• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starbucks got a new logo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Chungus

ZzeFT.jpg

Manics said:
Why the fuck would a company take their name off a logo?
If they've reached a point where their widespread brand recognition allows them to remove it.

I tend to agree with those who believe the green outline and typeface are more recognizable than the siren, but I can't imagine this will confuse anyone.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
DeathbyVolcano said:
this is about the nerdiest and stupidest rage I've experienced here

I'll be knocking over a coffee bean basket in my local Starbucks as soon as these cups arrive.

Monocle

Too bad that by removing the frame and black background the siren looks like a snot monster floating in a featureless void. Terrible redesign. From now on I shall march into Starbucks with porcelain mug in hand.

DwPSY.jpg

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the starbucks near me has a code on the bathroom door.

some may scoff at this, but i appreciate the feeling of exclusivity.

v.i.pee

Monocle

beelzebozo said:
the starbucks near me has a code on the bathroom door.

some may scoff at this, but i appreciate the feeling of exclusivity.

v.i.pee
People like you have no consideration at all for voyeurs. How can I film you making poop when you lock yourself in a fucking vault?!

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Staccat0 said:
Blind taste tests supposedly.

could be a pepsi challenge thing, i.e., in small portions people prefer one thing, but when drinking an entire cup, they prefer another more balanced flavor.

not necessarily the case. but the pepsi challenge thing is an interesting example.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
beelzebozo said:
could be a pepsi challenge thing, i.e., in small portions people prefer one thing, but when drinking an entire cup, they prefer another more balanced flavor.

not necessarily the case. but the pepsi challenge thing is an interesting example.
could be. I like starbucks coffee, but I'm not gonna say I have a discerning pallette either.

I do know I did some work for a US Barista Championship event a few years ago and the attendees seemed to universally trash starbucks coffee and throw around the "char-bucks" meme

Anecdotal, but I don't find it hard to believe people would prefer another coffee without the branding and such... just saying.
Either way, I still order starbucks sometimes when I don't make my own because it's usually convenient.

Woffls

Now I've seen the logo up close, it has always been pretty awful. I'd only recognise it from the bit around the outside that says Starbucks. Honestly, if I'd not seen this thread, I wouldn't be able to tell you what the new logo was for.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
my palate sucks. i'll own up to it.

perhaps because of this, i find nothing offensive about that "burnt" flavor of starbucks coffee. in fact, it's one of the coffee's greatest assets, that to me, it's very distinct.

UraMallas

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Do you recognize these brands?

nike-swoosh-symbol.jpg

GAF logo talk is worse than the bad logos you talk about.
Those are a lot simpler, and therefore easier to remember and recognize, than the Starbucks logo but I see your point.

Aquavelvaman said:
Bring back the one with nipples

4984427752_9a794d7ffc_o.jpg

The original Starbucks in Seattle still has the one with nipples, saw it a few months ago when I was there for PAX. I guess the rest of America can't handle it.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
chaostrophy said:
The original Starbucks in Seattle still has the one with nipples, saw it a few months ago when I was there for PAX. I guess the rest of America can't handle it.

if you look at the statistics, use of creamer at this particular starbucks is significantly higher than other locations.

draw your own conclusions.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
So I guess all the money they set aside recently for actually learning how to brew a decent cup of joe went to this?

Why are so many people bothered by the removal of the name? It's not like they're going to remove the name from the front of the building and I'm sure the people who have the cups know where they got it from.

Monocle

Tkawsome said:
Why are so many people bothered by the removal of the name? It's not like they're going to remove the name from the front of the building and I'm sure the people who have the cups know where they got it from.
It's not just the removal of the name that's jarring, but the loss of a balancing graphical element. That's one of the reasons I oppose the new logo, at least.

sangreal

Tkawsome said:

I just feel like the old one looks like a seal of quality while the new one is a random picture of a woman carrying 2 fish

At least have a border or something

Monocle said:
It's not just the removal of the name that's jarring, but the loss of a balancing graphical element. That's one of the reasons I oppose the new logo, at least.

sangreal said:
I just feel like the old one looks like a seal of quality while the new one is a random picture of a woman carrying 2 fish

Good points. I also liked the old one more, I just thought the complaints about the removal of the name were a little funny.

I am not a coffee drinker but I am a tea drinker. Anyone who pays for tea at Starbucks is a moron. You're paying $3.00 for hot water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom