• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound announced - new game from Terraria artist + new studio

dLMN8R

Holy ambitious! This is the game that was discussed here.

http://playstarbound.com/

What's weird is that this game isn't actually by Re-Logic, it's by "Chucklefish games"

A story within a sandbox

Starbound begins with you fleeing your homeworld in a space shuttle, just as it’s destroyed by an unknown enemy. With nothing to guide it, the escape pod shoots into space without direction, becoming hopelessly lost in a sea of stars. As luck would have it, the space shuttle makes contact with an abandoned space station and an adventure begins that will take you hurtling across the universe. Starbound contains both quests and story driven missions, buried inside its vast sandbox universe.

The Space Station

The space station in Starbound is sprawling and full of potential. Throughout your travels you’ll find ways to upgrade and repair it, restoring it to its former glory. You’ll need to find a crew, conduct research, catch rare creatures, and unlock its multitude of facilities. From a factory capable of producing mechs to labs where captured enemies can be studied and trained, the space station contains everything you need to explore the universe.

Endless Planets to visit

Planets in Starbound are entirely procedurally generated and filled to the brim with unique content. We went into the planet generation with one simple goal: no two planets should be the same. By procedurally generating even the smallest details, we’re doing just that. Not only is the terrain of the planet procedurally generated, but the weather, the gravity, the difficulty level, the plant life, the behaviour and appearance of alien creatures, and much more all contain random or procedurally generated elements.
We want you to feel like an explorer!

Because we’re working so hard to make each planet unique, we want to give you the tools to catalogue the things you find and make sure absolutely everything you find has depth in the world. Much like old school point and click adventures, absolutely every object in the world, right down to the trees and flowers, can be examined for a description.

See a weird alien tree? Examine it! Maybe you’ll discover something about its use! For any explorer, sharing discoveries is important. So whilst the game is fully coop (Bring your friends along! Form an expedition!) you can also record your findings in an electronic logbook. Not only that, but each and every planet has unique coordinates in the Universe that you can share online, so other players can check out exactly what you found!

Finding a new home

Exploring is wonderful, but everyone needs a place to call their own. That’s why we’re letting you claim an entire planet!

When you claim a planet as your new homeworld, a whole new aspect of gameplay opens up. Everything that makes a planet unique is at your command. Feel like changing the weather? Build a weather centre! Don’t like the terrain? Terraform it! Every aspect of the planet is under your control. Once you’re happy with it, start populating it with characters you’ve met in your travels and take care of them! They’ll have needs and desires and won’t hesitate to ask for your help if they require assistance.

This is only just scratching the surface of what we have in store for you in Starbound.

From Duckroll's thread:
Sprite Work:
HmLNB.gif
TvOZG.gif

BzBgC.gif

tMwEI.gif

New media:

ForestPlanet-1.png

ArcticPlanet.png

TentaclePlanet-31.png

krabmikaze1.png

dropship1-211.png

Lab11.png

Voidguts

can't wait for this - I spent around 100 hours playing Terraria. the sprites are much, much better in this one.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
One of the best indie devs I can think of. They listen to fans and intelligently deliver in such a major way and quite quickly. Hopefully they're planning out content expansion more intelligently (how many times did we reboot Terraria?) this time. Other than that I'm totally stoked.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
What's weird is that this game isn't actually by Re-Logic, it's by "Chucklefish games"

It's worth noting that Re-Logic is currently taking a vacation from game development since he's having a new child.

And the third guy kind of disappeared a while back for unstated reasons.

MNC

I swear to fucking God I was working on a little game with procedurally generated planets. Man this sucks because I suck and they're Re-Logic. :/ Okay I'm kind of exaggerating, but it always bums me out that whenever I think I found something decently original, during the making of a prototype the game apparently already exists/is being made.

Retro

The thread title is kind of misleading; Relogic is not actually involved with Starbound (it's being developed by Chucklefish), nor is Redigit.

The only connection between the two is that Tiy (sprite artist for Terraria) appears to be the Lead Designer.

That said, this still looks awesome and I will likely get sucked into it just as much as Terraria. Hopefully this doesn't impact Terraria's development because I still really like it and want to see more updates.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is pretty awesome (only read description). Hopefully it's not as bland as Terreria when it comes to visuals.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Looking around that site I'm even more excited. Seriously Terraria was GOTY for me and this looks so good.

The graphics are certainly much higher quality, but I love me my FF4 style sprites too much.

I swear to fucking God I was working on a little game with procedurally generated planets. Man this sucks because I suck and they're Re-Logic. :/ Okay I'm kind of exaggerating, but it always bums me out that whenever I think I found something decently original, during the making of a prototype the game apparently already exists/is being made.
I know that feeling. This exact thing didn't happen to me, but I know that feeling all too well.

androvsky

Is it a 2D sidescroller game with procedurally generated planets? That would be reasonably unusual, but I think ever since the original Elite almost every dev at some point wants to make a game with procedurally generated planets, but usually 3D of some kind.

And I think we all want a game with the description of the OP, but with graphics like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muhlQYFgLE

In the meantime, Starbound looks like it'll tide me over. Looks like a lot of fun. :)

Orayn

1. "Procedurally generated" anything is an instant attention-grabber for me.
2. I definitely like the art style of this one more than Terraria.

Will definitely keep an eye out for it!

vast sandbox universe

a factory capable of producing mechs

labs where captured enemies can be studied and trained

Not only is the terrain of the planet procedurally generated, but the weather, the gravity, the difficulty level, the plant life, the behaviour and appearance of alien creatures

We want you to feel like an explorer!

absolutely every object in the world, right down to the trees and flowers, can be examined for a description

Everything that makes a planet unique is at your command. Feel like changing the weather? Build a weather centre! Don’t like the terrain? Terraform it!

Once you’re happy with it, start populating it with characters you’ve met in your travels and take care of them!

This is now my most anticipated game.

Love the art style.

Hope they tone down on the world building and put most of their work and ressources on the action/RPG stuff. We already got Terraria for the sandbox-style game

MNC

Is it a 2D sidescroller game with procedurally generated planets? That would be reasonably unusual, but I think ever since the original Elite almost every dev at some point wants to make a game with procedurally generated planets, but usually 3D of some kind.

And I think we all want a game with the description of the OP, but with graphics like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3muhlQYFgLE

In the meantime, Starbound looks like it'll tide me over. Looks like a lot of fun. :)

2D sidescrolling procedurally generated planets along with the whole 'random alien/gravity' element; would use standard weapon gameplay (mouse cursor to shoot and whatnot) with some metroidvania and more original weapon systems and/or building/RTS elements. I was in the very early prototyping phases. Oh well it's not like it's a complete copy; coding's fun so I'll just continue on and change some core elements.

parasight

Despite all the big releases this year, this might just be my most anticipated game of the year. Nice to see Tiy tackling such an ambitious project.

dLMN8R

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was just the artist. So many concepts from Terraria are in this game too, like the exploration, procedurally-generated world, etc. I just assumed there were other people from Re-Logic working on this too.

Top Bottom