• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

ShinZed

Fishing becomes a lot easier as your level goes up, the size of the green bar increases. Plus you can get a rod that can use lures. The fisherman guy will come and talk to you when you're elegible to buy it.

Fishing becomes a lot easier as your level goes up, the size of the green bar increases. Plus you can get a rod that can use lures. The fisherman guy will come and talk to you when you're elegible to buy it.

Thanks. I'll probably do some more fishing in Winter aside from changing the layout of my farm and readying it for the new crops.

Scrawnton

So the Switch version was submitted a couple weeks ago right? The devs have been quiet since then so maybe we will get some surprise news today during the direct?

So the Switch version was submitted a couple weeks ago right? The devs have been quiet since then so maybe we will get some surprise news today during the direct?

Yes, but I believe they deliberately aren't talking about it until they've got confirmed news to share.

Does this game go on indefinitely or does the story stop at some point?

I believe I read that it goes on indefinitely.

Is fishing also affected by your luck on the day? I tried fishing maybe 15 times last night on the beach and the lake south of Marnie's ranch, and in probably 10 of those all I got was trash or newspapers.

I've upgraded to gold pickaxe and my watering can is next. Just in the beginning of Winter now. I don't want to spend too much of my money though as I have ~35k for a few tool upgrades, a farm upgrade and I want a good chunk of that left over to spend on crops when Spring rolls around.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Is fishing also affected by your luck on the day? I tried fishing maybe 15 times last night on the beach and the lake south of Marnie's ranch, and in probably 10 of those all I got was trash or newspapers.

I've upgraded to gold pickaxe and my watering can is next. Just in the beginning of Winter now. I don't want to spend too much of my money though as I have ~35k for a few tool upgrades, a farm upgrade and I want a good chunk of that left over to spend on crops when Spring rolls around.
Rule of thumb: If you want to do anything outside of farming, do it on a lucky day. (Mining, Fishing,...)

Joey Ravn

Banned
Rule of thumb: If you want to do anything outside of farming, do it on a lucky day. (Mining, Fishing,...)

Does it also affect Journey of the Prairie King? If so, how?

I'm going for the Platinum and beating the minigame without losing a life was relatively easy on PC, but if I can somehow cut the grind a bit more with a good luck day, that'd be great!

TheKeyPit

Banned
Does it also affect Journey of the Prairie King? If so, how?

I'm going for the Platinum and beating the minigame without losing a life was relatively easy on PC, but if I can somehow cut the grind a bit more with a good luck day, that'd be great!
Conflicting reports on that one. Some would say yes.

Relatively easy!?

I can't even beat the game, let alone without dying.
That trophy sucks, because you could grind for hundreds of hours for the rest of the trophies and still not have the plat because you're crap at an arcade shooter that has no bearing on the rest of the game, annoying.

is there a better crop to plant? I´m in my first summer going with corn and other ones that give more that dont die out after first crop

Blueberry is the best common crop for summer. There are better ones but they're harder and/or much more expensive to acquire. The below crops will also keep producing fruit every few days after their first harvest and do very good returns overall.

Strawberry in Spring
Blueberry in Summer
Cranberry in Fall

Although I would recommend growing a little of everything for the Community Centre.

Gutted we didn't hear anything!

I assume this is about the Switch version:

LNYMPCu.png

Retro

TLDR: "Soon"

Tiy said:
Hello,

Realistically we're trying to get it to everyone as soon as we can, there are a few things involved in that process. First the game has to pass through lot check, a process that is out of our hands and essentially takes as long as it takes. Second, we have to ensure we get a release slot agreement from all parties involved.

There are two ways to do this. The normal way is to decide on the release slot first, way in advance (ideally a date you won't possibly miss, so you can ensure it happens.) Of course once you're done with bug fixing, lot check, updates, etc etc you pretty much have to stick to that date, even if you finish early. That could just result in the game sitting unreleased whilst completely checked and finished for some time.

The other way is to get all that stuff done first, then announce the next available release window. To ensure we get it out as quickly as is feasible. We opted for that option, and in the mean time I'm sharing all the info I get and am allowed to share.

So far lotcheck is looking really good, nothing has come up that needs fixing. Does that mean it absolutely won't? No, because otherwise we'd be picking a release window already. But it's a very good sign and that's all I was trying to convey to people, as part of my promise to keep everyone up to date.

In terms of release window, there are so many people involved in that decision that I couldn't really say. As soon as I have that information though, you guys will know.

Apologies for lack of response yesterday, it was my Birthday, I was busy celebrating. I hope this answers the question. If you have any others I'll continue to share any information I have.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewVal..._switch_news/dn2y0a2/?st=j7nk6pdy&sh=6ef26043

Making good progress with the Community Centre. I've fully finished one room and I'm nearly there with 2 others. I want to repair the bridge as I assume that will allow me access to the desert and the Skull Cavern. Is there anything you can do with old weapons? I can put them in the vegetable bin outside my house to sell, but I can't seem to do anything else with them either. Not going to be going back to use weaker weapons.

I've got a fence spaced out in front of my house with a scarecrow in the centre, growing a few winter crops but mostly gearing up for Spring. I'm also clearing out trees in the top left corner of my farm as I want to plant an orchard and maybe a pig barn as well when I get a bit more money. Also, had a meteor crash down on my farm the other day, which was a neat little random event.

Hyoukokun

Making good progress with the Community Centre. I've fully finished one room and I'm nearly there with 2 others. I want to repair the bridge as I assume that will allow me access to the desert and the Skull Cavern. Is there anything you can do with old weapons? I can put them in the vegetable bin outside my house to sell, but I can't seem to do anything else with them either. Not going to be going back to use weaker weapons.

I've got a fence spaced out in front of my house with a scarecrow in the centre, growing a few winter crops but mostly gearing up for Spring. I'm also clearing out trees in the top left corner of my farm as I want to plant an orchard and maybe a pig barn as well when I get a bit more money. Also, had a meteor crash down on my farm the other day, which was a neat little random event.

Regarding the bridge,
you assume wrong; the bridge is for something else. There's another community center room you should be paying attention to if you want to get to the desert. I think that Penny will occasionally drop hints about it.

Old weapons and armor can be sold at the adventurer's guild to the right of the mines. Not much to do with them outside of that. The adventurer's guild will also buy monster parts, though you generally probably want to hold on to those (they're pretty much all useful crafting components).

I broke down waiting for the Switch version and jumped back into the PC version. Found my first Ancient Seed in Spring, and my second in Summer before the first one even had time to grow. Now I'm just stockpiling the fruit until I can get a seed maker.

Regarding the bridge,
you assume wrong; the bridge is for something else. There's another community center room you should be paying attention to if you want to get to the desert. I think that Penny will occasionally drop hints about it.

Old weapons and armor can be sold at the adventurer's guild to the right of the mines. Not much to do with them outside of that. The adventurer's guild will also buy monster parts, though you generally probably want to hold on to those (they're pretty much all useful crafting components).

I broke down waiting for the Switch version and jumped back into the PC version. Found my first Ancient Seed in Spring, and my second in Summer before the first one even had time to grow. Now I'm just stockpiling the fruit until I can get a seed maker.

Thanks for the tips - I probably have a good 6 or 8 weapons to sell by now, so I'll sell them at the adventure guild. Yeah, to begin with I sold everything, but recently I've just been hanging on to pretty much all the stuff I've gathered. Between the Community Centre and crafting I've come to realise that even useless-looking stuff probably will come in necessary for something later on.

Got Leah, Emily, Abigail and Penny to 8 hearts... either going to pursue Abigail or Leah I think.

They've been at 8 hearts for ages though, is there anything special you have to do to reach 9/10?

Retro

I got the ancient(?) Seed from Gunter, when should I plant it? Also, are there more worms in winter or are they just easier to spot? .

Preferably in your greenhouse, since they'll produce fruit every 7 days forever without having to be replanted. If that's not an option, the first of spring will ensure maximum yield.

Worms are just easier to spot in the winter.

Retro

Uh, so now Leah, Abigail, Penny and Emily are all my girlfriend. Is this gonna get me in trouble?! 😕

Nah, in fact that's one way to unlock 10 hearts with all of the marriage candidates. You can only marry one though, Stardew Valley isn't in Utah.

Kyonashi

Long shot and if anyone knows a better place to ask please let me know - but don't suppose anyone is interested in trading a gifted Steam copy of this for a £10 eShop credit?

I've had it sat in my gifts unredeemed for ages but now I'd much rather play the Switch version...

Persona7

Banned
Starting my new playthrough where the main character is Shrek tending to his swamp while trying to keep out of the townsfolks eye.

Ok, finally think I'm ready to jump in to Stardew and I have a few questions...

1) I was going to buy this on PS4 back in the day, but there was some nasty PS4 Pro compatibility issue, is this still a thing to be worried about?

2) Are there any differences between the PS4 or Switch versions of the game? I know its not a graphical powerhouse, but does the PS4 version "run" better? Portability doesn't mean much to me to me, but might want to buy this on Switch if the versions are identical.

3) I've never played a Harvest Moon or similar type of game, is this a game I should go in blind? Or do you recommend looking up some beginners guides or some other resources so I'm not just sucking/wasting my time doing pointless stuff.

Thanks!

Retro

Ok, finally think I'm ready to jump in to Stardew and I have a few questions...

1) I was going to buy this on PS4 back in the day, but there was some nasty PS4 Pro compatibility issue, is this still a thing to be worried about?

2) Are there any differences between the PS4 or Switch versions of the game? I know its not a graphical powerhouse, but does the PS4 version "run" better? Portability doesn't mean much to me to me, but might want to buy this on Switch if the versions are identical.

3) I've never played a Harvest Moon or similar type of game, is this a game I should go in blind? Or do you recommend looking up some beginners guides or some other resources so I'm not just sucking/wasting my time doing pointless stuff.

Thanks!

1. I haven't played it on PS4 myself, but from what I've heard it's an OS-related problem on Sony's end that Stardew Valley just happens to trigger. If you don't put the game into sleep mode supposedly it's fine, but that's just what I've read in the thread here so your millage may vary.

2. I haven't played it on Switch either yet, but I can't imagine a game like this has any performance issues other than a few launch bugs that are in the process of getting patched out. People seem really pleased with the Switch version.

3. Go in blind, take your time; games like Stardew Valley and Harvest Moon are about enjoying the simple life at a slightly frantic pace (don't let the short days and huge number of things to do scare you off, you have time to do everything). A good game of Stardew Valley is both relaxing in a zen-like way (all of your tasks are clear, immediate and easily accomplished) and hopelessly addictive (don't be surprised if you're playing "just one more day" all night). There's no way to lose and nothing you can miss that can't be repeated again later without penalties.

If you decide you want to use the Wiki, however, that's fine too; this is a game where the goal is to just relax and have fun, some people like just running around making a little farm, some people enjoy making a super profitable farm. Some people farm just enough to get through the game and spend all of their time fishing or socializing with the NPCs or what-have-you. Everything is connected though, so if you decide to do everything, you can't really go wrong either.

Giever

Does anyone know of any mods to make more items stack? I understand it isn't really workable for most produce and stuff with quality differences, but things like tappers, casks, chests, etc.? For whatever reason the game allows crab pots to stack but barely anything else (even though tons of items are identical and should be fine to stack).

G-Bus

Banned
Just picked this up as a side game to putt around in when im tired of shooting and or killing things.

I've gone in kind of blind. Don't have much experience with harvest moon and I've only seen/read a handful of things with regards to this game.

Enjoying it so far. About a week in. Felt myself getting more and more overwhelmed, especially after reading a few things online. I had no idea there are so many things to do!

Nice to see there's no rush and many ways to approach how you play.

Manus

So after 100 hours played on this game and I can't get enough. This is my go to game for relaxing while gaming. Nothing better than waking up and having morning coffee while cranking out a few days in this game. I have recommended this game to so many people best $15 you can spend.

Still blown away one person made this game.

So after 100 hours played on this game and I can't get enough. This is my go to game for relaxing while gaming. Nothing better than waking up and having morning coffee while cranking out a few days in this game. I have recommended this game to so many people best $15 you can spend.

Still blown away one person made this game.

Same! Just coming up to 100 hours, I also play while I have my coffee in the morning, even though it means I leave the house a little later than planned some days.
This is also my relaxation game, it's helped me through some stressful times recently.

Top Bottom