• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

TrekMovie published more preview coverage including a link to a different element that might prove more divisive. Entirely spoiler tagging this bit and ask that others do the same. It’s not a Story leak or spoiler:

They drop F-bombs in Discovery.

I know that we’ve had Lily Sloane shout bullshit and Kirk in Trek 09 utter the same word but this feels like the first time the F-bomb hit the airwaves on Trek. I’m pretty sure purists are going to go crazy over this.

https://trekmovie.com/2017/09/23/ne...hotos-plus-producers-talk-canon-fit-and-more/

I can’t wait so see this (tomorrow morning)

Oooh shit.

I don't mind swearing but it depends on the context/situation, it would be odd for casual swearing. Picard and O'Brien (who also love a lot of old human history culture) sometimes use "old-fashioned" expletives though, Picard quite a few times swore in French in TNG.

Sulik2

The problem with adding swearing is this is the first trek tv show in over a decade. Now if the chance to capture new and younger fans and you immediately start limiting your audience with language. Especially when the movies are pg13, the show should be too.

It really ticks me off the are doing weekly showings and not just dumping the entire show in at once. Digital should always be full release the era of weekly tv needs to die.

The problem with adding swearing is this is the first trek tv show in over a decade. Now if the chance to capture new and younger fans and you immediately start limiting your audience with language. Especially when the movies are pg13, the show should be too.

It really ticks me off the are doing weekly showings and not just dumping the entire show in at once. Digital should always be full release the era of weekly tv needs to die.

Keeps it in the spotlight longer. It’s event television.

Also, they haven’t finished production in post just yet.

Never mind! For some reason I thought it was only airing via streaming.

Edit again: only the first episode is on TV. I'm out. Get better, CBS.

I was so mixed and am still mixed on this.
I have it set to Record tonight. However, I am leaning towards forgoing that and just watching it on CBS All-Access.

I was always curious as to why the show got a TV-MA rating, I guess now we know.

I don't mind swearing but it depends on the context/situation, it would be odd for casual swearing. Picard and O'Brien (who also love a lot of old human history culture) sometimes use "old-fashioned" expletives though, Picard quite a few times swore in French in TNG.

I definitely remember Picard talking about making an ass of himself in front of children.
I also remember the legendary "Oh shit" from Data in Generations.

But that's about all I can remember aside from stuff like "damn" or "bloody" and what have you.

DBT85

I'm OK with people swearing.

The exterior of the Sovereign class looks badass but I'm not really a fan of the interior designs. Just feels very stark and uninviting (at least compared to the 1701-D).
But the sovereign is a warship, not an exploratory vessel.

The worst starfleet design is voyager imo.

I understand it was built and designed for long-term exploration, but the deisgn is still kinda meh.

pitchfork

"Resistance is futile motherfucker!" - there's your season 2 OT title

I'm all for some grit in Star Trek.

I'll confess I've never been the biggest Trek fan
Star Wars is my jam
but looking forward to seeing how this pans out

Will be watching on Netflix UK

Arttemis

So this isn't being aired on CBS beyond the first and maybe second episode?

Fuck you, CBS. Holding Star Trek hostage behind your paywall with nothing else of value is one way to push me way the fuck away.

Coxy100

Banned

Star Wars is my jam

Same, couldn’t care less if there is some language in it. Trek has to move with the times and not just attract their core audience if people want this to survive. It has to be realistic.

I love all of the series - hell even Enterprise so I can’t wait. Voyager is probably my favourite - but Picard is by far and way the best captain ever.

Netflix UK for me too.

I'm really excited for this, but the way seemingly everyone, even at CBS, is ignoring DS9 is honestly baffling

EDIT: well, especially at CBS to be honest

So strange that the only country really getting fucked over this is the US. Here in Canada I just watch it Space and everyone else uses Netflix. What a silly business decision.

Effect

Even if it was on Netflix here in the US people would still have an issue I think. The idea of paying anything seems to upset some people. I just pretend like I'm paying to see a film. It's cheaper and I get more content. It's really not that expensive or that more expensive even if you have Netflix already. I wish it was on Netflix. Don't get me wrong. This could have ended up on Showtime and then people really would have been upset considering how much that cost. The 6 or 10 dollars a month being asked for 4 or 5 episodes is a decent deal. Dollar and change per episode I think.

I do hope CBS has good numbers. I want this to be a success so we get more Trek.

Even if it was on Netflix here in the US people would still have an issue I think. The idea of paying anything seems to upset some people. I just pretend like I'm paying to see a film. It's cheaper and I get more content. It's really not that expensive or that more expensive even if you have Netflix already. I wish it was on Netflix. Don't get me wrong. This could have ended up on Showtime and then people really would have been upset considering how much that cost. The 6 or 10 dollars a month being asked for 4 or 5 episodes is a decent deal. Dollar and change per episode I think.

I do hope CBS has good numbers. I want this to be a success so we get more Trek.

The difference is that Netflix has other things I will watch. CBS All Access doesn't (and yes, I looked).

Star Wars is my jam

Same, couldn’t care less if there is some language in it. Trek has to move with the times and not just attract their core audience if people want this to survive. It has to be realistic.

I love all of the series - hell even Enterprise so I can’t wait. Voyager is probably my favourite - but Picard is by far and way the best captain ever.

Netflix UK for me too.

does Netflix update at some standard time or is it a "midnight tonight" deal etc?

alternade

Yeah I wouldn't be shocked if hiding the show behind CBS' doomed streaming service causes historically low ratings and Star Trek is shelves for another 5+ years. Such a dumb business move.

Big cable has learned NOTHING these past few years.

I'm sure I'll be watching this through other means than CBS

D i Z

Please let this be good. And let it have crazy numbers on tv and shite numbers online. I'm still holding out for a chance that they reverse this madness.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
No title sequence for the premiere then
no Michelle Yeoh
in the credits going forward, is my bet.

She's part of the main cast, though. Not saying she won't die, but I doubt they'll kill her off in the first episode.

Top Bottom