• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starcraft Remastered confirmed [Summer 2017]. Original SC/BW to be free!

HF2014

Diablo and Diablo II remastered, please!

After seeing what they did with D3 with D1, i really just want them to concentrate their effort on D2. I seriously dont care honestly about D1, even if it was a great game at that time. It just didnt aged well.

FyreWulff

That's really cool that it's cross compatible with the original release. I wonder if it's a translation shim or if the HD version is running as a metaclient over the original game.

edit: oh apparently you can toggle so yeah metaclient

woopWOOP

Ohh, original ones for free?
That might actually get me and my old crew back to play a bunch of crazy FFA games, like old times.

After seeing what they did with D3 with D1, i really just want them to concentrate their effort on D2. I seriously dont care honestly about D1, even if it was a great game at that time. It just didnt aged well.
Blasphemy! I just replayed Diablo 1 with a friend last year on PC, and it was a damn good time.

Corsick

The more I'm reading up on this remaster the more I'm in awe. It's just... perfect. They did everything right with this, and I will be beyond ecstatic if it ends up reviving the Brood War online community to some extent.

F2P Brood War with an optional HD remaster. Modern online accouterments. Importing over your classic Battle.net account and history. Bringing back chat channels. UMS and replays working the same as before. Perfectly redone HD 2D art that can be zoomed in on. Support for widescreen and 4K. And on and on...

It's unbelievable. Thank you, Blizzard.
Essentially my thoughts. It's incredible how much respect they've shown and how they nailed this remaster. Make it pretty without changing how it plays to the core audience.

StarCraft 2 is amazing but still can't wait to get my hands on this.

Diablo 2 remaster please. (Please let hardcore mode be unlocked from the beginning, though)

Syf

Banned
The more I'm reading up on this remaster the more I'm in awe. It's just... perfect. They did everything right with this, and I will be beyond ecstatic if it ends up reviving the Brood War online community to some extent.

F2P Brood War with an optional HD remaster. Modern online accouterments. Importing over your classic Battle.net account and history. Bringing back chat channels. UMS and replays working the same as before. Perfectly redone HD 2D art that can be zoomed in on. Support for widescreen and 4K. And on and on...

It's unbelievable. Thank you, Blizzard.
Yeah, I agree. I think they completely nailed this. Can't wait to get going with it.

Skab

https://twitter.com/day9tv/status/846062476303085568

day9tv said:
I wake up and StarCraft Remastered is still real \o/. No way I'm not doin' some intro video series of how to play it properly. CANNOT WAIT

Return of the Daily?

Couldn't disagree more. D1 is still a great experience today.

EmiPrime

I will be so happy if this revives the foreigner SC scene and we get something resembling the SC2 WOL days (let me dream).

Was excited until I saw 'rerecorded audio'.
Please Blizzard, for the love of all that's heavenly, at least let us play with the original sound and music.

grumpy

I hope that the classic versions of SC + BW are integrated in some capacity with the battle.net client Blizzard app.

Diablo 2 next, please. I'd pay full price for a fully-functional, HD port of that.

Finally my elementary school days can come back to me! I never got into Starcraft as a kid, but my friend's parents were okay letting my friend play Starcraft even with the M rating, So every couple of weeks or so, I would go over to my friend's house and watch him play Starcraft and I was astounded with the cutscenes and the cinematic storytelling through the main campaign. I tried to get into Starcraft II, but because the story was continuing from SC 1, and it was being summarized through the installation process, I could never get into it.

Hopefully the Remaster can get me to enjoy the SC universe properly and make me understand the story alot better than if I just jumped in from SC II.

Long time rumor and it finally becomes confirmed; one of the industries worst kept secrets for sure.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Any voice/music clips yet?

Voice especially is my biggest worry. The original audio is such a huge part of the game.

Woorloog

Banned
Any voice/music clips yet?

Voice especially is my biggest worry. The original audio is such a huge part of the game.
It was just revealed, nothing more yet.
No new content ?

It is a remaster. And Halo Anniversary type to boot, just a new graphics (and sound?) and UI layer over the old.

Though apparently it will have automated matchmaking, which is a new thing.

EDIT Now that i think of this, i can't recall remasters or even remakes getting much new content if any. Presumably projects like this are either done with small team and budget (making adding new content difficult) or if it is a remake, it takes so much work in itself that adding more content is not really an option.

It is a remaster. And Halo Anniversary type to boot, just a new graphics (and sound?) and UI layer over the old.

Though apparently it will have automated matchmaking, which is a new thing.

EDIT Now that i think of this, i can't recall remasters or even remakes getting much new content if any. Presumably projects like this are either done with small team and budget (making adding new content difficult) or if it is a remake, it takes so much work in itself that adding more content is not really an option.

Halo Anniversary got modifiers (skulls), some tweaks on the libarian part and cutscenes via terminals.

I am happy Latin America is gonna get its own language support but I am not expecting Voice acting

It's nice that they are updating an old game for modern without fucking up the gfx but the gameplay is not something I'd play again, especially the whole 12 unit max selection and many control groups to manage. I'm actually looking forward to hoping UMS gets a boost from this though because that's where I will enjoy the game.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo Anniversary got modifiers (skulls), some tweaks on the libarian part and cutscenes via terminals.

The Library is easier to navigate in new graphics mode thanks to several visual aids but is otherwise unmodified from the original. As for the other changes, i barely count them as new content for they're so minor things.

SC:R seems to have roughly equal amount of new content: Automated matchmaking system, comic book interludes (replacing briefings? In addition to them? Unclear as of yet).

Honestly a bit more than i expected. I would not have been surprised if the game were stripped down version but fortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

This is all great news for me! They totally got me with not showing the widescreen until later in the trailer. I was literally thinking, "This looks great, but are they really not adding widescreen?"

Also pumped about the originals being free, as they're literally the only two games on "Blizzard" (ugh) that I don't own, save WoW expansions.

I'm a little nervous about the motion comics replacing the original CG videos though. I get it's a budget thing, but I really would've rather seen the movies remade. I hope they include an option to play the originals instead, at least.

I disagree, I think D1 aged very well. All they really need to do, gameplay-wise, is add a run button and I'd be satisfied. I think that game still has one of the best atmospheres and soundtracks of all time.

Miletius

This is all great news for me! They totally got me with not showing the widescreen until later in the trailer. I was literally thinking, "This looks great, but are they really not adding widescreen?"

Also pumped about the originals being free, as they're literally the only two games on "Blizzard" (ugh) that I don't own, save WoW expansions.

I'm a little nervous about the motion comics replacing the original CG videos though. I get it's a budget thing, but I really would've rather seen the movies remade. I hope they include an option to play the originals instead, at least.

I disagree, I think D1 aged very well. All they really need to do, gameplay-wise, is add a run button and I'd be satisfied. I think that game still has one of the best atmospheres and soundtracks of all time.

Agreed. They need to do D1 at some point. It's still a fantastic game and one that plays really well. The D3 version was pretty um, not great, but otherwise...

Realistically, I think we are going to see D2 and War 3 though. I think the d1 in d3 was about all we will get in the near future. They said they don't want to do War1 and War 2, which is a shame because War 1 really needs it and War 2 is still fantastic if a bit simple for modern day RTSes. War 2 also has something like 30+ single player missions if I remember correctly with Beyond the Dark Portal.

Just had the trailer recommended to me on youtube. I've never actually invested time in an RTS (played a couple briefly) so I might as well start with a classic. And I assume that it will run okay on my shitty PC. I look forward to it.

Please, bring all the canon campaigns together in one

SC: Episodes 1, 2, 3
BW: Epsiodes 4, 5, 6
Enslavers: I and II
Precursor
Ressurrection IV
Deception
Mercenaries II

Dreavus

Hi-resolution Zerg buildings are kind of freaking me out in a strange 90's CG kind of way. What the fuck.

That aside, this is awesome. It hasn't been quite long enough for me to go through the campaign again, but there's no reason to not play around with this when it releases.

Tonyx

I loved SC1 and played quite for a bit.

I am happy that Blizzard decided to show the due respect to this masterpiece yet.. I don't see myself going back to playing it.

Anyways.. Kudos to blizzard for keeping the game the same.

NewGame

Banned
MY LIFE FOR AIUR

Originals going free is great. Going to see if I can get a LAN going with some friends

3v3 BGH... It's been so long...

Will they update the controls I hope? It may be blasphemy to some I really preferred the grouping options and the like with SC2, just made PLAYING the game easier.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
They will probably destroy custom games, with a SC2 custom system.

I really hope not, and to be honest I don't expect them to. I think they recognize that the custom game situation in SC2 was very lackluster compared to SC1 and don't want to mess with what made the original so appealing in that regard.

Man was Starcraft 2 that bad in comparison?

I don't think it was bad at all, it just wasn't Starcraft 1, which is pretty sort of an untouchable pinnacle in a lot of people's minds. Looking back at it, it was probably an impossible task to release a game that would surpass the original or fully satisfy the die-hard fans.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Eh, that's neat I guess. Spending more than a thousand hours with it in high school tho, I just don't have that burning desire to return to it.

AmFreak

I really hope not, and to be honest I don't expect them to. I think they recognize that the custom game situation in SC2 was very lackluster compared to SC1 and don't want to mess with what made the original so appealing in that regard.
Well it's Blizzard and this doesn't sound good:
Added Popular Maps to streamline finding games or game types

Top Bottom