this. I don't think I've ever liked how the Enterprise D looked. I just got so used to it that it didn't annoy me. Thinking back I remember really liking the Enterprise E a good bit. I remember liking the C and B as well. Motion Picture Enterprise and A are still my favorites I think. I don't care for TOS Enterprise that much though. I know it's space and shape really doesn't matter but the saucer section of D was way to big compared to the rest of the ship.

The plaque explains that these aren’t based on TOS-style Klingons, but the “ornate, re-imagined” weapons are based on the films and The Next Generation’s Klingons. Which makes sense, even though Discovery takes place before the original series, Star Trek has always—save a throwaway line in things like Deep Space Nine’s “Trials and Tribble-ations”—just pretended that the ridge-headed Klingons from TNG are what they’ve always looked like.

either someone didn't watch Enterprise or is actively blocking it from their memory

Nah, I'm pretty sure they are in fact gonna be some ancient gig. Could be wrong, but yeah. I edited my post for clarity; I realize now that my quoting kinda makes it seem otherwise.

Ah ok, I hope they go that route and show TOS style Klingons, I think it'd be hilarious

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies

It's the only way I see it working.

They've either decided to ignore TOS klingons which is then ignoring the first series this show is based on when there has been references to them and then an in-universe explanation for. Or these are how they think Klingons should now look, which then ignores how the Klingons have looked for near 40 years.

So yea, I hope these are an ancient Klingon race or something along those lines and haven't decided to go against 50+ years of Star Trek just because.

sammex

Sarcophagi usually imply something ancient. I think that's a big clue. These are from the end of last year so maybe they could've changed but I think the whole ancient Klingons will be true. Probably wake up from some sort of stasis.

Top Bottom