• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound now available for preorder [Up: Stretch Goals]

Retro

Credit goes to Jira for bringing these to my attention;
PUizTSp.png

dTvgfZe.jpg

8Gdzgim.jpg

nlcYUzw.jpg

xM1F4Uy.jpg

Retro

And a Blog Post on what they've been working on this week;

Hi guys,

A quick update of what we’ve been working on this week.

First off we got all of the craftable (non-procedurally generated) armors finished up and in game. That’s 60 armors so far, not including costumes and clothing.

Every single one of these armors can be dyed a large number of different colours:

armorcolours8bav5.png

We’ve also got planets appearing in space/the night sky now, as you can see in the screenshot above. These planets reflect the solar system you’re currently in.
i3oZXbc.png

This week we’ve also got shields working, we’re still tweaking them but at the moment they can be equipped in either your left or right hand (or both if you’re that way inclined). Holding a shield up will highly raise your armor level when projectiles or enemies hit the shield. Holding your shield up also stops your energy from regenerating and blocking attacks costs energy. The next step here is to load in art and special stats so we can get the game generating a large number of unique shields.

shield4aoi4.png

We’ve also added a new style of biome, the frozen ocean biome is a cold biome full of deep water and small islands of ice.

PUizTSp.png

We’ve continued to work on the glitch Castles, giving them new layouts, rooms to mix up and decoration.

dTvgfZe.jpg

We’ve also continued to improve the space travel animation and feel, added new weaponry, added new NPC behaviour, fixed some netcode issues that popped up, produced some new tracks for the soundtrack and a whole bunch of smaller bits and pieces.

I know some of you are eager to see this sort of thing appear on the roadmap, we will update it soon, we’re just deeply entrenched in our work at the moment. We’re going to try to update it around once a month.

Cheers guys <3

No more info on beta?

Not yet =\

Grinchy

Banned
How does this work exactly when it's outside of steam? Do you have to input each email address of everyone involved int the pack so the key gets mailed to them?

That's a good question. I have no idea. I guess I'll probably just pay the extra 4ish bucks for a single preorder anyway. I get lazy like that.

garath

I expect the person who buys the 4 pack is the recipient of all 4 keys and has to distribute them after the game is released. Much the same way it works when buying a 4pack from steam.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Steam keys? That register on steam already? You can't even buy it on Steam yet. Seems strange to me.
They haven't released the Steam keys yet. I think he means Humble key/order receipt. AFAIK, a 4 pack spits out 4 order receipts so everyone gets their own page with a link to the soundtrack download. When the Steam keys get released your order receipt page will be updated with the key.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/q-how-does-the-4-pack-preorder-work.17290/
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/so-how-exactly-does-the-4-pack-work.17093/

garath

They haven't released the Steam keys yet. I think he means Humble key/order receipt. AFAIK, a 4 pack spits out 4 order receipts so everyone gets their own page with a link to the soundtrack download. When the Steam keys get released your order receipt page will be updated with the key.

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/q-how-does-the-4-pack-preorder-work.17290/
http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/so-how-exactly-does-the-4-pack-work.17093/

Ah, makes perfect sense. Thanks for the clarification. Good to know your get the initial key immediately. Will make organizing 4 packs easier.

Killthee

Looks like they're gonna start releasing more frequent progress updates.

10th May Progress

Hi again,

Today we’re continuing to finish off this weeks work.

Shields functionality is now finished and bug free.
Bartwe stomped a bug with collisions that cause some projectiles to pass through the shield. Blocking now works flawlessy in multiplayer.

We’ve added even more new attacks to NPCs, acid spitting, water spraying, bubble…beaming?

Functionally the crafting window has been done for a long time, now we’re starting to add a ton of info on the item you’re crafting, as well as a system to allow you to search through all your available blueprints. We need a nice search box given the sheer number of items in the game.

Our wonderful artists are beginning to work on ocean environments, coral reefs, plantlife etc. Ocean diving is about to get a lot more interesting. We’re also adding a bunch more interesting costumes. I’m also pushing to get a ton of regular clothing in the game for people who just want to mirror themselves in the game.

RVDeAjI.png
i1xijLE.png

Kyren is working on a deep world storage change that will do some great technical things, then moving onto more combat related code.

We’ve also been improving the UI, we now have a message system that allows any item or UI element to pop up messages on the screen that slide nicely in and out, similarly to the food meter. A food command was added to check your current hunger level. Also, someone broke the sword icons!! *rage* (psst, I think it was Bartwe)

W2w70cp.png
z7ALuIW.png

kvothe

It's so weird having to wait for a game like this to be released to beta nowadays. Typically devs, especially smaller ones, are so willing to hand off the QA for their games to the mass market that the games go into open beta probably before they should.

It's torturous, but I gotta respect Chucklefish for making sure the game works before letting us get our hands on it.

PSiCHO

Neo Member
It's torturous, but I gotta respect Chucklefish for making sure the game works before letting us get our hands on it.

Much better this way. Considering my limited time to play games nowadays, I'm not interested in bug hunting.

My steam library can safely provide me with plenty of fun till release.

Jira

http://playstarbound.com/11th-may-progress/

It’s the weekend! Yay!

Today we’ve been finishing up some crafting changes. Each type of item now has its own swanky layout within the crafting window.

There are lots of different kinds of items, so this was quite a bit of work and it’s nice to have it finally out of the way.

I’ve also thrown a bunch more recipes into the game, given our 1300~ items so far there are a lot of recipes!

Bartwe is working on a sorting and searching system to make the number of items manageable. That will sit in the gap below the schematics list.

Kyren is continuing her super technical work, which will be out of the way soon.

Omni has more or less finished up the log book UI, but I need to configure where all the text/images sit, so no images of that just yet.

One of contributors also made me this with the paint tool <3

Roll on Sunday

Nokterian

Why is this still not added to the OP?

Originally posted by Jira:
sbsliced_01k1k9p.png

sbsliced_0271k1g.png
spacenav1debn.gif
sbsliced_042rj44.png
universegenhrirv.gif
sbsliced_0628kin.png

sbsliced_072fkkb.png

sbsliced_08g0jx8.png
explorationgenc9fnk.gif
sbsliced_10ohket.png
explorationdungeonrqc6a.gif
sbsliced_12e2jt6.png

sbsliced_13u5k5m.png

sbsliced_14r6k0l.png
immersionymd3p.gif
sbsliced_163xj7p.png

sbsliced_17hnjef.png

sbsliced_18oxk3w.png
shipr1c7c.gif
sbsliced_20vlksu.png

sbsliced_213rkfr.png

sbsliced_228kjor.png
combatanimationnukhm.gif
sbsliced_240skfe.png
enemiesodjl0.gif
sbsliced_26l3jkb.png

sbsliced_27mpjb1.png

sbsliced_326ujhb.png
procedwepsebk5s.gif
sbsliced_34hmki5.png
itemsmue2n.gif
sbsliced_311ck0y.png

sbsliced_38ocjrr.png

sbsliced_39l8jbw.gif
catsprymo.gif
sbsliced_41r1jjx.png

So I&#8217;ve spent about the past week or so working on this. Initially I wanted to do one large image but I found out that a large image + 150 frames of animations = BOOM. So I then had to slice the images, spit out the gifs into their own files, and then reassemble the whole thing. Well here it is and I hope it gets you as excited as I am. Feel free to spread this around as that&#8217;s the entire purpose of why I made it.

I also have to give credit to the Reddit user Suasive for the inspiration otherwise I may have never done it.

Also, check out this thread for the single most comprehensive post about the game:

http://community.playstarbound.com/...nced-game-information-updated-april-15th.450/
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazing work. Should be in an OT or something. Deserves to be requoted in its unedited glory.[/QUOTE]

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Yeah that's great work and belongs in the OP. This game can't come soon enough.

microtubule

Yeah and Jira needs to get royalties for that. I was holding out like Duckroll but saw Jira's brief summary and poof there goes $15 bucks.

Killthee

I guess these progress reports are gonna be dailies cause there's a new one up!

Tiy said:
May 12th Progress - Sunday!

So today we got in 240 armor descriptions. They appear on the tooltip/crafting window like this:

Gy6LdTS.png

Right now it&#8217;s using the helmet&#8217;s icon as it&#8217;s preview image, which is obviously rather low res. It&#8217;s going to actually display the helm on a mannequin instead. Also the area beneath the armor/warmth ratings will contain icons that indicate the special abilities attached to the armor.

Bartwe continued work on the crafting window, it now has a very nicely functioning search/filter tool:

23bbt0Z.png

The next thing to add is category buttons beneath the search bar.

• Kyren continues her work on deep engine features.
  • Omni has completed our book reading interface, though no screenshots of that at the moment because he&#8217;s spending weekend with family.
  • Our artists have been working on armor generators.
  • Armagon has completely finished up the glitch castle generator and is moving back to avian tombs to give them a little more flair.

Why is this still not added to the OP?
I posted a link to it at the top of the OP shortly after Jira posted it.

Probably because this isn't an OT. No real need for a special OP in a random new news thread.
Pretty much this. I'm trying to keep the OP clutter free so it's easy to keep up with any preorder/stretch goal updates, but I did feel it was very informative for someone who hadn't heard about the game which is why I added "What's Starbound? Click here to find out." to the top of the OP. I guess it was too small though cause no one noticed it so I've changed it to a banner.

Killthee

Another progress report.
  • Crafting window interface is complete.
  • They still need to write out the recipe files.
  • Artists are working on monster evolutions. Adult versions will appear in the wild, but only starter versions will be catchable. You'll have to raise them to their adult form if you want an adult version of the pet.
  • Kyren is working on NPC behavior while Omni is working on the UI/HUD.

Tiy said:
13th May Progress

Stop with the crafting window already! I know I know, another update on crafting. But these things take time to complete. But complete it we have!

7oPG9bP.png

We now have a fully polished crafting window. The icons below the schematics list filter recipes based on category and the little blocks of colour on the top left can filter recipes on rarity. It’s really nice to have this complete, now all I need to do is write a few thousand recipe files and crafting will be done!

Our artists have begun work on monster evolutions. You’ll only be able to catch baby creatures, so youll need to look after your creature if you’d like an adult. Though adults will appear in the wild.

PMJBTD6.png

Kyren has finished her big important technical change. There’s not much to show there from an end users perspective, but it’s very important. She’s now working on finishing up NPC behaviour. You can now only knock an NPC back with an attack if the attack depletes more than 40% of the NPC’s healthbar. We’re going to be focusing closely on exactly how NPCs spawn and their path finding behaviour.

Omni will soon be moving onto other UI / Hud style elements. We have an interesting nametag/visual chat system coming, as well as a way to highlight all interactive items on the screen.

Roll on tuesday (this doesn’t mean a beta will be released on tuesday!!!)

DeadNames

Banned
Just preordered. I don't know if it worked or not lol.

Cannot WAIT for this game. I'll post here regularly, as I'll be spending a lot of my time here now :p

kvothe

Another progress report.
  • Crafting window interface is complete.
  • They still need to write out the recipe files.
  • Artists are working on monster evolutions. Adult versions will appear in the wild, but only starter versions will be catchable. You'll have to raise them to their adult form if you want an adult version of the pet.
  • Kyren is working on NPC behavior while Omni is working on the UI/HUD.

I hope they make the system so you can keep the starter version if you'd prefer, rather than forcing them to evolve.

DeadNames

Banned
Hi guys,

So Omni is back from his family visit and had a chance to upload the codex system.

It still needs a little bit of a tweak, but here are some shots

codex1.png

Work has begun on translating codex entries into a format the game can read.

We’ve also been creating all the blueprint unlock item schematics, all 1300~ of them. Which took a rather large amount of time as you can imagine.

We spent some time experimenting with how to display these schematics in the toolbar:

test2.png

I’m not sure if we’re quite happy with any of them yet though. Maybe we’ll add a shader to the items icon so it’s just a white silhouette on a blueprint background. A bit more mystery until you actually use the blueprint to unlock the crafting schematic.

I also managed to catch some live comedy tonight, that was nice!

5/14 update! The Lusty Avian Maid... sound familiar? ;)

Top Bottom