• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft Remastered confirmed [Summer 2017]. Original SC/BW to be free!

Sölf

Now this. This is Everything I want for a WC2 and WC3 remake. Just updated graphics and some other tweaks, but nothing more.

I never really played the first Starcraft (got to the middle of the original Zerg Campaign), but good for everyone who loves this. :D

StayDead

Is there a way to play the original online with this release? I want to try it with a friend

There is. Interview says:

: BW and SC:R are fully compatible, so if someone doesn't like the remastered graphics can still play on the ladder using the free 1.18 against others with the hd version"

yay!

I don't like the remastered graphics too much, but maybe they'll grow on me!

The best/craziest news is that they aren't throwing the original away, but going to keep it updated as well.

2 decades later, still receiving updates AND still having official servers hosted... Someone needs to remind every other company of this every time they say they "have" to take down their servers on older games.

How can you guys not like SC2 and call yourselves StarCraft fans. The learning curve is insane but once you have it down you feel like Ender Wiggin.

Xater

Looks alright. Maybe I'll get it. I think it will depend on the price.

Edit: looks like there is Mac support OP just didn't mention it for some reason.

Lucumo

How can you guys not like SC2 and call yourselves StarCraft fans. The learning curve is insane but once you have it down you feel like Ender Wiggin.

Not everyone likes casualized games.

2 decades later, still receiving updates AND still having official servers hosted... Someone needs to remind every other company of this every time they say they "have" to take down their servers on older games.
After years of doing nothing (not like anything is really needed, the community took care of it - we also use our own servers). Also, not every other company has World of Warcraft.

Nozem

While I like the idea of a remaster, I don't really look forward to wrestling with the archaic ui and terrible pathfinding.

StayDead

Looking at all the videos I think it looks better than how I maybe first judged it. I'll need to see new full games of it to fully know if I'll like it or not, but still I can play on the normal client so it's all good!

I really hope if they do add modern obs features that tournaments don't use them all, because one problem I always had with SC2 was there was never any tension as the observer would show literally every detail about the game.

I've been craving playing an RTS recently because Endless Legend and Civ 5 haven't been scratching my strategy itch. Being able to finally beat SC's campaign will hopefully be exactly what I'm looking for. I was strongly considering buying SC2 but now I'm definitely gonna wait.

Personally I've always been more of a Command & Conquer fan but we all know that's not gonna happen any time soon.

mike4001_

The best/craziest news is that they aren't throwing the original away, but going to keep it updated as well.

When another company has a game which is still played extensively up to this date then you can tell them ;-)

Monocle

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggghhhh!

While I like the idea of a remaster, I don't really look forward to wrestling with the archaic ui and terrible pathfinding.
Your UI is archaic and your mother has atrocious pathfinding.

StayDead

Will there be esports support for SC:R in the future? E.g. observer tools like gameheart, zoom out.

We are adding a few features to improve the experience for viewers at home and Observer slots in game lobbies.

Feedback from the shoutcasters was to temper our enthusiasm for data though. They believe the excitement of Brood War is often in the discovery of what is about to happen. We’ll introduce a few new key features and gauge feedback. As usual, we’ll err on the side of caution with change.

Blizzard, I love you. Thank you so much.

vall03

Sorry if this has been asked already and I tried searching, but do we know the system requirements? Here's hoping that its on the reasonable side so that my laptop can run it.

Sorry if this has been asked already and I tried searching, but do we know the system requirements? Here's hoping that its on the reasonable side so that my laptop can run it.

All they're doing is adding HD sprites to the original game so if you have a computer from this decade you'll probably be able to run it just fine.

Stevey

Hype

54W1Mga.gif

Moff

I can't say I am as convinced as most here.

High res sprites of old games tend to look worse than original pixel sprites in my experience, unless they add some more sprites for the animations.

but personally, I really loved the SC2 graphics

Holy fuck!

Now THAT is how you remaster. I personally wasn't even that SC1 obsessive sort of player that kept lamenting about SC2's gameplay. Like, I vastly prefer SC2 in that regard but still, there's been a lot of people who wanted a remaster with intact gameplay and updated graphics. This certainly delivers on that and some more.

edit:

I'm legit surprised that some people are disappointed in the updated visuals. I mean, I suppose here and there a tad bit of grittiness or so got lost, but it looks miles better. SC1 has always been a pixelated mess and and that's fricking ugly. Not like SC1 was really one of those pixelart games either when the sprites where generated from 3D models (and maybe touched up by hand, dunno).

Can't wait for Diablo 2 to retrieve a similar remaster, too, so that that even bigger pixel mess becomes playable \o/

MrT-Tar

I'm ashamed to say as a gamer that I've nevet played Starcraft. Will definitely get both the original and the remaster.

My girlfriend is Korean, I'm sure she'll show me the ropes. Heading off to Seoul for the first time on 31 May, so will play the original before then.

PantsuJo

HOLY SHIT FUCKING YES

THANK YOU BASED BLIZZARD

RIGHT IN MY VEINS, HURRY UP, GIMME GIMMEEEE.

Ok, calm down.

YEEES
E
E
E
S

lazygecko

I honestly don't like this. The biggest problem by far is that they retained the same choppy feel of the animations that makes it feel like the game is running at a low framerate. This has always been my biggest pet peeve with the original Starcraft, and when juxtaposed against the new high res art it actually makes the problem even worse.

Just remaking the first game in the SC2 engine would have been far better.

TheContact

Holy fuck this is awesome. I played through sc/bw again before the last exp for sc2. Such a great game. I spent so many hours on that game back in the day. I still remember when launching sc I would hit M then E on the keyboard to get right into battle net.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I don't get the point of OG getting update and being free when we haven't heard if REmaster is a purchase folks have to make.

It'll be. Why else would they make the original version free?

Kuni

Oh very nice. Will check this out. I remember playing the original when I were but a wee lad.

I really like the fact they've kept the original code and animations and stuff but just updated the graphics. A proper remaster.

Please do this for Warcraft I and II Blizzard!

TheContact

It'll be. Why else would they make the original version free?

Would be nice if people owned the game already if they gave us the remaster, made the original free, and charged anyone who didn't have the game to upgrade. Kinda like how skyrim handled their remaster. (Except they didn't make their original free)

Either way, I'll pay for it. Can't imagine it will be more than $20

Revised Dialogue and Audio (The original soundtrack and dialogue, re-recorded and rejuvenated)

I really don't like the sound of that. If unit lines are different, then fine...but, don't touch the campaign dialogue and don't touch the hero units. If you do, then give us the option for the original voice audio.

Other than that, it's cool to see this finally confirmed!

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I really don't like the sound of that. If unit lines are different, then fine...but, don't touch the campaign dialogue and don't touch the hero units. If you do, then give us the option for the original voice audio.

Other than that, it's cool to see this finally confirmed!

Yeah I'm like why who asked for that. Just make update existing unit portraits for HD and leave it at that.

A lot of voice acting I SC2 was comparitively poor somehow.

Mandoric

Banned
On a personal level, can't help but be disappointed in this. I've never been able to get into StarCraft since it's so dated. I'd hoped this would be a modern re-working of the concept a la REMake, building on the foundations of the original but modernizing it for newcomers. Instead they've very clearly targeted this at the existing esports devotees. Which is great, that's a nice bone to throw a devoted fanbase and keep them hooked for a few more years. But it does nothing for people like me looking to get into the series for the first time.

I hope if they remaster Diablo 2 (a childhood favorite of mine) they take some risks and give it a complete overhaul - given that it doesn't have the same slavishly devoted Korean esports scene, maybe they'll feel they can take a little more liberty. Not counting on it though, since they seem to have decided on this minimalist remastering approach across all the franchises.

I feel the opposite. I don't really feel that game design elements can be dated in the sense of obsolescence as opposed to that of revolving fashions or competitive solved-ness, and I welcome the idea of giving games which still aren't solved a fresh coat of paint and renewed commercial hype without changing how they actually play.

I also really like the idea of backdooring F2P's huge playerbase advantage into an existing title by moving it to free with an optional glorified skin pack.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Considering how they've been designing their games recently I'm surprised this is just a graphical upgrade.

Lord Phol

I think I actually prefer the originals visuals to this, or even the SC2 mod for the matter. SC2 did a lot of things wrong with the characters, story and voice acting but the gameplay and visuals were definite improvements over the orignal IMO. Being able to replay the old campaigns with the SC2 visuals felt like the perfect remaster/remake already. So this does very little for me, but glad for the people that will enjoy it.

On a personal level, can't help but be disappointed in this. I've never been able to get into StarCraft since it's so dated.

lol, dated. This isnt console games, where in one gen you have a controller with a dpad and two buttons and games play and are designed a certain way. Then another gen you have a controller with a single stick and some buttons and games play entirely differently. Then another gen you have twin sticks and games again suffer new design and again play differently. This is where the term "aged games" comes from on this forum. PC games use the same input tool for 30 years. They dont "age". Well, most of them dont. RTS games have the same structure and play the same since Command&Conquer in 1995. If you're having troubles with Starcraft, its all you, not the game.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lol, dated. This isnt console games, where in one gen you have a controller with a dpad and two buttons and games play and are designed a certain way. Then another gen you have a controller with a single stick and some buttons and games play entirely differently. Then another gen you have twin sticks and games again suffer new design and again play differently. This is where the term "aged games" comes from on this forum. PC games use the same input tool for 30 years. They dont "age". Well, most of them dont. RTS games have the same structure and play the same since Command&Conquer in 1995. If you're having troubles with Starcraft, its all you, not the game.

Er-PC games can definitely age, same control scheme or not.

Nozem

This is such bullshit. The ui and pathfinding in Broodwar have aged terribly. Has nothing to do with control schemes.

This is such bullshit. The ui and pathfinding in Broodwar have aged terribly. Has nothing to do with control schemes.

Pathfinding is the age old problem RTS games always have and Starcraft probably did it the best out of the 90's games. I even have a local magazine review from back then where they were praising it compared to other titles back then. UI is classic, many other games use it. If by UI you mean how you can only select 12 units or train 5 units at a time, thats not UI, thats some of the games dumb design decisions that Blizzard employed, they were bad then and bad now. Thats how the game was made. We always had to play the game around this shit. The way "dated" is thrown around seems as if its some unplayable piece of shit that you cant spend 5 minutes in before quitting in disgust. Which is completely false. The games playability is immense. Same as with most RTS games.

Top Bottom