• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Trailer, game will be 60 fps

Might have been takkes about, but this pre-order page talks about some form of early access for ps4 as well.

m.gamestop.com/catalog/product/121214

Do we know anything about this? Has Sony managed to come up with something to counter the EA access program on X1?

Not sure, but EA access isn't some exclusive deal Microsoft made with EA, EA access was offered to Sony as well and they declined it and I don't blame them since they don't want no parts of any games/rental services that is not there own. Whatever the case may be I wouldn't look at it as a counter since Sony has the market share with these current gen consoles. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/sony-said-no-to-ps4-ea-access-program-because-its-/1100-6421390/

p3tran

Banned
this e3 will be great timing for sony to announce ea access and couple it with the marketing deal has for battlefront.
but even if they dont do ea access AND somehow offer something for battlefront that overlaps access, that might work miracles for sony too.
for example, if i can get earlier access and/or equal discount/offer in my ps4 than in my xbox for battlefront, for sure I aint renewing my ea access subscription. cause in that case, ea access instead of a premium ea service in my eyes will look like a "fleece you whenever we can' service. of course that also will mean that i will stop buying ea games locked on xbox, and may as well buy them on sony's platform instead.

interesting how it will play out...

bj00rn_

Banned
Every fucking time.. The underestimation of image quality and cinematics in these carefully tailored and directed pr-videos to generate buzz and pre-orders. Just ask yourselves is it really realistic that EA single-handedly suddenly has solved all general image quality challenges on all platforms in one effort? Of course not. Not just EA, but Dice as well. They've done this so many times before it isn't funny anymore. Nobody should believe this bullshit.

HariKari

I'm fascinated by the fact that people on this forum will defend the Uncharted cut scene to death and say the game will definitely look like that on release with no downgrade, but are also 100% sure that Battlefront is bullshit and WILL be downgraded...

I have no dog in the fight as a PC player, but you can't really compare an exclusive, homegrown title with the full backing of Sony engineers to a multiplatform game. Historical precedent for Battlefield says this title is going to be smothered in jaggies and frame drops when it does eventually arrive. If we're not going to go off recent history, what then? A fully prebaked, polished trailer?

Striek

LTTP but just watched the trailer. Fuckin' LOL at the "in-engine footage" notification. It looks bleeding fantastic but the latest edge PC isn't gonna play that at 5fps, let alone 60. Lets be honest Dice/EA and show the erm, you know, game.

SaberEdge

I have no dog in the fight as a PC player, but you can't really compare an exclusive, homegrown title with the full backing of Sony engineers to a multiplatform game. Historical precedent for Battlefield says this title is going to be smothered in jaggies and frame drops when it does eventually arrive. If we're not going to go off recent history, what then? A fully prebaked, polished trailer?

Image quality in terms of things like aliasing is one thing, but plenty of multiplats have looked better than plenty of exclusives.

It's true that exclusives tend to have an advantage, but it's far from a general rule.

I think a lot of people want to downplay multiplats and overhype exclusives. There have been many graphically outstanding multiplats that have been some of the best looking games of their days. Even more so if we're talking about the PC versions of multiplats.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm late to this thread, do people think the game will not look like that, or not look like that on consoles?

Rafy

OK, someone might have already brought this up but what if we see the Stardestroyer crash on Jakku as a levolution kinda thing? Think Siege of Shanghai in BF4 where the skyscraper collapses.

DOWN

Banned
OK, someone might have already brought this up but what if we see the Stardestroyer crash on Jakku as a levolution kinda thing? Think Siege of Shanghai in BF4 where the skyscraper collapses.
That's what it looked like to me, considering it seems to be mid explosion in the trailer. Like maybe it crashes and causes a massive rush of sand from the impact on the desert and that makes the map get quickly clouded over. It seems to at least be a cool active background.

Rafy

That's what it looked like to me, considering it seems to be mid explosion in the trailer. Like maybe it crashes and causes a massive rush of sand from the impact on the desert and that makes the map get quickly clouded over. It seems to at least be a cool active background.

Exactly, maybe like the sandstorm in Hardline.

Yoday

Thae visuals seen in that trailer are pretty much what I always expected going into the new generation, IQ differences aside. I feel like this generation has spent so much time in the cross gen and remaster space that people have forgotten what a generational leap can be. When first year games can look like Deiveclub and AC Unity, then there is no reason that a second or third year game from a company that pushes high end visuals can't look like that Battlefront trailer. As long as people keep expecting cross gen and remaster level visuals from these consoles we are going to continue to see this level of disbelief. I anticipate many more threads like this around E3 time, and a lot of jaws to be dropping this fall. This generation has only just begun thanks to its cross gen powered incredibly slow start, and I for one am expecting a lot more visually in the years to come. You don't get ten times the GPU power and RAM and only see minor visual improvements with a resolution bump.

Thae visuals seen in that trailer are pretty much what I always expected going into the new generation, IQ differences aside. I feel like this generation has spent so much time in the cross gen and remaster space that people have forgotten what a generational leap can be. When first year games can look like Deiveclub and AC Unity, then there is no reason that a second or third year game from a company that pushes high end visuals can't look like that Battlefront trailer. As long as people keep expecting cross gen and remaster level visuals from these consoles we are going to continue to see this level of disbelief. I anticipate many more threads like this around E3 time, and a lot of jaws to be dropping this fall. This generation has only just begun thanks to its cross gen powered incredibly slow start, and I for one am expecting a lot more visually in the years to come. You don't get ten times the GPU power and RAM and only see minor visual improvements with a resolution bump.

You pretty much nailed it. I am a bit skeptic regarding the level of AA, though. Not that I cannot believe it to be possible, but it just seems to be a bit too clean for a third party game running on PS4.

I need to clarify something with you guys. The trailer was running on a PS4 right? Most of dice said it was PS4 footage and their community manager said on the PS4 blog it was PS4 footage.

In response to question 16

I wanted to ask and double check because if it is, then something really strange is going on at the XBO official youtube page.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Nope.

"Representative of PS4 footage." You can see it right at the end of the trailer past the splash screen, near where it says not actual gameplay.

It's not just IQ (resolution and aa (right?)) that's going to be down...

The lighting is like ray tracing quality or fantastic global illumination. The particles are movie quality.

Lighting changes so much just by itself. If they were to sacrifice everything and just keep the lighting I would be so happy, but I don't think the consoles or PC can actually do it at that quality in real time. Hell I'd take a toned back version for sure, even just something that fakes it. It's not going to look like the trailer though.

I'd be damn excited for future games if they somehow manage it, but there won't be any. Everything would be EA.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The punchy sound of the ATAT's cannons is soooooo goooooood.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
^ Nope.

"Representative of PS4 footage." You can see it right at the end of the trailer past the splash screen, near where it says not actual gameplay footage.

It's not just IQ (resolution and aa (right?)) that's going to be down...

The lighting is like ray tracing quality or fantastic global illumination. The particles are movie quality.

I'd be damn excited for future games if they somehow manage it, but there won't be any. Everything will be EA.
I don't think it looks that good. And maybe the lighting is baked, because I didn't see any level destruction.

Neither. Obviously a powerful pc will come closer.
It will look like that in cutscenes.
The game will have cutscenes?

I still think a ton of people in here are smoking big old doobies about this game's possible look and performance on consoles. There was so much displacement mapping and geometry in that trailer. Seriously... just look at this random tree:
vlcsnap-2015-04-18-00q5ul2.png

How many console games tesselate (anything)? Their hardware is pre-bonaire, it seems illogical to use so much of it considering how much it tanks performance on AMD hardware.

DOWN

Banned
The game will have cutscenes?

I still think a ton of people in here are smoking big old doobies about this game's possible look and performance on consoles. There was so much displacement mapping and geometry in that trailer. Seriously... just look at this random tree:

How many console games tesselate (anything)? Their hardware is pre-bonaire, it seems illogical to use so much of it considering how much it tanks performance on AMD hardware.

Maybe not but there will be scenes somewhere i guess :p
Intro cinematic

Sounds like what I expecting. Hoping for better AA than BF4 had.

It's going to support Atmos? How? That requires 62 speakers LOL
Actually Atmos is 62.2, but that is maximum number of it supports, smaller setups are supported. quoting myself here.
Basically it consists of up to 62.2 separate speaker feeds at the theatre rather than conventional cinema speaker systems for 5.1 or 7.1 This provides enhanced ambience in the auditor, both on the horizontal, and especially vertical, e.g. it'll actually sound like rain, or plane/helicopters overhead.

All 64 channels are much more versatile and can all be individually mixed, unlike conventional cinema with 5.1 or 7.1 speaker systems that are locally grouped (image shown below for comparison), Atmos is a much more realistic and natural sounding experience.

Dolby_Atmos_Theatre_Configuration.gif

Small auditorium example...

Atmos in the home is a bit different. it allows for 5.1 or 7.1 surround to have additional with speakers added, upward-firing or use ceiling speakers for 5.1.2, 7.1.2, 7.1.4... lots of options available. Maximum for home though is 34 speakers in a 24.1.10 config. Atmos over headphones uses psychoacoustics to fool the brain into where sound is being received from, similar to the fake 7.1 surround in gaming headsets, Atmos though has 128 individual audio objects simultaneously, this is huge and over headphones metadata provides the information on where those objects are placed is in 3D space.

Skyzard

Banned
I don't think it looks that good. And maybe the lighting is baked, because I didn't see any level destruction.

Ignoring the motion blur, check out the subtle differences in lighting:

349ZH3a.png

You don't get that with games, you get it with movies. It's what makes a scene come to life.

Infamous has nothing on these particles:
Y3Zn4Qw.png

This is straight up avatar:

TXzkDvv.jpg

351Iilg.jpg

W4UCBQk.jpg

Not to mention the insane aa and resolution they must have been using.

DOWN

Banned

349ZH3a.png

You don't get that with games, you get it with movies. It's what makes a scene come to life.

Y3Zn4Qw.png

TXzkDvv.jpg

351Iilg.jpg

W4UCBQk.jpg

This makes it look even more unattainable. I never checked out the details in the particles and the reflection of the explosion.

bluehat9

Watching the trailer with characters tripping, falling over, and hiding from explosions, has anyone said if this will have AI guys on each side in addition to human players like Titanfall? Or was that all just "cinematic effect"?

349ZH3a.png

Y3Zn4Qw.png

TXzkDvv.jpg

351Iilg.jpg

W4UCBQk.jpg

Biggest smoking gun evidence is 60fps with those visuals. It's just not possible not even at 720p. Sorry, but no. And that's not even mentioning the ridiculously good motion blur.

DOWN

Banned
Keep in mind that "representative of PS4 footage" is not the same as "PS4 footage".
Problem is, it implies they attempted to create images comparable to those they will produce on PS4, but we know it won't be that way by quite a gap.

Skyzard

Banned
^ It's representative like a keychain is representative of the eiffel tower.

I hope star wars fans can sue for emotional sabotage, erm misleading advertising.

They can do these graphics on consoles with 60 fpmonth.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Problem is, it implies they attempted to create images comparable to those they will produce on PS4, but we know it won't be that way by quite a gap.

Well from what we are hearing, IQ seems to be the biggest difference. Otherwise the look of the trailer is said to be intact.

Obviously the game with have aliasing, shimmering, etc as all games on console do. That said it still will look phenominal.

With PBR, 24 less players, likely removed destruction, and being built current gen only, the game has every right to look spectacular. And BF4 without all of those advantages managed to look fantastic as well.

biteren

just as the new info seated everyones hype for Battlefront, the E3 gameplay footage will do the same for visuals (unless they just straight show PC footage which will be likely).

SinShep

^ It's representative like a keychain is representative of the eiffel tower.

I hope star wars fans can sue for emotional sabotage, erm misleading advertising.

They can do these graphics on consoles with 60 fpmonth.

What makes you so sure that the game is in no possible way going to be this level of quality when you haven't seen gameplay?

Skyzard

Banned
^ I watched the trailer.

Some more info (maybe not new), from QA on Twitter:

Q: Is there only 4 planets[?] – ‏@Jack_Holeo424

A: We have 4 iconic planets & on those many maps to play on. We’re going to take you places you’ve never been before.

Q: map size? – @Bozisaur

A: We have varying map sizes, from large to small, to cater to different experiences and different modes

Q: 2 maps per planet: 8 multiplayer maps at launch[?] – @BFBulletin

A: There will be more maps than 8, and more than two per planet at launch.

Q: Will there be some sort of instant action mode with bots? – @piggy5990

A: We have a feature called Missions that allow you to play solo or cooperatively with bots on or offline

Q: will two people be able to play on the same console? – @tman 34611

A: Yes, you can play our Mission feature in local splitscreen on your console, or online coop

Q: Will you be able to play split-screen while playing online with friends? – @grantrichardi

A: Split-screen is for local play only, so it is for when you play Missions with a friend

Q: Will we be able to pilot/drive AT-ST’s? – @WynnePope

A: You will be able to pilot AT-STs, as well as many more iconic vehicles, like X-wings and Tie fighters

Q: options for 1st and 3rd person view? – @TheoDangerous

A: When playing as a soldier, you can freely choose between 1st and 3rd person views whenever you want

Q: are we going to be able to participate in space battles? – @Biggzy96

A: You will be able to take to the skies over our planets and dogfight with squadrons of starfighters

Q: I don’t like the idea of day 1 dlc – @nforgrav

A: The battle of Jakku is not a day one dlc, it is free content we want you all to have as soon as it is done

Q: Were those graphics shown in the trailer in-game? – @Segmatron73

A: Yes, the trailer was filmed in engine, using our in-game models

Q: why no prequels? – @Bumi_Bandias

A: I love everything Star Wars, but for Battlefront, we have focused on the original trilogy

Q: apart from graphics and online how is this different from the original games? – @dreeewmay

A: It is both different and similar in many ways. This is why we have done a reboot instead of calling it Battlefront 3

Q: How to play Darth Vader, Boba Fett and co’ ? – @SangraL_

A: Heroes depend heavily on the game mode. We will tell you more about heroes at a later date

Q: in the game can we play like jedi and sith? – @montiel115

A: You can play more than that, but so far we have only revealed Vader and Boba Fett. More will come.

Q: in the trailer we saw a deployable shield used, is there other new equipment like this? – @qtguyswag9000

A: Yes, the shield is a Battlefront powerup, and we have many more to reveal in the future

Q: What character customization will be available in game? Surely there will be character/load out choices? – @TheChromeKing

A: You will have great freedom in customizing your own playstyle, essentially creating your own playstyle

Q: will there be a sort of progression system to level up and unlock new guns/upgrades? – @kersp3dy

A: Yes, there will be plenty of things to unlock, achieve and collect. More on this will be revealed at a later date!

HariKari

What makes you so sure that the game is in no possible way going to be this level of quality when you haven't seen gameplay?

A trailer that isn't live gameplay running on a console can be as ridiculous as developers want it to be. That's why it says "not actual gameplay footage" after the trailer ends.

Because the only PS4 game that comes close to this in graphics is The Order 1886.

The Order runs at half the frame rate, has very linear levels, doesnt have 40 players, and doesn't have to worry about optimizing for any other platform other than the PS4.

There's a reason why they didnt show 1 second of gameplay, because it doesnt look like that.

Top Bottom