• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront | Review Thread | A disturbance in the force

GRaider81

I guess the lack of content is a thing but really i dont care. Ive already bought the Season pass. 1st one ive ever bought.

Growing up with the original trilogy this is more than a game. Its recapturing my childhood.

seems like this is gonna be a Destiny situation where metacritic score is average but game will sell truck loads. Hopefully the player base stays as large as Destiny as well.

Na, destiny has a pretty large hook. This has nothing like that and people will love on extremely quickly I think. I already have.

Anyways I out all my complaints in the OT and it looks like the reviewers all seemed to agree with me.

This game will sell boatloads but the community will move on in 6 months like evolve.

It's not that the game lacks content, it just gets old quick.

I like people who say " fuck reviews ! Who cares about them ! Game is awesome !" Because it doesn't suit their narrative.

Same goes for the veiled insults and hostility about people who want to play the game (not you, just things noticed leading up to launch). If people enjoy the Beta/EA access or whatever and disagree with some of the points/scores in reviews, that's fine. Reviews aren't objective, end-all-be-all truths.

That said, most of the reviews are spot on in the issues of the game, even if folks don't agree with the weight those carry in the final verdicts. And as such, bringing little else but what you said to the thread (don't care for reviews) without actual discussion doesn't help thein case.

MrDoctor

Polygon said:
In a sea of multiplayer-focused shooters, Star Wars Battlefront distinguishes itself as much by what it does as what it doesn't, and that comes at a price. Its old school simplicity doesn't always mesh with its attempts to bring those ideas into 2015, and it lacks some of those back-of-the-box bullet points that most modern AAA shooters wouldn't be caught dead without.
can someone who speaks pr give me a translation for this? i have not looked at reviews in a good while. thanks in advance.

Azriell

I love everything about this game except for the lack of maps and unlockables. It really is a shame. I might go season pass down the road but I really don't want to support these kinds of practices. If it wasn't for the fact that the game is more fun to me than Halo or CoD, I definitely would have skipped it on principle.

I'm really confused at how shallow is being used to critique this game. It's a throwback simple shooter and is exactly as designed and that's what makes it fun and exciting. I expect most marks are lost for content because I thought it was amazingly fun to play.

can someone who speaks pr give me a translation for this? i have not looked at reviews in a good while. thanks in advance.

Seriously, you need this translated?

They're saying the game revels in being old school, but that kind of thinking isn't best suited for a game this day and age where developers like packing in features.

Gator86

I run around and shoot things, then people running around shoot me. The match ends. That is all the matches have felt like since playing it on Ea access.

It's really a solid 7/10. It almost mirrors Destiny in some ways with the lack of content at launch and everything feeling the same.

This nailed the beta vibe I got. Spawn, hip fire my recoiled, automatic laser sniper, get a few kills, then die to someone that spawns behind me, repeat. It's on the way from GameFly so I can sight-see for a few days but then it's heading back.

Kriken

GOTY edition? from who? what? have you seen the other games out this year?

I mean, I guess it wouldn't be surprising for some outlet to grace this game with such a title but.. you know. No doubt there's gonna be a DLC-included version later down the line though, for sure. I'll probably pick that one up myself as long as the game still has an active community then

GOTY Edition doesn't literally mean they won GOTY, it's just an easy way to say "complete edition"

My point still stands about waiting on a complete edition of the game

krang

This went from a "must-buy", to a "must buy EA Access" for me after reading some of those reviews.

I'm thinking this thing has a huge opening and then not that great of legs.

Feels like dumping Star Wars assets onto Frostbite was meant to be good enough. It probably is for a lot of people, to be fair.

I'm having plenty of fun with this at the moment but it's good to see the game getting nailed by critics for the shocking lack of content... I don't think i've ever played a major retail release that feels so obviously built around future DLC. EA will pull this again with the sequel though because sales are going to be fucking massive.

bounchfx

GOTY Edition doesn't literally mean they won GOTY, it's just an easy way to say "complete edition"

My point still stands about waiting on a complete edition of the game

yeah I gotcha - I just wasn't sure if there was a precedent of games getting GOTY editions that haven't actually won said awards. Complete editions are pretty much a standard thing now, for better or worse haha

npa189

The game looks and plays great, but I am afraid it will get old quick. If it wasn't for the IP and great graphics I wouldn't be this happy. It runs, plays, and feels great but I don't see myself spending 180 hours with it like BF4. The design choices are puzzling for DICE, but I bet EA and Disney wanted accessibility above all else.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Generally speaking, publishers prefer to have a few GOTY awards before doing that, but that Kotaku link showcases some of the flipside.

If EA decides they'd rather play it safe, they'll just call it the Ultimate Edition.

desu

Reviews are totally in line with what I was expecting, good to see that. I would give the game a 7 myself, the content is just not there for me.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I doubt it, there will be a shitload of DLC and in case you haven't noticed a star wars movie is coming out in 4 weeks.

I really don't think this changes things as much as folks seem to think. The Force Awakens helps with December and January, but it won't matter much re: Battlefront by April.

Occam

In my opinion, Star Wars Battlefront is way too expensive for what it offers. No single player, and you need the season pass to get the most out of it. $60 + $50 = $110.
I'd feel bad to support these practices, so I won't be buying this until the price is lowered considerably.

The high price should absolutely have a negative effect on review scores, and I applaud those reviewers who rated it accordingly.

Ferrio

Banned
It won't have enough legs without a lot of good content. Look at Titanfall as an example,it was really fun but a few months after release the player base died off.

"I only got a few months worth of play for this game, it's not worth it"

I guess if a shooter isn't something you can invest in and play for years straight like CS or something it's not worth it.

I understand people worried about a game's legs, but how long does it need until it's justified as a good purchase?

krang

Slightly off-topic, but not unrelated: is the 10-hour EA Access trial a 10-hour slot to play the game in, starting from the first time you launch it, or can you play it on/off with a total game time of 10 hours?

What's with the inadequacies of this game being spun as intentional, with the "old school shooter" excuse?

The "old school shooters" being invoked were simplistic because the core gameplay was engaging. You don't have to have a shitload of variety to counter strike because counter strike is itself mechanically very deep and involving.

Star Wars Battlefront pushes no boundaries in that way, either in gameplay or content. It lacks both and makes up for it through its cosmetic value alone.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So the primary issue is content? Quality over quantity for me. Shit, the Halo CE campaign was like, what, six different enemies and constant backtracking? Still fun as hell, though.

Had a lot of fun with the core mechanics during the beta and can't wait to pick this up and dig in tomorrow.

Slightly off-topic, but not unrelated: is the 10-hour EA Access trial a 10-hour slot to play the game in, starting from the first time you launch it, or can you play it on/off with a total game time of 10 hours?

On/off till its In the vault.

This has saved me so much money thus year.

When there's a time where reviews mean shit, then it's this time.
It will sell bazillions. Every kid wants to have it, at least after the movie. Parents will buy it, parents don't read reviews.

Top Bottom