• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
So lame this won't be on tv, guess wait till all eps out then sign up for a free trial

Briarios

Klingons look that way because (rumor/leak)
they may have been chilling in an ark/sarcophagus ship for a very long time
. Willing to bet that the ones that show up on the viewscreen are more conventional-looking.

Also the editing on Yeoh's "time to get a command of your own" line is horrendous.

If this is the case, and modern Klingons still exist, I will withdraw my complaints ... I would very much like this to be good, I'm just not yet encouraged.

Wasn't there a whole issue about women not being allowed to be captains pre TOS, but everyone keeps calling Michelle Yeoh captain? Also weird that no shots of Jason Isaacs, who I thought is the captain, unless they have mixed up the cast again.

Visually looks absolutely stunning, but the dialogue was very cringe-y in parts. I have a feeling the writing is going to drag this show down :( Then again, season 1 of pretty much every Star Trek show has been pretty bad so might not be a big deal.

This is also only on CBS All Access, which is $6/mo in USA. Not sure how its being distributed outside the USA though. You won't catch it on cable/satellite in America though.

Goldmund

You know what I loved most about The Next Generation? The bridge was always evenly and brightly lit. I don't know what kind of thinking was behind it, artistic or budgetary, but it fit. A tiny, perfectly bright spot of light in an all-encompassing darkness. A lantern somebody lit, he himself mostly remaining obscured. You weren't supposed to look at the light, maybe worrying that it could flicker or go out, or worry that its carrier could worry that it might--you were looking at what it illuminated. The bridge wasn't the issue, things were smoothed and settled here; the bridge would cast its light on the issues, exploring their intricacies and troubling nuances by having almost none itself, by just allowing its light to move where it moved, get refracted, vanish into the crevices of the object observed. Every character had her or his purpose, but on the bridge the intent of the crew was just to carry that light forward, not to judge, just to see as it can be seen.

Zoe

Wasn't there a whole issue about women not being allowed to be captains pre TOS, but everyone keeps calling Michelle Yeoh captain? Also weird that no shots of Jason Isaacs, who I thought is the captain, unless they have mixed up the cast again.

She was announced to be the captain of a different ship. The main ship in the show is Discovery.

Wasn't there a whole issue about women not being allowed to be captains pre TOS, but everyone keeps calling Michelle Yeoh captain?

Not really, and even if this were firmly established in canon (it's not), this should never be a thing that ever should be abided by in a 2017 Trek series, even if it takes place pre-TOS.

antonz

Show will live and die on the hardcore trek fans. Enterprise improved quite a bit before it ended but it dragged its corpse to that end as the Fanbase abandoned it in Season 1.

Can already tell this show is going to send a lot of that fanbase into fits

gaiadyne

You know what I loved most about The Next Generation? The bridge was always evenly and brightly lit. I don't know what kind of thinking was behind it, artistic or budgetary, but it fit. A tiny, perfectly bright spot of light in an all-encompassing darkness. A lantern somebody lit, he himself mostly remaining obscured. You weren't supposed to look at the light, maybe worrying that it could flicker or go out, or worry that its carrier could worry that it might--you were looking at what it illuminated. The bridge wasn't the issue, things were smoothed and settled here; the bridge would cast its light on the issues, exploring their intricacies and troubling nuances by having almost none itself, by just allowing its light to move where it moved, get refracted, vanish into the crevices of the object observed. Every character had her or his purpose, but on the bridge the intent of the crew was just to carry that light forward, not to judge, just to see as it can be seen.

I have this problem with a lot of modern tv shows and movies. Everything is too damn dark.

Show will live and die on the hardcore trek fans.

Yea they know that's not a good idea seeing how poorly those movies and the declining ratings each series had gone through since TNG. They want a new generation of fans, they want people who went to the new movies, new fans, that's primarily the likely motivator for all these fancy visuals

antonz

That's a losing proposition from jump.

Which is probably why everything looks like the movies that people actually go to.

Even then the movies aren't doing hot. Star Trek has an identity crisis its handlers do not know how to fix. Which is apparent from this show its JJverse but its not to try and win the fans over

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought Michelle Yeoh wasn't the captain, or did I just misremember that. lol

I'm actually glad they're letting Yeoh just sound like she normally does, without trying to force her into an accent that she would probably be bad at.

Even then the movies aren't doing hot. Star Trek has an identity crisis its handlers do not know how to fix. Which is apparent from this show its JJverse but its not to try and win the fans over

Even Beyond with it's mediocre performance, still made like 5 times what the highest grossing pre-JJ movie did.

Looks like a fan project w/ a big ass budget

Still better than Voyager

Voyager was good, shush.

On topic, I'm not sure about this yet. I hate the modern sheen this has all over it. Much prefer the clean and brighter look of TNG. Times move on I guess, but at least we're getting a Trek.

gaiadyne

I'm confused. But then again, I thought the show was an anthology series a few weeks ago. It feels like all the initial details were wrong...

I'm guessing what they show in this trailer and probably the first episode is Michael's previous ship. Assuming they didn't change anything the name of that ship is the Shenzhou

firehawk12

Subete no aware
pre tos female captains are canon, enterprise had a female as the captain of the NX-02 Columbia iirc.
The final episode of TOS will forever be an albatross on Star Trek canon. lol

I'm guessing what they show in this trailer and probably the first episode is Michael's previous ship. Assuming they didn't change anything the name of that ship is the Shenzhou
Oh she gets demoted then? I wasn't really paying attention admittedly.

Fuchsdh

Not really, and even if this were firmly established in canon (it's not), this should never be a thing that ever should be abided by in a 2017 Trek series, even if it takes place pre-TOS.

Yeah "Turnabout Intruder" is one of those weird episodes that people seem to think is much worse than it actually is. It's equally possible to read her throwaway line about women not being able to command as an exaggeration or just her coming up with a justification for her own failing. Either way it's not really a bedrock point in Star Trek canon so as long as things are consistent (lol) in the important aspects there's no point to sweating it.

The visual stuff to me is pretty atrocious, because it looks like they just mashed up The Expanse with Mass Effect. They could have hewn much closer to the established style and still made it appropriately futuristic, so it's a shame they went the "safe" route.

Memory

The cast is awesome and the budget is there, my interest just doubled. Please let this be good, its been so long since we have had a good Star Trek show.

gaiadyne

The final episode of TOS will forever be an albatross on Star Trek canon. lol

Oh she gets demoted then? I wasn't really paying attention admittedly.

No demotion but something must happen to the crew of that ship which leads her to become part of the Discovery crew. They haven't really told us the full story but from the casting Michelle Yeoh's character is listed as the captain of the Shenzhou while Michael is the first officer of the Discovery. It's totally possible that they changed things though

s_mirage

I'm going to bet that Yeoh's character is killed and/or the Shenzhou's destroyed, Martin-Green's character is either partially at fault or just blamed, and that's why she's not promoted to Captain but moved sideways to the Discovery.

Matt

It's pretty firm. There was an entire TOS episode about it. I don't know how something could be more canon.

It obviously should be written out of existence, but just because the show ignores it doesn't mean fans should be blind to Gene's mistakes.

It's pretty firm. There was an entire TOS episode about it. I don't know how something could be more canon.

It obviously should be written out of existence, but just because the show ignores it doesn't mean fans should be blind to Gene's mistakes.

It was not. She just said that she hadn't been promoted, and people read into that it was because she was a woman. Gene did a lot of stupid shit, but it's not "pretty firm" nor couldn't "be more canon". It was a throwaway line that could be read many different ways!

I'm the founding member of the Gene Roddenberry Was A Bad Person Club, but this wasn't one of those things.

Matt

It was not. She just said that she hadn't been promoted, and people read into that it was because she was a woman. Gene did a lot of stupid shit, but it's not "pretty firm" nor couldn't "be more canon". It was a throwaway line that could be read many different ways!

I'm the founding member of the Gene Roddenberry Was A Bad Person Club, but this wasn't one of those things.
She says "Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women."

Yes, the new series should ignore that. But it's pretty clear what the intention was.

DiscoJer

The original pilot for Star Trek, The Cage, was set aboard the Enterprise in this era (IIRC, that was set 11 years before TOS, while this is 10). It was later turned into a 2 part episode, so it's canon (as far as TOS goes).

The trailer looks nothing like the Cage in terms of ships, uniforms, equipment, etc

Beyond that, they throw out a lot of other stuff in TOS when it's not convenient. Like in TOS, it was a key plot point that Romulans looked identical to Vulcans. Some random crew member thought Spock was a Romulan spy. Yet in TNG, suddenly Romulans no longer look like Vulcans, but have these Vs stuck on their foreheads. (which doesn't even make sense in TNG terms, since Romulans were still related to Vulcans and you don't evolve giant Vs on your forehead in only a few thousand years. If ever, since there doesn't seem to be any valid purpose for them, other than to look goofy)

So I think they could overlook a silly rule from on TOS episode (which frankly, was rather jarring then, much less now). Especially as TOS arguably contradicted itself, Uhura was in the command chair at least once and again, back in the Cage, the 1st Officer was a woman (Chapel)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
She says "Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women."

Yes, the new series should ignore that. But it's pretty clear what the intention was.

I mean, the episode was clearly a comment on sexism - particularly when they were supposedly told that Majel Barrett couldn't be in a command role - but it's one of those things where the writers didn't think about continuity or the effect it would have on future spinoffs.

Okuda's text commentary for the episode even mentions this and how they had to "decanonize" it with Star Trek Enterprise.

Top Bottom