• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFOX 64 3D - July 14 in Japan (new site launch)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
NinjaTehFish said:
Yeah id prefer a new game in the series.

But c'mon it's Lylat Wars in 3D

Yeah. Motherfuckin Lylat Wars.
Well I check Nintendo.co.uk I couldn't see a listing for this so perhaps they will call in Lylat War 3D for us. Feel free to correct me.

So excited for this!

Game looks fantastic, and I have such fond memories of playing this game on the n64. I used to play through it every time I was sick and had to stay home from school.

BGBW said:
Well I check Nintendo.co.uk I couldn't see a listing for this so perhaps they will call it Lylat War 3D for us. Feel free to correct me.

I fucking hope so. StarFox 64 is a lame name in comparison to the brilliant LYLATWARS.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Green Scar said:
I fucking hope so. StarFox 64 is a lame name in comparison to the brilliant LYLATWARS.
Well NoE have been very careful to change all Starfox references of yore to StarWing and Lylatwars in games like Brawl. Here's hoping.

Boney

Banned
lawblob said:
I never played this back in the day, I was on that PS1 train.

Is this game all air combat? Are you ever not in a space ship? Is it difficult? How long does it take to beat?
Around 40 minutes if you don't die. You can only do a few missions in each run though, and you can activate these paths with some side objectives or clearing a high score.

Thing is, the game is infinately replayable.

BGBW said:
Well NoE have been very careful to change all Starfox references of yore to StarWing and Lylatwars in games like Brawl. Here's hoping.

Well Starwing was a bad compromise that everyone probably got weirded out by when it turned out you played as a fox. Lylatwars doesn't need to change. I'd hope they'd keep the Lylatwars name just to avoid that godawful "64 3D" part of the title.

They should just call it Starfox: Lylatwars 3D everywhere >_>

Akai

From The Dust said:
the old pic showed more options though. anyone who haven't played the game would think it's more linear than it is

I didn't want to confuse anyone into thinking they can just bounce between planets in any direction they want, which they can't (or at least couldn't in the original)...

Boney said:
Around 40 minutes if you don't die. You can only do a few missions in each run though, and you can activate these paths with some side objectives or clearing a high score.

Thing is, the game is infinately replayable.

Yeah, the thing to note to Star Fox 64 newbies is that you don't hit nearly every planet in a single play-through...

heringer

While I love Star Fox 64, I'll be pissed if they don't include more content. Star Fox 64 is way too short by today's standards.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
heringer said:
While I love Star Fox 64, I'll be pissed if they don't include more content. Star Fox 64 is way too short by today's standards.

Didn't the last news about this game stated that they'll add more stuff? I for one want Star Wolf mode.

Azure J

heringer said:

It's a score replay game for God's sake, what more can they put into it without ruining the pacing?

Then again, it's not like younger me didn't want an iron Man gaunlet course through every level in the game to show up on the main screen. :lol

I've never actually played this, even though I owned an N64 at the time - I didn't like the Starfox game on the DS, but I'm assuming this one is a whole lot better?

Emitan

Bootaaay said:
I've never actually played this, even though I owned an N64 at the time - I didn't like the Starfox game on the DS, but I'm assuming this one is a whole lot better?
I am an incredibly biased source (Star Fox 64 is my favorite game of all time), but trust me, Command is nothing compared to Star Fox 64.

str8-h4x

ANY HOPE FOR MULTIPLAYER?

I can remember being 12 years old and squealing like a girl "HE'S GOT THE BOMB! HE'S GOT THE BOOOOOOOMB!"

I'd like to relive that experience again, just for the lulz.

Maybe I should just play it on 64.....

Boney

Banned
Bootaaay said:
DS one is awful

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Looks superior to Ocarina graphically, dumping most of the sentimental Nintendo 64 graphics. There are only half a dozen titles Nintendo would really want to port from the Nintendo 64, so I hope we won't wait too long for them to start with the Gamecube (and Luigi's Mansion).

EvilMario said:
Looks superior to Ocarina graphically, dumping most of the sentimental Nintendo 64 graphics. There are only half a dozen titles Nintendo would really want to port from the Nintendo 64, so I hope we won't wait too long for them to start with the Gamecube (and Luigi's Mansion).

it may be due to some other team willing to make more drastic changes to the texture compared to Grezzo

heringer

AzureJericho said:
It's a score replay game for God's sake, what more can they put into it without ruining the pacing?

Then again, it's not like younger me didn't want an iron Man gaunlet course through every level in the game to show up on the main screen. :lol
Not this again. Look, score attacking doesn't make up for pure content. Not anymore. It's 2011 and the standards are higher for full price games. At the very least they should add online leaderboards.

Even Ocarina of Time, which is already a very meaty game, will pack Master Quest as extra content, so yeah, I expect more stuff from Star Fox 64 3D.

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
Not this again. Look, score attacking doesn't make up for pure content. Not anymore. It's 2011 and the standards are higher for full price games. At the very least they should add online leaderboards.

Even Ocarina of Time, which is already a very meaty game, will pack Master Quest as extra content, so yeah, I expect more stuff from Star Fox 64 3D.
i think online leaderboards were confirmed.

And your 2011 argument is stupid, if at 2011, you don't want to play any score attack game, fine don't, or wait till it's cheaper.

heringer said:
It's not for the majority of today's videogame crowd but I like it the way it is. Will be awesome for portable gaming too.

Kenka said:
Did Nintendo lose its ability to make good Starfox games at some point ? If so, then fuck them. Why are they charging full price for a remake ?
Anyway, I'll buy it when it hits 10£ on Zavvi.
You'll wait a long time then. I mean Metroid Other M was a huge bomba (going by Nintendo's standards) but I was just recently able to pick that up for 14£.

heringer

Boney said:
i think online leaderboards were confirmed.

And your 2011 argument is stupid, if at 2011, you don't want to play any score attack game, fine don't, or wait till it's cheaper.

Yeah, my argument is stupid because I think today's standards are higher and Nintendo, or any other publisher for that matter, should offer me more value for my money. I guess the smart thing is to be a part of the circle jerk.

Or maybe it's stupid to think people shouldn't express their valid dissatisfaction with something if they could just shut up and not buy the game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Billychu said:
I can't imagine it being first party when Ocarina isn't.

Its a first-party game. And still with EAD Group No.3 (Aonuma/Yokota/Miyamoto confirmed on it) just with Grezzo probably doing most of the programming and art. But with that said.. Star Fox is probably the same dynamic. With another small development team doing the labor.

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
Yeah, my argument is stupid because I think today's standards are higher and Nintendo, or any other publisher for that matter, should offer me more value for my money. I guess the smart thing is to be a part of the circle jerk.

Or maybe it's stupid to think people shouldn't express their valid dissatisfaction with something if they could just shut up and not buy the game.
If you don't like score attack games don't get them.

Simple.

Games drop in price as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Nessus said:
I'm curious: why not?

I know it's just an assumption pretty much everyone takes for granted, but, all things being equal, why should hand held games, simply by virtue of being on a hand held, cost less?

I mean, if they provide the same amount of content as a console game (not saying that the Star Fox 64 remaster does).

We're quickly approaching the point where the budgets for hand held games that really take advantage of the hardware are going to be pretty much the same as that of a console game.

Not picking on you, it's just I've never considered why we just assume hand held games should be cheaper, how $30 is some magical threshold past which it's no longer worth it.
I frankly do not believe that most handheld games have budgets anywhere near that of console games. Nintendo prices their handheld games on the most the market will pay rather than what the development costs actually are.

Two things complicate the matter. The first is that a number of handheld games being released right now for the 3DS reuse assets/levels/gameplay from other games and presents them on a lesser platform. This in itself isn't damnable, but the prices on these experiences is far higher than their console counterparts. To make matters worse the prices on a large number of Nintendo handheld games simply do not drop. Ever. Without a low entry point these titles simply sit at an exorbitant price while the superior versions can be picked up for a fraction of the price.

Additionally, we have the download space pushing out games that I would deem above or around the quality level of handheld games at 1/3rd or 1/4th of the price. I simply find it increasingly difficult to justify paying 4/5ths of what I pay for a AAA title when all I'm getting is a handheld game.

Taker666

It'll be interesting to see how (or if) this game will cope with 3D crosstalk/ghosting.

I noticed a fair bit of annoying crosstalk on Pilotwings Resort when you had the 3D high and you had a white balloon/bright yellow ring against a darker background.

The devs will have to be careful...as the outerspace sections could be a mess with double images if you have bright ships/effects/objects against a black outerspace background.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Seda said:
Not first party Nintendo games. Not for a long time.

Depend on their sales, but their big guns like mario kart will never drop in price.

heringer

Boney said:
If you don't like score attack games don't get them.

Simple.

Games drop in price as well.
It is simple, but you missed my point.

I don't have a problem with score attack games. Vanquish is a score attack game and is 6 hours long.

My problem is with the thought that score attack makes up for pure content when it doesn't.

And please stop this "if you don't like it wait for a price drop" bullshit. That's not the point here. If someone charge me full price for something when I don't think they should be charging full price I will call them out. Deal with it. Most people (including you) do it everytime with the likes of Ubisoft and Activision, so why should it be any different with Nintendo?

m.i.s.

Banned
Nessus said:
I'm curious: why not?

I know it's just an assumption pretty much everyone takes for granted, but, all things being equal, why should hand held games, simply by virtue of being on a hand held, cost less?

I mean, if they provide the same amount of content as a console game (not saying that the Star Fox 64 remaster does).

We're quickly approaching the point where the budgets for hand held games that really take advantage of the hardware are going to be pretty much the same as that of a console game.

Not picking on you, it's just I've never considered why we just assume hand held games should be cheaper, how $30 is some magical threshold past which it's no longer worth it.

We've been through this issue before with the high price of PSP software (the price that Nintendo is now asking for for 3DS games). I think you'll find that the market for a remake of a game from two gens ago at that price is very, very small. Only the absolute cream of the crop will sell at that price - and even that on significant discounts.

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
It is simple, but you missed my point.

I don't have a problem with score attack games. Vanquish is a score attack game and is 6 hours long.

My problem is with the thought that score attack makes up for pure content when it doesn't.

And please stop this "if you don't like it wait for a price drop" bullshit. That's not the point here. If someone charge me full price for something when I don't think they should be charging full price I will call them out. Deal with it. Most people (including you) do it everytime with the likes of Ubisoft and Activision, so why should it be any different with Nintendo?
Your argument is trying to create a standard in which all of us should abide to

ie "It's 2011 standards"

Score attack don't make for pure content, but it's simbiosis with level design does. Starfox 64 has this.

and today's standards are actually lower for the most part, at least personally speaking.

MisterHero

M.I.S. said:
Only the absolute cream of the crop will sell at that price - and even that on significant discounts.
Well it's a good thing that Starfox 64 is a great game. Even Nintendo makes great games that struggle to sell even after a price drop, like the Metroid Prime series (and Trilogy!).

The problem with Nintendo issuing smaller prices on games is that they'd be competing even further with 3rd-Parties who are trying to sell retail Wii and DS games. And as we've seen, there are so many "barriers" to 3rd-Party success on Nintendo's platforms without being undercut.

I wouldn't reduce StarFox 64's price anyways until a lot of time has passed and Nintendo's moved on to other things. It's a truly solid and well-made game.

and why buy remakes on PSP when you can have the OG product on emulators for free hohoho*

*that last line was a joke. But seriously about emulators, the game is available for $10 on Wii.

Preordering the japanese version as soon as it's up!

Zelda in June, Starfox in July, the short term future for the console is bright!

DogBounce.gif

Top Bottom