• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield's pronoun-removal mod has been banned by NexusMods, site confirms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
NexusMods has banned Starfield mods that permitted players to removed pronoun options from the game, the website confirmed after user reports.

Nexus says that whilst the mod's removal was "not a political statement or an alignment to one side or the other in the culture war", it reserved the right "not to host" the mod on its platform.

"Hosting this mod was not for us and it is certainly within our rights not to host content on our platform,"

NexusMods told 404 Media.

"It's not a 'political statement' or an 'alignment to one side or the other in the culture war'. We stand for diversity and inclusion in our community and the removal of diversity, while appealing to many, does not promote a positive modding community."

"A reinforcement that this has been the best course of action has been some of the hatred, vitriol and threats of violence coming from a very, very small minority of the community. Frankly, we are not sad to see them go."

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
not a political statement
Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Deft Beck

PR speak aside, this was predictable.

If more AAA games are going to include pronoun choices, then make gender identity mechanically meaningful beyond the character creator. I think the visceral reaction isn't warranted when it provides an interesting worldbuilding and narrative opportunity.

Guilty_AI

PR speak aside, this was predictable.

If more AAA games are going to include pronoun choices, then make gender identity mechanically meaningful beyond the character creator. I think the visceral reaction isn't warranted when it provides an interesting worldbuilding and narrative opportunity.
Thats too much effort for an option that exists for no other purpose than social media good-boy points.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
"Why are you so upset? It's just pronouns, they don't matter."
"Cool, we'll remove the option with a totally optional mod then."
"Like fuck you will!"

Nexus Mods can host, or not host, whatever it wants, and it should have the freedom to do so. But attempting to present themselves as an objective and impartial third party is fucking laughable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Kinda hard since it's been removed but you can see the title of the mod in your browser tab as PronounsEnhanced. You can search for it on google and find the link.

OTG1ySn.jpg

I made a mental note of it when I saw it while searching for new mods, kinda surprised it was removed TBH.
I bet it was removed because there were words like "Attack Helicopter." ;)

Guilty_AI

Kinda hard since it's been removed but you can see the title of the mod in your browser tab as PronounsEnhanced. You can search for it on google and find the link.

OTG1ySn.jpg

I made a mental note of it when I saw it while searching for new mods, kinda surprised it was removed TBH.
Seems the mod mocked pronouns (added who/where as pronoun) and was made as part of the pushback against the removal of the other mod.

So still wrong-think on their book basically.

edit:
...who/where IS a mockery right? It isn't an actual pronoun right?

Last edited:

Kilau

Seems the mod mocked pronouns (added who/where as pronoun) and was made as part of the pushback against the removal of the other mod.

So still wrong-think on their book basically.

...who/where IS a mockery right? It isn't an actual pronoun right?
Makes sense then, I didn't look into it to see the mockery but hey, how can anyone claim who/where isn't a legitimate pronoun?

phant0m

NexusMods has banned a Starfield mod that permitted players to removed pronoun options from the game.

Nexus says that whilst the mod's removal was "not a political statement or an alignment to one side or the other in the culture war", it reserved the right "not to host" the mod on its platform.

NexusMods told 404 Media.
Really, dude? The first thread you made on this that got locked wasn’t sufficient?

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
"Don't worry, guys. Starfield's pronouns thing is not a big deal. It's so not a big deal that we'll cancel you and prevent you from changing it if you dare."
"You just have to use it. It's not a big deal. But try to remove it and we'll make sure you regret it."
"But it's not a big deal."

Last edited:

phant0m

If I want to play games with the mods I choose I should be able to do so.
If I want to remove pronouns and a mod is available I should be able to.

And you are. No one is stopping you from doing so. NexusMods is just choosing to not host it on their website.

By your own logic, NexusMods stance could be “if I want to choose which mods are hosted on my own servers, I should be able to do so”

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I;ve never used Nexus Mods, but checked it out. So a site that has downloaded nude skins with big bouncy tits, or making female characters with the skimpiest bikinis in crotch shots is ok.

But a mod to adjust he/she text is outlawed.

Yep. Sounds non-political to me. lol

Deuterium

Getting offended about a pronoun option = Stupid
Banning a mod removing a pronoun option = Stupid

Nope. Having a sense of righteous indignation, against behavior which denies a fundamental reality of human nature, is definitely NOT stupid...sorry. This becomes especially the case, when the people/groups/activists (whomever) require that you participate in their delusion and disorder.

Last edited:

phant0m

Nope. Having a sense of righteous indignation, against behavior which denies a fundamental reality of human nature, is definitely NOT stupid...sorry. This becomes especially the case, when the people/groups/activists (whomever) require that you participate in their delusion and disorder.

> Would you like your fictional character to be called “he” or “she”?

Ah yes, such delusional disorder. To the highest degree!

If you're looking for a site which hosts mods censored by Nexus Mods, including the Starfield 'No Pronouns' mod, simply Google for 'Based Mods'

I will not link it here for reasons which will be blindingly obvious if you actually look at that site

Unknown?

I don't think Microsoft or Bethesda is doing this based on anything with the "left" or "right" or "LGBTQ people" or anything even remotely like that, it makes much more sense that they're merely removing it because they do not wish to create a platform that supports the idea of some hate filled ideology regarding mods

No one should be surprised by any of this, I mean you don't think it's weird you can't make a bunch of mods with swastika's and talking about genocide and a bunch of weird racist shit?

That's like arguing that if something like this was removed from Source engine Valve must be part of the right or the left all this sounds to me is that this company wishes to maintain a positive PR and not support hate-filled ideology regarding their tools. And what's so fucking pathetic about this is you guys have not even remotely factor that you instantly just jumped to this idea that they must be part of one side or the other....

Sooooooooo I think you guys might need to calm down just a little bit and understand it from their prospective as a business. I don't know any fucking business thats out here supporting any of that shit to really act as if anyone is being "cancelled" when its their fucking tools in the first place, they own the game, they have every right to remove this and if you can even tell me of a company that out right supports that type of thing in mods, I'd love to hear about.

This sounds like a bunch of nothing tbh lol
How are mods removing something like pronouns anywhere near hate? Equating it to Swastikas is nonsense.

It's much more hateful to force people into something they don't believe in.

Last edited:
"Don't worry, guys. Starfield's pronouns thing is not a big deal. It's so not a big deal that we'll cancel you and prevent you from changing it if you dare."
"You just have to use it. It's not a big deal. But try to remove it and we'll make sure you regret it."
"But it's not a big deal."
Cancelled? Who? And its not a big deal, it was a silly mod on a platform that doesn't support the statement the mod was making.

Anyone who doesn't support it is cancelled or fired. Are you living under a rock? Canada is trying to pass laws where you go to jail for not affirming someone's pronouns.
You can go online and find whole media centers who spends millions trying to fight against the use of pronouns...you are not being cancelled for it. Just that the cultural pendulum isn't on the side of people against it, they aren't being cancelled over it. The canadian law just says you cant discriminate on gender expression...but if I tell someone my pronoun is he, and they go out the way to go "she she she" they are just an asshole. Don't be an asshole, you know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom