• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 preview

v0yce

Neuromancer said:
I know... But my uncle got it for me, I feel like I have to play through it so I can tell him I played it when he asks me. =\

Finish it. Its short and I had a lot of fun with it. Just don't play it on hard. Then its flaws really shine. I played through the original and had a good time. Enough that I bought Ultimate Sith edition when it came out and figured I'd play it on hard. Boy was that a chore and sucked most of the fun out of the game. =(

Again I thought the first was a lot of fun, so I'll check out part 2 when it rolls around. Hopefully this time they'll have some more interesting environments to fight through. That was my biggest complaint from the first. Some of the levels were just really dull.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Seda said:
They could have been making a new Jedi Knight game.
They could have been making a new Rogue Squadron game.

Oh what I would do for the Rogue Squadron trilogy to be re-made on some sexy new engine. Also, Kyle Fucking Katarn had plenty of ass-kicking left in him. Raven needs to make another.

v0yce

Ushojax said:
It was awesome. Although not perfect, the lightsaber action in that game was very well done, you didn't just slash away at people and have the saber clip through the enemy, the sabers bounced off each other and a clean strike usually meant death with maybe a limb flying off. If the purpose of TFU was to make you feel like the most powerful Jedi, it fell on it's arse when you had to get up close and personal with the enemy, clubbing them to death with your lightsaber. Dreadful design.

The game was not about saber combat. It amazes me how this seems to fly over the heads of so many people. It was called FORCE Unleashed. It was about using force powers. I wouldn't mind them tweaking the saber a bit myself, but if you played Star Wars the Force Unleashed for the saber play you did it wrong.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The Force Unleashed was fucking awful. The levels were crap (and reused), the combat was crap (complete with whiffle light saber), the boss fights were ridiculous and it was just no fun to play. The only redeeming thing was goofing about with the physics and that got played out after the first couple of stages.

Why the hell did this have to sell 5+ million copies and thus spawn what is surely to be another horrid game? Ugh.

WillyFive

Stallion Free said:
Oh what I would do for the Rogue Squadron trilogy to be re-made on some sexy new engine. Also, Kyle Fucking Katarn had plenty of ass-kicking left in him. Raven needs to make another.

It would be hard to top the engine it ran on the Gamecube. I still can't believe it's a launch title for the Gamecube. It's right up there as a 360 launch title.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
v0yce said:
The game was not about saber combat. It amazes me how this seems to fly over the heads of so many people. It was called FORCE Unleashed. It was about using force powers. I wouldn't mind them tweaking the saber a bit myself, but if you played Star Wars the Force Unleashed for the saber play you did it wrong.

The force powers were OK for a while. But why give him a saber at all if you're going to do it so badly? Why show the saber on the cover? Because that's what people want. To kick ass with the lightsaber. You couldn't do that in TFU.

tim1138

Seda said:
They could have been making a new KOTOR (Not a MMO)
They could have been making a new Tie Fighter/X-Wing Game.
Not to mention whatever happened with Battlefront III.

WHY THIS!?!?

Because none of those were the fastest selling Star Wars (or LA for that matter) game of all time?

WillyFive

Sinatar said:
The Force Unleashed was awful. The levels were bad (and reused), the combat was bad (complete with whiffle light saber), the boss fights were ridiculous and it was just no fun to play. The only redeeming thing was goofing about with the physics and that got played out after the first couple of stages.

Why the heck did this have to sell 5+ million copies and thus spawn what is surely to be another horrid game? Ugh.

It was a really awful game, but you have to admit, artistically, it was fantastic. The story, the music, the characters, the locales, it was top stuff.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Willy105 said:
It was a really awful game, but you have to admit, artistically, it was fantastic. The story, the music, the characters, the locales, it was top stuff.

Yea the fanservice was fine. The locales though... it'd have been better if they didn't reuse each stage twice.

WillyFive

Sinatar said:
Yea the fanservice was fine. The locales though... it'd have been better if they didn't reuse each stage twice.

I haven't played and don't own the game, and don't plan to, but using the stages twice sounds bad.

But anyway, waiting for new X-Wing.

Seda said:

WHY THIS!?!?

1. Best selling Star Wars game ever
2. a team working with proven next-gen tech that doesn't need to be built from scratch. Gee, I wonder why they chose this one? :D

fernoca

Wasn't the Wii version confirmed last year...what was changed that people are now saying that there won' be a Wii version?

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
lqd said:
It blows my mind how this broken piece of shit can be best selling Star Wars game ever.
It isn't. It's the "fastest" within whatever timeframe they used to declare it the fastest, but it is not the best selling game. Lego Star Wars 2 has over a million on it... not counting "The Complete Saga" sales. Battlefront II should be close/above it also.

EDIT// The title of "fastest selling star wars game" was given to it a week after release. LA had shipped 4.3 million units, world-wide, across all formats and estimated selling 1.5 million that first week. They announced that had shipped 6 million last July and now 7 million last February (counting Ult. Sith Ed.). By comparison The Lego Star Wars series was at 18.3 million last July and over 20 million as of February.

tim1138

fernoca said:
Wasn't the Wii version confirmed last year...what was changed that people are now saying that there won' be a Wii version?

Krome developed the first one, and the buzz around their lay offs a few weeks back were due to them not acquiring the TFU2 license for Wii.
Plus I think people have just come to expect no Wii version at this point.

lqd

Neo Member
JJConrad said:
It isn't. It's the "fastest" within whatever timeframe they used to declare it the fastest, but it is not the best selling game. Lego Star Wars 2 has over a million on it... not counting "The Complete Saga" sales. Battlefront II should be close above it also.
Thanks for the explanation, now I feel much better.

Deadly

Wait...Kamino still exists in the OT? So why do stormtroopers suck so bad compared to clone troopers? :lol

WillyFive

Deadly said:
Wait...Kamino still exists in the OT? So why do stormtroopers suck so bad compared to clone troopers? :lol

Because they are no longer the good guys and our heroes have to win.

Deadly said:

I don't even wanna get sucked in SW fanfic but weren't the stormtroopers in Episode IV-VI regular individual humans?

JdFoX187

Banned
Patrick Bateman said:
I don't even wanna get sucked in SW fanfic but weren't the stormtroopers in Episode IV-VI regular individual humans?
Wasn't it a mixture? I'm pretty sure most were clones though, which is why Leia points out Luke was too short to be a Storm Trooper.

Macmanus

Willy105 said:
I haven't played and don't own the game, and don't plan to, but using the stages twice sounds bad.

They didn't actually reuse the stages twice. They reused stage's art palettes twice for a number of them, but aesthetically each stage was it's own animal.

Oli

JdFoX187 said:
Wasn't it a mixture? I'm pretty sure most were clones though, which is why Leia points out Luke was too short to be a Storm Trooper.

I hate that I've thought about this stuff, but I believe there are clones remaining, and they've recruited regular guys as well since the prequel trilogy.

So yeah you're right.

Zenith

Banned
JdFoX187 said:

Originally it was all human. The clone tubes were destroyed and it's a great way to indoctrinate a planet's populace. Then the prequels happened and now it's a mix.

Cep

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Interestingly, Lucas started writing Phantom Menace around the time GameFAQs introduced its board.

I am a big fan of correlation != causation, but this makes one wonder...

WillyFive

The thing is, George Lucas thinks of the EU as fan fiction. He has his own idea of what happens (and in all seriousness, he's the only one that can say what happens in this day and age), and he isn't afraid to mess with fan's heads.

Like how he just casually blew up Slave 1 in the Clone Wars Season 2 finale the other day.

VaLiancY

Willy105 said:
The thing is, George Lucas thinks of the EU as fan fiction. He has his own idea of what happens (and in all seriousness, he's the only one that can say what happens in this day and age), and he isn't afraid to mess with fan's heads.

Like how he just casually blew up Slave 1 in the Clone Wars Season 2 finale the other day.

1272072705205.jpg

Damn, Lucas. You're just ruthless.

nexen

TFU was a damn fine game, imho. I enjoyed it a lot.

Really wish they would have made the aiming camera centric though. It was difficult at best to keep track of where your character was facing during a fight.

Darklord

Banned
Willy105 said:

What the fuck is he flying in the original series then?

donny2112

tim1138 said:
Plus I think people have just come to expect no Wii version at this point.

It's sad that it's come to this. Star Wars + Nintendo = Great Sales. Been that way for a long time.

Zenith said:
I'm just wondering what's going to be going through Vader's head when another apprentice tries to escape him and trashes Kamino in the process. I can just see him resting his head against a wall and going "the fuck, dude..... the fuck?"
I wonder why Vader wants another apprentice. Cloned Starkiller, why not get Maris Brood as the new apprentice. Story doesn't sound great so far. Secretly, I think Vader has closet daddy issues with his former apprentice. He wonders why StarKiller would betray him. Who betrayed who first? :lol

Seda said:
As far as their concerned, this is the same thing
Seda said:
After the starfighter games bombed and rebel strike didnt set the world on fire, it's not a great bet for them
Seda said:
Not happening, TOR is the next KOTOR
Seda said:
Not happening, ever, this genre is completely dead.

Seda said:
WHY THIS!?!?
because the first one sold like gangbusters

cacildo

v0yce said:
obi-wan-mind-trick.jpg

You can go about your business.

24kwqom.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

It was pretty funny, but no, i want it on the wii, dammit. Its the only system i own (and until all this motion control mess is solved im not buying a new one)

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Kagari said:
The story sounds really dumb. Worse than what's currently going on in the extended universe novels.

Did you know the only good thing in the EU (Legacy) is going to be over? ;_;

gkryhewy

Seda said:

WHY THIS!?!?

Because I think TFU was their best selling game ever?

TFU wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. Of course KOTOR is still the gold standard. I just don't get why they don't explore the post OT EU. They've shoved so much shit that supposedly happened between Ep. III and IV it's not funny anymore. Give me some Mara Jade action please.

Top Bottom