• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer, game will be 60 fps

^ I watched the trailer.
Q: Were those graphics shown in the trailer in-game? – @Segmatron73

A: Yes, the trailer was filmed in engine, using our in-game models

But nobody is arguing if the in-game models looked too good or not? Frankly they don't look all that much special.
Edit: Nvm Skyzard, i see we're on the same page here.
Star%20Wars%20Battlefront%20_4-17_E.jpg
This is what i would consider an impressive in-game model
vlcsnap-2015-01-15-21o5sy8.png

vlcsnap-2015-01-15-21wps2v.png

vlcsnap-2014-12-22-2253s0o.png

What really sets Battlefront apart is theinsane lighting/shadows/particles/ and motion blur. Best I've ever seen

HariKari

Where he mentions the assets are the same. If the graphical effects were the same, they would have made some mention. Hell they would have released a gameplay video like with BF4 (and then just downgraded a bit for 'performance' reasons). But nope. Completely cinematic and covering their asses so they can go full monty with bs implications to deceive hopeful fans.

The proof is in their actions. Well, besides the obvious evidence in the trailer itself. They have a fully scripted 100% ready to go Gameplay demo that they've been showing privately, yet they refuse to release it to the public. Now, why would a company do that? It probably doesn't live up to the spiffy trailer and would open them up to ridicule. No point in doing that if it can be avoided.

Cptkrush

But nobody is arguing if the in-game models looked too good or not? Frankly they don't look all that much special.

What really sets Battlefront apart is theinsane lighting/shadows/particles/ and motion blur. Best I've ever seen

If Uncharted actually ends up looking like this, I will lose my mind. I believe in ND but I can't at the same time. I think the models in SWBF look very good, and a little more realistic in terms of achieving a certain fidelity on these consoles.

I'm late to this thread, do people think the game will not look like that, or not look like that on consoles?

I was at Celebration and I saw actual PS4 gameplay.

On console it does look like the trailer if you lower the resolution and add a lot of jaggies. But from what I saw (obviously I couldnt pause to study), the models, textures and lighting are all there. Even many of the same death animations.
This makes me assume that if you were to run this thing on a beastly PC, It's totally possible to get very close to matching the in-engine trailer. It seemed comparing the gameplay to the trailer that it really is in-engine as they claim, just running at super resolution on a beast machine with all effects turned on.

Some people are really picking apart subtle things about the lighting and particles and without being able to pause and rewind I just cant say if the same subtleties were in the gameplay. Just that my overall impression was that the lighting carried over.

This guy is saying the same things:

Got out of the Battlefront 3 demo a while ago and saw it with my own eyes. The demo was only Endor forest stuff. First thing I noticed was the aliasing, especially with all those trees and leaves. I doubt it was running at 1080p. If it was then there was either minimal or no AA. Second thing I noticed was that the lighting, character, and object quality looked very similar to the trailer. Character animation was also pretty good. Overall the trailer is a "fair" representation of what the gameplay looks like. The build they were showing was an early PS4 alpha build. I'd expect the PC to offer support for higher resolution and AA, which should get it much closer to the fidelity found in the trailer. They also announced the PC version is going to be the first game to support Dolby Atmos for what that's worth. I was a little bummed they didn't show any vehicle stuff or other levels after waiting nearly 3 hours, but whatever. I still enjoyed what I saw.

Notice a lot of people here talking like know what they're saying even though they didn't go to Celebration and wait three hours to check this out.

Sounds like what I expecting. Hoping for better AA than BF4 had.

It's going to support Atmos? How? That requires 62 speakers LOL

If im getting this right, it supports that many but can mix on the fly to match just about any speaker configuration. That's the big selling point, that it supports all these channels and can mix them however you need for a full sounding environment. It's not limited to just one arrangement.

Skyzard

Banned
If Uncharted actually ends up looking like this, I will lose my mind. I believe in ND but I can't at the same time. I think the models in SWBF look very good, and a little more realistic in terms of achieving a certain fidelity on these consoles.

That's because the textures (especially the clothes) stretch out over ridiculous resolutions and they motion and/or depth-of-field blur them most of the time.

Eggbok

The proof is in their actions. Well, besides the obvious evidence in the trailer itself. They have a fully scripted 100% ready to go Gameplay demo that they've been showing privately, yet they refuse to release it to the public. Now, why would a company do that? It probably doesn't live up to the spiffy trailer and would open them up to ridicule. No point in doing that if it can be avoided.

Because this is not a gaming event, It's Star Wars Celebration. I think a lot of people are forgetting this. Having exclusive events and content for the people who actually paid to go is completely fine.

Think Comic Con for example, if you don't actually go then you don't actually get to see the footage they show everyone who actually attends unless someone leaks it. It is the exact same thing, so you can put your pitch fork down.

I don't think they fear any ridicule. They fear getting sued, because pre orders are already coming in based on the trailer. If it did not include the "not actual gameplay" term, you could build a case against EA (when it becomes apparent that the game doesn't look like that). They want people to pre order based on that awesome trailer right now. H5 and BLOPS3 will be out when BFront releases. It's just smart business to get as much money as possible now.

Anybody who has been to the Star Wars Celebration: Did they make you sign sth before showing the demo?

Nemic77

On console it does look like the trailer if you lower the resolution and add a lot of jaggies. But from what I saw (obviously I couldnt pause to study), the models, textures and lighting are all there. Even many of the same death animations.
This makes me assume that if you were to run this thing on a beastly PC, It's totally possible to get very close to matching the in-engine trailer. It seemed comparing the gameplay to the trailer that it really is in-engine as they claim, just running at super resolution on a beast machine with all effects turned on.

Some people are really picking apart subtle things about the lighting and particles and without being able to pause and rewind I just cant say if the same subtleties were in the gameplay. Just that my overall impression was that the lighting carried over.

Notice a lot of people here talking like know what they're saying even though they didn't go to Celebration and wait three hours to check this out.

Everyone ignore this and make assumptions on nothing. QUICK!

I am 100% confident those fire/explosion effects are going to get downgraded. They look fantastic, and it always seems that fire and explosions never look as good in released versions of games, as they do in teasers/trailers.

The explosions and fire particle effects afterwards in this trailer were really impressive. Of course, I will hope and pray they stay in tact for the console versions.

Boke1879

Exactly that's why i take it all with a huge grain of salt in terms of how it will look and how it will run. But people believe it all and it's a shame also they just didn't show any gameplay at all because people will fall into again and again. That mistake i will not do anymore i learned my lesson from DICE/EA with BF4. I will sit back eat popcorn and see the meltdowns coming along in the next few months.

We've had people who have seen the game in this very thread that says it looks amazing. I doubt it will look like this on consoles but you'd be a fool to not think a PC can't run something like this.

If im getting this right, it supports that many but can mix on the fly to match just about any speaker configuration. That's the big selling point, that it supports all these channels and can mix them however you need for a full sounding environment. It's not limited to just one arrangement.
People are ignoring this and I don't understand why. I get it, those big bad liars EA trying to deceive everyone! guilty until proven innocent etc. Why are we downplaying and ignoring fellow Gaf members who have seen the gameplay? I actually trust Gaf members more then EA because they have something to lose if they are lying.

People are ignoring this and I don't understand why. I get it, those big bad liars EA trying to deceive everyone! guilty until proven innocent etc. Why are we downplaying and ignoring fellow Gaf members who have seen the gameplay? I actually trust Gaf members more then EA because they have something to lose if they are lying.

Because even if it did look like that, and was running on PC hardware, it's in no way representative of the final product. I remember GiantBomb had some Ubisoft developer or insider email them claiming that Assassin's Creed Unity will play well and look great and run well.

I call bullshit and all of these impressions are frankly useless with the product so far away –– the most important thing about the press preview is what modes will be in the game and the content.

It's not that I don't trust fellow GAFers but more about not trusting EA/DICE to be genuine with the consumer in the interest of having them pre-order the game.

Because even if it did look like that, and was running on PC hardware, it's in no way representative of the final product. I remember GiantBomb had some Ubisoft developer or insider email them claiming that Assassin's Creed Unity will play well and look great and run well.

I call bullshit and all of these impressions are frankly useless with the product so far away –– the most important thing about the press preview is what modes will be in the game and the content.

It's not that I don't trust fellow GAFers but more about not trusting EA/DICE to be genuine with the consumer in the interest of having them pre-order the game.

It was a PS4 alpha...

Edit: Nvm Skyzard, i see we're on the same page here.

vlcsnap-2015-01-15-21o5sy8.png

vlcsnap-2015-01-15-21wps2v.png

vlcsnap-2014-12-22-2253s0o.png
I'd be shocked if the Uncharted model maintained that quality up until release. Those look like renders, in any case. Kinda silly to compare them to "actual game footage." And even then, that Uncharted model is probably reserved for cut scenes.

You're also comparing two very different types of games.

Battlefront will be an online shooter with massive, open maps with tons of shit going on at any given time. Upwards of 40 of those player models will be running around shooting each other.

Uncharted will be a tightly controlled, linear single player experience with a few characters on screen at most.

Given that, I'd say the Battlefront models look pretty good. I would never expect Order 1886 quality character models in a game like Battlefield\Battlefront.

Regardless of like, everything telling me that it's not going to be as amazing as I want it to be, I find it so difficult to not be hyped as hell for this. It's just nice to have a new Battlefront game.

slapnuts

It's DICE ...its in-game engine....its gonna look like the trailer. Come on peeps...stop the negative thinking towards a competent group of developers. If anyone is doubting these visuals are uncapable on PS4...well be prepared for a big plate of crow set before you. PS4 is now about to hit its stride in terms of its capabilities...and no, it's no a PC so don't start saying it has a laptop cpu and a low mid-range GPU...the way the PS4 was masterfully built by Mr. Cerny to make use of a very efficient hardware design with the usage of CPU and GPU in tandem along with the 5-6GB of GDDR5 available memory for in-game usage...the extra ACE's, the low level access to a GPU that is roughly around a 7850/7870 with a few added features sprinkled on top that it's PC counterparts lack...we will be seeing some mind blowing games coming out on the consoles...especially PS4 as it hits its strides and SDK's get more refined.

I think a lot of people are still hasty and too early on their judgements when it comes to the capabilities of the new consoles, especially PS4, i think Carny made all the right choices with the PS4 hardware while keeping it affordable...these consoles have only been out for 1 year and half....the way the PS4 was specifically built for efficiency has not even been utilized yet...most of what we've seen is just straight forward brute forcing cross-gen games to run on the new consoles which is probably a headache for the dev's but once we get out of this cross gen BS...and dev's get the hang of the PS4 hardware...which should be this year at some point, we'll see some mind blowing games..even the multiplats like this new Star Wars Battlefront game ...I have no doubt that what we see in that trailer is exactly what we'll see in game. Man, I keep thinking about the gamecube's Rebel Strike Speeder Bike Run how good it looked ..it still looks good even today to a degree - https://youtu.be/_4O9To5mT1Q?t=31s

Gotta keep in mind that the 8 core jaguar CPU has 8 cores for a reason..to make up for the lack of overall speed...to space things out and then we gotta keep in mind that the hybrid 7850/7870 in a closed box console is much more powerful than the PC equivlent because of the low level access and it being in a closed box setup. Heck even Shishkovstov from 4A Games said it himself and he is first and foremost a PC guy..the only thing is that he's being honest and fair about how the consoles are more powerful than most are led to believe...

----------------------------------------------------------
Oles Shishkovstov: Well obviously they aren't packing the bleeding edge hardware you can buy for PC (albeit for insane amounts of money) today. But they are relatively well-balanced pieces of hardware that are well above what most people have right now, performance-wise. And let's not forget that programming close to the metal will usually mean that we can get 2x performance gain over the equivalent PC spec. Practically achieving that performance takes some time, though!

Full Article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...its-really-like-to-make-a-multi-platform-game

That said, i am getting the PC version for sure! lol.....I love my PS4 but all multi-plats are going to be played on my home theater PC..just because my PC is far more powerful than the consoles so i gotta make use of the investment of the PC i built last year. My PS4 is for its AAA first party titles only and sports games and we all know Sony has some kick ass dev's under their wing. I can't wait for all of Sony's studio's to hit their stride with the PS4 hardware.

Kinyou

"Not Actual Gameplay"
"Representative of PS4"
"Game Engine Footage"

^ all phrases open to interpretation. They're bastards. Especially the way they introduced them.
It's all this weird wording that makes it very hard to believe anything. If the game looks as great, fine, but I'll hardly be surprised if it doesn't.

Skyzard

Banned
Where's Durante when you need him. :p

The reason I'm not taking gaffers words on the lighting is because I know how easy it is to misremember things, especially in exciting environments and especially if it was all low res. And because I recognize ridiculously good lighting because it's been something I've wanted for a long time and know it takes ages to output frames like that.

It's all this weird wording that makes it very hard to believe anything. If the game looks as great, fine, but I'll hardly be surprised if it doesn't.

Yep, and it went:
<opens>

EA Presents
A DICE Game
Game Engine Footage -- [that means gameplay right?! In engine, that means it uses the same settings for in-game?]

</end of star wars stuff>
<PS splash screen>
<the trademark screen>

Big font - Release date
Same screen, smaller font -Representative of PS4. [That means PS4 will look like this?] Not Actual Gameplay. [Well that's obviously because of the camera angles!]

KKRT00

Gotta keep in mind that the 8 core jaguar CPU has 8 cores for a reason..to make up for the lack of overall speed...to space things out and then we gotta keep in mind that the hybrid 7850/7870 in a closed box console is much more powerful than the PC equivlent because of the low level access and it being in a closed box setup. Heck even Shishkovstov from 4A Games said it himself and he is first and foremost a PC guy..the only thing is that he's being honest and fair about how the consoles are more powerful than most are led to believe...

Oles Shishkovstov: Well obviously they aren't packing the bleeding edge hardware you can buy for PC (albeit for insane amounts of money) today. But they are relatively well-balanced pieces of hardware that are well above what most people have right now, performance-wise. And let's not forget that programming close to the metal will usually mean that we can get 2x performance gain over the equivalent PC spec. Practically achieving that performance takes some time, though!

Full Article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...its-really-like-to-make-a-multi-platform-game

That said, i am getting the PC version for sure! lol.....I love my PS4 but all multi-plats are going to be played on my home theater PC..just because my PC is far more powerful than the consoles so i gotta make use of the investment of the PC i built last year. My PS4 is for its AAA first party titles only and sports games and we all know Sony has some kick ass dev's under their wing. I can't wait for all of Sony's studio's to hit their stride with the PS4 hardware.

And here we go again ...

When will this stop?

StevieP

Banned
It's DICE ...its in-game engine....its gonna look like the trailer. Come on peeps...stop the negative thinking towards a competent group of developers. If anyone is doubting these visuals are uncapable on PS4...well be prepared for a big plate of crow set before you. PS4 is now about to hit its stride in terms of its capabilities...and no, it's no a PC so don't start saying it has a laptop cpu and a low mid-range GPU...the way the PS4 was masterfully built by Mr. Cerny to make use of a very efficient hardware design with the usage of CPU and GPU in tandem along with the 5-6GB of GDDR5 available memory for in-game usage...the extra ACE's, the low level access to a GPU that is roughly around a 7850/7870 with a few added features sprinkled on top that it's PC counterparts lack...we will be seeing some mind blowing games coming out on the consoles...especially PS4 as it hits its strides and SDK's get more refined.

I think a lot of people are still hasty and too early on their judgements when it comes to the capabilities of the new consoles, especially PS4, i think Carny made all the right choices with the PS4 hardware while keeping it affordable...these consoles have only been out for 1 year and half....the way the PS4 was specifically built for efficiency has not even been utilized yet...most of what we've seen is just straight forward brute forcing cross-gen games to run on the new consoles which is probably a headache for the dev's but once we get out of this cross gen BS...and dev's get the hang of the PS4 hardware...which should be this year at some point, we'll see some mind blowing games..even the multiplats like this new Star Wars Battlefront game ...I have no doubt that what we see in that trailer is exactly what we'll see in game. Man, I keep thinking about the gamecube's Rebel Strike Speeder Bike Run how good it looked ..it still looks good even today to a degree - https://youtu.be/_4O9To5mT1Q?t=31s

Totally! In fact I think Corrine yu said its possibiblical to get like 3 or 4x times the amount of metal inside your consoles if you throw enough iron clad programmers at them. Hehe get it? Once they hit they're strides believe me the Xbox one is finally going to be playing everything at 1080p and ps4 is going to be rendering all of its games in 2k at least. Uncharted 4 is going to be like the original reveal trailer except instead of just 60fps it's going to be running 120fps and look like even better than that for Morpheus. I bet most developers are only using like 1 core now so once they get used to parrallellellellelllizizihg their code across all 8 (the console manufactuers are for sure going to unlock the last 2 soon) it will be a game changers. hUma is going to make up for any differences between it and whatever CPUs are being installed in the high end PCs used to make these DICE trailers (just like last year at e3 and the year before with battlefield 4 because people just don't learn their lesson). It's just a matter of time.

And these Star Wars trailers? They will look exactly like that on consoles except for the IQ, framerate, resolution, particle effects, texture quality, lighting quality, shader use, draw distance, LOD, AF, and environmental detail. But pretty much exactly the same.

Skyzard

Banned
lmao

-------
[Post below me]
I just went through the Gamersyde footage frame by frame and I think that the final segment with the ties and Millennium Falcon may be more representative of the console versions. There's a good deal of aliasing in the hangar and the lighting quality of the godrays seems lower.

That's why they only show it for barely a few seconds. Not that it looks bad but it's no forest section. Still looks quite high resolution (in-cockpit). Snow section had ridiculous particles.

You know this game kind of reminds me of like a modern Warhawk for some reason. Which would be awesome.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just went through the Gamersyde footage frame by frame and I think that the final segment with the ties and Millennium Falcon may be more representative of the console versions. There's a good deal of aliasing in the hangar and the lighting quality of the godrays seems lower.

TyrantII

It's not like Ubi has become the default of what to expect with how games look before release in comparison to their gameplay. Watch Dogs and Unity both had problems with this, and both received backlash and generated controversy.

EA wouldn't be stupid enough to make this mistake in the year right after Ubi made it twice.

5269558397_64406aeb94_z.jpg

Look I'm excited as the next guy for a new Battlefront, especially one imagined by DICE. But I won't be carrying water for EA's marketing team, and I'll wait to see the actual game.

CGI, Bullshots, Bull demos, vertical slices, and now in-engine "representations". Why add to the bullshit from a marketing department? There will be captured gameplay video soon enough, and if there isn't red flags should go up.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's why they only show it for barely a few seconds. Not that it looks bad.

I'd be fucking ecstatic if the PS4 version looked like that at 60fps. I do hope that DICE chimes in on how much extra headroom the player count and lack of destruction makes in the engine.

My biggest hope is that they just replace their awful FXAA solution from BF4. One of the few games that edge shimmering is very distracting to me and the added blur at 900p hurts the image a good deal.

Newlove

You can pre-order the game for £64.99 on PSN or £69.99 for the early unlocks. Lol. Even more questionable if the content turns out to be on the thin side for full retail price.

Boke1879

I'd be fucking ecstatic if the PS4 version looked like that at 60fps. I do hope that DICE chimes in on how much extra headroom the player count and lack of destruction makes in the engine.

My biggest hope is that they just replace their awful FXAA solution from BF4. One of the few games that edge shimmering is very distracting to me and the added blur at 900p hurts the image a good deal.

Yup, if the PS4 versions looks like that at 60fps I'm happy and it's about what I expected.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't understand, why haven't we seen the gameplay yet if they showed it to the people at the celebration?

They needed to have something to show to attendees. The big promo/marketing video went out to everyone and they just showed some alpha gameplay behind closed doors. E3 will be the big gameplay blowout, I imagine.

StevieP

Banned
The needed to have something to show to attendees. The big promo/marketing video went out to everyone and they just showed some alpha gameplay behind closed doors. E3 will be the big gameplay blowout, I imagine.

And they're going to do the same thing at e3 that they've done for years now. Show an extremely high end PC running some super sampled to hell footage at the playstation conference and the same exact discussion will go on there as here.

Skyzard

Banned
Yep, I'm expecting they're going to try and delay the backlash for as long as possible after this trailer.

Which is up to 9.5 million views now.

Probably right up until release before anyone realizes/can say anything and by then they'll be defending their invested money/too busy playing.

SinShep

Look I'm excited as the next guy for a new Battlefront, especially one imagined by DICE. But I won't be carrying water for EA's marketing team, and I'll wait to see the actual game.

CGI, Bullshots, Bull demos, vertical slices, and now in-engine "representations". Why add to the bullshit from a marketing department? There will be captured gameplay video soon enough, and if there isn't red flags should go up.

But this isn't just from the marketing department, this is from DICE and people who saw the gameplay preview as well. If several of the developers speaking directly to their fans confirm that this is what the game will look like, and the fans who *have* seen it agree, I'm inclined to have faith in them.

TheMAK

Banned
And they're going to do the same thing at e3 that they've done for years now. Show an extremely high end PC running some super sampled to hell footage at the playstation conference and the same exact discussion will go on there as here.

Don't forget the DS4 button prompts like the Batman demo at Sony's latest E3 conference..

SaberEdge

Why are we disregarding other Gaffers who was at the events opinions on the matter? I have seen several post say the gameplay footage looked pretty damn close to the trailers but had allot of aliasing. Is everyone who have actually seen the actual game play and had good things to say about it liars too?

It's kind of ridiculous. These naysayers are ignoring everything being said about the gameplay footage by Gaffers, youtubers and journalists.

I keep hearing these people say things like "the gameplay will look nothing like this"..."show us the gameplay"..."if it really looked that good they would be showing us the gameplay instead of a cinematic trailer".

But, let's be honest, what would that change? Gameplay has been shown at a private event, but these people are flat out ignoring what those that saw the gameplay are saying about it.

It wouldn't matter if DICE released gameplay footage today, most of these people would simply shift to saying the gameplay itself is a lie.

robgrab

For those of us who saw the EA demo yesterday at Star Wars Celebration they said that the demo they were showing was going to be "destroyed" afterwards and would never be shown again publicly. They spent the first five minutes talking about how we were all being filmed and that if anyone was caught recording they'd shut everything down. The next time anyone is likely to see actual gameplay will be at E3, which is only two months away. Hopefully it will look better by then since what we saw was an early PS4 alpha build. I'd REALLY love for the E3 demo to running on a high end PC to see what it's capable of but for some reason they seem to be pushing the PS4 angle HARD. This leads me to believe that Sony is throwing money at them and there will be some PS4 exclusive content at some point.

Now that I've had some time to reflect on what I saw and watched the trailer a few more times I think those expecting to see a 1:1 recreation of gameplay matching the trailer will be sorely disappointed. While I do believe the trailer was "rendered" using the engine it was most certainly NOT real-time. The trailer contains lots of effects and that would be impossible to pull off real-time on a console running at 1080p/60fps with 40 players. I doubt even a high end PC with triple Titan Xs could pull that off. That's just the reality of current hardware and I'm okay with it.

While what we saw looks very good there are some things that hurt the visual quality overall. Most evident is the jaggies, which is likely a combination of low resolution and lack of anti-aliasing. I think this is a direct result of targeting 60fps. Something had to be sacrificed to achieve this though they still have a few months to optimize so it could improve. Hopefully the E3 demo will be a much newer build.

All of us who saw the gameplay demo seem to agree that we were impressed with what we saw. The lighting, object, and animation quality were very good overall and a "fair" representation of what the trailer looks like. There will be those who won't buy it because it doesn't look EXACTLY like the trailer but Star Wars fans looking for a next gen SW Battlefront experience should be pleased. I liked what I saw enough that I will be buying it even though I don't typically play multiplayer games. My girlfriends 13 year old son was also with me and was so excited by what he saw I expected to turn and see him throwing money at the screen. All I can say is adjust your expectations accordingly and you won't be disappointed.

SaberEdge

The engine can make it's own trailers - ie add cinematic effects that won't be in the game so they don't need to export the models to something like Maya or 3D studio.
Like special calculations for the lighting, motion blur, outputting single frames in a queue etc.

"The assets are the same." Not the effects or settings. The models.

Assets are not just "models". Technically speaking, assets can be anything that goes into making a game look the way it does, minus the coding of the engine itself.

TyrantII

It wouldn't matter if DICE released gameplay footage today, most of these people would simply shift to saying the gameplay itself is a lie.

I disagree. It sucks that the gaming community is so cynical now a days, but as they say this isn't our first pony show. It's a cynicism of publishers own making mixed in with fanboy BS they they stoke to their own advantage when it serves their bottom line. c'est la vie.

I'll be ecstatic if it looks like that, even more so if it plays even better than it looks. But I have no need to carry water for DICE and EA when all we have is a cinematic trailer with no gameplay, and word of mouth from a tiny preview behind closed doors in a very controlled environment.

Those folks saw exactly what DICE wanted them to see. Hell, we don't even know if there was a NDA on what they could and couldn't talk about to see the footage.

The arguing either way is pointless, unless we have video and hands on opinions. For IQ and tech specs, especially until someone with an eye for that gets some hands on, and not some scrub that barely can figure out how to change an input on a HDTV, let alone thinks resolution can't "be handled".

I don't think those of that are excited, but not too impressed yet, are out of line. Just waiting for the EA to show the money.

TheMAK

Banned
For those of us who saw the EA demo yesterday at Star Wars Celebration they said that the demo they were showing was going to be "destroyed" afterwards and would never be shown again publicly. They spent the first five minutes talking about how we were all being filmed and that if anyone was caught recording they'd shut everything down. The next time anyone is likely to see actual gameplay will be at E3, which is only two months away. Hopefully it will look better by then since what we saw was an early PS4 alpha build. I'd REALLY love for the E3 demo to running on a high end PC to see what it's capable of but for some reason they seem to be pushing the PS4 angle HARD. This leads me to believe that Sony is throwing money at them and there will be some PS4 exclusive content at some point.

Now that I've had some time to reflect on what I saw and watched the trailer a few more times I think those expecting to see a 1:1 recreation of gameplay matching the trailer will be sorely disappointed. While I do believe the trailer was "rendered" using the engine it was most certainly NOT real-time. The trailer contains lots of effects and that would be impossible to pull off real-time on a console running at 1080p/60fps with 40 players. I doubt even a high end PC with triple Titan Xs could pull that off. That's just the reality of current hardware and I'm okay with it.

While what we saw looks very good there are some things that hurt the visual quality overall. Most evident is the jaggies, which is likely a combination of low resolution and lack of anti-aliasing. I think this is a direct result of targeting 60fps. Something had to be sacrificed to achieve this though they still have a few months to optimize so it could improve. Hopefully the E3 demo will be a much newer build.

All of us who saw the gameplay demo seem to agree that we were impressed with what we saw. The lighting, object, and animation quality were very good overall and a "fair" representation of what the trailer looks like. There will be those who won't buy it because it doesn't look EXACTLY like the trailer but Star Wars fans looking for a next gen SW Battlefront experience should be pleased. I liked what I saw enough that I will be buying it even though I don't typically play multiplayer games. My girlfriends 13 year old son was also with me and was so excited by what he saw I expected to turn and see him throwing money at the screen. All I can say is adjust your expectations accordingly and you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the info and opinion.

Sucks that they are pushing the PS4 version that hard though... Same for some Xbox marketed games... just show me the 3 versions mike CDR did a few months back or simple PC version and be open about it.

SaberEdge

This is all very reasonable. Throughout my comments on this topic I've consistently said that gameplay will not be a 100% match to this trailer, especially on consoles.

Regular gameplay will not have the benefit of cinematic camera angles and location specific animations. And it will definitely look rougher in terms of things like aliasing, image sharpness/clarity and, perhaps, draw distance and LOD changes --at least in the console versions.

My issue has always been with the contention that "the gameplay will look nothing like this".

Your description is pretty close to what I was expecting.

Boke1879

All reasonable. Just give me a game that looks a bit better than BF4 with 60fps on PS4 and I'm happy. I'm sure some of the technical issues will be ironed out. Optimization is usually the last thing in development and they have more than enough time to get it right.

All in all just give me a game that will look good and play well and is fun.

Top Bottom