• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Kinect was worked on by 10 teams, 200+ people

Dunlop

Clueless parents will buy this for their kids, just cause it has Star Wars slapped on the box. *shakes head*

You understand that a parent will purchase a game for their child to have fun, right? Not to the anal standards held by some here.

It has been known for quite a while what this game was catering to (kids..young kids). Stop acting so surprised that this is not the next iteration of jedi Knight or X-Wing vs Tie Fighter

This is not the game you are looking for

nasos_333

Some games are such a waste of man power than breaks my heart

Imagine what all those people could have made if they worked on Dark Souls 2

Pitty that the industry has become so shallow

sTeLioSco

Banned
Oh yah, Princess in a Battle (Genie in a Bottle)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdYt7oETD5k

The Wookiee's sayin' let's go!

the best thing are the lyrics.
in all the dancing videos btw....

UTXQZ.jpg

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
The best way for me to describe this game is from a parents perspective such as myself. I pre-ordered this from shopto and it arrived 5 days before the official release discounted to under £30, I'll admit this sent alarm bells ringing but it's for my son who LOVES star wars and still plays every iteration of lego star wars on DS, wii and 360 and never complains.
So I install this to 360 as I imagine it always being on and I don't want my disc drive prematurely wearing out. My son starts playing and all I hear is," Dad why will he not move when I step forward? Dad why does the lightsaber go through the robot and not kill him, Dad why will he not jump when I jump, Dad I tell kinect to play and it won't play, Dad why does C3PO not sound like him, Dad look Dad when I lift my hands up to lift the tree it's not working, Dad you can have this back now and can you turn on the wii."
Thanks Microsoft, you owe me one.

Sounds like a Kinect game. Too bad they just didn't make this a real game with real controllers.

The best way for me to describe this game is from a parents perspective such as myself. I pre-ordered this from shopto and it arrived 5 days before the official release discounted to under £30, I'll admit this sent alarm bells ringing but it's for my son who LOVES star wars and still plays every iteration of lego star wars on DS, wii and 360 and never complains.
So I install this to 360 as I imagine it always being on and I don't want my disc drive prematurely wearing out. My son starts playing and all I hear is," Dad why will he not move when I step forward? Dad why does the lightsaber go through the robot and not kill him, Dad why will he not jump when I jump, Dad I tell kinect to play and it won't play, Dad why does C3PO not sound like him, Dad look Dad when I lift my hands up to lift the tree it's not working, Dad you can have this back now and can you turn on the wii."
Thanks Microsoft, you owe me one.

He plays them because they're good quality games.

I honestly don't know what this generation of children have done to deserve this? You have parents on a gaming message board saying they will inflict this crap on their children? At least when I was a kid I could put it down to my parents ignorance when they bought me a bad game.

i-Lo

It's like all my memories of Starwars characters are being raped by barbed wires (esp. Darth Vader). Why on earth did they skin a dance game and rewrite popular songs with Starwars content is to me unfathomable (besides obvious reason milking starwars and kinect).

NeoUltima

No better way to validate the naysayers than to include a dancing minigame.

This was suppose to be the hardcore Kinect game...not just another minigame collection.

No better way to validate the naysayers than to include a dancing minigame.

This was suppose to be the hardcore Kinect game...not just another minigame collection.

Was it really? Wasn't it always supposed to be aimed at kids, because Star Wars is currently aimed at that market?

Played it for an hour today, podracing is surprisingly competent, but the rest is terrible.

Jb

Was it really? Wasn't it always supposed to be aimed at kids, because Star Wars is currently aimed at that market?

Played it for an hour today, podracing is surprisingly competent, but the rest is terrible.

That's who they ended up targeting for sure, but when it was first unveiled iirc it was the one Kinect game (with Forza) that might appeal to core gamers, amidst the Kinect Sports and Kinectimals.

SPDIF

Gabe of Penny Arcade posted his thoughts:

http://penny-arcade.com/2012/04/02/star-wars-kinect

There is a video of his son playing it with a toy lightsaber in hand and I love how the motions barely sync. Heh.

Not trying to excuse the game in anyway, but to be fair, right from the beginning they said they weren't trying for 1:1 motion. Instead they thought it was better to have the user do an action, then, depending on what sort of swing they did, a pre set animation would kick in.

Why they did this when Kinect Sports showed that 1:1 can work pretty well, I don't know.

Not trying to excuse the game in anyway, but to be fair, right from the beginning they said they weren't trying for 1:1 motion. Instead they thought it was better to have the user do an action, then, depending on what sort of swing they did, a pre set animation would kick in.

Why they did this when Kinect Sports showed that 1:1 can work pretty well, I don't know.

So it's lightsaber battles on rails. Amazing. Maybe the next Kinect will be able to do it properly.

B.O.O.M

Does anyone know the name of the song darth vader is dancing to? I would like to listen to it, without having to see the abomination

nvm found it

massoluk

Banned
They should have just fledged out the Light Saber + Force Push game. From what I see, it looks simple enough. Could have had made it similar to Darth Vader stages on Star Wars arcade.

.hacked

I wanted to buy the Star Wars Xbox, game was a nice bonus.

I have not played a kinect game since the device launched. As a new experience for someone who has not played a lot of kinect I fount the game enjoyable. Not sure if it adds anything new to the kinect experience but I liked the star wars themed mini games much more then the stuff in kinect sports or adventures.

It got me to play that dam dance game. My wife said' "I had to beg you to dance at our wedding but you will dance for a star wars game.". Fanboy in me will put up with the fussy controls just for all the neat star wars stuff.

I think that about sums it up, it is a ok collection of mini games, but if you are a star wars fan you might just like it.

BTW the star wars Xbox is really nice. Matte finish, r2d2 sounds and the disc tray is inscribed with "Help us obi wan your our only hope", and the controller is nice and shinny hope it holds up. Best le console I ever purchased.

I feel like I should disclose that I worked on this game (1 of 200+!). But no need to hold back the hate on my account, I can take it :p

don't expect me to answer every single question though, lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I feel like I should disclose that I worked on this game (1 of 200+!). But no need to hold back the hate on my account, I can take it :p

don't expect me to answer every single question though, lol

I have a legit question if you can answer. What was the main reason behind the delay from Christmas to April? What did y'all do mainly with the extra time?

Cels

200+ people, and yet by all accounts (haven't played it myself but have watched videos) it's a turd.

I have a legit question if you can answer. What was the main reason behind the delay from Christmas to April? What did y'all do mainly with the extra time?

to be honest, discussing that topic is way above my pay grade :p I'm just a regular GAF member who happens to have worked on the game, and not any official PR representative or anything...so yeah. I figure it's safe to answer questions about how the game works or whatever though (hey everybody, dancing is a separate game mode, not part of the jedi campaign!)

I suppose I could understand people wanting to know more about the development than the actual game, heh.

I also like having a job and don't want to lose it

PKrockin

A lot of Star Wars fans tend to forget that the original film is actually now over 30 years old. This means that there’s now actually three generations of Star Wars fans to please when creating a Star Wars game. While I’d be happy schooling Darth Vader in the ways of the Force and destroying Death Stars in my X-Wing Fighter my daughters would prefer to hang out with Jar Jar Binks and play dress up with Princess Leia and Queen Amidala. It seems the developers of Kinect Star Wars realised this and kept it in mind when creating the game.

Hahahahaha .... HAHAHAHAHA!

Shiggy

The dancing videos on Youtube look as if this game is a Star Wars parody. And as such it should be treated.

I saw some TV ads of the game, it seems that they are spending a lot of money in marketing.

The funny is that the ads showed all the game modes... except the dance.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
The dancing videos on Youtube look as if this game is a Star Wars parody. And as such it should be treated.

It's a silly kids game that seems fairly self-aware. Of course it's clunky and poorly designed but I'm sure children will find much to enjoy. It was clear right from the start that this was not suitable for more discerning players.

Top Bottom