• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek Discovery - official trailer in OP, 15 episodes ordered, premieres 9/24

Matt

The original pilot for Star Trek, The Cage, was set aboard the Enterprise in this era (IIRC, that was set 11 years before TOS, while this is 10). It was later turned into a 2 part episode, so it's canon (as far as TOS goes).

The trailer looks nothing like the Cage in terms of ships, uniforms, equipment, etc

Beyond that, they throw out a lot of other stuff in TOS when it's not convenient. Like in TOS, it was a key plot point that Romulans looked identical to Vulcans. Some random crew member thought Spock was a Romulan spy. Yet in TNG, suddenly Romulans no longer look like Vulcans, but have these Vs stuck on their foreheads.

So I think they could overlook a silly rule from on TOS episode (which frankly, was rather jarring then, much less now). Especially as TOS arguably contradicted itself, Uhura was in the command chair at least once and again, back in the Cage, the 1st Officer was a woman (Chapel)
Of course they should ignore it for this show. I just think calling its canon nature in to question whitewashes the facts. It was done, it's ridiculous, and we're going to ignore it.

Matt

I mean, the episode was clearly a comment on sexism - particularly when they were supposedly told that Majel Barrett couldn't be in a command role - but it's one of those things where the writers didn't think about continuity or the effect it would have on future spinoffs.

Okuda's text commentary for the episode even mentions this and how they had to "decanonize" it with Star Trek Enterprise.
That's all fine, i'm glad they have retconed it, but that's what it is, a retcon.

Matt

Well, similarly with all the women wearing short skirts and gogo boots. lol

I mean, it is what it is.
Yeah, it is. Which is fine, such changes are understandable and appropriate. Like I said before, calling this change not a retcon to me just feels like it's trying to cover up Gene's mistakes (I don't think that's what you are doing, I mean in general).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, it is. Which is fine, such changes are understandable and appropriate. Like I said before, calling this change not a retcon to me just feels like trying to cover up Gene's mistakes (I don't think that's what you are doing, I mean in general).
Well, if his son's documentary is any indication, Gene wasn't even working on the show during S3 anyway and just collecting paychecks.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He got the Story By credit for "Turnabout Intruder."

Seems he wrote the outline in April of '68.
Oh well. lol

Besides, I think any mythology around Gene has been dispelled once you read about his constant womanizing and infidelity. I actually admire his son for addressing that, even though it's clear it was a subject Barrett didn't want to talk about.

SlickVic

It's pretty difficult to judge how a show is going to turn out based on a short trailer. But that being said, I liked this trailer a lot, and I am excited to see more (and hopefully a premiere date soon). It will be nice to see a new Trek show after such a long time.

GavinUK86

South Korean Netflix trailer:

https://twitter.com/0101je/status/865018670761693185

Sort of confirms that
Burnham is part Vulcan.

Same as the english one, just the scenes are reordered. The tone doesn't have the same impact though.

I think it's obvious she's
part Vulcan

I also think Philippa (Michelle Yeoh)
is going to die pretty early on, maybe along with the ship
and that's how Michael get's her own ship.

Matt

Oh well. lol

Besides, I think any mythology around Gene has been dispelled once you read about his constant womanizing and infidelity. I actually admire his son for addressing that, even though it's clear it was a subject Barrett didn't want to talk about.
He was kinda a gross dude in a lot of ways.

She says "Your world of starship captains doesn't admit women."

Yes, the new series should ignore that. But it's pretty clear what the intention was.

You're right, I hadn't watched the episode in a while and I was misremembering.

I also think we should just forget that it ever happened because that's a shitty thing!

Fuchsdh

He was kinda a gross dude in a lot of ways.

He dreamed a much better future while still being shackled to the failings of the present. In that respect he's like a whole lot of artists.

Also, he really had that "we're evolved humans, we've moved past monogamy" slimy dude things going on. He'd fit right in with some people these days :p

Matt

He dreamed a much better future while still being shackled to the failings of the present. In that respect he's like a whole lot of artists.

Also, he really had that "we're evolved humans, we've moved past monogamy" slimy dude things going on. He'd fit right in with some people these days :p
Eh, I think it goes beyond just that a bit. He essentially stole royalties from Alexander Courage, for example.

It was also more then just his cheating on his wife. He sexually harassed and exploited multiple women.

He was a deeply flawed man who had some good ideas, along with a lot of bad ones.

TheXbox

Nice budget but the photography is atrocious. Just a series of dutch angles awash in cheap lens flare. Some TJ Max Dan Mindel shit.

Davide

Looks very meh. And the visuals look to be borrowing from Mass Effect 2. Lens flares which I love should be a JJ universe thing.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Oh goddammit "lol lensflare lol" is back isn't it.

ugh

Me Versus The Complaints She Told Me Not To Worry About:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I dig it. Hopefully will be fun with some smart writing to back up the production budget. Not much to gleam with the trailer, but I will give it a chance.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Interesting they are going in a more gritty direction instead of the clean Ikea style utopia future look of the older shows.

Unfortunately for Star Trek Discovery, Battlestar Galactica exists.

Fliesen

looks really neat - i'm not sure i'm a fan of those very dark aesthetics of the bridge. We're gonna spend a lot of time looking at that set, i guess, so i'd love it to look pleasing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
looks really neat - i'm not sure i'm a fan of those very dark aesthetics of the bridge. We're gonna spend a lot of time looking at that set, i guess, so i'd love it to look pleasing.
It feels like they're trying to find a way to bridge the Enterprise designs with the TOS designs.

I still find it funny how Starfleet basically changes uniforms every decade though. Does the US Military do that? lol

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I still find it funny how Starfleet basically changes uniforms every decade though.

Near as I can tell (I love Trek, but minutia isn't really my strongest suit) the TOS movie era uniforms -- you know, those studly red outfits seen in Wrath of Khan through The Undiscovered Country -- actually lasted for like 70 years! I guess they knew they had a pretty good thing going.
Also, there's no show or film set anywhere between 2294 and 2364, so there's that, too.

Kevin

As a long time Star Trek fan, I feel like this series is pretty much everything I would want from a modern Star Trek show.

It seems like so many people are upset because it doesn't look exactly like the 80s Star Trek or whatever and I for one like that they made the series feel fresh again with modern design.

A 2 minute trailer isn't entirely enough to gauge the writing quality and acting quality, etc but there is enough here that I am pretty optimistic about the final product.

I think it's going to be an awesome show!

Fliesen

It feels like they're trying to find a way to bridge the Enterprise designs with the TOS designs.

I still find it funny how Starfleet basically changes uniforms every decade though. Does the US Military do that? lol

I've grown to accept that they deal with uniforms, not like other military organizations, but like the olympic national team. Different outfit, yet similar in design, every four years.
In a society where money doesn't exist anymore, you still gotta keep your fashion designers busy.

Also, often times, there's decades between those shows and movies, so ... i guess it's alright.

Top Bottom