• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 preview

Blader

GillianSeed79 said:
TFU wasn't as bad as everyone made it out to be. Of course KOTOR is still the gold standard. I just don't get why they don't explore the post OT EU. They've shoved so much shit that supposedly happened between Ep. III and IV it's not funny anymore. Give me some Mara Jade action please.

Because it's barely accessible to the people who keep up with it, let alone to the people whose knowledge of Star Wars begins and ends with the movies.

TreIII

Blader5489 said:
Because it's barely accessible to the people who keep up with it, let alone to the people whose knowledge of Star Wars begins and ends with the movies.

And?

I and many others didn't/still don't care about the EU, but it didn't impede our enjoyment for the likes of Shadows of the Empire, or the various games starring Kyle Katarn back in the day. Hell, it was actually nice to get some what original stories that took place more outside the scope of the films, instead of being limited by them.

If it worked back then, why is it so much of a problem now, I wonder?

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
I loved the idea of a hack and slash game ala DMC base on Star Wars, so I loved TFU.

The only thing I hated was the loadtimes during Pause, that shit was just stupid, besides that the game and the story were quite entertaining.

TFU is my 3rd favorite game of this generation.
The 2nd is Fallout 3 and the 1st of course being Arkham Asylum.

Had an extreme amount of fun with both of them.

Blader

TreIII said:
And?

I and many others didn't/still don't care about the EU, but it didn't impede our enjoyment for the likes of Shadows of the Empire, or the various games starring Kyle Katarn back in the day. Hell, it was actually nice to get some what original stories that took place more outside the scope of the films, instead of being limited by them.

If it worked back then, why is it so much of a problem now, I wonder?

Probably because games are far more expensive endeavors now, and a dev like LucasArts would rather invest whatever resources they still have into a proven success. Which is why we're getting Force Unleashed II, rather than another Jedi Knight or X-Wing/Tie Fighter.

nico

Banned
played force unleashed recently and I thought it was fun except the graphics looked kind of crappy on 360, probably due to porting up the wii version. All I want is a next-gen star wars game :(

nico said:
played force unleashed recently and I thought it was fun except the graphics looked kind of crappy on 360, probably due to porting up the wii version. All I want is a next-gen star wars game :(
]

er, uh. :lol

fernoca

nico said:
???
Krome ported the Wii version, from the "next gen" version..then added some additional stuff..like multiplayer.

The 360 version looked quite awesome...2 years ago when I played it..don't know about "now"...

WTF LUCAS BLEW UP SLAVE I!?!?

Man I hate recent star wars stuff. I kind of enjoyed FU but gave up halfway through mainly because the lightsaber combat was dull as all hell.

I gave up on the new CG clone wars series when I saw the opening of the Jar Jar Jedi episode. That shit was deleted from my harddrive in less than a minute.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Willy105 said:
The thing is, George Lucas thinks of the EU as fan fiction. He has his own idea of what happens (and in all seriousness, he's the only one that can say what happens in this day and age), and he isn't afraid to mess with fan's heads.

Like how he just casually blew up Slave 1 in the Clone Wars Season 2 finale the other day.
Because every single thing in the series must all be George's ideas and he must approve every single thing obviously. Glad to know you have so much knowledge about the creative process for the series production. You must be an expert, given how you like to comment on the matter so much in the past!

No wonder you got your tag. :lol

Zen

Banned
tim1138 said:
They mention in the GamePro preview that they're working with the ESRB to see what exactly they can get away with to make lightsaber combat actually feel like you're using a saber.

The thing is, the Lightsaber in Jedi Knight/Academy didn't feel like a baseball bat, (or at least not nearly as much as it does in TFU) and it only allowed you to sometimes cut off a hand, if I remember right.

Academy was rated T for Teen. Really making the saber feel like a baseball bat has less to do with dismemberment and more to do with how well the Saber animations, particle effects, and sound effects are. TFU just had crappy saber combat and effects period.

I remember the ending of the first game so vividly: reaching that bit where you have to pull the Star Destroyer to the ground; wrestling with the controls for over an hour; hating the game for giving me precious few indications where I was going wrong, and for introducing such an awful, awful mechanic into a game that didn't need it; removing the disc from the Xbox, to never be played again; watching the endings on Youtube.

Those really were the best of times.

The only Expanded Universe stuff worth exploring lies in the Old Republic years... all 20,000 of them. Honestly, BioWare (and some of the old Dark Horse comics) proved that you can do whatever the fuck you want with the source material because outside of all the Jedi and Sith being wiped out over thousands of years, it has no terminal bearing on any of the films.

Why in God's name we're forced to play all this shit between the episodes is beyond me.

We know the outcome, we know that the developers won't take chances. Give it a rest.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Stallion Free said:
Oh what I would do for the Rogue Squadron trilogy to be re-made on some sexy new engine. Also, Kyle Fucking Katarn had plenty of ass-kicking left in him. Raven needs to make another.
The Rogue Squadron games were utter shit and shame on you for liking them. X-Wing/Tie Fighter OTOH...

BudokaiMR2 said:

Man I hate recent star wars stuff. I kind of enjoyed FU but gave up halfway through mainly because the lightsaber combat was dull as all hell.

I gave up on the new CG clone wars series when I saw the opening of the Jar Jar Jedi episode. That shit was deleted from my harddrive in less than a minute.

We don't know if it was blown up. It crashed off screen. People just assume.

Plus you're missing out on quality Star Wars stuff if you skip out on the CG Clone Wars series. The Jar Jar is the absolute low point and not even in Season 2 at all. Clone Wars is amazing cuz they don't pull punches and it's amazingly brutal with what they do in that series. Easily some of the best stuff since the original trilogy.

Zenith

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:

but you didn't see him make friends with a big monster to help defeat the separatists! or how they glossed over Jar Jar killing a senator and several clone troopers.

Rekubot

slave1crash.png

Looks like it blew up to me. Not sure why Boba would bother to salvage the wreckage.

cacildo

Well, the first Force Unleashed wasnt that much of a great game, at least on wii.

- The motion controls were the best at the time (pre motion+ days) and the game recognizes up, down, left and right swipes without a hassle.
The problem lies in the fact that this kind of motion control means only replacements for button presses. And that´s really not very fun at all.

- The game structure feels very old. You have a set of stages and in each one of em you go from point a to point b killing everything in sight. There´s no missions aside from running and killing and fighting bosses. Collect "holocubes" to unlock concept art and stuff.
Feels very very old.
In fact, it feels exactly like a movie tie in. You have only a short time to finish the game and release it side by side with the movie? Then apply this old structure of going from point a to point b killing everything in sight
Iron man game was like this. Wolverine too. Transformers too. Hundreds of movie tie ins in the PS2 era were just like this.

- QTEs????? Really??? That´s the best you can create for the biggest Star Wars game this generation? Jesus Christ....

- Graphics werent a mess per se (well, for the 3rd party wii games market). But why all characters models are made without eyelids? (im too lazy to find a picture)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ShockingAlberto said:
Interestingly, Lucas started writing Phantom Menace around the time GameFAQs introduced its board.

I heard it was written in 70s.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
nico said:
probably due to porting up the wii version.
lol, wtf. where do you people come up with this stuff? utterly stupid. i can only hope you are joking...

fernoca said:
Krome ported the Wii version, from the "next gen" version..then added some additional stuff..like multiplayer.
that's actually not true either. The Wii version was a port of the PS2 game and the PS2 game was essentially built from the ground up by Krome, afaik.

Why don't they just star Luke Skywalker in Jedi Knight 3: The Force Unleashed or something to fool fans and give us a better game in the process?

The lack of a new jedi knight is just bullshit.

Big One

Banned
subversus said:
I heard it was written in 70s.
No...

George started writing Episode I around 1994 iirc. I'm sure he had ideas (from what I understand, a completely Clone Wars centric prequel trilogy) but the script we got wasn't made till years after RotJ.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Seda said:
They could have been making a new Jedi Knight game.
They could have been making a new Rogue Squadron game.
They could have been making a new KOTOR (Not a MMO)
They could have been making a new Tie Fighter/X-Wing Game.
Not to mention whatever happened with Battlefront III.

WHY THIS!?!?
Because SW people will buy anything these days, and somehow TFU ended up as a best seller.

godhandiscen said:
Because SW people will buy anything these days, and somehow TFU ended up as a best seller.

To its credit, TFU was a great example of how to properly market a game within an established label and build up hype. I forget how long it took but it hit 1 million in sales not long after its release.

outside of playing as vader the first one was shit. there will have to be some radical changes in order for me to even consider playing a sequel.

edgefusion said:
More Sam Witwer? Yes please! :D

Come to daddy!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

On a serious note... just clearing TFU up out of backlog... it's competent and fun... and sometimes even quite pretty.

Certainly enjoying it... even though it's not earth shattering.

Big One said:
No...

George started writing Episode I around 1994 iirc. I'm sure he had ideas (from what I understand, a completely Clone Wars centric prequel trilogy) but the script we got wasn't made till years after RotJ.

There are some early drafts of the Star Wars script that have plot points that ended up in Phantom Menace.

v0yce said:
Finish it. Its short and I had a lot of fun with it. Just don't play it on hard. Then its flaws really shine. I played through the original and had a good time. Enough that I bought Ultimate Sith edition when it came out and figured I'd play it on hard. Boy was that a chore and sucked most of the fun out of the game. =(

Again I thought the first was a lot of fun, so I'll check out part 2 when it rolls around. Hopefully this time they'll have some more interesting environments to fight through. That was my biggest complaint from the first. Some of the levels were just really dull.
Yeah I played on easy, it was fun but I moved onto something else... I need to finish it, maybe this week.

jrricky said:
Um, guys, all platforms were confirmed to be getting this game just a few days after if was announce.

Phase 1 complete. Only 2 more to go.

Phase 2 - M+ support.
Phase 3 - Make a good game.

ONLY 3 PHASES LUCASARTS. YOU CAN DO IT.

The guy at GameStop asked me if I wanted to preorder TFU2.

No, GameStop guy. No I do not. Just ring up my $3 copy of Scourge: Hive and let me go about my day :lol

Rekubot said:
slave1crash.png

Looks like it blew up to me. Not sure why Boba would bother to salvage the wreckage.

Crashed and explosion doesn't mean it blew up. Clearly it's off screen so that we don't know the extent of the damage. Maybe Boba repairs it cuz it was his father's ship. We don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets revisited later on either. Not to mention, the actual writers of the show have been very good about doing good fan service tie-ins and being respectful to the material. I'd bet money on they wouldn't just purposely say it's Slave 1 and then completely blow it up.

Slave 1 was not shown blowing up, it crashed but the person in the ship also survived just fine so it obviously didn't explode.

It's also gone back and forth in the books that the ship has been repaired and rebuilt several times. Slave 1 is just a Firespray ship and is not that uncommon, Slave 1 is just a souped up customized one.

JonnyBrad said:
No stupid star destroyer "boss" this time please.

This.

Should have been an amazing set-piece, but instead was a frustrating mess that nearly ruined the game and my will to carry on playing.

:/

Macmanus

They should just re-release Jedi Power Battles as an XBL/PSN title. I want to play that one again. Enjoyed it a lot more than TFU.

MattKeil said:
Because it's his dad's ship.

Yup. Fans have debated for years whether Slave 1 in the OT was the same ship as his Dad's actually.

Heck the fans have been arguing for years over whether Boba's armor was built from parts of his Dad's.

WillyFive

BudokaiMR2 said:

So what if he destroyed the Slave 1? The Clone Wars series is awesome. And it's your fault on missing out Bombad Jedi.

XiaNaphryz said:
Because every single thing in the series must all be George's ideas and he must approve every single thing obviously. Glad to know you have so much knowledge about the creative process for the series production. You must be an expert, given how you like to comment on the matter so much in the past!

Hey, I am a big fan of Dave Filoni, but that's make me an expert. I am just here to talk about these things with other people that know more stuff about it than I do.

Where's your input, then? I was under the impression you knew a lot more about this considering you are an insider. Mind sharing with us some insight, or are you just going to be another joke poster?

nico said:

The Wii version's an up port of the PS2 game.

XiaNaphryz said:

Not everything actually goes through Lucas, it's a myth and was discussed before with editors of the books. They have "continuity editors" and such. Lucas is generally presented with a rough outline of products that he signs off on, and various things are considered taboo and must be given consent by Lucas himself, such as the killing of a character from one of the movies. He is not given the books to read, just rough ideas before anything is even written.

Even he contradicts himself, and in the behind the scenes of the Cloaked ship episode of Clone Wars, the director brought up to Lucas that "no ship that size has a cloaking device" which Lucas just shrugged and was like whatever. It was the shows director himself who put in the part of the episode where they say "usually" about the size of the cloak bearing ship.

George is simply the producer for the series, he does not write or direct anything, but he does basically just jump in and say he wants something done and it has to be done. Not everything is his idea.

tim1138

XiaNaphryz said:

If you work for who I think you work for, can you maybe shed some insight on a Wii version?

Top Bottom