• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer, game will be 60 fps

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
There's a reason why they didnt show 1 second of gameplay, because it doesnt look like that.

But they did show gameplay, and everyone who saw it said it DOES look like that....

I can comfim 100% that the footage at 1:41 is gameplay, and when it cuts out of the x-wing it's a just a free camera.

keyPf32.gif

Skyzard

Banned
^ never had an issue with that part, it was pretty striking going from the forest to that clip.

But they did show gameplay, and everyone who saw it said it DOES look like that....

They only got to watch it once and weren't allowed to record, and people perceive/remember graphics differently. The only thing that stood out was the jaggies.

It was probably washed out (among other things) which hid the difference like with this shot (which it still won't probably look like on consoles):

Star%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_B.jpg

vs what we're all hoping for (the non-gamey look)

HtsyS8K.png

I'm not saying the first screenshot is real gameplay compared to the second but just the sort of shit to expect that would obscure awesome lighting, that just can't be real.

SinShep

A trailer that isn't live gameplay running on a console can be as ridiculous as developers want it to be. That's why it says "not actual gameplay footage" after the trailer ends.

Then they could've hired a CGI team like Blur to make that exact trailer, but with more impressive quality than what we saw.

They didn't even have to mention that it was representative of the PS4, but they did, and that tells me it's mostly certain that this is what the gameplay will resemble graphics wise. To do so and then end up downgrading the graphic quality of the game anyway makes the mention of the trailer representing PS4 graphics redundant.

SinShep

They only got to watch it once and weren't allowed to record, and people perceive/remember graphics differently. The only thing that stood out was the jaggies.

People who have seen gameplay once are still a more reliable source than people who haven't seen any, especially when all of them are saying coherent things about it.

Skyzard

Banned
People who have seen gameplay once are still a more reliable source than people who haven't seen any.

TBH you're right, and now that you mention it, chances are it's exactly or basically like the trailer. HYPE!!!!!! Expectations through the roof.

EA did it boys!

This game could be nothing more than spinning assets like a Skyrim loading screen and I'd preorder it and buy all the DLC. Anything on top of that is house money.

SinShep

Not Actual Gameplay = wait and see. Or have we forgot Ubi so fast?

It's not like Ubi has become the default of what to expect with how games look before release in comparison to their gameplay. Watch Dogs and Unity both had problems with this, and both received backlash and generated controversy.

EA wouldn't be stupid enough to make this mistake in the year right after Ubi made it twice.

DOWN

Banned
It's not like Ubi has become the default of what to expect with how games look before release in comparison to their gameplay. Watch Dogs and Unity both had problems with this, and both received backlash and generated controversy.

EA wouldn't be stupid enough to make this mistake in the year right after Ubi made it twice.
Ubi was dumb enough to make this mistake twice after EA got people pissed with unfinished BF4

Eggbok

like these people?

IGN.gif

Not Actual Gameplay = wait and see. Or have we forgot Ubi so fast?

V0hY9nf.gif

Ubisoft fucking up does not reflect the work and effort put into games by other studios. They messed up bad with Watch Dogs but that's Ubisoft, not DICE/EA. But it's not really the first time Ubisoft has downgraded games either.

Also why do people think them not showing gameplay means they're lying about the visuals or something is wrong? It's not a gaming event, it's Star Wars Celebration which means they are bound to have things exclusive to the people actually payed money for the event.

SinShep

Ubi was dumb enough to make this mistake twice after EA got people pissed with unfinished BF4

The launch of BF4 does have me worried about Battlefront having a similar issue, but I see that as a different topic compared to how the game will look visually.

DOWN

Banned
V0hY9nf.gif

Ubisoft fucking up does not reflect the work and effort put into games by other studios. They messed up bad with Watch Dogs but that's Ubisoft, not DICE/EA. But it's not really the first time Ubisoft has downgraded games either.

Also why do people think them not showing gameplay means they're lying about the visuals or something is wrong? It's not a gaming event, it's Star Wars Celebration which means they are bound to have things exclusive to the people actually payed money for the event.
We think the lying part is the trailer saying "representative of PS4" but having a bunch of cgi level effect, and the devs saying "it really looks like that" and "on all platforms"

An in engine trailer is fine. It's their insistence that we should be on board with the game as they claim to have seemingly bested even the best singleplayer visuals in their multi platform multiplayer game. You are going to basically match Uncharted and The Order on near-CGI, but do it at 60fps in multiplayer and multi platform? No

Because the visuals in that trailer, combined with the fact that its a 60 FPS/40 player/non linear game isn't realistic for the PS4.

Okay, then take a step back and remember that most of the things that make SWBF look better than BF4 are the PBR, photogrammery, and art design. At its base, it doesn't look much different from BF4.

SinShep

We think the lying part is the trailer saying "representative of PS4" but having a bunch of cgi level effect, and the devs saying "it really looks like that" and "on all platforms"

But why would they push it this far that each version will look like this if it was a blatant lie? That would make an even bigger controversy than Ubi did.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

An in engine trailer is fine. It's their insistence that we should be on board with the game as they claim to have seemingly bested even the best singleplayer visuals in their multi platform multiplayer game. You are going to basically match Uncharted and The Order on near-CGI, but do it at 60fps in multiplayer and multi platform? No

But it doesn't match the order and uncharted. Look at the soldiers character models. They are nothing compared to uncharted or the order. There will be no cloth physics or soft body physics. No chest hair physics or pupil dilation.

And we shouldn't expect it to.

It looks like Star Wars art design. Matched with PBR, Current Gen only Design, player count reduced by 25 players (more than most games have total..), likely toned down destruction, and a talented team who made BF4 graphically fantastic even with all of the above.

Eggbok

Because the visuals in that trailer, combined with the fact that its a 60 FPS/40 player/non linear game isn't realistic for the PS4.

Wasn't Battlefield 4 60fps on PS4 with 64 players? It was just really shitty lol. And this is same engine as BF4 right, but it's not cross gen and doesn't really have levolution. They also haven't said if the game is 1080p.

So if it's the same engine and its not being held back by things that were in BF4 why is it so impossible?

OnADock

Banned
But why would they push it this far that each version will look like this if it was a blatant lie? That would make an even bigger controversy than Ubi did.

You realize 99% of people won't care about a graphics downgrade right? Watchdogs still sold millions.

SinShep

You realize 99% of people won't care about a graphics downgrade right? Watchdogs still sold millions.

It did, but with marketing that made no mention of the gameplay shown representing the PS4. That's a drastic change from this, where it's being confirmed over and over again that this is what the actual game will look like.

Skyzard

Banned
With PBR, 24 less players, likely removed destruction, and being built current gen only, the game has every right to look spectacular. And BF4 without all of those advantages managed to look fantastic as well
PBR will help no doubt, but it makes the materials and objects look realistic, like a great texture/shader, it doesn't create life/movie-like lighting and shadows:

CkBNu3u.png

The effect is more apparent in-doors where the lighting is more uniform and they can pre-bake (or whatever it is) the whole room and have the shadows look more real, especially when darkness hides the variation in shadows.
The above image is very flat. And even in-doors it was the furniture that looked real, but when it was mostly NPCs that move about:

dZhmx44.png

Not this stuff (my previous post circling the shadows).

"Not Actual Gameplay"
"Representative of PS4"
"Game Engine Footage"

^ all phrases open to interpretation. They're bastards. Especially the way they introduced them.

Q: Were those graphics shown in the trailer in-game? – @Segmatron73

A: Yes, the trailer was filmed in engine, using our in-game models

The models are the same.

I'm not saying the game is going to look like ass. I was still impressed by BF4 despite the downgrade, but don't tell me the graphics in the trailer are possible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsBa...0we/new_battlefront_trailer/cqhbr5o?context=3

Hehe, intelligent question! :D

I'm sorry, but I simply can't go into too much detail on these things. Yes, it looks great on Xbox One as well. But if you want me to start specifying if XB1 and PS4 versions look identical, etc., that's a level of detail I just can't go into yet. Remember it's also still in development; there's a lot of months to go with optimizations, tweaks and polish.

What I can say though, as a personal prediction: I think this will be one of the most beautiful games, if not the most beautiful game, on all three platforms when it launches. Remember that's just my personal prediction, not a fact (e.g. I don't know how other games will look by then, etc.)

I really hope E3 gives us some gameplay from all platforms.

Heroman

Banned

Trailer like that have been going since the beginning of gaming trailers dont you remember the early madden trailer last gen which look noting like the game.

Alienous

It can't, and the impressions of those people can't be entirely trusted.

People thought that the most recent trailer looked like the E3 footage until they referred to both. If DICE were able to pull of these visuals on a PS4, real-time, they would have performed a magic trick that makes all other developers look incompetent.

It'll look good, but it won't look like this trailer.

V0hY9nf.gif

Not sure how that witch hunt begin and I don't understand it at all. Liars it doesn't look that! its not going to look like that, there is no way! by the way when are we the public going to be able to see actual gameplay footage and not the reveal trailer?

HariKari

From your link:

I don't like making hard guarantees. The game hasn't shipped yet. We're not done with it. But this is how it looks right now - on PS4 as well, yes.

Straight up lie.

There's a difference in trailers that deceive their audience, and ones that lie to them.

Familiarize yourself with the latter by reading SkyHazard's posts (or any number of people who have broken it down).

From your link:

Straight up lie.

Familiarize yourself with the latter by reading SkyHazard's posts (or any number of people who have broken it down).

Why are we disregarding other Gaffers who was at the events opinions on the matter? I have seen several post say the gameplay footage looked pretty damn close to the trailers but had allot of aliasing. Is everyone who have actually seen the actual game play and had good things to say about it liars too?

Skyzard

Banned
What is it that he said that backs up your point?

The engine can make it's own trailers - ie add cinematic effects that won't be in the game so they don't need to export the models to something like Maya or 3D studio.
Like special calculations for the lighting, motion blur, outputting single frames in a queue etc.

"The assets are the same." Not the effects or settings. The models.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Ignoring the motion blur, check out the subtle differences in lighting:

349ZH3a.png

You don't get that with games, you get it with movies. It's what makes a scene come to life.

Infamous has nothing on these particles:
Y3Zn4Qw.png

This is straight up avatar:

TXzkDvv.jpg

351Iilg.jpg

W4UCBQk.jpg

Not to mention the insane aa and resolution they must have been using.

Yeah. I'm starting to wonder too.
I still believe.

SinShep

The engine can make it's own trailers - ie add cinematic effects that won't be in the game so they don't need to export the models to something like Maya or 3D studio. .

"Of course there's some cinematic things we're doing that are hard to play..."

That sounds more along the lines of animations used in the trailer than visual effects.

"Not Actual Gameplay"
"Representative of PS4"
"Game Engine Footage"

^ all phrases open to interpretation. They're bastards. Especially the way they introduced them.

As a lawyer, specialized in IT law, I can attest that you have totally nailed. I make my living trying to protect my employer from bad contracts and SLA's that often feature similar terms.
The lawyers at EA did a fantastic job with that wording. The goal is always to promise as much as possible, while beeing safe from any legal actions, when customers find out those promises were BS. By showing "not actual gameplay" on the splash screen for a second, the game could look like Goldeneye on N64 and EA would be fine (legally).

Skyzard

Banned
^ I just hope they underestimated Star Wars fans and how disappointed they can get.

"Of course there's some cinematic things we're doing that are hard to play..."

That sounds more along the lines of animations used in the trailer than visual effects.

It implies both. Cinematic is exactly what the lighting in the trailer is.

The only thing they've specified as being the same as the in-engine trailer are the models, possibly the textures. Both times, in this quote:

Q: Were those graphics shown in the trailer in-game? – @Segmatron73

A: Yes, the trailer was filmed in engine, using our in-game models

Where they make the distinction between in-engine and in-game and refer to only the models being from in-game.

And in the youtube video:

Where he mentions the assets are the same. If the graphical effects were the same, they would have made some mention. Hell they would have released a gameplay video like with BF4 (and then just downgraded a bit for 'performance' reasons). But nope. Completely cinematic and covering their asses so they can go full monty with bs implications to deceive hopeful fans.

Stacey

Banned
My most hyped game of this year thanks to the trailer, regardless of being gameplay or not.

Yay! first post, Hi gaf.

Nokterian

Not this stuff (my previous post circling the shadows).

"Not Actual Gameplay"
"Representative of PS4"
"Game Engine Footage"

The models are the same.

I'm not saying the game is going to look like ass. I was still impressed by BF4 despite the downgrade, but don't tell me the graphics in the trailer are possible.

Exactly that's why i take it all with a huge grain of salt in terms of how it will look and how it will run. But people believe it all and it's a shame also they just didn't show any gameplay at all because people will fall into again and again. That mistake i will not do anymore i learned my lesson from DICE/EA with BF4. I will sit back eat popcorn and see the meltdowns coming along in the next few months.

Top Bottom