• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

While interesting this likely would have been stupid expensive. Discovery already looks like it had a decent budget. Having to make brand new sets every season, redo special effects each season as well as things have changed between eras in Star Trek, recast over and over again, new outfits each seasons, props, etc. I can fully understand if CBS went "hell no" followed by a "fuck no".

American Horror Story gets away with it because they're using real world locations or sets that aren't outside of normal everyday things and are pretty simply. I get the idea that would be attempted but for scifi that's pretty out there.

Personally I think The Cage should largely be ignored instead of trying to hold true to it. It's an outlier in terms of props, sets, etc. It should not be dictating anything when it comes to working in that era.

You would have to have different casts, sets, makeup, props, uniforms for every season. It's insanely expensive. For the most part, AHS is stupid expensive but they can get away with it because it's a modern setting. Same with like an American Crime.

And turns out, it seems like it was.

It seems like it was because CBS thought it might be?

Nah.

I mean, this show might still be good, but I don't see what these guys have done to engender the level of trust in their storytelling instincts over what Bryan Fuller has demonstrated over the course of his career.

This could still be a good show the way it is, and I'm open to that.

But I'm not gonna agree that CBS bringing him on and booting him off was 100% the right call, either. Much less that his approach would have been a "disaster."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I do not think that when you launch a new franchise on a new network, you lobby for a model where every season is a new cast and crew. That's a recipe for disaster.

And turns out, it seems like it was.
We don't even know what the metrics for success are though, since CBS will never release numbers (short of them being record breaking).

Would do you all mean by "The Cage"?! I dont know what that means..
The very first Star Trek pilot that predates the Kirk Star Trek that we know.

Effect

Would do you all mean by "The Cage"?! I dont know what that means..

The Cage is the original pilot for the original series. It's where the character Captain Pike comes from. The second pilot became the first episode of the original series and that has Kirk and the rest of the original series crew. The Cage was eventually used as backstory for the character of Pike when they reused the character to show what happen several years prior to Kirk taking command of the Enterprise.. They flashback to that original episode and mission. Sometime later I think it was eventually aired but not sure on the details on that.

It seems like it was because CBS thought it might be?

Nah.

I mean, this show might still be good, but I don't see what these guys have done to engender the level of trust in their storytelling instincts over what Bryan Fuller has demonstrated over the course of his career.

This could still be a good show the way it is, and I'm open to that.

But I'm not gonna agree that CBS bringing him on and booting him off was 100% the right call, either. Much less that his approach would have been a "disaster."

I think it would've been a financial disaster, nonstop -- I also am not okay with having a Trek show where the cast goes away every season and you don't get attached to them like a family. That doesn't appeal to me as a Trek fan.

brian577

Banned
Are there any fan mock ups of what a modern TOS style bridge would look like?

I think this Phase 2 concept art would work perfectly with perhaps a few minor changes.
3s8HKRm.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it would've been a financial disaster, nonstop -- I also am not okay with having a Trek show where the cast goes away every season and you don't get attached to them like a family. That doesn't appeal to me as a Trek fan.
Star Trek as we know it doesn't support serialized stories though, and I think a season long anthology series would have been a decent compromise. I suppose they could do a new serialized story each season. But this assumes CBS All Access is still a thing in 2019. lol

Star Trek as we know it doesn't support serialized stories though, and I think a season long anthology series would have been a decent compromise. I suppose they could do a new serialized story each season. But this assumes CBS All Access is still a thing in 2019. lol

I am okay with serialized Trek -- we already saw that in DS9. But I get invested in the crew and the cast and watching them together over time and the family aspect of it all is what appeals to me. I do not love changing crews every season.

And either way, it's a financial non-starter. No shit CBS said no.

antonz

CBS' entire paywalled streaming network venture is way more suspect than whatever Fuller was pitching.

Yep they better hope they do amazing on Netflix. Netflix has been very vocal recently on the end of them throwing money at failing shows just to keep production slots filled.
If Star Trek does not deliver CBS could lose pretty much all funding for the show and CBS All Access wont be paying 6 million an episode.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I just don't know how I'd end up feeling about the probability of a rotating cast. Character development is a big deal for me and DS9, at least, afforded it fairly well.

Now, I did write some pieces on the anthology rumor back in the day when it was swirling. My takeaway was that if the Discovery crew gets vaulted forward in time I'd be so, so, so down for it. Otherwise, I would be less eager, but hey, it's still the first Trek for TV in 12 years, so I would still be damned giddy.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I just don't know how I'd end up feeling about the probability of a rotating cast. Character development is a big deal for me and DS9, at least, afforded it fairly well.

Now, I did write some pieces on the anthology rumor back in the day when it was swirling. My takeaway was that if the Discovery crew gets vaulted forward in time I'd be so, so, so down for it. Otherwise, I would be less eager, but hey, it's still the first Trek for TV in 12 years, so I would still be damned giddy.
For me, I find the TOS era boring and an anthology would have at least offered them the chance to do something different. Now they're stuck there for the next few years.

Effect

For me, I find the TOS era boring and an anthology would have at least offered them the chance to do something different. Now they're stuck there for the next few years.

I think the era is only as boring as the writers' imaginations. There is a lot that can be done with it now that tech has improved. I think this is one of the reasons why they even wanted to mess around there in the first place. The era itself shouldn't be treated as some sacred cow that some fans have made it out to be. The Enterprise was only one ship among many operating during that era. There is a lot they can do.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the era is only as boring as the writers' imaginations. There is a lot that can be done with it now that tech has improved. I think this is one of the reasons why they even wanted to mess around there in the first place. The era itself shouldn't be treated as some sacred cow that some fans have made it out to be. The Enterprise was only one ship among many operating during that era. There is a lot they can do.
There's so much they CAN do... but instead, we're getting Klingons and Vulcans again.

Effect

There's so much they CAN do... but instead, we're getting Klingons and Vulcans again.

Using the same aliens doesn't have to immediately mean boring. How they're used is going to be extremely important. We only have one Vulcan so far. If they're going to flesh out the Klingons in a big way then bring it on I say. Out of all the Trek species there is so much more to them then them being the "bad guy warriors".

Their use also doesn't mean the lack of new aliens, planets, etc. We have a new alien species in the cast after all.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Using the same aliens doesn't have to immediately mean boring. How they're used is going to be extremely important. We only have one Vulcan so far. If they're going to flesh out the Klingons in a big way then bring it on I say. Out of all the Trek species there is so much more to them then them being the "bad guy warriors".

Their use also doesn't mean the lack of new aliens, planets, etc. We have a new alien species in the cast after all.
Klingons are the most overplayed species in Trek though. They've literally been on every iteration of the show and most of the movies. lol

The other thing is that as a prequel, they're bound to stuff like making the main character related to Spock and whatnot. It's the same crutch that the new movies are using.

I'm glad the reboots haven't really involved the Klingons other than ITD and they were barely shown.

Enterprise B or C era show would have been a nice compromise if they were afraid to do a post-TNG show.

Although maybe the main character would be Spock's missing daughter instead of his sister or whatever. lol

Yes! I would love to see first contact with the Cardassians, the Tomed Incident, the aftermath of the Khitomer Massacre etc.

Yup, I think that would have been a nice compromise,

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Star Trek Discovery will be "a hard PG-13."

https://www.trektoday.com/content/2017/07/star-trek-discovery-will-be-pg-13-plus/

According to Showrunner Aaron Harberts, expect the show at times to be a “hard PG-13.”

“Every writer’s impulse when you get to work on the streaming shows with no parameters is to go crazy,” said Harberts. “But then you look at things like: How does nudity play on Trek? Eh, it feels weird. How does a lot of [profanity] on Trek? Not so great. Are there moments where it merits it that we’re trying to push here and there? I would say we’re trying to push more by having the type of complicated messed-up characters who aren’t necessarily embraced on broadcast.

I’m not saying we’re not doing some violent things or doing a tiny bit of language. But what’s important to the creative team is the legacy of the show — which is passed down from mother to daughter, from father to son, from brother to brother. We want to make sure we’re not creating a show that fans can’t share with their families. You have to honor what the franchise is. I would say we’re not going much beyond hard PG-13.”

That's fine. There's enough gritty, raw sci-fi out there if you want that fix. They're right; a lot of that stuff would feel odd for a Trek show if it was pushsed too far.

Fuchsdh

I liked the song fine, but vocalists are always going to be divisive, and non-orchestral music will come with different baggage as well.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
And I will see my dreams come alive at night. I will touch the sky. And they're not gonna hold me down no more, no, they're not gonna change my mind.

'Cause I've got this
Song stuck in
My head since just before 9/11
I've been in
capable
Of removing it

I can't wait
'Til I hear
The first new theme in 16 years 'cause
I'll be free
Of this hell

Free of this hell

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
God damn this thread for putting that song back in head lol.

Really looking forward to this Trek, it's looking exceedingly good IMO.

TDLink

The Star Trek Enterprise theme was fucking great and perfectly fit that show. I dunno what you guys are going on about.

jb1234

And I will see my dreams come alive at night. I will touch the sky. And they're not gonna hold me down no more, no, they're not gonna change my mind.

'Cause I've got this
Song stuck in
My head since just before 9/11
I've been in
capable
Of removing it

I can't wait
'Til I hear
The first new theme in 16 years 'cause
I'll be free
Of this hell

Free of this hell

Haha. Torture, for sure.

So good. One of the best film scores ever written.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I slightly prefer the Enterprise version of Faith of the Heart compared to the Star Trek:Enterprise version of it.

You know, come to think of it if you actually separate the show like that you greatly raise the average of Star Trek:Enterprise...and drastically lower that of Enterprise.

SArcher

Banned
I don't think I would have been particularly happy with an anthology show because there would have been less character development if we got a new crew every season.

IT'S BEEN A LONNNG ROAAAD

You know the funny thing is with the ENT intro, everyone hated it at first, but people just accepted it as whatever and got over it from what I remember, then in the second season (or third I can't remember) they changed the intro up again (still same lyrics but sung differently and different instrumentation) and made it even worse lol.

Top Bottom