• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbucks got a new logo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGondo

Banned
badcrumble said:
Why does she keep getting closer? What is this leading up to? I'm scared :(
http://www.theonion.com/articles/starbucks-to-begin-sinister-phase-two-of-operation,416/

onion_news1024_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

The mermaid isn't the first thing I think of when I hear Starbucks, it isn't very memorable, but it could have been worse. But I hate coffee so I really don't care.

bud said:
is their coffee any good?

I make a lot of my own coffee (French press and espresso). Starbucks is really not bad, and often times is cheaper than coffee shops. One shop I was in had all these "friends don't let friends drink Starbucks" etc shit posters everywhere. They do make good coffee, but this one new hot coffee drink I got tasted the exact fucking same as something I'd had at Starbucks about a week earlier..............

edit:

AVclub said:
This company needs to die. There's no reason why people should be paying $6 for a cup of coffee in this economic environment.

Huh? I think the most I've paid was just about $5 for the largest size specialty drink in Manhattan. It's slightly under $5 here.

AVclub said:
This company needs to die. There's no reason why people should be paying $6 for a cup of coffee in this economic environment.

I pay 1.89 Canadian dollars (tax. included) for a delicious "Tall" cup of house blend coffee at Starbucks.

$6!!! Are you sure you are ordering coffee?

GavinGT

Banned
Chet Rippo said:
The mermaid isn't the first thing I think of when I hear Starbucks, it isn't very memorable

Exactly my thoughts. Without the name of the franchise, it's just a silly mermaid. I'd have rather they ditched the mermaid and just left the words with a white hole where the mermaid used to be.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
EricHasNoPull said:
I pay 1.89 Canadian dollars (tax. included) for a delicious "Tall" cup of house blend coffee at Starbucks.

$6!!! Are you sure you are ordering coffee?
Their brewed coffee is disgusting. Get a cafe latte.

GavinGT said:
I'd have rather they ditched the mermaid and just left the words with a white hole where the mermaid used to be.
I have a mug like this and it looks good.

ngower

I got fired for eating a protein plate that was about to go into the nightly markout. That is a crap place to work for. Loved my co-workers, company and my boss sucked.

Our store was one of the busiest in our region (greater Boston) yet we still got like $.17 raises.

I wouldn't exactly call their regular coffee "disgusting" you have to remember I grew up in small town Ontario, where there is a Tim Hortons every square kilometer ( 15 Timmies to be exact) since as long as I remember.

Switching to Starbucks from Tim Hortons recently is a fresh and tasty experience.

As for the Logo, just like someone said before me, I bet you the selling point for it was the single (green) color, they probably though it's more efficient and economical to not use two colors while printing each and every single cup.

and Just like MacDonalds and Nike and two dozen other brands, sometimes symbols are a lot more effective than text. Especially if you are very well established cooperation.

You can see the golden arches a lot further away and read it as "Macdonalds" than you will be able to see and read the actual word "Macdonalds" .. Guess they are slowly going for the same thing with the green mermaid.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
ngower said:
I got fired for eating a protein plate that was about to go into the nightly markout. That is a crap place to work for. Loved my co-workers, company and my boss sucked.

Our store was one of the busiest in our region (greater Boston) yet we still got like $.17 raises.
My sister worked for Starbucks (in Boston around Beacon Hill) and hated it. I've always gotten the sense that working for an independant coffee house would be a lot more tolerable than a Starbucks. Starbucks customers seem like such douches.

KingGondo

Banned
beelzebozo said:
god i love starbucks coffee.
Their coffee is like jet fuel. I had to wean myself off it once I quit working there.

It's supposedly something like 4x stronger than a normal cup of coffee, and their iced coffee is double brewed (read: 8X CAFFEINE POWER).

OH YEAHHHHH

WillyFive

What I don't get is that the mermaid isn't what people see in the old Starbucks logo, it's the green circle with Starbucks Coffee on it.

It feels like they marketed the wrong thing.

Alucrid said:
Who cares. You don't go to starbucks because of the label. Or do you...?

You would be amazed. A Starbucks cup is almost a fashion accessory for a lot of people.

Edit: And that's not a Mermaid, it's supposed to be a Siren. Not sure why they call it that since Sirens are supposed to be part bird.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Needs more gradients and reflections and fruity colours, if that's the direction their going in.

ngower

demon said:
My sister worked for Starbucks (in Boston around Beacon Hill) and hated it. I've always gotten the sense that working for an independant coffee house would be a lot more tolerable than a Starbucks. Starbucks customers seem like such douches.

It can be fun, though it also blows pee pee. Like I said, employees were awesome. The regular customers were great too, but there are so many douchebags that think they are the most important thing in the world. Starbucks is to the modern middle class what Biedermeier furniture was to the 19th century.

mcrae

ngower said:
It can be fun, though it also blows pee pee. Like I said, employees were awesome. The regular customers were great too, but there are so many douchebags that think they are the most important thing in the world. Starbucks is to the modern middle class what Biedermeier furniture was to the 19th century.

something that your average 20 somethings guy has never heard of 150 years later? :lol

okno

ngower said:

Yeah, I definitely had fun while I worked for Sbux, but the majority of the time is stressful and just plain awful. The company itself is extremely demanding in several aspects (especially when you climb to Shift Supervisor/Asst. Store Manager/Store Manager/District Manager, etc.), so to have to deal with all of the strict company guidelines while keeping a smile on your face and making sure every mother fucker who walks into your store, no matter how delightful or not they may, leaves happy does not make for a fun time. However, I was lucky and had awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, AWESOME coworkers and amazing managers. That made it bearable. However, the family vibe can fall apart rapidly as soon as someone leaves the store and somebody else replaces them. The regulars are also always a lot of fun to talk to and fuck around with. It all comes down to where your store is and who you work with, and that determines whether or not you'll have a positive experience or not.

And, yes, I realize that all of this can be said for most any company out there. I'm just sharing a very brief and condensed form of my experience with the company.

Long story short: It's a horrible experience, and I am so, so, so, SO happy I will never be working for them again.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
okno said:
Yeah, I definitely had fun while I worked for Sbux, but the majority of the time is stressful and just plain awful. The company itself is extremely demanding in several aspects (especially when you climb to Shift Supervisor/Asst. Store Manager/Store Manager/District Manager, etc.), so to have to deal with all of the strict company guidelines while keeping a smile on your face and making sure every mother fucker who walks into your store, no matter how delightful or not they may, leaves happy does not make for a fun time. However, I was lucky and had awesome, awesome, awesome, awesome, AWESOME coworkers and amazing managers. That made it bearable. However, the family vibe can fall apart rapidly as soon as someone leaves the store and somebody else replaces them. The regulars are also always a lot of fun to talk to and fuck around with. It all comes down to where your store is and who you work with, and that determines whether or not you'll have a positive experience or not.

And, yes, I realize that all of this can be said for most any company out there. I'm just sharing a very brief and condensed form of my experience with the company.

Long story short: It's a horrible experience, and I am so, so, so, SO happy I will never be working for them again.
Does...not...compute...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom