• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Trek: Discovery |OT| To Boldly Stream Where No One Has Streamed Before

CD93

Neo Member
She's part of the main cast, though.

Is she, though? She's the captain of a ship our main character presumably isn't going to be serving on for very long... and the second part of the opener is named after a battle. This war has gotta start with a bang, right?

Pluto

Is she, though? She’s the captain of a ship our main character presumably isn’t going to be serving on for very long... and the second part of the opener is named after a battle. This war has gotta start with a bang, right?
But we don't know the structure of the season, they could do flashbacks to the Shenzou even after SMG joins Discovery.

Well Enterprise S1-2 no longer has to hold that "worst Star Trek intro" L. "Throwing Trek imagery in hopes of getting fanboys excited while generic strings play in background" takes the cake on that one.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I'll do what I do with every other show I watch; watch the title sequence before the pilot then skip it before every other episode. I've grown to hate title sequences.

Well Enterprise S1-2 no longer has to hold that "worst Star Trek intro" L. "Throwing Trek imagery in hopes of getting fanboys excited while generic strings play in background" takes the cake on that one.

The images in Enterprise were great. It was the music that was terrible.

AntChum

I never even skipped Enterprise's opening titles, but Discovery's are doing nothing for me. It lacks the oomph and sense of adventure that even the more sombre DS9 possessed. Also, can I have a little bit of space in my intro sequence, guys?

Ah well, I'm still excited to check out the first episodes tomorrow.

It's well produced but yeah, just images of random nostalgia objects. 100% forgettable.

Yeahhhhhhhhh not the greatest into sequence I have ever seen and they kinda butchered the iconic trek theme just as an extra bonus. I dunno just not feeling this, none of the recent Trek show attempts have managed to recapture the magic of TOS and TNG. I honestly can't see this fairing much better.

Yeahhhhhhhhh not the greatest into sequence I have ever seen and they kinda butchered the iconic trek theme just as an extra bonus. I dunno just not feeling this, none of the recent Trek show attempts have managed to recapture the magic of TOS and TNG. I honestly can't see this fairing much better.

Recent trek shows... This is the first trek series in 12 years.

That said, I'm just tired of the constant prequels. I'm not sure why show runners are so afraid of treading new ground. Generation's greatest gift was moving past the Klingon war narrative. Yes, the movies are where that happened, but TNG could have EASILY just restarted the war, but instead expanded the stories. By DS9, Klingons were not just war hungry, we had Klingons who were content with being chefs and actually enjoying a peaceful existence.

Now imagine them doing something like that with the borg. The collapse of the collective and the trillions of displaced peoples would lead to all sorts of super interesting storylines. Instead it's just retreads... retreads where we already know the end results even.

The Leewit

Neo Member
Loved the new opening sequence. Definitely new trek in style and boldness. And the wonderful musical score complements the creative visuals nicely. Thank you, no more starship worshipping sequences, like the past iterations.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Really dislike the opening sequence. I was hoping for something more effective than a hotchpotch collection of Star Trek props presented in an ill-fitting parchment-like background.

Looks like they just grabbed some of the CGI models and added a filter to them. Good thing I didn't get the subscription, or I'd be disappointed already.

oon

Banned
Title sequence

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/911998929767620609

For outside US: https://streamable.com/necfn

Interestingly... no names. Makes me wonder what they're hiding.

Oh dear. They hopped on the artsy-imagery opening bandwagon but in a very uninspired obvious way, it's just not resonating..."look, it's the things you like! Phasers! Vulcan Salute!"

Still really looking forward to it but damn. It'd help if it had a catchy theme or something...I can't remember any of the musical cues from this opening except for the main Trek theme they threw in there.

It kinda puts me to sleep more than getting me hyped up for the episode - some Trek openings were low-key too but they still conveyed a sense of awe that this one sort of lacks.

It's almost sort of cynical? It focuses on Trek iconography, like marketable branding....

Hmm music doesn't really gel all that wel with that animation? Also not the biggest fan of that DaVinci sepia paper style drawing when it actually shows spaceships, phasers, dna etc.

It's sort of like... got a documentary feel, almost? Or the sort of snippet you'd see for a behind the scenes feature.

In that regard, I can sorta see why one might parallel it to Enterprise's - less for music, and more the ways in which it leans on showing how we get to the future of the series (and at some level, The Original Series) through showing how it's literally designed.

v0yce

I like it. I do wish it transitioned to some space imagery somewhere but I give them kudos for committing to vision and not going for obvious low hanging fruit.

I hope the show is more "science" like this intro than "action" like the trailers seemed.

I'm excited to find out.

Guy.brush

I like it. I do wish it transitioned to some space imagery somewhere but I give them kudos for committing to vision and not going for obvious low hanging fruit.

I hope the show is more "science" like this intro than "action" like the trailers seemed.

I'm excited to find out.

Well they showed the Phaser image being assembled even before the communicator or the human hand. So..

I want to see T'Pol. She should be alive.

TPol-Star-Trek-TNG-Blalock-h2.jpg

hey guys! did you know that with your monthly subscription to CBS All Access, you can also watch a staggering 24 movies, anytime you want! i don't know about you folks, but being able to watch Sabrina (1995) any time i want is for sure worth 9.99 a month (5.99 with commercials) i mean that Julia Ormond in the titular role amirite? and who could forget Greg Kinnear's turn as the handsome and well-intentioned but frivolous playboy David Larrabee? not this guy! subscribe today!

Top Bottom