• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
If I may speculate based on the image I just posted...SPOILERS because I'm using a leak to help me out.

1. Rey surrenders herself to Snoke/Kylo because she believes it will help save her friends or something. She is taken to the Supremacy.
2. Finn and Rose's mission is to BLOW UP the Supremacy.
3. Rey gets tortured by Snoke. Finn and Rose get captured/interrogated.
4. Snoke participates, with the Supremacy, in the battle of Crait.
5. Bomb goes off. Chaos. Rey uses this to escape. Same for Finn and Rose. This is the aftermath in which Finn and Phasma fight.
6. Rey, Finn, and Rose make it off and down to Crait to participate in the remnants of the battle.

okdakor

"Ah, yes. A Jedi's weapon, much like your father's."

And he points it at his face
BzjXFtq.jpg

Unit 33

Who has Vader’s lightsaber now?
It was last seen in one if the Afternath books, sold to a bunch of cultists, but it’s unclear whether it is the genuine article.

Even then the cultists claimed they were going to destroy it in order to return to Vader in death.

Good assessment. In some cases, rewriting the dialogue actually doesn't fix things. For example, Jar Jar Binks is a flat out failure from beginning to end. This is apparent in EP2/3, where his presence is progressively phased out.

That's an ENTIRE MAIN CHARACTER that you flubbed, George. There's no rewriting that. It needed to be scrapped.

When you have an entire section of a film that needs to be scrapped, you've got a massive problem. You've got a conceptual problem (of course, some concepts are actually quite good, as you mentioned). Not to say I don't think there aren't fantastic aspects of the films, and you pointed them out above.

Anakin should never have been the main character of the PT. Obi-Wan should have.

I actually think there's a good chance we'll be looking in on Kylo and Snoke before we get to Rey and Luke.

I was thinking about this today. Every main saga movie begins with the crawl, and then we're in space and it either pans to something, or one or more ships enter the frame. I'm not sure how that would work if they were to pick up with Luke and Rey right where we left off in TFA, so I think the film will start with Kylo Ren meeting up with Snoke, probably on his flagship or something since that would be a very Star Wars way to introduce it.

Surfinn

Anakin should never have been the main character of the PT. Obi-Wan should have.

Nah. Conceptually, Anakin makes a lot of sense. The trilogy is SUPPOSED to center around him.. around his downfall. You can still show all of the world building, politics and wars, but Anakin used as a centerpiece to drive the story DOES work if done right.

Obi-Wan being the main character doesn't fix any of that. All it does is treat symptoms of the disease (an underdeveloped and unrealized main character).

Think a lighter version of Breaking Bad.

JCHandsom

The Prequel Trilogy shouldn't have been a three-part Anakin story imo

Would have worked much better doing a larger narrative about the Rise of the Empire, with Anakin becoming Vader being a part of it instead of the other way around.

Surfinn

Would have worked much better doing a larger narrative about the Rise of the Empire, with Anakin becoming Vader being a part of it instead of the other way around.

I think a three part film about Anakin would still work, conceptually. It just so happens to turn out that the first movie was wasted.. and they started too young. He probably should have been a teen, young adult, then adult. Or just young adult/adult/adult.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
I was thinking about this today. Every main saga movie begins with the crawl,and then we're in space and it either pans to something, or one or more ships enter the frame. I'm not sure how that would work if they were to pick up with Luke and Rey right where we left off in TFA, so I think the film will start with Kylo Ren meeting up with Snoke, probably on his flagship or something since that would be a very Star Wars way to introduce it.

This is a really good point. It's also not unprecedented to start the movie with the villains. I think ESB and RotJ both did that?

JCHandsom

I think a three part film about Anakin would still work, conceptually. It just so happens to turn out that the first movie was wasted.. and they started too young. He probably should have been a teen, young adult, then adult. Or just young adult/adult/adult.

I've never found Anakin falling to the dark side to be as interesting as his redemption. The overcomplicated way the Prequels try to show his fall (he wasn't so much seduced by the dark side as he was tricked into it) belie how little there is behind it. Show him as a nice guy who was ambitious/power-hungry/obsessed with security or some other such ideological difference and leave it at that.

It really doesn't need more than a movie, because the OT wasn't about Vader, so giving us his entire life story only to move into a trilogy where he's not as prominent is a waste.

"Anakin is the chosen one" never made sense to me and it smacks of fan-backfilling because of his popularity.

Surfinn

This is a really good point. It's also not unprecedented to start the movie with the villains. I think ESB and RotJ both did that?

If you think about it, a decent amount of time has passed since the destruction of Starkiller base (presumably what, a handful of hours to a day or so?). I'm guessing the crawl is gunna be all about dealing with the resistance, Snoke, Hux and Kylo.. moving components we don't get to see in TFA because of Rey traveling to and meeting with Luke.

For example (just a rough idea)..

The First Order is planning a retaliatory strike against The Resistance after the destruction of Starkiller base. A few more details about this, blah blah blah. Kylo Ren and General Hux have arrived at Snoke's secret location. After a staggering defeat, Ren begins his training with his master. Meanwhile, Rey continues her journey with Luke Skywalker..

Start in space, slowly pan down, zoom in on planet, shot over the ocean (showing islands, slow zoom, back to Rey handing Luke saber)

I've never found Anakin falling to the dark side to be as interesting as his redemption. The overcomplicated way the Prequels try to show his fall (he wasn't so much seduced by the dark side as he was tricked into it) belie how little there is behind it. Show him as a nice guy who was ambitious/power-hungry/obsessed with security or some other such ideological difference and leave it at that.

It really doesn't need more than a movie, because the OT wasn't about Vader, so giving us his entire life story only to move into a trilogy where he's not as prominent is a waste.

"Anakin is the chosen one" never made sense to me and it smacks of fan-backfilling because of his popularity.

Thats the thing though. There isn't more to his turn simply because it wasn't well written.. wasn't fleshed out. If done right, you wouldn't feel like the films are wasting time. Instead, GL pretty much spent one film turning Anakin, so it FELT like the other two were wasted. But what if they weren't? What if Padme, Anakin, his struggle with the dark side, his anger, struggle with his failures and shortcomings, were spanned out over the course of three films ALONGSIDE all the cool world building and wars that we see on screen?

It could have been done, and Obi-Wan could still play a huge role as a main character in helping Anakin along his path yet eventually failing him.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
Vader wasn't redeemed. He made a redemptive act, but redeemed? Nah. Dude slaughtered children and killed millions. You don't get redeemed by deciding to not kill your own son.

GPsych

Thankfully the Clone Wars series pretty much showed just that. It's too bad we needed a six season long animated series to show us that, though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Vader wasn't redeemed. He made a redemptive act, but redeemed? Nah. Dude slaughtered children and killed millions. You don't get redeemed by deciding to not kill your own son.

The Force and the movie definitely thought he was redeemed.

13thStep

He didnt just not kill his son, he killed Palpatine. That's a pretty big deal, worthy of redemption no?

Yup. I wouldn't have minded if battle-weary Obi-Wan didn't recruit a dashing, Han Solo-style pilot named Anakin until Episode II. Maybe even III.

TheXbox

Forget the younglings. Can't hold anything against Vader that comes from the fountain of the prequels' stupidity.

Lizzy

Unconfirmed Member
He didnt just not kill his son, he killed Palpatine. That's a pretty big deal, worthy of redemption no?
He slaughtered children.
I mean, I think the millions award goes to Tarkin.
Vader was there every step of the way with Tarkin. I mean, I guess if you wanna be nitpicky, he was an accomplice to genocide. That's still really, really, really bad!
Forget the younglings. Can't hold anything against Vader that comes from the fountain of the prequels' stupidity.
There's still Alderaan though.

JCHandsom

Yeah, I should clarify that I mean "redeemed in the moment" not "redeemed as a character". He did the right thing at the right time and he proved Luke was right that there was still some good in him, but the film doesn't try and make Darth Vader a retroactive good guy.

That being said, the film leans into a fantasy morality that distinguishes between "Vader" and "Anakin" as two different entities, a duality of man/machine, light/dark, good/evil. Vader was redeemed in the sense that "Anakin" overcame his dark half and took control. That's why "Anakin" gets a Force Ghost and why Obi-Wan is all like "Anakin did die from a certain point of view".

Surfinn

He slaughtered children.

Vader was there every step of the way with Tarkin. I mean, I guess if you wanna be nitpicky, he was an accomplice to genocide. That's still really, really, really bad!

I mean, I think the millions award goes to Tarkin.

Vader is complicit in murdering billions. The softening of Vader's image just doesn't work. He's clearly supposed to be the bad guy in ANH and ESB, at the very least.

I do agree that redeeming Vader isn't exactly a smooth or completely satisfying process simply because of all the horrible she he does throughout the OT (not including the PT).

Still, it's nice to see him redeem himself in the eyes of his son, at least in that moment. It's more of a familial redeption, not a character redemption. And yeah, it's still messy.

Surfinn

Honestly, I think Vader's final act works SO MUCH BETTER if he's not shown as a force ghost (Anakin).

That way.. we can see that he at least redeemed himself with one PERSON, but isn't completely forgiven for damn near a lifetime of being the baddie.

If nothing else, he gave his son an opportunity to be the GOOD guy, who he's always been.

13thStep

I'm not sure I want to be part of the Star Wars universe if it takes that approach to morality.

We are debating morality of a movie character, just using the universe it is set in to explain why he was redeemed. Killing children is awful, we all know that.

In testimony to this, I feel like the whole plotline of him and Padmé going back to Tatooine works much better if it's done as a reveal for a first film, rather than a revisit for a second. The cocky, sure of himself Jedi becoming slightly troubled at the suggestion of visiting one of the seedier parts of the galaxy as a hiding spot (which okay, it would have to be a suggestion someone else makes) could have been initially framed as, well, just that. Both in-universe and out, the reputation of Tatooine would seem like the most obvious reason a Jedi would want to avoid it.

Then, Watto spots him. Starts talking too much for Anakin's liking. Lets slip that oh, the high and mighty Jedi padawan happens to be a former slave who always talked up how he was going to free the lot of them. Is that you're what you're here to do now, eh, Jedi? I don't see that army you were always talking about.

While this would require a change so that he and Padmé hadn't met on Tatooine either, I think it works better as a means of creating nuance for the character, in the context of a first film. It would reveal to the audience that Anakin has had to overcome hardships to get where he is, has a strong desire for justice, but also is frustrated by how he is yet to be able to act out the ideals of his youth. The brazen behaviour that we see at the start of the film would now be set in relief against the boy that once had nothing to his name.

It is far from impossible to understand what Lucas was going for, but man did he need to land it better.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Honestly, I think Vader's final act works SO MUCH BETTER if he's not shown as a force ghost (Anakin).

That way.. we can see that he at least redeemed himself with one PERSON, but isn't completely forgiven for damn near a lifetime of being the baddie.

If nothing else, he gave his son an opportunity to be the GOOD guy, who he's always been.

Which is why this would've been pretty cool, I feel.
936araW.jpg

It shows us the Force never really forgave him and that even in death, his spirit is still fighting to not go back to the Dark side.

Surfinn

Which is why this would've been pretty cool, I feel.
936araW.jpg

It shows us the Force never really forgave him and that even in death, his spirit is still fighting to not go back to the Dark side.

I like this idea. What if Luke saw this vision over the body of Vader, while he was burning him? Only issue I see with it is that I think Sith are not capable of being ANYTHING after death.

JCHandsom

Thats the thing though. There isn't more to his turn simply because it wasn't well written.. wasn't fleshed out. If done right, you wouldn't feel like the films are wasting time. Instead, GL pretty much spent one film turning Anakin, so it FELT like the other two were wasted. But what if they weren't? What if Padme, Anakin, his struggle with the dark side, his anger, struggle with his failures and shortcomings, were spanned out over the course of three films ALONGSIDE all the cool world building and wars that we see on screen?

It could have been done, and Obi-Wan could still play a huge role as a main character in helping Anakin along his path yet eventually failing him.

Sure, but that could be said of any character. We could have gotten a trilogy centered around Obi-Wan, The Emperor, Han, Yoda, Lando, Chewie, Wedge, Owen, etc. and they could all conceivably be great if they were executed well enough to justify it (with the understanding that more justification is needed the less important the character).

All I'm saying is that Anakin didn't really warrant that much in the first place. Like, Vader wasn't THAT important in the OT. He was a major villain, but he wasn't by any means the CHOSEN ONE destined to destroy the Sith and bring balance to the Force. He was only as important as he was a central figure in Luke's story.

Think one thing I did not like about the prequels and glad did not seemingly make it into the newest set of movies, is the Lightsaber fights. The prequels were all flourish and pizzaz but made me wonder why the hell were were spinning and twirling so much. One friend who is admittedly more a fan than me said "it's supposed to be the traditional way of light saber fencing" or some nonsense.

Compared to the current films where they seem... not down and dirty but an actual fight.

This is largely a George choice because, in his words, we only got to see a young boy, an old man, and an old cripple use lightsabers in the OT. The result of that is lines that sound cool with added context but seem a bit silly if you can look at them without any other conception of them (the main one that always got me chuckling is when Vader says "the power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force." I always just laughed at that because without the added EU/prequel stuff, Jedi in the OT sound like chumps.

One of the underappreciated scenes the prequels is actually the first scene in TPM. We actually get to see why people would be in awe of Jedi Knights as two of them wipe out dozens of blaster-wielding foes and then continue to cause havoc on Naboo. Just two! And one's only a Padawan! Just in the OT, you don't really get to see that. The Force advantages in those movies are ultimately just giving Luke aimbot powers. Also lightning by the end of it (which was awesome).

Top Bottom