• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STARFOX 64 3D - July 14 in Japan (new site launch)

heringer

Boney said:
Your argument is trying to create a standard in which all of us should abide to

ie "It's 2011 standards"

Score attack don't make for pure content, but it's simbiosis with level design does. Starfox 64 has this.

and today's standards are actually lower for the most part, at least personally speaking.
I'm not trying to force anything over you buddy. I'm only stating my opinion that yes, standards are higher today. And I think most people would agree. You don't often see score attack games that short being sold at full price, or do you? You actually see a lot of them being sold through digital distribution for much cheaper prices. Now, I do think Star Fox is a franchise that absolutely should be in the "full price tier", but they should add more content for that. I buy their games and systems all the time, so I think they should be offering me more, period.

You have every right to disagree and claim that Star Fox 64 is "infinitely replayable" (I think it's an outlandish claim, because it only applies to people who loves the core formula to death - a small niche of people - but to each their own). However it's not cool to think that anyone not happy with their offering should just shup up and not buy the game.

Boney

Banned
heringer said:
I'm not trying to force anything over you buddy. I'm only stating my opinion that yes, standards are higher today. And I think most people would agree. You don't often see score attack games that short being sold at full price, or do you? You actually see a lot of them being sold through digital distribution for much cheaper prices. Now, I do think Star Fox is a franchise that absolutely should be in the "full price tier", but they should add more content for that. I buy their games and systems all the time, so I think they should be offering me more, period.

You have every right to disagree and claim that Star Fox 64 is "infinitely replayable" (I think it's an outlandish claim, because it only applies to people who loves the core formula to death - a small niche of people - but to each their own). However it's not cool to think that anyone not happy with their offering should just shup up and not buy the game.
At the end of the day, people vote with their wallets. Remember that.

I think people's standards are lower because have trouble even biting at Super Meat Boy, yet can buy stuff like Heavy Rain.

Ok so you want "more content". What kind? Extended campaign like Assault? On foot Missions?

Online leader boards and online multiplayer are pretty much in. So where does that leave us?

Jarmel

Banned
FlashbladeGAF said:
DogBounce.gif

This is godly.

MisterHero

Boney said:

I think people's standards are lower because have trouble even biting at Super Meat Boy, yet can buy stuff like Heavy Rain.
that's because you can play the quality Super Meat Boy game for freeee thanks to its original Flash incarnation (I'm not saying they're the same but the original is pretty feature-packed already)

see even a low-price downloadable title has the same problem

maybe Starfox 64 3D is in trouble because the original version is selling for $10 (*HINT HINT* some of you guys who want it cheaper)

heringer

Boney said:

Ok so you want "more content". What kind? Extended campaign like Assault? On foot Missions?

Online leader boards and online multiplayer are pretty much in. So where does that leave us?
An updated version of the original game included would be nice. Maybe new planets, an achievement system, collectables, more modes, minigames... you name it. No on foot missions though, keep that shit away.

I wasn't aware that the game would include online multiplayer. Is that really confirmed? That's a great addition, one that helps to alleviate my problems with the price. They should add more depth to the multiplayer mode itself though, since as it is it's a fun diversion, but with little staying power.

MisterHero said:
maybe Starfox 64 3D is in trouble because the original version is selling for $10 (*HINT HINT* some of you guys who want it cheaper)
Actually, I already have the VC version. That's one of the reasons I'm not happy with the price.

Gravijah

Boney said:

Every stage should have 4-5 alternate missions with different enemy/boss placement.

WillyFive

supabrett said:
Release the original with updated graphics Nintendo. 64 is good but was such a dissapointment compared to the first one.

Ha ha what? Nostalgia is a powerful thing.

But it would be nice to have the SNES one with updated graphics.

Huff

Banned
MisterHero said:

How well did the 64 version sell? Is there actually a demand for this game?

I don't see any advantage to getting the 3DS version instead of the VC version.

Boney

Banned
Varjet said:
But Assault had less missions than 64. No branching paths either.
they were longer though... agh so awful

Gravijah said:
Every stage should have 4-5 alternate missions with different enemy/boss placement.
Well yeah, extra's are gonna be in, but who knows in what capacity.

MisterHero

How would nostalgia affect SNES but not 64?
the original was enjoyable if you could ignore the framerate issues. Warioware Wii corrected this and it was great fun lol

my favorite parts about it were the Corneria theme and dinosaur pilots floating in space after you destroy their ships

it was alright but I cannot see how one could hold it over 64

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
BorkBork said:
Makes 2. Damn, so many.

Yeah, well when that's the only really compelling software on the damn system, it's a bit troubling.

...though this and OOT are what will get me to buy a system, so I guess they're doing something right.

Gravijah

MisterHero said:
the original was enjoyable if you could ignore the framerate issues. Warioware Wii corrected this and it was great fun lol

my favorite parts about it were the Corneria theme and dinosaur pilots floating in space after you destroy their ships

it was alright but I cannot see how one could hold it over 64

Superior art style
Superior music
Superior stages
Superior bosses
Superior enemies
No all range mode
No sub/tank stages

Boney

Banned
Varjet said:
Only if you don't know where to go.
let's just not talk about that... thing

SNES and 64 ones are different beasts altogether. Prefer 64 though, especially because the SNES ones is hindered by it's technical limitations.

udivision

Gravijah said:
Superior art style
Superior music
Superior stages
Superior bosses
Superior enemies
No all range mode
No sub/tank stages

That has to be the worst list of reasons... I don't even know where to begin.

Gravijah

udivision said:
*Looks at list*
Superior art style?

Okay, I probably shouldn't even bother.

You got to "superior music" and realized you couldn't argue. It's OK, there is no argument. Everyone accepts it sooner or later.

udivision

Gravijah said:
Superior art style
Superior stages
Superior bosses
Superior enemies
I'd be interested in hearing your case for these.
I have no interest in telling you were opinion is wrong, just wanna know what your thoughts are.

Gravijah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1QzW9hS1oo

There is more atmosphere in the intro of SF1 than there is fog in SF64.

udivision said:
I'd be interested in hearing your case for these.
I have no interest in telling you were opinion is wrong, just wanna know what your thoughts are.

Honestly? I just prefer SF1 to 64. I replay it a few times a year.

And shh, this is a secret: I don't actually hate SF64. In fact, I love it.

MisterHero

I just saw the opening cutscene for the game. Looks great lol

One legitimate concern I do have towards the game is that Laser is mapped to A and Smartbomb is mapped to Y. That makes it a bit harder to fire Homing Smartbombs.

Gravijah said:
You got to "superior music" and realized you couldn't argue. It's OK, there is no argument. Everyone accepts it sooner or later.
nope just Corneria

but I do miss the StarFox puppets on the box

I didn't take you to be such a minimalist :p

Gravijah said:
Superior art style
Superior music
Superior stages
Superior bosses
Superior enemies
No all range mode
No sub/tank stages

Come on Gravijah, this list is not really good.

Superior art style - Come on, no. Its very retro when you see it now and cool in its own, but you cant compare it with the 64 one.
Superior music - Matter of opinion, I like both equally
Superior stages - Again depends of liking shooting arcade or try not to get flatten by huge 3D shapes
Superior bosses - Some yes, other no. The enemies per se as characters, are MUCH better in Lylat Wars.
Superior enemies - NO, the majority are in both games, the character enemies trump all over the old ones.
No all range mode - Varied the N64 game, were good fun.
No sub/tank stage - Varied the N64 game, were good fun.

WillyFive

The original Star Fox is a classic, but Star Fox 64 is simply better.

Gravijah said:
Start at the top and then go down.

Superior art style?

Fox_McCloud.png

Nope.

Superior music?

I would say they are even in composition quality, but better sound quality on the N64 makes it win.

Superior stages?

In what way?

Superior bosses?

Look out! It's a polygon!

Superior enemies?

Look out! Smaller polygons!

And the SNES game is lacking in Star Wolf, so it loses by default.

Not only that, the SNES game is missing All-Range mode and the tanks and sub.

Gravijah

Willy105 said:
Superior art style?

Fox_McCloud.png

Nope.

Superior music?

I would say they are even in composition quality, but better sound quality on the N64 makes it win.

Superior stages?

In what way?

Superior bosses?

Look out! It's a polygon!

Superior enemies?

Look out! Smaller polygons!

And the SNES game is lacking in Star Wolf, so it loses by default.

Not only that, the SNES game is missing All-Range mode and the tanks and sub.

Come on, that version of Star Fox is so much better. Plus, the babble. The babble! And did you just say the sound quality in SF64 was better?! Rubbish!

WillyFive

Gravijah said:
Come on, that version of Star Fox is so much better. Plus, the babble. The babble! And did you just say the sound quality in SF64 was better?! Rubbish!

The "voice clips" from Star Fox are cute in theory, but on a SNES it just sounds like a low rumbling sound. Noise.

Star Fox 64 not only has real voice acting, but good ones, with memorable lines to boot. And I prefer MIDI trumpets that sound like trumpets.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Haha this will be a fun game. Hopefully they add some new modes, replayability, Street Pass BS with the new package.

robor

Gravijah said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1QzW9hS1oo

There is more atmosphere in the intro of SF1 than there is fog in SF64.

Honestly? I just prefer SF1 to 64. I replay it a few times a year.

And shh, this is a secret: I don't actually hate SF64. In fact, I love it.

I agree 1 billion times over. SF1 for the win. It's the reason why the REAL SF2 broke my heart when it was cancelled.

MisterHero

neo2046 said:
I really like this super Famicom one

irTFY.jpg
How can Nintendo be confused for a kiddy company when they have at least 3 seperate mercenary/bounty hunter characters and they are all badass

(Fox/Samus/Captain Falcon)

:p

Londa

Banned
Captain Falcon rarely gets love. I've only played one game of his and it was the racing one on the Gamecube. That was fun o_o!

Top Bottom