• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Destiny CCG |OT| Space Magic

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
it'll be interesting, I think there may be some tech put it. I don't think Poe/Maz players will give up the consistency lightly. They'll find counters. Cunning for Baby Vader etc.

like that EU guy with Fair Trade... that could fucking wreck Palpatine, which I think is almost a hard counter to Poe/Maz in the hands of a skilled Palp player who is patient and defensive. I would've never seen it coming if a Poe/Maz played it on me Saturday and it probably would've ended the game if it stopped a Rise Again

how would fair trade kill you? just the resource swing? i.e. you have plenty to play solid events and he has nothing, to a reversal in fortunes?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah fair trade is brutal b/c that moment when palp builds to a rise again is usu game-deciding for palp

Still waiting on the Awakenings restock, since I only managed to get a handful of booster backs originally. Sounds like end of the month?

Yeah supposedly it's coming in June.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
how would fair trade kill you? just the resource swing? i.e. you have plenty to play solid events and he has nothing, to a reversal in fortunes?

no because if you play Palpatine you are saving up for Rise Again.

In a Palp vs Poe/Maz match, you spend resources on 5 things:

Mitigation (including Force Illusion)
Rise Again
Rolling in a Holocron die (maybe, I've happily used the holocron special to cheat in force illusion and save the resource)
Resolving a Force Lightning die (probably)
maaaaybe Lure of Power - tho against Poe/Maz I think you just chuck those

That's it. You don't pay. You resolve shields, you mitigate, you turtle, you claim to play around Defensive Position. You Rise Again.

So your resources build into that having 4 (using one to mitigate then having 5 next turn), which gets you into precarious situations if they can swap that on you and then play a Falcon or something

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
fair trade would completely wreck unk too. sweet tech

apropos of nothing -- anyone worried that FFG is spreading itself a bit too thin with its various CCGs/LCGs? arkham doesn't count b/c co-op is totally different, but games like Netrunner, Star Wars, GoT, Destiny, and L5R coming up (I'm probably forgetting some) really share a ton of overlap in the playerbase. And yeah it's cool for FFG if many thousands are playing the various games around the country, but that won't last too long if the local metas start dying. Really hope people don't jump over to L5R for example. And I'm a decent example of this b/c if it wasn't for Destiny I'd probably give L5R a shot. I mean are there really enough bodies for all these lifestyle games? I do think FFG is sometimes slow to adapt b/c they look at things more at the national/WW level and still see stuff selling through, but local metas are the canaries in the coal mine.

borghe

my guess is some of this is coming around BECAUSE of the other games.. i.e. Star Wars LCG has never been able to build up a huge scene.. AGoT as well.. Android has, but is also struggling now (you only need to look at GenCon, despite a year or two back Android only being second to X-Wing in terms of competitive popularity from FFG)

So what you're saying is sort of true.. I mean ultimately FFG stands to cannibalize themselves at the worst.. BUT if they can expand the base. I think that's where you see their two biggest efforts being big established communities (well, HUGE for Star Wars obviously)

The hope would be that they are pulling more people in with the new properties/games. Destiny appears to have done that, though stores and FFG really need to fight to maintain momentum.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

apropos of nothing -- anyone worried that FFG is spreading itself a bit too thin with its various CCGs/LCGs? arkham doesn't count b/c co-op is totally different, but games like Netrunner, Star Wars, GoT, Destiny, and L5R coming up (I'm probably forgetting some) really share a ton of overlap in the playerbase. And yeah it's cool for FFG if many thousands are playing the various games around the country, but that won't last too long if the local metas start dying. Really hope people don't jump over to L5R for example. And I'm a decent example of this b/c if it wasn't for Destiny I'd probably give L5R a shot. I mean are there really enough bodies for all these lifestyle games? I do think FFG is sometimes slow to adapt b/c they look at things more at the national/WW level and still see stuff selling through, but local metas are the canaries in the coal mine.

hmm, I guess they kinda cannibalized me from X-Wing, though I honestly didn't play in stores nearly as much as I do for Destiny.

it seems like Netrunner folks and GoT folks have come over, plus SWLCG.

L5R might steal people but in the end who cares?

Destiny has to be good enough to keep people playing it. They can't keep product on the shelf so it's basically at maximum possible popularity right now.

I also think the Empire at War train is going to get people excited again pretty soon.

I really think Base Set 1 is where the bigger influx comes in, if the game continues to stay good thru the end of the year

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah it's definitely true that but for netrunner i wouldn't have gotten into competitive card games at all, so that helps. i mean i wouldn't even be playing destiny if i didn't know lukas from netrunner. i guess it's not that they shouldn't release new games, but just having so many games simultaneously that worries me a bit, because at least from my end these games need both a local and global community to really be fun. like if i'm just playing w/ my wife and a couple friends eh...it's OK...but we'd probably be better off playing any of my million board games instead. now if we're building decks and playing against the meta, prepping for tournaments...that's a whole different story. i just hope that latter half stays around because i know ffg is pretty blase about the whole thing, and honestly probably much more focused on the casual player than the competitive one (and i don't even mean the hyper-aggro, hyper-competitive tiny type, i just mean people who like to go out and compete at GNKs, store champs, etc.)

but L5R seems as much of a nostalgia play as anything so maybe it will be a mostly new market

Took my Endless Troopers deck to another mini-tourney.

This time it didn't go so good as I went 2-2. One of loses was to Poe Maz who drew into two planetary uprisings on turn two.
But if they didn't I was actually very close to killing Poe - on turn 1 I eat 1 of Poe die with Flank, then on turn two I absorbed both die with Best Defence, on turn 3 I runned out of removal and got hit with Thermal and Y-wing but I would be still in game if not 8 dmg .... from 2 supports over two turns.

I guess I need to run at least 6 cards of removal to increase chance of drawing into 3 of them in first 3 turns.

my guess is some of this is coming around BECAUSE of the other games.. i.e. Star Wars LCG has never been able to build up a huge scene.. AGoT as well.. Android has, but is also struggling now (you only need to look at GenCon, despite a year or two back Android only being second to X-Wing in terms of competitive popularity from FFG)

So what you're saying is sort of true.. I mean ultimately FFG stands to cannibalize themselves at the worst.. BUT if they can expand the base. I think that's where you see their two biggest efforts being big established communities (well, HUGE for Star Wars obviously)

The hope would be that they are pulling more people in with the new properties/games. Destiny appears to have done that, though stores and FFG really need to fight to maintain momentum.

Yeah - I'd really love to play Legend since it looks like my cup of tea but I'm really seriously thinking if I want to enter another FFG ecosystem.

But Destiny should be safe from typical LCG playerbase game jumping due to "cash" incentives at tournaments which might build competitive sports like scene like MTG enjoys.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Took my Endless Troopers deck to another mini-tourney.

This time it didn't go so good as I went 2-2. One of loses was to Poe Maz who drew into two planetary uprisings on turn two.
But if they didn't I was actually very close to killing Poe - on turn 1 I eat 1 of Poe die with Flank, then on turn two I absorbed both die with Best Defence, on turn 3 I runned out of removal and got hit with Thermal and Y-wing but I would be still in game if not 8 dmg .... from 2 supports over two turns.

I guess I need to run at least 6 cards of removal to increase chance of drawing into 3 of them in first 3 turns.

Yeah - I'd really love to play Legend since it looks like my cup of tea but I'm really seriously thinking if I want to enter another FFG ecosystem.

But Destiny should be safe from typical LCG playerbase game jumping due to "cash" incentives at tournaments which might build competitive sports like scene like MTG enjoys.
Yeah -- I usually try to pack 6-8 removal if I can. Even stuff like Heroism I'll count as removal but I find it tremendously helpful.

also me on the chance cube at 27m if anyone's interested. :p http://www.thechancecube.com/2017/06/06/episode-xxxix-store-championship-season/

borghe

Regarding LCG v CCG, watch one of the most recent Covenant vids (like literally from the last two weeks). I think the one with Lukas. It covers the big differences. Basically Destiny seems safe from peeling off from LCG, but they have to keep the game itself healthy. CCG and LCG mechanics work differently because of the way FFG releases them (one 160 card expansion every 3-4 months with rotation coming down the road vs 20 new cards every month and little to no rotation)

One of the Covenant crew even said basically "OMG if you released a full LCG deluxe expansion every 3 months and rotated others out, I would never leave!!"

So as it is Destiny offers something none of their other games do. Massive meta shakeups every 3 months or so, and then eventually even more massive shake ups once a year (presumably right after worlds if it's like Pokémon or Magic). Those looking for that meta explosion won't find it in the way FFG releases LCGs, and I don't see that changing as that release schedule would severely shrink LCG revenue. A $50 box (say 300 cards) every 3 months and only two years worth of box product to sell is nothing compared to the $240(??) they see now and the 4 years of expansions you need to buy to be competitive. (I'm figuring 2 deluxe expansions and 12 packs a year roughly)

Meanwhile FFG saw 5 boxes of revenue from me in December and 4 boxes of revenue in May. And likely 4 more boxes of revenue in August (c'mon FFG, you know you want the money!!!!!!)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Going to try playing. Got the dueling starter decks and 2 packs. Opened a Slave 1 and Force Lightning. Judging the reactions I feel I got some good packs.

Regarding LCG v CCG, watch one of the most recent Covenant vids (like literally from the last two weeks). I think the one with Lukas. It covers the big differences. Basically Destiny seems safe from peeling off from LCG, but they have to keep the game itself healthy. CCG and LCG mechanics work differently because of the way FFG releases them (one 160 card expansion every 3-4 months with rotation coming down the road vs 20 new cards every month and little to no rotation)

Right I'm starting to be little fed up with LCG release schedule where I have to get new pack each month and in a month where they release Deluxe every two weeks- sure it's cheap but logistics of it and then making small tweeks to decks as cardpool expands get tiring.

So as it is Destiny offers something none of their other games do. Massive meta shakeups every 3 months or so, and then eventually even more massive shake ups once a year (presumably right after worlds if it's like Pokémon or Magic). Those looking for that meta explosion won't find it in the way FFG releases LCGs, and I don't see that changing as that release schedule would severely shrink LCG revenue. A $50 box (say 300 cards) every 3 months and only two years worth of box product to sell is nothing compared to the $240(??) they see now and the 4 years of expansions you need to buy to be competitive. (I'm figuring 2 deluxe expansions and 12 packs a year roughly)

Is there any info how rotation works in Destiny ? Will it be 2 years or shorter ? Will be interesting what formats they introduce to prevent cards losing value totally.

Meanwhile FFG saw 5 boxes of revenue from me in December and 4 boxes of revenue in May. And likely 4 more boxes of revenue in August (c'mon FFG, you know you want the money!!!!!!)

Spending more money isn't exactly benefit in my eyes - but on the other hand in CCG your cards keep value after price stabilises and in LCG they always lose 30-50% of worth due to being just second hand board game.

Kawl_USC

Playing emo kids more and I feel underwhelmed with Kylos dice. The special seems real swingy depending on whether it just hits zero costs cards all game. I suppose that's a function of not being familiar with the cost curves of most decks yet.

borghe

Is there any info how rotation works in Destiny ? Will it be 2 years or shorter ? Will be interesting what formats they introduce to prevent cards losing value totally.
with as small as each set is, I can't see them going shorter than two years. 160 cards per set means ~960 cards before rotation, and ~640 cards at the rotation. and those numbers are in fact smaller where ~10 cards of each set are battlefields and another 24 cards are characters. So really take ~204 and ~68 cards off of those numbers respectively.

Spending more money isn't exactly benefit in my eyes - but on the other hand in CCG your cards keep value after price stabilises and in LCG they always lose 30-50% of worth due to being just second hand board game.

sorry, I was talking from FFG's point of view, not ours :p From their point of view, there is way more revenue to be gained in a CCG quarterly release than an LCG quarterly release. In the end across ALL players there is probably more money to be made with an LCG monthly release (unless all players are averaging 80 packs per year), but again I think players are more attracted to the big bang release approach of a traditional CCG than the fine tuning monthly release approach of an LCG.

Playing emo kids more and I feel underwhelmed with Kylos dice. The special seems real swingy depending on whether it just hits zero costs cards all game. I suppose that's a function of not being familiar with the cost curves of most decks yet.

precisely. against poe maz, against mono blue, against a weapon deck.. kylo's special is probably his best side. to the point that he is worth rolling out FIRST action of the round so your opponent only has a chance to get rid of 1-2 cards from his hand tops. but against typical mill or control, or a deck that doesn't have holocron and doesn't have a lot of resource generation (old school jango aggro and such), then you more want to go for his melee sides.

Finally found starter decks (x4) and a booster box! Wife and I just played a game.

Question: does the battlefield go back to the middle each round for either player to claim?

yayaba

Finally found starter decks (x4) and a booster box! Wife and I just played a game.

Question: does the battlefield go back to the middle each round for either player to claim?

The person who claims it controls it. It's up for grabs the next round but there are cards that reference the owner of the battlefield.

yayaba

Right I'm starting to be little fed up with LCG release schedule where I have to get new pack each month and in a month where they release Deluxe every two weeks- sure it's cheap but logistics of it and then making small tweeks to decks as cardpool expands get tiring.

I feel kind of the same but at the same time I miss my LCG's. I've kind of fallen off AGoT since it came out and only really casually play online nowadays. I'm behind by a half dozen packs by now and probably won't be catching up anytime soon.

I think the burn out from LCG's comes from that slow drip. The best thing is that you don't have to chase cards but FFG tends to build all of their LCG's with an insane amount of factions that results in each faction only receiving 2-3 cards per pack. Also with their tendency to seed traits early on in a cycle results in over 50% of the pack not being very playable for competitive purposes. Sometimes there are only 2-3 cards out of the entire pack that I wind up using and everything else is just binder material. After 3-4 packs like that you kind of play the same decks over and over and feel like the value isn't there as much.

Conversely, I like the huge drop of cards with Destiny. Makes buying the boxes and opening packs exciting. Chasing legendaries gets exhausting though since I have a "gotta collect 'em all mindset" but I just have to stop myself from buying product after awhile and just play with what I have.

They've been silent about this so far, probably to not to set a clock on the value of Awakenings and SoR to make people feel like their cards are about to be worthless. But I'd be very surprised if they haven't already figured out the rotation schedule.

Draxal

So what is the best place to check for fair market value singles in this game?

When the game initially came out, I only managed to pick up five boosters as everything was sold out (but apparently 2 of those ones had legendaries Poe and One with the force), and apparently my FLGS managed to get some starters in today and picked up Rey's. But i'm wondering if I should just wait until the Awakenings reprint happens to see where I go with this.

L5R is very different in design space. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So what is the best place to check for fair market value singles in this game?

When the game initially came out, I only managed to pick up five boosters as everything was sold out (but apparently 2 of those ones had legendaries Poe and One with the force), and apparently my FLGS managed to get some starters in today and picked up Rey's. But i'm wondering if I should just wait until the Awakenings reprint happens to see where I go with this.

L5R is very different in design space. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I'd just see what they are selling for on ebay,.

Poe is up to like 60-70 bucks, you could almost sell him to finance half a box or more of SoR or Awakenings reprint, which will be arriving soon and driving Awakenings prices back down.

Draxal

I'd just see what they are selling for on ebay,.

Poe is up to like 60-70 bucks, you could almost sell him to finance half a box or more of SoR or Awakenings reprint, which will be arriving soon and driving Awakenings prices back down.

Thanks, I remember er Poe being around fifteen on eBay when the game first came out, I know he's used in a top deck now, but man the prices are out of control.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Thanks, I remember er Poe being around fifteen on eBay when the game first came out, I know he's used in a top deck now, but man the prices are out of control.

honestly SoR prices aren't that bad, another wave of boosters landing should get them to a pretty reasonable spot.

Awakenings is insane but boosters are on the boat so that'll hopefully help

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Team Covenant had Awakenings boxes in stock this morning, and has pre-orders up they will fulfill within two weeks, if you're looking for those.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
taking my luke/rey to store champs this weekend. fair-play heroes whoo whooooo!

anyone taking poe/maz is DISGUSTING. that should be BANNED (he says after winning his SC)

borghe

https://buffalo.craigslist.org/tag/6166045541.html

Seems like a nice collection. Can I get some opinions on the price? Seems like an okay deal, but I know some prices will go down with the upcoming reprint.

Also, if anyone wants to split this in some way, let me know as I have plenty of feedback here.
yeah that's a pretty good price.

Played Luke Rey last night and REALLY enjoyed it. The deck does have a ton of options. My loss was against Unkar Deathtrooper Trooper, where I made some key mistakes. Biggest was overwriting OwtF with Vibroknife to get a quick kill on Unkar and Trooper. It sounds solid, but it left Luke to die to a fully loaded Deathtrooper with only rey left with two vibroknives. The second problem being that had I left OwtF, it would have left me with a 3 disrupt side to prevent a future Endless Ranks which is literally what won him the game (Rey killed DT, two actions after endless ranks)

It IS really disconcerting playing a punchy deck with very few upgrades.. like I would never have put this deck together on my own.. but you really end up not caring about upgrades on Luke because you KNOW he's going down first anyway.. So the goal of the deck is (maybe?) to get OwtF on him before he dies, which before he does go down hopefully he's taken 1-2 characters out on his own already. but really.. with 1-2 die upgrades on rey, plus her die and Luke's two dice.. you are never short of dice in your pool to resolve.. even though you aren't rolling out like 7-9 dice like you normally are in punchy (aggro) decks.

and of course being able to resolve My Ally is the Force with at least two damage dice in your pool is almost a OTK on most characters, putting them one hit from death (or an actual OTK on Bala, Trooper, etc)

Thanks for the replies. Got him down to $580 and I'm picking up today. I'll try to get a trade bait list up if anyone is interested.

Kawl_USC

Finally played some real life games this weekend.

Played in two casual tournaments. 2-1 in both. Emo kids day one, Vader Raider day two. Think I like VR more so.

Any one have thoughts on running more melee focused or more of a holocron approach? I'm running pretty lean on upgrades, focusing on removal and force strike, bait and switch, and cheat to get high damage off with Vader. One light saber to overwrite vibroknife before he dies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah that's a pretty good price.

Played Luke Rey last night and REALLY enjoyed it. The deck does have a ton of options. My loss was against Unkar Deathtrooper Trooper, where I made some key mistakes. Biggest was overwriting OwtF with Vibroknife to get a quick kill on Unkar and Trooper. It sounds solid, but it left Luke to die to a fully loaded Deathtrooper with only rey left with two vibroknives. The second problem being that had I left OwtF, it would have left me with a 3 disrupt side to prevent a future Endless Ranks which is literally what won him the game (Rey killed DT, two actions after endless ranks)

It IS really disconcerting playing a punchy deck with very few upgrades.. like I would never have put this deck together on my own.. but you really end up not caring about upgrades on Luke because you KNOW he's going down first anyway.. So the goal of the deck is (maybe?) to get OwtF on him before he dies, which before he does go down hopefully he's taken 1-2 characters out on his own already. but really.. with 1-2 die upgrades on rey, plus her die and Luke's two dice.. you are never short of dice in your pool to resolve.. even though you aren't rolling out like 7-9 dice like you normally are in punchy (aggro) decks.

and of course being able to resolve My Ally is the Force with at least two damage dice in your pool is almost a OTK on most characters, putting them one hit from death (or an actual OTK on Bala, Trooper, etc)

Yeah man it's crazy fun. I do feel like it requires a ton of experience though, and even then just doesn't have the consistency of T1/1.5 decks. Like if you don't draw Speed or Vibro first couple turns you're probably DOA against a decent deck/player. I brought it to Store Champs this weekend and finished 6th (just in the money -- store-credit wise -- woohoo) but I totally was bugged by the consistency issues as well as just I was kind of bringing it as a let's-have-fun semi-jank deck but it actually requires a ton of concentration, proper decisionmaking, and creative play which I definitely wasn't in the mindset for :p

Sigh - I'm missing one or two key cards from ton of interesting decks and they are all stuck in post office :D

My second Emperor, my second Han, my second Force speed, bunch of weapons for FN ehh

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
New set announcement! I bet whoever wrote this is both attractive and wise.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/6/16/empire-at-war/

Would Thrawn/Kylo be too gimmicky?

Wooo finally! Was really excited about Mace until I saw his cost. Maybe Mace and one-die Maz? I have to see coming from a little dalliance with Luke/Rey, playing with non-Vader 2-char 3-die decks is a massive PITA, especially with Blue which has many cool cards that check and consume dice.

Is Thrawn maybe supposed to help mill? Then again Villain doesn't really need help with Hand Mill so maybe not.

borghe

Wooo finally! Was really excited about Mace until I saw his cost. Maybe Mace and one-die Maz? I have to see coming from a little dalliance with Luke/Rey, playing with non-Vader 2-char 3-die decks is a massive PITA, especially with Blue which has many cool cards that check and consume dice.

Is Thrawn maybe supposed to help mill? Then again Villain doesn't really need help with Hand Mill so maybe not.

nah.. thrawn is hard control. "5" to get rid of that Rise Again "0" to get rid of that pool disruption, etc. He makes Villain mid-range control a strong thing.Pair him up with Unkar..

EaW does allow for the first legit 5 die list. Ezra, eMaz, and eRey/eSnap. (eRey being the clearly better choice)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
nah.. thrawn is hard control. "5" to get rid of that Rise Again "0" to get rid of that pool disruption, etc. He makes Villain mid-range control a strong thing.Pair him up with Unkar..

EaW does allow for the first legit 5 die list. Ezra, eMaz, and eRey/eSnap. (eRey being the clearly better choice)

oh yeah i always confuse which deck is mill and which is choke/control since i play neither.

hahah that five-die list sounds awful...except that it has emaz and several other dice so it's probably at least T2 :D

Thrawn looks like good character for support decks with tons of AT-ST, Tie-Fighters etc. with his hard control and 2 resource side.

Mace+Maz might be interesting but it can't cheat with free detonators or y-wing each turn so I'm not sure how great it is.

borghe

Thrawn looks like good character for support decks with tons of AT-ST, Tie-Fighters etc. with his hard control and 2 resource side.

Mace+Maz might be interesting but it can't cheat with free detonators or y-wing each turn so I'm not sure how great it is.

well fwiw... rumor is that Poe is going to get an errata.. and that the new starter sets are shipping with the errata'ed poe.. so we'll see. apparently (and multiple people have said this) he is being errata'ed so his ability only works with vehicles.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
well fwiw... rumor is that Poe is going to get an errata.. and that the new starter sets are shipping with the errata'ed poe.. so we'll see. apparently (and multiple people have said this) he is being errata'ed so his ability only works with vehicles.

wtf when did this rumor happen

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
so long any T1 hero decks then, unless heroes get a huge advantage in EOW card pool that just hasn't existed in the game so far (outside the Poe/Maz thing, which only puts that deck alongside the several ~T1 villain decks).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I'd heard that originally his special only worked with vehicles when it was in development but it was changed since there weren't enough vehicles in the first set for it to be worthwhile. Hadn't heard the rumor that it would get errataed though.

well yes, that's fact. He was vehicle's only in the card pool they had, and it was a late change to make him work with other cards when they realized it'd be lame to open Poe and not have the other legendaries that made him work.

I just hadn't heard anything about errata being imminent, but I've also been in E3 land all week

hunchback

So do you think I would have the start to a decent deck if I got the starter deck and a box of booster cards to go with?

Top Bottom