• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft Remastered confirmed [Summer 2017]. Original SC/BW to be free!

Phased

Looks great. Maintained the original while updating it. LAN support, everything people loved about the original just better.

This plus the original game being free, this is good stuff all around.

Miletius

I'm in. I still remember the day I bought the original Starcraft -- it was the first game I bought with my own money, saved up for it and agonized over the box choice (went with the Zerg in the end).

The remastered graphics look good to me. Clean, crisp, and scalable is what they were going for, I figure.

Im not sure what you expected. Honestly the low res nature of the old sprites leaves WAY too much to the imagination for everyone to be happy. Some people are never ever going to be pleased about the interpretation.

Its something that always comes up with these kinds of remasters.

It's not that it looks god awful, it just looks...off. Like look at the dark archon, it just doesn't seem right. I will say, thank fucking god they didn't just remake maps in SC2 and call it a day.

xanavi

where does the QR code go?

terran-bust-e0247dcce167c6840381dbf4e98387fd87634a28df88063be0ad67f9d3a33b388872c52dcba4a9ac66a596d87db77be7babcacce56d63e8ed2a72a43e2369249.png

I'll just stick with StarCraft: Mass Recall. I played AOEII HD for the first time and the game still looks dated, even if the gameplay is fun.

I would pay big bucks to see Warcraft get this treatment.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Many thoughts

- Good that they are keeping the original as a freebie

- OG is sooo old idk if anyone will ever be happy with the HD graphics as the sprites are sorta left up to imagining

- if it's a 1to1 gameplay wise I bet people outside of Korea might still with SC2 competitive wise

- I do wonder how long this nostalgia play will last as I just don't see RTS as a super huge genre anymore

Josh5890

I hope this is the beginning of many remakes from Blizzard. I loved all three of SC2's campaigns but I must confess
I never played through the first game's campaign

Tagyhag

Oh my fuck they kept the original art style, awesome!

Very cool to be giving out the classic for free, that's still perfectly playable as well.

Woorloog

Banned
I need it. And I need the impending sprite RTS renaissance (still in many ways more beautiful than 3D RTSes).

I want C&C, RA, Dune 2k, Tiberian Sun remasters.

Sprite-based RTSs have this clarity and lightness 3D games do not. It is a simple thing but it seems to elevate them somehow.

Sibylus

Banned

Sprite-based RTSs have this clarity and lightness 3D games do not. It is a simple thing but it seems to elevate them somehow.

I think it's down to the art direction not suffering by technical limitations nearly as much. AoE jumped to 3D with its 3rd iteration and suddenly everything was muddy, blocky, and cheap looking.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Not gonna happen as long as EA continues to ignore the remaster market like fools.

Woorloog

Banned
I think it's down to the art direction not suffering by technical limitations nearly as much. AoE jumped to 3D with its 3rd iteration and suddenly everything was muddy, blocky, and cheap looking.

Could be, but this does not explain how 3D strategy games feel.. heavy. It is like they're less responsive even with sufficiently powerful computer. No idea if it s the animations or what.

Doesn't which series but the 2D games just feel better.

Well, ignoring stuff like usually worse pathfinding. Dear overlord how terrible the Hydralisk, Goliath and Dragoon pathfinding in original Starcraft are...

Not gonna happen as long as EA continues to ignore the remaster market like fools.
I said i want, i didn't say i'm getting them :/

Hell, EA ignores whole C&C series as it is. Generals 2 looked pretty good but EA went and said nope. Fucking EA :/

Aside from artstyle differences this seems to hit all my expectations. Keeping the gameplay true to the original, increasing the viewable battlefield and sprites that scale with high resolutions. Good stuff Blizzard.

jtb

Banned
yes yes yesssss

way too many years of my childhood poured into BW.... only to be followed up a decade later with the steaming turd that is SC2

Re-recorded dialogue surely heralds a few changes in the voice cast, especially as Jack Ritschel (Zeratul, Edmund Duke) has since passed away. Some will be brought in line with the SC2 cast, I would expect.

Some of the remastered art (like the Hive) does look a little shiny, and a bit of a departure from the desaturated look that games like Factorio have managed to capture just fine in their 3D renders.

Sijil

Starcraft was the first game I bought with my own money as a kid, for my first PC ever and I absolutely loved every minute of it, especially the campaign and characters, this is amazing for me.

And I liked SC2 as well but not as much as 1.

Hopefully they're updating the unit portraits too.

Woorloog

Banned
Re-recorded dialogue surely heralds a few changes in the voice cast, especially as Jack Ritschel (Zeratul, Edmund Duke) has since passed away. Some will be brought in line with the SC2 cast, I would expect.

I would assume it is more like "remastered dialogue audio" rather than actual re-recording.
EDIT At least when it comes to dialogue. It is all just lumped in one sentence.

Top Bottom