• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars : Galaxy of Heroes |OT| The best chance to unlock Kylo-Ren

Durden77

star-wars-galaxy-of-heroes.jpg

What is Star Wars : Galaxy of Heroes?

Star Wars : Galaxy of Heroes is mobile free-to-play turn-based battle game for Andorid/iOS based in the Star Wars universe. In GoH, you will collect heroes such as Chewbacca, Stormtroopers, Luke Skywalker (with a gun!) and Darth Vader, level them up and gear them out, and use them to battle other teams of heroes in a multitude of modes.

What is the gameplay like?

Similar to any turn-based battle RPG, only a bit more simplified than most. Each team can consist of up to five characters, six in certain modes, and each character can have up to 4 abilities at their disposal ranging from attacks, passive traits, and leader skills. Every character has an HP meter and a Turn meter. The HP meter is self explanatory, while the Turn meter shows how quickly your character can move and can be altered by many events. Certain skills have cooldowns, buffs and debuffs can be given to enemies an allies, and so on. It's no Hearthstone, but there is a solid amount of strategy and team synergy to be experimented with the deeper you get.

turn_based_combat_galaxy_of_heroes.jpg

I want Darth Vader and I want him now. How do I get him (and other heroes)?

Good luck, because to get heroes in GoH will either require a lot of grinding or a lot of money, and even then it's not guaranteed you'll get the hero you want. The game uses a system similar to something like Marvel Future Fight where you collect "shards" of a character. Once you have enough shards, which can range from 10-80 depending on the character, you can then unlock the hero. After you unlock a hero, any shards gathered for that character will now go towards promoting them to a new tier.

There are a multitude of ways to get shards, with some being easier than others, and some characters are fairly easy to grind shards for in-game, but the most efficient way is to buy data card packs with premium currency. These data cards will either get you shards for heroes, or just unlock the heroes straight up. But the packs are random, so there's no telling which character shards or characters in general you may actually get from them.

buBUiK6h.jpg

What are the F2P trappings and how bad do they suck?

Purple fucking crystals or whatever are your premium currency, and as mentioned above, are mainly used for buying data card packs for characters and character shards. They can also be used to buy various item "shipments", (daily shuffled specific items and shards), credits, and refresh shop items and encounters instantly. These can be purchased for real money in the in-game shop if you decide you want to speed up your progress. To put things into perspective, 20$ worth of purple fucking crystals (2,800), will give you enough to buy 8 data card packs and THE BEST CHANCE TO UNLOCK KYLO-REN, with a little to spare. There are also occasionally deals that appear in the shop that can be purchased straight up with real money, usually consisting of character bundles. There is also your typical F2P energy system that can vary in annoyance, but usually gives you enough to work with.

As for the free player, it's actually not too bad, but your progress will obviously be slower. The game gives you daily challenges every day, and completing them all will gain you a solid amount of purple fucking crystals. The arena also provides you with purple fucking crystals everyday based on your rank. If you do most of what you can do each day in the game, you will usually end up with around 200-250 purple fucking crystals for free a day.

What are the modes that I can dick around in?

Light Side Battles
Use Light Side heroes to battle dark side heroes throughout a basic campaign, collecting gear on the way.

Dark Side Battles
The opposite of Light Side Battles. (And superior because fuck rebel scum.)

Cantina Battles
Use any combination of characters to fight through a much harder seperate campaign.

Arena Battles
Use any combination of characters to fight against other player's teams for purple fucking crystals.

Galactic War
Use all of your characters in any combination to fight through a campaign of other player's teams. Your character's health and cooldowns will all be persistent throughout the campaign, so strategic use of all of your heroes is key.

Challenges
Every day there is a rotation of challenges to do:

Str/Int/Agi challenge (5 per day) - Fight a set battle against someone that requires a specific strategy to score gear.

Training remote (level up)/Mining drop (money)/Ability Mat (level up abilities) challenge (3 per day) - Same as above, just on a different schedule.

All challenges are available on Sunday!

Events
Special events will show up in this mode from time to time. These events usually give specific rewards exclusive to that event. The events will only be available for a limited time, but will return at a later date once they conclude. Droid and Credit earning events are always available.

Will I hate myself just a little bit for playing this game?

Of course, but that's ok. It's pretty fun. Especially if you are itching for Star Wars. At first it didn't seem like much, but I'm getting more addicted by the day to the point I figured I'd go ahead and make an OT for it. Just be careful with your wallet.

Will all future Star Wars games be bearing the "Star Wars EA" branding?

Also, I'm stealing the term "purple fucking crystals" from you as my go-to term for premium currency.

Platy

Still no Rey on the cover xD

No seriously, really weird to don't see ANYONE from force awakens in the promotional images and get such a huge "UNLOCK KYLO REN" on the itens o_O

I started playing this on January 1st and am loving it. I haven't unlocked a ton of characters, my highlight is Asajj Ventress, but I'm close to unlocking two more. The game can be quite addicting and I have yet to spend any money on it—I don't spend money on free-to-play games anyhow, and I don't see myself doing so here either.

Soupy

Banned
I'm terrified to get too heavily invested time wise or money wise, with any Star Wars mobile games seeing how quickly they seem to be killed off by Disney and/or EA.

Hari Seldon

I played this for a few hours and do not understand it at all. I mean I can win at it, but it is just a matter of granding and unlocking upgrades, not strategy. Seems pointless.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I unlocked Luminara the other day and got Talia to 4-star. I got discouraged early but things definitely started to pick up once I unlocked Sidious and Dooku. I'm currently working on getting Old Daka shards to have a more reliable darkside healer.

Still totally F2P with no plans to spend any money, though. I don't like how the game is monetized.

Apeboy

I played this for a few hours and do not understand it at all. I mean I can win at it, but it is just a matter of granding and unlocking upgrades, not strategy. Seems pointless.

Agree. The game never goes anywhere. No rhyme or reason, just grind.

Dwayne

It's actually pretty strategic later in the game, when it comes to the leaderboards anyway. There's actually an existing topic for this game and you'll see in the later pages a lot of discussion about the differences between the characters and the different strategies of play.

Jaleel

So hooked on this game. Lvl 60 and my dudes are beast. Ally Code:115-456-178 if you need help.

Current Arena Team:
5* Phasma
6* Sid
Almost 6* Kylo
6* Lumi
6* Old Ben ( Ya I spent some cash, lol)

Did I mention I was hooked?

Working on Poe and FOTP (Both 4*) so I can make people rage in Arena.

Blank!

Two OP updates:

Challenges - every day there is a rotation of challenges to do:

Str/Int/Agi challenge (5 per day) - Fight a set battle against someone that requires a "specific" strategy to beat (most of these can just be "facerolled"/auto-played when youre geared enough)

Training remote (level up)/Mining drop (money)/Ability Mat (level up abilities) challenge (3 per day) - Same as above, just on a different schedule.

All challenges are available on Sunday.

Keycard battles will be for "Events". There's currently two placeholders and they're both incredibly pointless to do. 50 energy for 3 easy fights with shitty rewards. Avoid.

Blank!

The Lightside/Darkside and cantina fights are all your basic gear/level checks with a tad bit of strategy (not too much, but turn-order maniuplation/status effects do come into play).

I'd say early/mid level Galactic War is pretty challenging/strategic but as your roster improves becomes a lot easier to faceroll. Arena has some challenge/strategy with perfecting your team and learning to counter "meta" choices.

Durden77

I'm terrified to get too heavily invested time wise or money wise, with any Star Wars mobile games seeing how quickly they seem to be killed off by Disney and/or EA.

Not to say this isn't warranted, but this game does seem to be getting more support than any other mobile Star Wars game so far. They had a Christmas event that revolved around every player beating Boba Fett in the challenges, and have spoken about continuing to update the game further. Plus, it's very reminiscent of Marvel Future Fight in a lot of ways, and that game has been going strong for over half a year now. I imagine Disney has some sort of hand in both of these, and is probably trying to craft a Star Wars game with the same long-lasting appeal as Marvel Future Fight.

Two OP updates:

Challenges - every day there is a rotation of challenges to do:

Str/Int/Agi challenge (5 per day) - Fight a set battle against someone that requires a "specific" strategy to beat (most of these can just be "facerolled"/auto-played when youre geared enough)

All challenges are available on Sunday.

Keycard battles will be for "Events". There's currently two placeholders and they're both incredibly pointless to do. 50 energy for 3 easy fights with shitty rewards. Avoid.

Cool thanks. I'll update the OP when I get home.

Also, I'm stealing the term "purple fucking crystals" from you as my go-to term for premium currency.

Please, be my guest.

Thought I was the only person here playing this lol. I'm THIS fucking close to finally getting a 5th dark side character in the first order trooper.

But what I really want is Old Ben Kenobi. Old geezer is op.

Cth

Subscribing!

Ally Code: 846-799-421

Currently level 50, got a Tie Pilot who does insane damage 2-4 times on average without factoring in team mate abilities.

Matticers

I started playing this a week or two before Christmas and I've been hooked ever since. I'm pretty interested to see what they do with their next update. Hopefully we get Yoda. There are still a ton of characters they can add.

Dwayne

They're not incredibly pointless if you need XP. You get 19,500 XP if you pay 50 gems for the energy to do the keycard arena twice, along with 20 extra energy and some sim tokens. Buying training droids from the shipment menu will get you 21,000 XP, but that costs 60 gems, so keycard is the better deal. I've used it to get my team up to level 60 and quickly advance new team members.

Dragoshi1

Haven't spent a dime, and doing pretty alright, already Lv46, and halfway to Phasma and Rey via character shards.

I hope they add a vehicles mode to the game, somehow, where you collect iconic vehicles. Just to have a team of walkers, really.

Dwayne

Curious, what time does Squad Arena finish each day for everyone? For me it's 6pm which is great, wondering if everyone has 6pm, or if it's a global rollover.

Delio

I'm pretty sad. I started playing this on my Android phone and of course I switched to iOS and no way am i starting over. Sigh ah well i'll just have to keep playing on my old phone.

Durden77

Haven't spent a dime, and doing pretty alright, already Lv46, and halfway to Phasma and Rey via character shards.

I hope they add a vehicles mode to the game, somehow, where you collect iconic vehicles. Just to have a team of walkers, really.

Oooo that's an awesome idea. Even if they were just like summons of something. I also haven't spent a dime and don't plan too unless they present some less random options, but having a lot of fun. I wish they'd at least let you buy the character bundles they put up sometimes with purple fucking crystals instead of just straight cash.

I'll add everyone that's put their code out here. I didn't even know there was a code system. My code is 618-279-191. Still mainly rolling with a Chewy lead right now, but I use Ima-Gun Di sometimes that's got a good Jedi leader ability.

Hopefully eventually they'll get some sort of alliance system going so we can GAF group it up. I will update the OP with the codes that have been given out so far when I can.

wowzors

Have a team of boba, savage opress,luminara, sidious, and chewie (replaced by ct-fives tomorrow). Haven't spent a dime, also unlocking dooku tomorrow

Level 60 and all characters are between 57-60. Gear level 6ish average.

None of my. Characters are purple, only blues, savage will be 5 star in two days everyone else is 4 star.

Durden77

Damn I just got Ahsoka and Fives in 2 out of the 3 Bronzanium data cards I just opened. I've never even gotten a character out of one of those before. Fucking sweet.

And yeah, game rolls over at midnight EST.

Aselith

Just hit 60 tonight now I'm leveling all my characters up so finally actually making use of the key arena challenges since that's an okay way of getting training bots quickly. Seems pretty useless to get the profit mining one though since I never need money I always am just sitting at 4 million credits naturally. Still no vader though :( I need one more shard.

Dunlop

Damn I just got Ahsoka and Fives in 2 out of the 3 Bronzanium data cards I just opened. I've never even gotten a character out of one of those before. Fucking sweet.

And yeah, game rolls over at midnight EST.
I've never gotten a single charter out of the bronze it silver packs : ( just unlocked Palpatine now to figure out how to fit him in

Almost done setting up my TFA teams for Light and Dark side as a totally free player. So far only missing Rey and Kylo Ren. Both are sitting at 25 of 80 but Kylo will go fast given I 3 starred his mission and can sim it like crazy now. Did the same for Finn and got him in about a week.

First Order team is much more fun in my opinion and I'll probably focus there once I get Rey and so some of the easier promotions for the Resistance. Getting Phasma near 6 stars and took TIE Pilot to Gear VII for my first purple.

Most time spent on a mobile game but it's really fun and sits the trick for long car rides and slow work days. Much more fun trying to theme your teams than go for the meta, part of which is irking me with the squad Pvp battles.

What are the most efficient ways to get ability materials? I am swimming in Mk1 stuff but the 2+3 variant I am always super in need of.

Amiibro

just started tonight before work, had lots of downtime and I got to level 18 in a night. Guess thats okay. Wish I wasn't late to the party on this one sounds like I could be pretty well off if I had caught this game when it released. I cannot get very far at all in the dark side missions as my 3 chars are terrible. My Light Side battles seem to go a lot better I have Chewie (Clone Wars), Jedi Consular, Clone Sergent, Ewok and Jawa. Chewie is the only one decent, starting to get pretty miserable tho.

Guess I'm off to read some starting guides, wish I had read this before and rerolled over and over to get someone better than Chewbacca. Anyone posting tips in this thread for new users finding out about the game through this thread would be helpful.

My Ally Code : 541-416-935

Interfectum

Almost done setting up my TFA teams for Light and Dark side as a totally free player. So far only missing Rey and Kylo Ren. Both are sitting at 25 of 80 but Kylo will go fast given I 3 starred his mission and can sim it like crazy now. Did the same for Finn and got him in about a week.

First Order team is much more fun in my opinion and I'll probably focus there once I get Rey and so some of the easier promotions for the Resistance. Getting Phasma near 6 stars and took TIE Pilot to Gear VII for my first purple.

Most time spent on a mobile game but it's really fun and sits the trick for long car rides and slow work days. Much more fun trying to theme your teams than go for the meta, part of which is irking me with the squad Pvp battles.

The best PvP team I've seen so far was Maul / Kylo / Vader / Sidious / Dooku. They looked so badass haha.

j-wood

What are the most efficient ways to get ability materials? I am swimming in Mk1 stuff but the 2+3 variant I am always super in need of.

Galactic war and the ability mat challenge.

Pro tip! Be sure to play on Sundays. Every challenge is active for you to do!

The best PvP team I've seen so far was Maul / Kylo / Vader / Sidious / Dooku. They looked so badass haha.
It still upsets me that Sidious is a dual wielder and has no lightning moves. I mean, even Dooku gets a lightning move. I do like the effects of Sidious though preventing health regen, seems fitting.

timewyrm

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can have two accounts up and running at the same time. I've got my main account, and if I log out of my Google account I can access my other account.

I've been doing this so I can get alt chars on the other account and see if they're worth grinding for on the main.

Durden77

It still upsets me that Sidious is a dual wielder and has no lightning moves. I mean, even Dooku gets a lightning move. I do like the effects of Sidious though preventing health regen, seems fitting.

Yeah Sideous is weird. His moveset and even look aren't very reminiscent of what I think of him at all. He's really good though.

I'm hoping the reason why they did that though is because eventually they'll be adding the Emperor version of him, and that's where we'll get all the lightning and such. I gotta imagine they will considering the Emperor is in the artwork used in this OP.

Experien

How is the actual gameplay?

Lite turn-based combat with 5 characters on your team. Everyone has one attack, a second ability they can unlock, a third ability they can unlock if they are special (main characters vs Stormtroopers), and a passive trait they can unlock.

Can be a grind to get new people but it is not invasive at all about "buy more crystals."

People you can counter attack are KEY. I've won matches with one FO Trooper vs two jedi cause he was strong enough and had counter attack.

How is the actual gameplay?
Gameplay between even teams is fun. They just need to get real time matches going. Also wish they'd not raise the cap so frequently. Most people who started from the beginning are just now reaching the lvl60 cap and they're about to bump it to 70. I would like to see how things play out once people start competing against each other with maxed teams but doesn't seem like we'll get that outside a small bunch. Not too hard to find teams on your level though.

Durden77

I just realized that Fives and Clone Sergeant Phase 1 are the only 2 clones in the whole game. Kinda sucks for their abilities that benefit from other clones. Even though I think Fives is fine without them.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
Truthfully I hate pay to play phone games, but I'm actually having fun with this one. I haven't payed a single penny. Also being a Star Wars nerd (old and new canon) helps immensely as it's addictive to try and unlock characters. Plus paying doesn't seem that important....yet.

timewyrm

Truthfully I hate pay to play phone games, but I'm actually having fun with this one. I haven't payed a single penny. Also being a Star Wars nerd (old and new canon) helps immensely as it's addictive to try and unlock characters. Plus paying doesn't seem that important....yet.

I'm finding it mighty hard to resist the urge to spend money. I've already spent £3.99 for the 7 days worth of crystals. Thinking of spending another £7.99 for the 1340 crystals.

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I'm finding it mighty hard to resist the urge to spend money. I've already spent £3.99 for the 7 days worth of crystals. Thinking of spending another £7.99 for the 1340 crystals.
I've been getting the urge but I'm fighting it the best I can lol

Darth_Caedus

No longer canonical
I think we should start a Galaxy of Heroes Anonymous !

BTW, anyone know if we can tell if our chars are used as allies? Also, any news about rewards for the same ?
I have no idea about that stuff. I was actually wondering about it too the other day.

Toa TAK

Banned
Been playing this a lot on my iPad recently. Haven't put any money into it (.....yet), but it's a fun little time waster so far.

Really want to unlock Vader and Rey already. 80 shards for the man?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

I honestly think it's worth it, provided you spend gems on refreshes and not chromium pulls. You'll create a stronger team faster and make up the gem difference in arena wins because you'll place higher.

timewyrm

I honestly think it's worth it, provided you spend gems on refreshes and not chromium pulls. You'll create a stronger team faster and make up the gem difference in arena wins because you'll place higher.

Exclusively towards refreshes...well maybe one chromium !

Top Bottom