• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Destiny CCG |OT| Space Magic

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
man.. planetary uprising is near mandatory in poe maz. so much fucking support in this game now.. sabotage is almost an auto include in every yellow deck as well. sadly I can only run two sabotage while red hero can run three PITA supports (2 planetary uprising and 3PO)

I was just talking about this with j. I don't run either one -- too expensive! (ymmv) :D

It's Poe baby! Just have Maz lob up a ship and he'll jam it home. He doesn't need all that fanciness. ;)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I was just talking about this with j. I don't run either one -- too expensive! (ymmv) :D

It's Poe baby! Just have Maz lob up a ship and he'll jam it home. He doesn't need all that fanciness. ;)

so I had a tough time against Emperor without it. It is expensive, but it's basically a gun that then hits every single turn. against emperor I was having a hard time matching his damage output. in the two games we played today, one game he burned down Poe and the other he burned down Maz (with a second chance). but in both cases, even with a Rise Again, PU was basically a timer for him.

Sabotage isn't expensive at all though. 1 resource and it gets rid of the majority of annoying imperial supports for 0 discards. and 3PO with 1 discard.

Anywho.. this is what I'll be playing in a couple of hours.

Played 3 games over the course of a weekend between other shenanigans in Denver. Enjoyed it even just with decks from two starter packs. Guess it's time to buy a box of SoR when available?

Not like I needed to save up any money any way...
SoR is pretty readily available now. If stores are absolutely sold out in your area, (check barnes and noble brick and mortar), restocks happen next thursday.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh I have Friendly Fire for Palp. Take that sucka!! I expect to see a lot of him because our meta LOVES Blue Villains.

borghe

Omfg. Poe Maz went 1-2 tonight..... omfg. First match was Nines and Baby Vader. The guy ended with only 3 cards left in his hand. All I needed was two actions. Resolve ranged and claim. Oh but it gets better. Apparently one of the three cards in his hand was lightsaber. But Maz was Dug In with 1 health. So he could roll in and resolve and as long as he didn't get the special I won. 84% chance I win. He got the special. FFFFFUUUUUUUU

Game two was against the Maz Padme Snap mill. I've actually crushed this mill plenty of times. Not worried. Unless I don't get Fast Hands all game. Oh and unless every roll out of Poe is 1 resource and 1 disrupt. No problem I'll roll in Maz. 1 damage and 1 shield. All. Fucking. Game. I did 18 damage before he milled me out. And 9 of it was an early Thermal with the rest of most of it rerolls and resolving the 3 damage for 1 because that's all I got and couldn't afford another reroll against mill.

So then I caught the bye which ended 1-2. BUT that isn't even the win I was referring to. So I went against my buddy who took second with his ePalp. I killed him in turn 3.

This fucking game.

Edit - on the up side (sigh), I got all of my trades in the mail. I now have a full play set except for 1 Deathtrooper, 1 Rebel Commando, and a Vibroknucklers.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Omfg. Poe Maz went 1-2 tonight..... omfg. First match was Nines and Baby Vader. The guy ended with only 3 cards left in his hand. All I needed was two actions. Resolve ranged and claim. Oh but it gets better. Apparently one of the three cards in his hand was lightsaber. But Maz was Dug In with 1 health. So he could roll in and resolve and as long as he didn't get the special I won. 84% chance I win. He got the special. FFFFFUUUUUUUU

Game two was against the Maz Padme Snap mill. I've actually crushed this mill plenty of times. Not worried. Unless I don't get Fast Hands all game. Oh and unless every roll out of Poe is 1 resource and 1 disrupt. No problem I'll roll in Maz. 1 damage and 1 shield. All. Fucking. Game. I did 18 damage before he milled me out. And 9 of it was an early Thermal with the rest of most of it rerolls and resolving the 3 damage for 1 because that's all I got and couldn't afford another reroll against mill.

So then I caught the bye which ended 1-2. BUT that isn't even the win I was referring to. So I went against my buddy who took second with his ePalp. I killed him in turn 3.

This fucking game.

Edit - on the up side (sigh), I got all of my trades in the mail. I now have a full play set except for 1 Deathtrooper, 1 Rebel Commando, and a Vibroknucklers.

Haha rough breaks -- good ol' Destiny! Poe/Maz is nice but it's not the broken meta-dominating group that the overreaction crowd says it is. Was crushing my friend's multi-tourney-winning V/R last time but he went 3-1 against me tonight with a few tweaks. So if they're ready and you roll coldish you're just as vulnerable as any decent deck. I'm actually realizing there's like 10 cards room worth of tweaking possible in this deck depending on your meta, and hell I'm even tinkering w/ things like A180 for the post-Dug-In surprise kill out of hand.

All things considered I still feel V/R is probably the best deck and the tough part is there's really no silver bullets like for Ranged w/ Deflect, Friendly Fire, etc.

borghe

Yeah, I told myself the flip side to this coin is that this guy was having the night of his life. He lucked out on rolling the light saber special against me, and then in the final match lucked out against ePalpatine when that player only needed to roll out damage on one of Palpatine's dice (55% chance) to win, and didn't.

Really it wasn't a bad night. The Vader match was intense and a little bummer to lose. The mill deck was just frustrating.. but I also misplayed. Yes Poe NEVER rolled damage.. and Maz NEVER rolled special (not a major exaggeration.....) but I also should have been using Poe's special to get Falcon and U-Wing to the table, and using Maz's resolves to get money to the table to play weapons to the board. Traditional Poe Maz is a death sentence against mill and I should have known that. About the only traditional card worth throwing away is thermal as that's its main point anyway.

So, now that I have my second knife, I can finally start putting together some melee decks. :D

Mark L

Haha rough breaks -- good ol' Destiny! Poe/Maz is nice but it's not the broken meta-dominating group that the overreaction crowd says it is. Was crushing my friend's multi-tourney-winning V/R last time but he went 3-1 against me tonight with a few tweaks. So if they're ready and you roll coldish you're just as vulnerable as any decent deck. I'm actually realizing there's like 10 cards room worth of tweaking possible in this deck depending on your meta, and hell I'm even tinkering w/ things like A180 for the post-Dug-In surprise kill out of hand.

All things considered I still feel V/R is probably the best deck and the tough part is there's really no silver bullets like for Ranged w/ Deflect, Friendly Fire, etc.

Poe/Maz may not be the meta-dominating group, but I am legit intimidated by eVader (DA)/eKylo. I built one of those decks myself and it is an unrepentant murder machine. 6-8 damage on turn one is perfectly normal.

borghe

Poe/Maz may not be the meta-dominating group, but I am legit intimidated by eVader (DA)/eKylo. I built one of those decks myself and it is an unrepentant murder machine. 6-8 damage on turn one is perfectly normal.

this is what I am looking at now that I got my second knife. either this or Rey Obi-Wan.

KnowOne

Neo Member
Good lord is Mill satisfying to play! (I'm sure its frustrating to play against though. LOL)

Im usually a strictly Aggro player. The previous list I had the most success with was eVeers/Guavian/Tie-Pilot with Training & Wingman. God rolls like crazy!

But this past weekend I tested out a new villain Mill deck I put together with eJabba/Krennick. With double Loose Ends, Black Mail, Con Artist, and Cunning to trigger the Con Artist special. And Command Center as battlefield for an additional 2 cards off the deck per round. I've Milled my opponents crazy fast. All the while preventing them from gettig a lot of their weapons out. Even was successful against aggro decks like ePalp and Palp/Tie Pilot. And I dont even have all the cards I need yet to really take this deck to the next level. But I think I've found my new fav deck.

What have you all been running lately? What decks do you hate having to play against?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I want a non-SW / non-CCG clone of this pretty badly... anything out there?
Nothing really close. The dice and cards thing is pretty novel. I'm not a Star Wars person at all (which always leads to funny interactions when I'm talking about cards at tournaments) but the game is just so good it doesn't matter to me. CCG part might be a little harder for you to get over but I'm sure people will copy this.

borghe

yes, that this is star wars is pretty ancillary. Zack from Team Covenant said it best "I would love this game no matter what skin it had on it."

I do think I've found the kryptonite to SoR's strong mill game. 4 character decks. I've played about half a dozen games now and have come to a few realizations:

1 - cheap characters often have substantially better dice than expensive characters in general.

2- this is balanced by being able to wipe out "half" of an elite dice set by doing only "half" of the damage. So if you do 6 damage to Luke, he still has two dice to deal with. If you do 7 damage to one of two stormtroopers, you only have one die to deal with.

3 - a stormtrooper deck in particular means potentially 4 dice every round you have to remove, especially true as they have no modified sides.

4 - because 4 character decks usually struggle for resources, and have to spread weapons around, they often play cheap events.. Mostly 0 cost.. some 1 cost. rarely anything more expensive than that. In particular this is brutal for Unkar's ability.

so yeah.. I played my unkar/trooper/deathtrooper deck against three troopers and tie pilot and I think I scooped like 4-5 games.. unkar dying turn 2, not really generating sizable resources (really in most games dying with maybe 3 resources in my pool), and the game I won came down mostly to a perfect combination of strong mitigation in my starting hand combined with lack of solid damage by my opponent. I got out of round 1 with like 2 damage on my side of the board. Then ramp was easy.

Heh I took a deep dive and joined mini tournament instead of learning in casual games :) Went not so bad actually lost 3 and got one bye but 2 of those games were quite close.

This game feels good but seriously those strings of actions and execuciting dies without action is taking away from the mind games of using your die the best and manipulating with opponent rolls.

Is it lpossible to claim Imperial Armory and use It binds all things to play upgrade with cost reduced by two points ?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yes, that this is star wars is pretty ancillary. Zack from Team Covenant said it best "I would love this game no matter what skin it had on it."

I do think I've found the kryptonite to SoR's strong mill game. 4 character decks. I've played about half a dozen games now and have come to a few realizations:

1 - cheap characters often have substantially better dice than expensive characters in general.

2- this is balanced by being able to wipe out "half" of an elite dice set by doing only "half" of the damage. So if you do 6 damage to Luke, he still has two dice to deal with. If you do 7 damage to one of two stormtroopers, you only have one die to deal with.

3 - a stormtrooper deck in particular means potentially 4 dice every round you have to remove, especially true as they have no modified sides.

4 - because 4 character decks usually struggle for resources, and have to spread weapons around, they often play cheap events.. Mostly 0 cost.. some 1 cost. rarely anything more expensive than that. In particular this is brutal for Unkar's ability.

so yeah.. I played my unkar/trooper/deathtrooper deck against three troopers and tie pilot and I think I scooped like 4-5 games.. unkar dying turn 2, not really generating sizable resources (really in most games dying with maybe 3 resources in my pool), and the game I won came down mostly to a perfect combination of strong mitigation in my starting hand combined with lack of solid damage by my opponent. I got out of round 1 with like 2 damage on my side of the board. Then ramp was easy.

Poe / Maz and their thermals + U-Wing specials say hi

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Heh I took a deep dive and joined mini tournament instead of learning in casual games :) Went not so bad actually lost 3 and got one bye but 2 of those games were quite close.

This game feels good but seriously those strings of actions and execuciting dies without action is taking away from the mind games of using your die the best and manipulating with opponent rolls.

Is it lpossible to claim Imperial Armory and use It binds all things to play upgrade with cost reduced by two points ?
Yes it is. Action chaining is strong but just kind of something you have to build around. There are more things now that sort of preemptively avert problems, like Personal Shield and the like if you're really concerned.

borghe

Poe / Maz and their thermals + U-Wing specials say hi
Oh of course. I wasn't saying "omfg he found the secret sauce!!!" I was saying in the context of my Unkar mill deck, the four Trooper list might just be its Kryptonite. Especially with that damn Tie Pilot meaning it's two cards to remove multiple ranged dice.

And in related news, I am now running a local store's Destiny events. Heh. They even have a second Store Championship kit I'll be running in the next couple of months. They actually had two kits but only had a TO at the one store. I just casually asked if they had ANY TOs for Store Champs and they said they were looking for an event runner for that location. Woot!!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh of course. I wasn't saying "omfg he found the secret sauce!!!" I was saying in the context of my Unkar mill deck, the four Trooper list might just be its Kryptonite. Especially with that damn Tie Pilot meaning it's two cards to remove multiple ranged dice.

And in related news, I am now running a local store's Destiny events. Heh. They even have a second Store Championship kit I'll be running in the next couple of months. They actually had two kits but only had a TO at the one store. I just casually asked if they had ANY TOs for Store Champs and they said they were looking for an event runner for that location. Woot!!

Yeah I'm now annoyed that people are saying Poe/Maz is top deck as I hate playing top deck. Going to have to figure something out or just hope it hasn't permeated our blue-villain-crazy meta. I think 3-char lists are just in rough shape as long as Poe as around with his thermals, but gonna play around with some stuff see if there's any way to cut down on the punchiness. The problem is I've played against so many of these rando decks -- lots of Personal Shield, Hunker Down, discard, etc. and they all pretty much get destroyed. Blue villain is still solid though and mostly a scary fight so it's not like there isn't any competition. Just the jank stuff like Unkar and the like probably isn't doing so hot and that might be frustrating people. Technically Unkar should be amazing because of all the high-cost stuff in Poe's deck but honestly even when playing Unkar I can usually throw out my high-cost upgrade before Unkar can even do anything, and by the tie he lines up a discard I've got like 1/0/0 cost in hand.

borghe

Just played Baby Vader Kylo tonight. One was against ePalp where I didn't have an upgrade outside of Holocron til turn 3. And the other I essentially never rolled damage. Sigh. Still get like a solid deck. The ePalp game went surprisingly close. Had him to 12 damage. Had I actually had upgrades the first two turns I probably would have won.

Also had three games with Poe Maz where they Poe'd and Maz'd. If only it had played like that Monday night I'd have some damn tokens.

KnowOne

Neo Member
Baby Vader/Kylo is the only deck that beat my Jabba/Krennic last week. When it rolls well it can deal some serious pain.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/9547/budgetqui-gonreideck-1.0

how does it look for my first deck ?

I've tried to get tons of die removal/manipulation as well as some shield generators for Qui-Gon tricks

I don't know what cards you have but generally I just check out top lists for inspiration. They usually have significant flaws but good cores. E.g.: http://swdestinydb.com/decklist/view/8824/undefeatedat20persontournamentqui-gonrey-1.0

Like I'd take a hard look at stuff like Destiny and another Defensive Stance. If you're going to use supports you'll be going super slow so I'd suggest a zero-effect (for you) BF like Secluded Beach. If you're looking at a support to fix your rolls, and do plan on having lots of specials, I'd check out Meditate or something over BB-8.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
First Store Championship today.

tl;dr - played Poe/Maz, undefeated and 1st place in Swiss. Store was really screwy and forced 1st and 2nd to play in Top 4, and only made it Best of 1 (wtf!) - I lost to Poe/Maz that got way better rolls / draws in that game.

A little salty about not getting to play 3rd or 4th place - both of which I had already beat. Also salty about a random best of one, I definitely felt like the better pilot there in that game.

happy overall though to get the deck box and mat.

Poe Maz went 17-4 in the tournament, 13-0 vs non Poe-Maz decks, only 4 losses were to mirrors.

Longer breakdown.

Poe / Mas deck Astrolad and I have been tweaking and talking about. I made a couple big changes which got it where it needed to be finally.

Round 1 vs Baby Vader / Kylo (Russell, finished 3-1, 3rd after Swiss, lost in Final Four) - This deck is really scary, you need to kill Baby Vader, but the Poe deck is really afraid of Kylo too. This guy was a good player, he just hadn't seen Poe/Maz and I don't think he had much (or any) experience with his deck. I was able to resolve 6 Poe dice in 3 turns, including 5 specials. He killed Maz first turn (yikes!), and if he had put that on Poe, it's a much closer game. I closed out with a claim + Planetary Uprising to kill baby Vader on action 2 of Turn 3.

Round 2 vs Poe / Maz (Edwin, Made it to final game, don't know who won, finished Swiss 3-1)
Mirrior match. I got better draws / rolls. That's how these things go with Poe / Maz.

Round 3 vs Ben's (3-1, finished 5th) - Vader / Raider. - This game was scary as he got his battle field. Play of the game was a negotiate on a blank Raider and Holocron. I didn't know it, but he was holding angers and I neutered that turn for him. I found the thermals and such I needed. Poe killed Vader right before he died, and Maz got a DL-44 and Planetary Uprising to finish with 4 health left.

Big pairing controversy here because it seemed like challenge was messing it up. I got paired down, while 2 3-0 Poe / Mao's played each other. One of them lost and fell to 8th, so I'm still not convinced their SoS software is working correctly.

Round 4 vs Matt/Mike (I think?) Vader/Royal Guard - Was a little worried but got my battlefield, he got an early vibroknife on Vader and he absorbed a 3-for-1 from Poe early on the Guard so I focused the Guard down. I had a bad turn where he discarded me and with Vader I ran out of good stuff and wasn't super productive. He made a bad play with Poe down to 3 health and 2 shields, and I negotiated and he took back the Vibroknife. Big mistake. Let poe survive long enough to be Field medic and I got one more turn out of Poe. Was able to close out with Planetary and Maz.

Cut to Top 4. Was first after Swiss.

Final Four (1 vs 2?!?!?! wtf store) vs Jun (made final table, unsure of result, 4-0 in Swiss) Poe / Maz. Simply he got his Hit-and-run and Thermal and good rolls, I did not. My first turn Poe didn't roll damage or special, and Maz didn't roll focus. Was behind the rest of the game. Complete wipeout.

Poe / Maz is kinda busted. You need a lot of removal and to always remove any Poe dice you can. period.

Glad to see a different deck won TC. I think there are counters, but it dominated today in Bakersfield.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Poe / Maz is kinda busted. You need a lot of removal and to always remove any Poe dice you can. period.

Glad to see a different deck won TC. I think there are counters, but it dominated today in Bakersfield.

First off congrats and jelly that you got all the SC goodies already -- well except the bye (meh) and plaque (ok that's pretty cool). :D

Secondly yeah when you described the P/M domination I was really worried, but then seeing reports of P/M barely doing well in other big tournaments gives me a little hope. Maybe P/M is just a Cali thing :p. It'll be like Netrunner when all the Americans were playing one style and all the Euros another. :D (In this case it seems like two of the dominant emerging archetypes are Poe+ (usu. Maz, but also possibly Rey and in a different build Snap) and blue melee with vibro.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
First off congrats and jelly that you got all the SC goodies already -- well except the bye (meh) and plaque (ok that's pretty cool). :D

Secondly yeah when you described the P/M domination I was really worried, but then seeing reports of P/M barely doing well in other big tournaments gives me a little hope. Maybe P/M is just a Cali thing :p. It'll be like Netrunner when all the Americans were playing one style and all the Euros another. :D (In this case it seems like two of the dominant emerging archetypes are Poe+ (usu. Maz, but also possibly Rey and in a different build Snap) and blue melee with vibro.

didn't get the acrylic Phasma card either. :(.

Guy I beat won the whole thing, I should've had a rematch with him in the Semi-final.

and yeah, I wouldn't read too much into Poe/Maz yet. A group of really strong LA players took it up there, but one guy wasn't experienced with it at all, and still took it far in the tourney.

I think we caught the Bakersfield crew completely off guard, they hadn't seen it yet or played against it. In the TC tourney and others, people HAVE seen it, and know how to slow it down. The guy who finished 3rd with Baby Vader / Raider had never seen the Poe/Maz deck before and nearly beat it twice.

The biggest issue? Bad players can play Poe / Maz and if they draw / roll decently, win games. (and I say that as a guy benefitting from Poe/Maz today)

borghe

So wait, what? There are two Phasma acrylics (technically three). Where did the other one go?

And for Store Champs, I would almost call FFG. I mean there aren't Top Cut bylaws or anything, but generally playing for the plaque and Regionals bye, I would get pretty pissy about one game elimination.

My plan is to cut to top whatever. Anything above 4 is single game. 4 and Champs is best of three. I can't stop anyone from conceding but there are too many hurt feelings when 3 of the top 4 don't want to play anymore but the 4th seed is all pissy about not getting the acrylic and makes a big deal about it.

The biggest issue? Bad players can play Poe / Maz and if they draw / roll decently, win games. (and I say that as a guy benefitting from Poe/Maz today)
Ha it really is Jango Veers all over again!!

In my experience Nines plays well against it. You match aggro for aggro. Poe hits for 7 in a round. Nines hits for 8 (maybe even like 10-12 with Boundless). Strong villain control plays really well. There is a Jabba Unkar shell around that I am going to start testing. The goal is to empty hands. If you can empty their hands (especially pitching Fast Hands) and keep them with no resources, Poe Maz can do like 4-5 damage a round. You even only use Unkar when opportune, but a whole hand clear is preferable to waiting for Unkar to grab resources first.

With Yellow villain you can even bounce Fast Hands to their hand with Confiscation, and if you used Infamous on it use your ambust to dump their hand.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So wait, what? There are two Phasma acrylics (technically three). Where did the other one go?

And for Store Champs, I would almost call FFG. I mean there aren't Top Cut bylaws or anything, but generally playing for the plaque and Regionals bye, I would get pretty pissy about one game elimination.

My plan is to cut to top whatever. Anything above 4 is single game. 4 and Champs is best of three. I can't stop anyone from conceding but there are too many hurt feelings when 3 of the top 4 don't want to play anymore but the 4th seed is all pissy about not getting the acrylic and makes a big deal about it.

Ha it really is Jango Veers all over again!!

In my experience Nines plays well against it. You match aggro for aggro. Poe hits for 7 in a round. Nines hits for 8 (maybe even like 10-12 with Boundless). Strong villain control plays really well. There is a Jabba Unkar shell around that I am going to start testing. The goal is to empty hands. If you can empty their hands (especially pitching Fast Hands) and keep them with no resources, Poe Maz can do like 4-5 damage a round. You even only use Unkar when opportune, but a whole hand clear is preferable to waiting for Unkar to grab resources first.

With Yellow villain you can even bounce Fast Hands to their hand with Confiscation, and if you used Infamous on it use your ambust to dump their hand.

The two Phasma acrylics went to the Top 2 players. I was first after Swiss, but lost in the first round of the playoff. That said, the seeding was fucked, I should've gotten to play the 4th seed, who I'd beaten (he ultimately won the whole thing though). Instead, I had to play 2nd place, which ended up ensuring that one of the unbeaten Swiss players would fall before the final. Really sucked. The store has since said they were wrong on this and made the incorrect call on the seeding.

That said, I was facing a mirror match either way, so both games were basically 50/50 on draw / roll.

The third Phasma acrylic went to the store / organizer, I guess.

And that said - new tournament regulations from April do state 100% Store Championship cuts are single-elimination single games. Not best of 3. The community is wrong on that front and the store was right. So while I think their SoS was messed up, and their seeding was 100% incorrect, they were right on that front and Store Championships, by FFG rule, are best-of-ones after the cut.

I also think Poe/Maz is beatable, just people hadn't seen it yet and haven't figured it out. I chose it this week because of that, but my feeling is within a month or two, it won't be nearly as scary as it was.

borghe

Holy shit. I'm glad you told me that. I swear I saw Store Champs went best of three. Good thing I haven't put everything together yet.

And yeah, TO gets one of everything except plaque and bye card. Honestly all of the time I've put into getting this stupid game drummed up in the area and getting the Store to do the champs in the first place... however I will award away both Mon Mothmas. Thinking lowest place who doesn't drop. Not sure what to do with the other. Maybe just raffle.

Gave another shot at Unkar Trooper DTrooper and went 2-1 today. The loss wasn't even frustrating. It was ePalp and had he not rolled double 3s on the last round I would have won. I electroshocked 2 damage away. If he didn't have both 3 sides he wouldn't have had enough to kill me. At that point he would have needed to roll the damage side on Mind Probe with umm.. 1 or 2 tries. I think 2. I had Lying In Wait and one other card in my hand, but my guess is he would have rerolled to either win or lose right there. So yeah he would have had two rerolls because I would have to discard one before winning with LIW.

borghe

Oh and I don't think Imperial Inspection, or Second Chance, or Poe Maz etc is broken. However I do love as people sit back in their aggro aggro aggro shells how they get pissed about all of the new control. My opponent tonight was actually a great guy I hung out with at Worlds, but the look on his face when, with a shit load of damage rolled out and two cards left in his hand, I roll in Fast Hands and Blackmail on DTrooper, hit DTrooper's disrupt and Blackmail's 3 discard. Bounce both Holdout Blaster's back to his hand (both II's out) and discard his hand except for one. It left him with no unmodified damage to resolve and only one card for a reroll. With both Blasters now in discard he couldn't get the needed damage to kill me. And he's a great player!! It just shows the need in the new meta for control. If you don't have cards to handle supports or upgrades.. there are going to be a lot of long games where you are stuck with no upgrades, no money, and/or no cards.

Mark L

I wanted to see people's thoughts on this one.

Take the Shot
SWD DeckBuilder - Deck list

Villain
Rogue

Sets: Awakenings, Spirit of Rebellion

BATTLEFIELD
-----------
Ewok Village (Spirit of Rebellion #154)

CHARACTER
---------
1x Bala-Tik (Awakenings #19)
1x Aurra Sing (Spirit of Rebellion #18)

UPGRADE
-------
1x On The Hunt (Awakenings #26)
2x Holdout Blaster (Awakenings #63)
2x Cunning (Awakenings #65)
2x Jetpack (Awakenings #66)
1x Thermal Detonator (Awakenings #67)
1x Hunker Down (Awakenings #164)
1x Ascension Gun (Spirit of Rebellion #59)
1x Armor Plating (Spirit of Rebellion #89)
1x Fast Hands (Spirit of Rebellion #150)

SUPPORT
-------
2x Backup Muscle (Awakenings #99)
1x Slave I (Spirit of Rebellion #22)
2x Salvage Stand (Spirit of Rebellion #88)

EVENT
-----
2x He Doesn't Like You (Awakenings #97)
1x Electroshock (Awakenings #159)
1x Unpredictable (Awakenings #162)
2x Doubt (Spirit of Rebellion #80)
2x Bait and Switch (Spirit of Rebellion #82)
2x Friends in Low Places (Spirit of Rebellion #146)
1x Sabotage (Spirit of Rebellion #147)
2x Armed to the Teeth (Awakenings #93)

------------
Total cards: 30

I will be likely replacing Slave and Thermal with an electroshock and fast hands when I get them. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Kawl_USC

Alright snagged a box of SoR will have to spreadsheet out all my pulls and see if there's any decent deck I can make.

Might need to grab another box though....and then some awakenings boxes with that reprint. Ouch.

borghe

Well Unkar Trooper DTrooper has not done well for me. When it works it's beautiful. But not getting a good combo of cards early really hurts it. Last night in two games I didn't get Fast Hands until over halfway through. Blackmail with no Fast Hands basically equals a whole one resource every turn. A Han Rey player went two full rounds with Holdout Blasters, despite having an Imperial Inspection out. The deck seems to be crushed with poor card draw, more so than many other decks I've played.

Worst part is it was for a Q2 kit. I don't know what it is that I become afraid of playing "the meta" for tournaments. I had a killer Poe Maz put together.. even played the second place winner (also Poe Maz) and beat him 2-0. I need to just say "who cares if people bitch about [insert meta]?" and just play.

Worst part is I am busy the next Q2 night they're having D:

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Well Unkar Trooper DTrooper has not done well for me. When it works it's beautiful. But not getting a good combo of cards early really hurts it. Last night in two games I didn't get Fast Hands until over halfway through. Blackmail with no Fast Hands basically equals a whole one resource every turn. A Han Rey player went two full rounds with Holdout Blasters, despite having an Imperial Inspection out. The deck seems to be crushed with poor card draw, more so than many other decks I've played.

Worst part is it was for a Q2 kit. I don't know what it is that I become afraid of playing "the meta" for tournaments. I had a killer Poe Maz put together.. even played the second place winner (also Poe Maz) and beat him 2-0. I need to just say "who cares if people bitch about [insert meta]?" and just play.

Worst part is I am busy the next Q2 night they're having D:
Haha yeah man I'm the same way. I don't need to be a hipster but I hate playing the top deck and even more so the deck everyone's whinging about. That's why I played Han/Rey originally because I thought it was the best deck that wasn't a top deck, and no one was whinging about it until like months later. I was hoping Poe/Maz would be similarly received to Jango where it's like this T1/2 thing but not OMG FFG BROKE THE GAME. Honestly I feel like the whinging is completely unjustified. We play a ton of Poe Maz in our group and Blue Villain aggro is quite good against it, so the argument is already bad. I imagine choke/survival can do OK to but none of us like playing that so that's more theoretical. I'm actually moving more to baby Vaders and might just give Poe/Maz to my wife to play if I can keep my win % vs. Poe/Maz going with my baby Vaders deck.

Honestly I can tell that the whinging is from the fact that Poe/Maz absolutely crushes jank and garbage decks that can sneak out wins sometimes against less dependably aggro decks. And people feel entitled not only to making crap decks, but also to them winning in competitive play. Which is a ridiculous position.

Went for my second tournament with that list I posted - got lucky and win 2 lost 1 :)
I actually won against Poe-Maz deck - I claimed my battlefield and went first - he rolled badly on Poe which left both dice on table so I used guard to take both of them away :)

That's what I'm doing with the first one. Unless you mean do that with both?

I read you post as lowest place who doesn't top and i assumed you are giving prize to first player who didn't make a cut :)

Why Datapad? Also think about Jedi Robes and maybe consider Your Eyes Can Deceive You. Force Illusin is also starting to become a staple especially in midrange.

Datapad to change Force Throw dice into special and generate resources

borghe

https://www.reddit.com/r/swdestiny/..._clarifications_from/?st=J32ADIRA&sh=c57ad2a1

Huge news (imho). Basically the last week or so Simultaneous Abilities have been argued about over what "they" refers to when multiple players have simultaneous abilities entering the queue. Some (such as myself) said that the BF controller only had control over the order the players' abilities went into the queue, but not the ordering of a player's own abilities. My reasoning was that the first sentence in the RRG spells it out. When a player has multiple abilities, they decide the order. The problem is two sentences or so later, the RRG says when multiple players have abilities, the player controlling the battlefield determines the order THEY enter the queue. So others felt "they" referred to EVERY ability, allowing a Jango player for instance to say Blackmail resolves before Fast Hands on an opposing activation.

The problem I had with this was that... in the first sentence it CLEARLY stated that a player handles his own abilities entering the queue. So now that another player has an ability also, the first sentence is nullified? I have 3 abilities, but because my opponent has 1 ability and BF control he can determine the order of ALL abilities? That made no sense to me. I mean I can understand people determined at a literal level that's what "they" said.. but at a basic game mechanic level, it makes no sense. "You can do this, unless you can't because reasons."

Anywho, glad to see it laid to rest and it will be in the next FAQ. I did look for further clarification on one point

Player 1 has events A and B
Player 2 has event C and BF control

According to Lukas, player 2 can say it will go CAB or ABC only. He cannot say ACB, BAC, CBA, etc.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
https://www.reddit.com/r/swdestiny/..._clarifications_from/?st=J32ADIRA&sh=c57ad2a1

Huge news (imho). Basically the last week or so Simultaneous Abilities have been argued about over what "they" refers to when multiple players have simultaneous abilities entering the queue. Some (such as myself) said that the BF controller only had control over the order the players' abilities went into the queue, but not the ordering of a player's own abilities. My reasoning was that the first sentence in the RRG spells it out. When a player has multiple abilities, they decide the order. The problem is two sentences or so later, the RRG says when multiple players have abilities, the player controlling the battlefield determines the order THEY enter the queue. So others felt "they" referred to EVERY ability, allowing a Jango player for instance to say Blackmail resolves before Fast Hands on an opposing activation.

The problem I had with this was that... in the first sentence it CLEARLY stated that a player handles his own abilities entering the queue. So now that another player has an ability also, the first sentence is nullified? I have 3 abilities, but because my opponent has 1 ability and BF control he can determine the order of ALL abilities? That made no sense to me. I mean I can understand people determined at a literal level that's what "they" said.. but at a basic game mechanic level, it makes no sense. "You can do this, unless you can't because reasons."

Anywho, glad to see it laid to rest and it will be in the next FAQ. I did look for further clarification on one point

Player 1 has events A and B
Player 2 has event C and BF control

According to Lukas, player 2 can say it will go CAB or ABC only. He cannot say ACB, BAC, CBA, etc.

more accurately

According to Lukas, player 2 can say it will go (C)(AB) or (AB)(C) only. He cannot say ACB, BAC, CBA, or order the events of (AB)

borghe

man, I don't know why I'm such a glutton... played Unkar DTrooper Trooper AGAIN on lunch.. lol.. figured I'd be much more methodical. First game was a slam. Second game was going great, got to the end and he milled me out. No problem. I have 4 cards in hand. He has 1 card in hand. I have a Deathtrooper with 7 health and a stormtrooper with 7 health. Two Blackmails and Fast Hands on the Deathtrooper.

4 friggin rounds... FOUR FRIGGIN ROUNDS and I didn't roll a single discard.... I figured the odds. Starting with the first round he had 1 card left:

Round 1 56% likelihood
Round 2 69% likelihood
Round 3 84% likelihood
Round 4 91% likelihood

Just for kicks I rolled one more time. Missed. Likelihood of that happening? 5.5%.

this game.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
man, I don't know why I'm such a glutton... played Unkar DTrooper Trooper AGAIN on lunch.. lol.. figured I'd be much more methodical. First game was a slam. Second game was going great, got to the end and he milled me out. No problem. I have 4 cards in hand. He has 1 card in hand. I have a Deathtrooper with 7 health and a stormtrooper with 7 health. Two Blackmails and Fast Hands on the Deathtrooper.

4 friggin rounds... FOUR FRIGGIN ROUNDS and I didn't roll a single discard.... I figured the odds. Starting with the first round he had 1 card left:

Round 1 56% likelihood
Round 2 69% likelihood
Round 3 84% likelihood
Round 4 91% likelihood

Just for kicks I rolled one more time. Missed. Likelihood of that happening? 5.5%.

this game.

you love it.

went 2-1 vs Poe/Maz over lunch after an 0-3 night last night, so getting there.

I think I could've made it 3-0 but made a big mistake.

Definitely could've won a game last night without some mistakes too.

borghe

yeah I don't think I made many (any?) mistake that last game. I mean I could have maybe resolved Unkar's ability one extra time. Or maybe soaked up an extra die (or two dice removed) of damage on the full stormtrooper.. but in those cases it really would have left him to claim instead of me.. meaning I also lose cards to discard.. cards I may have used.. as well as going through my deck one card faster.. but really.. getting him down to one card in hand.. only one upgrade out.. and having fast hands and two blackmails on a healthy character.. lol.. the odds were vastly in my favor.

coincidentally I was listening to the newest KOR.. where Nick Obee was talking about his final game of swiss.. and it's opponents' bad luck like that that gets you through sometimes. He talks about how he was against a raider with 1 health and a mind probe, and he had backup muscle. Raider had the battlefield. All raider needed to roll was mind probe special, raider 3/1, or mind probe 3/1, and he wins. 56% chance of going to the top 16. NOPE! He wiffs, Nick backup muscle's for the win.

or my tournament last week where all I needed was Nines to NOT roll the lightsaber special. "If there's a bright center of luck in this universe, I live on the planet furthest from it.."

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
coincidentally I was listening to the newest KOR.. where Nick Obee was talking about his final game of swiss.. and it's opponents' bad luck like that that gets you through sometimes. He talks about how he was against a raider with 1 health and a mind probe, and he had backup muscle. Raider had the battlefield. All he needed to roll was mind probe special, raider 3/1, or mind probe 3/1, and he wins. 56% chance of going to the top 16. NOPE! He wiffs, Nick backup muscle's for the win.

or my tournament last week where all I needed was Nines to NOT roll the lightsaber special. "If there's a bright center of luck in this universe, I live on the planet furthest from it.."

Haha yup that was a good pod they had this week and he was a good guest. I forget which guy that is on the Discord? Is that Tacster? I know he finished top 4 at least but forget which guy he was. But yeah when you get two good players and decks going at it, it often does come down to those die rolls. Maybe one day control or mill will take over and there will just sort of be this unbeatable deck (maybe even one that requires high pilot skill), but I actually really like this meta. If you're not a good player and/or good deck you usually won't even be in the running at big tournaments, but after that it's all down to those rolls. :D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
yeah I don't think I made many (any?) mistake that last game. I mean I could have maybe resolved Unkar's ability one extra time. Or maybe soaked up an extra die (or two dice removed) of damage on the full stormtrooper.. but in those cases it really would have left him to claim instead of me.. meaning I also lose cards to discard.. cards I may have used.. as well as going through my deck one card faster.. but really.. getting him down to one card in hand.. only one upgrade out.. and having fast hands and two blackmails on a healthy character.. lol.. the odds were vastly in my favor.

coincidentally I was listening to the newest KOR.. where Nick Obee was talking about his final game of swiss.. and it's opponents' bad luck like that that gets you through sometimes. He talks about how he was against a raider with 1 health and a mind probe, and he had backup muscle. Raider had the battlefield. All raider needed to roll was mind probe special, raider 3/1, or mind probe 3/1, and he wins. 56% chance of going to the top 16. NOPE! He wiffs, Nick backup muscle's for the win.

missing a 56% roll in this game is not bad luck

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
How good is Luke Skywalker in current meta ? I negotiated package buy from someone selling collection with 2 of them.

there were some Rey/Luke decks floating around doing pretty good until the emergence of the hypro / aggro Poe/Maz.

so if you can figure out how to make him deal with that, you may get something going. Otherwise action chaining with Rey into Luke's powerful dice, and Luke's card draw, is a compelling mono-blue option

Kawl_USC

Yo thanks Astrolad for being nice enough to help me through that first game on tts. And for showing me how dirty ePalp can be.

Just gotta work on not doing those fake rolls....

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yo thanks Astrolad for being nice enough to help me through that first game on tts. And for showing me how dirty ePalp can be.

Just gotta work on not doing those fake rolls....

Ha! My pleasure. Feel like you knew almost everything about TTS and the game so it was pretty easy. :D

The deck is definitely fun and is among the easier to pilot so hoping to give it to my wife (who hasn't played in about a month) to play at Store Champs. Probably loses to the good aggro decks like 60% still but not bad for such a light and fun deck.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
When it's top 16 on the line or not.. I think we can agree to disagree. :D

if you missed 5 56% rolls, sure.

but a 44% chance isn't anything to sneeze at in this game.

hell, sometimes when you need that 1/6 roll, it's just 16-17%, but you hit it and it's not the common result, but it's not uncommon either.

good fortune, yeah, but c'mon, he had a 44% chance of failing.

Top Bottom