• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Whats bugging me is that if "ancient" Klingons had starships, how come they didn't take over the whole quadrant way back then?
Also DS9 stated that Klingons did not have warp drives until sometime after 1947.

Morts

Whats bugging me is that if "ancient" Klingons had starships, how come they didn't take over the whole quadrant way back then?
Also DS9 stated that Klingons did not have warp drives until sometime after 1947.

Who said the ancient Klingons had warp? Also I dont remember that from DS9, what ep?

Previous

check out my new Swatch
Who said the ancient Klingons had warp? Also I dont remember that from DS9, what ep?

I'm assuming they must have warp capability to be any sort of threat to the Federation.
The episode was "Little Green Men", I actually believe I am now mistaken as in doing more research I have discovered that whole part of the cannon is a clusterfuck:

Based on Quark's line "Once we get things in order here, we'll contact the Ferengi homeworld and sell them our ship. The Ferengi will have warp drive technology centuries before Humans or Klingons or even the Vulcans.", it is established that Qo'noS and Vulcan had not yet become warp-capable by 1947. However, in Star Trek: First Contact it was established that Humans would achieve warp drive in only another 116 years from 1947, so not exactly "centuries" later. It was also established in ENT: "Carbon Creek" that Vulcans had warp-capable ships only ten years later. Moreover, it has been established in several episodes that Vulcans and Klingons possessed interstellar travel capability long before 1947. Based on ENT: "The Andorian Incident", the first known instance of Vulcan interstellar travel was around 850 BC, when the Vulcan P'Jem monastery was built outside the Vulcan system. According to TNG: "Rightful Heir", the Klingon monastery in the star system with the planet Boreth was built shortly after the death of Kahless. According to the episode VOY: "Day of Honor", Kahless lived in the 9th century. It has however not been established what propulsion technology was used for interstellar travel on these early voyages. The fact that Quark was inaccurate with his "centuries" statement might however indicate he was also inaccurate about the fact that Vulcans and Klingons were not yet warp-capable; he would presumably know approximately when his people acquired warp drive, but might know little about Klingon history. Nevertheless, the only clear suggestion in canon that Quark is wrong lies in Soval's statement in "The Forge" that "it took my people nearly 1,500 years to rebuild our world and travel to the stars. You Humans did the same in less than a century"; since Humans didn't "travel to the stars" until they invented warp drive, if Vulcans "did the same" in 1,500 years from the time of Surak, that would mean they developed warp drive in the mid-19th century.
Source: http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Little_Green_Men_(episode)

I think we can give the Discovery writers some leeway with this.

Sulik2

I'm assuming they must have warp capability to be any sort of threat to the Federation.
The episode was "Little Green Men", I actually believe I am now mistaken as in doing more research I have discovered that whole part of the cannon is a clusterfuck:

They need to completely blow away all Star trek cannon and start from scratch. It's gotten way to complicated for it's own good. And I say that as someone who likes trek extended fiction.

antonz

Sounds like what we may see is The Klingons of the Pre-TOS era discovering and using ancient Klingon stuff to unite the Klingon Houses into the Klingon Empire as we know it.

That would be somewhat logical with how Klingons have long been portrayed. Find some ancient piece of Kington Lore that allows a uniting of the Houses into a new Empire like Kahless had.

Would have been perfect to do that with ST2009, just start fresh kinda like what Disney did when they acquired Star Wars and wiping out all extended canon but leaving behind TNG/DS9 would probably cause riots

I'd be okay with that.

Most Star Trek enthusiasts would not be.

I remember being disappointed that the studio/filmmakers were too scared to just hard reboot, they had to build in that backdoor to existing canon as a sop to the old fans.

They hedged their bet when they didn't need to, basically. Especially considering the old fans quickly turned on it (almost immediately) and actively worked to shit all over what Paramount was doing shortly thereafter.

TyrantII

Have they said who designed the new ship?

Hate to pile on, but it's really terrible. I wouldn't even be against a totally new design for starfleet, but it's just clunky and uninspired. There's a reason the prototype for phase 2 was rejected in the first place.

Out of that we got the Refit Constitution and the Galaxy Class, both great designs.

This... Just looks like something I sketched when I was 12 coming up with my super l33t ideas for new ships.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Should we do a thread for the SDCC panel tonight? Starts in like 1.5 hours, I think. Yea or nay? I'm... leaning no? Star Trek isn't exactly GAF_XXX_HAWT but it's far from tiny here too. So maybe...? I'm so indecisive.

I'll make the OP if so; I've got some time to kill to do the research 'til then.

MCN

Banned

We can just chalk that up to interstellar history not being Quark's strong point.

Should we do a thread for the SDCC panel tonight? Starts in like 1.5 hours, I think. Yea or nay? I'm... leaning no? Star Trek isn't exactly GAF_XXX_HAWT but it's far from tiny here too. So maybe...? I'm so indecisive.

I'll make the OP if so; I've got some time to kill to do the research 'til then.

I think a thread for the inevitable trailer will probably suffice. We can talk about the specific deets of the panel in here.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Sadly, as far as I can tell this is yet another instance of no livestreams. Agonizingly enough, I haven't been able to locate a blog, either. I think this is gonna be kinda like the Stargate gig -- we'll have to wait for twitter reactions and a lifted press embargo.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi

How tf did I forget to check TrekMovie.

Panel opened with a trailer; hopefully we'll see it soon. Currently, Kurtzman is talking about how it's 2017 so they can't do TOS sets anymore but they can be totally respectful of the origins and follow canon. Also, Sonequa got a massive applause.

Isaacs is saying Lorca differs from other main captains in that he's "probably more fucked up."

I'll keep updating this post 'til someone else posts, so that I'm not doubling and tripling up.

Honestly with regards to silly contradictory or weird lore in Trek in the past, the best that can be done is to have common sense, recognise that writers can flub or make dumb lore decisions and new writers can rework what has come before. But it's the sort of thing that makes people get really mad...

The only issue with the current lore is density. But space is really big and there are lots of interesting stories that can be told even if the politics of the Federation in the TNG->VOY period is set in stone. Thus Discovery is a great new way of trying to explore the lore...

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Lorca is the captain of the Discovery, no?

Mhm.

Rainn Wilson's talking about how there was some online backlash to the diversity, but that's always been something Trek's had to handle. Own it, basically, is what I think he's probably saying. I wouldn't know for sure. I'm not there. Oh Prophets, you are so cruel to me sometimes.

Lots of talk right now about diversity and the importance of reflecting that. The usual Trek rhetoric. By no means bad -- goodness, no -- but nothing they haven't spoken about at-length previously.

Gretchen Berg is now saying the Klingons will speak Klingon and their culture will be expanded. "They're not the thugs of the universe." Not sure if that's a straight quote or a TrekMovie paraphrase. Klingons will be subtitled, apparently. Oh, whoa. That's actually pretty awesome.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
(Doesn't look like the trailer's up yet. I keep refreshing Google search query "Star Trek Discovery" every 30 seconds, lmao. I'll try to throw that new topic up as soon as it's available, but if someone beats me to the punch, cool.)

Akiva Goldsman, Exec Producer, went to a Trek con as a teen way back in '76. A legitimate Trekkie.

Doug Jones is prancing around imitating Saru. As a Kelpian, his feet are on hooves. He's 6'8" in the show. There's a little vid of him waltzing back and forth on TrekMovie's twitter. It's darling. He says his costume's snug. He said the costumers wanted to pad it because of his flat butt but he told them that'd make him too human.

Aaron Harberts: trying to show how conflict is solved by peace. Some mistakes along the way. End of day it's about understanding each other.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Heather Kadin is talking about how the story continues through the 15-episode first season. Anthony Rapp is saying Wilson Cruz will be his character's love interest in the show. I think he means the actor Wilson Cruz?

Anthony Rapp now reciting exomycology technobabble. (That'll win new fans.)

Sonequa is saying she loves Michelle Yeoh. Describes Burnham's and Georgeou's relationship as "close." Burnham's parents were killed; Sarek is surrogate father. In turn, he committed her to Georgeou.

James Frain says it's exploration of who Sarek was in his youth. Fascinating for a Vulcan to marry a Human. Frain says Sarek's Burnham's mentor. He says his character is "fascinating and complex."

Kurtzman: "We're aware Spock's stepsister isn't canon. Be patient with us." Also, he likes Trek more than Wars. ...lol.

Musician announcement: Jeff Russo is the composer. Previous work includes Fargo.

brian577

Banned
Kurtzman: "We're aware Spock's stepsister isn't canon. Be patient with us."

Does he know anything about Star Trek fans?

Besides
if_you_should.jpg

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Kurtzman: "There are big reveals at several points through the course of the season. I think you'll find a lot of surprises along the way."

Talking about casting Sonequa now. Same stuff we've heard before; they knew she was Burnham when they saw her, they waited for her to wrap on TWD, etc. Rainn Wilson says she's one of the kindest, most radiant and graceful people he's met. Sonequa, in turn, is saying the cast has quickly become very cohesive. They value the story, the show, and each other.

A couple of things from Goldsman; I'll just copy/paste these:

There has always been conflict in Trek. Search for solution that is not dystopian, but utopian #SDCC2017 #StarTrekDiscovery

Despite how disparate cultures, formation of family unifies. You can chase companionship/belonging #SDCC2017 #StarTrekDiscovery

Lots of enthusiastic chatter from cast and crew. Nice stuff, but to be expected obviously.

Frain describes the real drama as between characters. Rapp says the relationships are "more dynamic" than some other iterations of Trek. Jones calls the Burnham/Saru relationship "brother/sister".

Effect

Does he know anything about Star Trek fans?

Besides

It's not the first time they've done it. Sybok wasn't Spock's brother until he showed up. Spock clearly does not talk a lot about his family given how surprised Kirk and McCoy were when he finally filled them in on who he was.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
The more I see of Discovery, the more I'm convinced it could be right up there with TNG as my top Trek.

Amazing casting and vision IMO.

The more I see of Discovery, the more I'm convinced it could be right up there with TNG as my top Trek.

Amazing casting and vision IMO.

We'll see. I like my 'splosions but I do need some more dialogue heavy scenes to make a full judgement. As I said in the other thread, having a human raised in a Vulcan system dictated by logic and the control of emotions could be a very neat topic to cover.

Effect

Is the Klingon-Federation War that will be depicted in Discovery already canon?

I don't think the exact events have ever been detailed. This should however be during a period of time where things between the Federation and Klingons are super tense. I could be remembering wrong but I think it's a case where both sides were taking actions against each other on different levels and politicians were working overtime to keep things under control. There would be battles over certain areas, blockades, invading of territory, etc. No all out war between the sides (compared to something like the Fed/Romulan War or war with the Dominion, etc) but on the verge of it. No fleet vs fleet battles but more one ship vs two, etc. So the conflict in Discovery could fit in that time period without much trouble I think.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Is the Klingon-Federation War that will be depicted in Discovery already canon?

I don't think the exact events have ever been detailed. This should however be during a period of time where things between the Federation and Klingons are super tense. I could be remembering wrong but I think it's a case where both sides were taking actions against each other on different levels and politicians were working overtime to keep things under control. There would be battles over certain areas, blockades, invading of territory, etc. No all out war between the sides (compared to something like the Fed/Romulan War or war with the Dominion, etc) but on the verge of it. No fleet vs fleet battles but more one ship vs two, etc. So the conflict in Discovery could fit in that time period without much trouble I think.

I believe they have stated somewhere that the Federation and Klingon empire were in a "cold war" for about 50+ years during this time period, which lasts up till they sign the first Khitomer accord after the events of The Undiscovered Country.

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/star-trek-discovery/
Wired said:
Discovery will focus on a callow commander (Sonequa Martin-Green) rather than a sophisticated captain, though we're still getting the latter, too, played by the great Michelle Yeoh. Lantern-jawed cis-het white men have been rightly cleared off the bridge in favor of a team that more accurately reflects the galaxy (and Gene Roddenberry's vision). New ship, new crew, new strange new worlds, new life, new civilizations. Beam me up.

Well, thats certainly an opinion.

I wonder how much these critics know anything about this show, given that we know the actual captain is Jason Isaacs, the ship shown in the trailers is NOT the USS Discovery but the USS Shenzou, and most likely Michelle Yeoh dies in the pilot.

Zoe

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/star-trek-discovery/

Well, thats certainly an opinion.

I wonder how much these critics know anything about this show, given that we know the actual captain is Jason Isaacs, the ship shown in the trailers is NOT the USS Discovery but the USS Shenzou, and most likely Michelle Yeoh dies in the pilot.

I wonder just how widely known that fact is. I scrolled through the comments (ugh) and didn't see a single mention of it.

Top Bottom