• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars 1313 Announced (epic, awe-inspiring, action-packed, visceral thrill ride)

Truant

I'm sure they could get the game out on current generation consoles, but it sure as hell won't look like the video.

Sins*

Neo Member
30ubtkz.jpg

Yes I did.

A cover based, platformer, the gameplay footage had me thinking of Uncharted. I would say that is completely justified comparison i'd say

Lord Phol

I'm quite the big star wars fan (even love ep 1-3) and I'm actually glad this isn't a force unleashed with ridiculous force powers and lightsabers all over the place.

Saying that, it's still a lucasarts produced star wars game so I got my doubts about how it will turn out. Ill remain cautiosly optimistic.

Truant

A cover based, platformer, the gameplay footage had me thinking of Uncharted. I would say that is completely justified comparison i'd say

Every game is like that. We're talking exclusively about graphics and image quality. The Uncharted series looks good, but nothing like what we're seeing here.

Uncharted 2 is a graphically astounding game, but I think you misremember its fidelity.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUPAyGWKd6c#t=1m50s

vs
ibttOBpPsHxCiu.gif

One looks like pre rendered CGI.

One is very clearly in game, yet impressive.

Uncharted 2 is also going on three years old at this point. I am not saying Uncharted 2 looks comparable, only that I could see this being a "Yeah, look at what we managed to squeeze out of the PS3 in the 11th hour" sort of game.

Especially given that it sounds very similar to Uncharted in that it will be heavily heavily scripted to the point where you won't be able to tell when an uncontrollable cinematic begins or ends. If you've ever read the development blog from the guys who helped make Crash Bandicoot, they talk about the rendering tricks they could pull off with fixed camera angles and whatnot, allowing them to cull polygons in extremely efficient ways.

Which is my roundabout way of reinforcing me saying "Yeah, I'd believe a developer with 6 or 7 years of experience developing software for a platform could manage to program to the metal in just the right way to pull this off on current-gen hardware". Evolution, not revolution.

I'm sure that if you really sat me down and told me about all of the bokeh depth of field and surface scattering skin shaders I'd understand that it couldn't, but I'm talking purely at face value here.

injurai

Banned
Uncharted 2 is also going on three years old at this point. I am not saying Uncharted 2 looks comparable, only that I could see this being a "Yeah, look at what we managed to squeeze out of the PS3 in the 11th hour" sort of game.

Especially given that it sounds very similar to Uncharted in that it will be heavily heavily scripted to the point where you won't be able to tell when an uncontrollable cinematic begins or ends. If you've ever read the development blog from the guys who helped make Crash Bandicoot, they talk about the rendering tricks they could pull off with fixed camera angles and whatnot, allowing them to cull polygons in extremely efficient ways.

Which is my roundabout way of reinforcing me saying "Yeah, I'd believe a developer with 6 or 7 years of experience developing software for a platform could manage to program to the metal in just the right way to pull this off on current-gen hardware". Evolution, not revolution.

I'm sure that if you really sat me down and told me about all of the bokeh depth of field and surface scattering skin shaders I'd understand that it couldn't, but I'm talking purely at face value here.

It was running on a high end PC. But I'm sure there is a lot of work going into the tech behind all of it.

I was actually thinking this was likely to be at the PS4 event. Interesting. You guys think it could show up at Microsoft's event?

Top Bottom