• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbound |OT| Boundless...

Retro

fTF5XTj.png

7vSMfYj.png

nI6su7s.png

1LIFmck.png

YlSQDsZ.png

25HNgdP.png

YyUgrzo.png

For information on the GAF Server and Discord, please quote this post; it will appear at the top, in e-mail tags.​

Additional Information:
Here's a chart of the game's main story progression, courtesy of IceMarker;
tI2LlzF.png

Blizzard

Banned
It's been a long time. I basically stopped playing years ago so I'll get the full experience of 1.0. Hopefully performance is decent.

I'm thinking human or novakid for me.

Retro

Only ten hours to go!

Yep! Luckily, I'll be sleeping through a lot of it (it's 3:30am here!), but I'll be back in the morning to answer any questions and such.

In the meantime, the Starbounder Wiki is a good source of info, though some of it may be outdated, left over from Early Access.

Also, if the tone of the OT doesn't make any sense to you guys, it will when you start playing, I promise.

Good night!

I can't wait I'm set and ready to go, have bought a second copy of the game for my fiancée as we both love these type of games (we've put 100's of hours into terraria already). So tonight can't come soon enough

FiraB

Banned
Nice.

Have we found out yet if we can setup teleporters to be used to send people to anywhere we lay one down (so we can make a transport network). GAFworld is always fun to make but having our owns canvas people can visit is always cool to check out.

I haven't played since about a month after the initial early access release. Looking forward to getting back in and messing around, I'm sure a lot has changed.

VandalD

Nice OT, Retro. Been a long time coming.

Don't see any mention of controler suport: is it in yet?

Just loaded up the latest "unstable" build to check. My controller doesn't work and I don't see any options to make it work. So unless that's a last minute addition (which would be weird), no controller support yet.

Is it just me or is the text in the images in the OP kinda hard to read? can't really describe it.

Never played this but had some fun with terraria, maybe I will bite and buy this.

Grassy

Excellent OT. I put in about 30 hours at the end of 2013 and haven't played it since, so I'm looking forward to see how it's changed.

WaterAstro

OT looks a little weird with the name of the game at the bottom lol, but I dig the captain's log style.

It's hype time!

OmegaDL50

Is it very similar to Terraria? Should I play this game? :3

Sorta, the difference is unlike Terraria's single world, you can travel to different planets and solar systems.

Starbound also seems to have a better combat focus over Terraria with things like melee combos for example.

The premise kind of reminds me of kind of like a 2D No Man's Sky with base and structure building mechanics, however Starbound came first so....

You start on a starter planet and a dilapidated ship that needs to be repaired, and it's warp drive fixed. So you go down to the planet to gather resources and building materials so you can fix your ship to travel to other planets, recruit NPCs and build a ship crew. Eventually you get to the point you can get your Warp Drive in a functional state to travel to other Star Systems and explore the vastness of space in search of the reason why your home planet was destroyed and as well find new planet to settle and colonize to.

It's an excellent game. In fact it if wasn't for Starbound, I probably would not have found out about NMS either.

Unain

Excited for the 1.0 release.
Still don't like the floaty movement though, it's really hard to get some precise jumps on single blocks sometimes.

Omikaru

I always said I'd buy this once it left Early Access, but I won't be able to play for a few days. Will it be cheaper if I buy it on Early Access, or am I okay to wait a few days?

TheMan

so is the game actually considered feature-complete at this point, and if so, has it lived up to initial promise?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Nice OP! No screenshots of the game though?!

Don't worry, there will be plenty of screenshots filling this OT starting in about six hours!!!!

This will be the only game I play this weekend, been waiting a looonngggggg time for this!

Sarcasm

I always said I'd buy this once it left Early Access, but I won't be able to play for a few days. Will it be cheaper if I buy it on Early Access, or am I okay to wait a few days?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/211820/discussions/8/351660338708771509/

Izzabelle (MODERATOR) 12 Apr @ 1:59am said:
Patch 1.0 Coming July 22nd 2016
Since there seems to be a lot of thread traffic about 1.0, here are some of the details:

Starbound's Release Date is July 22nd, 2016

The game will launch at 10am PST / 6pm GMT

The next Stable patch will be 1.0 and Starbound will leave Early Access.

Characters WILL be wiped for 1.0 but won't be wiped again after that.

Starbound's price will NOT change when it leaves Early Access.

Starbound will be supported post-1.0 in the form of "Themed Updates"

Steam Workshop and Steam Multiplayer will be available for 1.0

Links:
http://playstarbound.com/final-approach-to-1-0/
http://playstarbound.com/starbound-release-announcement/
http://playstarbound.com/starbound-1-0-steam-workshop/

Keep an eye on: http://playstarbound.com/blog/ for further details

Should I wait to install Starbound til after the release? Or just install it now?

Retro

Just saw my wife off, gonna try to get a couple more hours of sleep, but wanted to answer some questions

Have we found out yet if we can setup teleporters to be used to send people to anywhere we lay one down (so we can make a transport network). GAFworld is always fun to make but having our owns canvas people can visit is always cool to check out.

I haven't seen any mentioned, but I'm sure someone will make a mod that supports that.

Is multiplayer still a pain to set up?

You can join players via Steam now, super easy.

Don't see any mention of controler suport: is it in yet?

From a recent AMA:

Starbound will have full controller support but we need to redo the GUI to work with it. So it won't be in for 1.0. We will likely be bringing controller support from console to PC. (source)

Does any part of this game actually happen in space? All i see is Teraria stuff but with a sci-fi touch.

It does indeed. In addition to a bunch of different planet types (desert, forest, ocean, etc.) there are moons (airless planets) and asteroid fields. You also get an expandable ship to travel between all of these planets to decorate / staff with a crew.

The developers have said they want to expand on the space element by having ship-to-ship battles and such, but they've been focused on getting the core game out.

Nice OP! No screenshots of the game though?

I'm was planning to add a screenshot section at the bottom, using pictures from our community. I can certainly throw some from the beta thread in there though in the meantime. =)

Is it just me or is the text in the images in the OP kinda hard to read? can't really describe it.

Very likely the typeface was a little cramped and needed to spread out a little. White-on-black is naturally harder to read as well. I went ahead and added some additional space between the letters, does it look any better now?

OT looks a little weird with the name of the game at the bottom lol, but I dig the captain's log style.

I wanted to try something different and build up to the logo. The "captain's log" approach actually has a reason, but you'll have to play the game to get it. =)

Got me beat!

2J3DleB.jpg

Is it very similar to Terraria? Should I play this game? :3

Very much like Terraria, but with lots of planets / biomes / enemies, a more linear storyline, colony building, agriculture, solid combat...

Price will remain unchanged.

so is the game actually considered feature-complete at this point, and if so, has it lived up to initial promise?

1.0 is considered Feature Complete. Based on what I've played of the current unstable build (which is basically 1.0), it delivers like some kind of UPS / FedEx monster.

Should I wait to install Starbound til after the release? Or just install it now?

Your current version of Starbound should upgrade via Steam when 1.0 hits. If you really want to start now though, you could install the unstable version and start playing just to learn the game so you have a leg up when it's "for real" later today.

Well this isn't an OT I was expecting to ever see.

Haven't touched this game or heard any news about it in awhile.

How much has changed since early access launch?

Skinpop

I wonder if I should even bother trying the game again. I haven't played it in a year maybe but so far it's been nothing but an awfully designed piece of crap.

this game excels at being a case against procedural generation.

elyetis

How much did it improve combat wise since the origine EA release ? it was really lacking compared to Terraria if my memory serve me right.

Retro

How much has changed since early access launch?

Too much to list. If you played it when it first went into Beta vs. now it's completely different in almost every way.

I wonder if I should even bother trying the game again. I haven't played it in a year maybe but so far it's been nothing but an awfully designed piece of crap.

this game excels at being a case against procedural generation.

Um.... okay. I mean, if you already bought it, the only cost to try it again is time and bandwidth spent downloading it again. If you were put off by the beta's terrain / biome generation, they've vastly improved that element.

How much did it improve combat wise since the origine EA release ? it was really lacking compared to Terraria if my memory serve me right.

There were two large combat updates while it was in beta, it feels a lot better now.

Raxious

damn, that's a lot of playtime compared to mine:

98Skn5V.png

bought it on 12 - 4 - 2013 xD

Just reinstalled it again, curious if the game is able to entertain me now. I know something was bothering me with it, but it's been so long I don't even remember what it was lol.

I have not played much since I have been waiting for it to come out of EA.

Is the game ok to play alone or should I grab some friends to play with?

Retro

I have not played much since I have been waiting for it to come out of EA.

Is the game ok to play alone or should I grab some friends to play with?

Alone is fine, but everything is better with friends. There will be a GAF server for multiplayer shenanigans as well.

Top Bottom