• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFOX 64 3D - July 14 in Japan (new site launch)

Thoraxes

Naked Snake said:
Complaining about ports should be a bannable offense, it's plaguing every 3DS thread. Clearly there is enough demand for these games. If you don't like them, don't buy them. For older folks who value nostalgia and for younger kids who never got to play them, these enhanced remasters of old classics is a gift from the heavens.
Completely agreed.
OOT and Star Fox 64 hold dear places in my gaming heart, and are games i'll never forget. To see them remastered is just fantastic, and really makes me very happy that these games have such a long-standing appreciation, and that they've (their gameplay that is) stood the test of time.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shiggy said:
Where's Krystal? :D
Katt Monroe was Krystal before Star Fox got furry'd out.

Starfox 64 is probably one of the games I hold in highest regard, but the prospect of paying $40 to play it all over again seems preposterous. And not just because handheld games shouldn't cost $40.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Surprised by people being astonished of another N64 port as if this is news. I thought GAF was home to the informed gamer.

Nessus

Dance In My Blood said:
And not just because handheld games shouldn't cost $40.

I'm curious: why not?

I know it's just an assumption pretty much everyone takes for granted, but, all things being equal, why should hand held games, simply by virtue of being on a hand held, cost less?

I mean, if they provide the same amount of content as a console game (not saying that the Star Fox 64 remaster does).

We're quickly approaching the point where the budgets for hand held games that really take advantage of the hardware are going to be pretty much the same as that of a console game.

Not picking on you, it's just I've never considered why we just assume hand held games should be cheaper, how $30 is some magical threshold past which it's no longer worth it.

Holy crap, that one came out of nowhere! Thought for sure that it was going to be a September-October release!

So I guess that means that a July or August release in the US/EU for Starfox 64 3D is a lock then. That will almost certainly mean that Kid Icarus will be August/September (the games are too similar to be released side by side)

The last 2 days have just been full of surprises from Nintendo it seems!

Yay! they kept the same stupid looking running animation for each character! :D

ChuckNoLuck said:
Nintendo keeps up their streak of terrible, terrible names for their games.

Still not as stupid as "Super Mario 64 DS"!

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Nuclear Muffin said:
The last 2 days have just been full of surprises from Nintendo it seems!

Not really. Release dates for games we already knew about, games we don't care about. Nothing worth talking about for the Wii or DS.

3DS everything is post June.

Meh.

VOOK said:
Not really. Release dates for games we already knew about, games we don't care about. Nothing worth talking about for the Wii or DS.

3DS everything is post June.

Meh.

Wii Play Motion? OoT being made by Grezzo? I didn't see those coming!

Madao

to all people bitching that this is a port: considering every starfox game in the last decade was trash, i'll gladly take this port over any new game they can come up. some things can't be replicated.

can't wait for july/august.

Rich!

Dance In My Blood said:
Starfox 64 is probably one of the games I hold in highest regard, but the prospect of paying $40 to play it all over again seems preposterous. And not just because handheld games shouldn't cost $40.

Going into UK talk for this, as it's the same situation.

£39.99 for the games RRP. Yeah, utter bullshit. However, there's this wonderful thing called the internet where you can pick them up for £29.99 or even cheaper!

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
they should at least put a 3d version of the SNES version on the cart.

Despite SF64 being the superior game, I'd much rather have a complete remake of the first one. The graphics in the first one are pretty terrible with awful pop-in, and I'm usually the last to complain about visuals. I played it a while ago, and it's pretty rough.

Granted it would take actual effort, but a StarFox SNES looking like this game would be great. As it is, SF64 3D is a moderate jump in graphics from SF64 with no real hook to those that already own the game. A shiny new StarFox SNES would feel much newer.

I'm ready for this. I remember paying obnoxious amounts back in the days for the cartridge (still being a school kid and all) I know I'll be getting a lot of mileage out of this one.

Dupy said:
Choppy framerate in Pilotwings Resort? What version are you playing?
He's been saying that in various threads. He seems to be the only one experiencing it. I'm very allergic to choppy framerates and PW only had minor slowdowns in a few instances.

Hylian7 said:
He means "choppy" as how it moves from 60 to lower (which is most of the time). It's more like an inconsistent framerate.
Never feels like 60 for me. Only playing in 3D of course, have to check if it's different for 2D.

PKrockin said:
+ Rayman 3D
DC port.

Kenka

Naked Snake said:
You better prepare to be "embarassed" then, because it will be full price.
Goddamn. I really can't say I am happy.

uchihasasuke said:
to all people bitching that this is a port: considering every starfox game in the last decade was trash, i'll gladly take this port over any new game they can come up. some things can't be replicated.

can't wait for july/august.
Did Nintendo lose its ability to make good Starfox games at some point ? If so, then fuck them. Why are they charging full price for a remake ?
Anyway, I'll buy it when it hits 10£ on Zavvi.

GooeyHeat

Most quotable game ever. Oh, and the gameplay's pretty good, too. I am ready to not be allowed to do that. I am ready to barrel roll. I am ready to never defeat Andross.

Mafro

Always-honest said:
sorry Ninty, not buying your ports anymore.

Get with gaming. Not just making money.
Bless you.

Can't wait for this. Played the hell out of Lylat Wars on the N64 and again on VC, it's probably in my top five of all time. I know that game like the back of my hand, so I'm looking forward to seeing all the changes they've made.

Izayoi

Banned
Bought the second it was announced.

I had so, so, so much fun with the N64 version. Here's hoping for at least local multiplayer.

JazzmanZ

ChuckNoLuck said:
Nintendo keeps up their streak of terrible, terrible names for their games.

What would you have rather have them name it?

Starfox 3DS? Because if they did that, there's gonna some stupid people thinking its a remake of the SNES one.

Blueblur1

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

WillyFive

The updated intro looks fantastic.

The music shown here is not orchestrated though.

Joseph Merrick said:
2 too many

No such thing. More good games means good. Believe it or not, not everyone had an N64 back in the 90's.

Pilotwings Resort is mostly 30FPS but sometimes jumps to 60FPS in certain circumstances.

3D has no effect on the framerate. It's exactly the same (jumps to 60FPS and all!) in either 2D or 3D.

Ive beat the game but I gladly will beat the awesomest that is StarFox64 the Lylat Wars in 3D various times more!

The intro in various gifs is awesome :lol screams 90's internet webpage.
The characters look awesome, I laugh that they didnt update Slippy's running animation, with this graphics it looks awkard.

Also, codec texts in spanish this time.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Isn't it a remake than a port? Look at that non-jaggy, non-polygonal models!

Shiggy said:
Where's Krystal? :D

Thank goodness she's not here! A shame no Panther, but if that means no shit like Krystal, I'm willing to take it.

Azure J

The best Starfox game and one of my most replayed and defining games of my childhood/lifetime revamped and sexy-d up on 3DS for on the go shenanigans. I can't describe to you how ready my body is. :lol

Barrett2

I never played this back in the day, I was on that PS1 train.

Is this game all air combat? Are you ever not in a space ship? Is it difficult? How long does it take to beat?

Akai

lawblob said:
I never played this back in the day, I was on that PS1 train.

Is this game all air combat? Are you ever not in a space ship? Is it difficult? How long does it take to beat?

You've got the Arwing, Landmaster tank, and Blue Marine (submarine)...

This is the map, with routes separated by difficulty:

hbrZb.jpg

GeekyDad

BorkBork said:
Makes 2. Damn, so many.

Rayman 3DS kinda falls into that category, regardless of what they actually built the game from. And his/her remark was probably more of a reaction to ports in general, rather than merely ports from N64 games. Splinter Cell, Dead or Alive, SSIV, etc., etc.

Either way, I still want this. It looks great. Same awesome gameplay, but I think 3D will do wonders for this game. While other folks are off trying to flex their gaming muscles, I just want to be entertained. This will work for me.

Naked Snake said:
Complaining about ports should be a bannable offense, it's plaguing every 3DS thread. Clearly there is enough demand for these games. If you don't like them, don't buy them. For older folks who value nostalgia and for younger kids who never got to play them, these enhanced remasters of old classics is a gift from the heavens.

Yes, by all means, silence the voices of dissent. No grumbling aloud. *rolls eyes*

Top Bottom